Reusing existing faces

crowe1

I'm not certain if any of you do this as well, but last year I'd open the models.big file with the EA graphics editor, match up faces to the portraits of MLB and minor league players and add them in with MVP edit.

The way I see it is, that a resemblence is WAY better than the generic faces EA uses, plus, it erases the generic portrait once you change the face id #.

I've finished some of the Indians for this year. An * means that you have to make certain that the "04 face" selection is indicated as YES

Wickman 362

J.Davis 270

Riske 533

Cabrera 406

Crisp *376 (I don't like it but it's the best I could find)

Cruceta *341

Guthrie 605

Sizemore *276 (don't care for this one either)

Stanford 535

Tallet 229

Elarton 258

Howry 277

Betancourt *381

Shuey 567

Choy Foo *254

Peralta 69

Tadano 92

Bere 549

I'll eventually do all MLB, AAA, AA and single A players once a definative roster comes out. Let me know if anyone else does this so that we can share ID numbers.

Vince

I've finished the Indians for this season but I did all of MLB and the minors with last years game and they look great. I was hoping that others did this as well so that I don't have to go through about a months work to complete this years rosters. Some players look fine with the generic face images, so you have to preview their portrait with the face image in MVP edit to get a better idea if you need to replace their faces.

Give it a try and you'll see how it greatly improves the game, especially by not seeing the same faces over and over again in the minors. Just make sure if it is a MVP 2004 "half face" image, that you indicate "YES" in the MVPedit "04 face"field. The game will not crash but it distorts the faces.

Vince

Hey Crowe,

I do that with the Classic '60s Rosters ............ takes time doesn't it. Moving to 2005 has been a challenge in this area but I am slowly working through it. Seems like the Skin tones need to be bumped up 1 - 2 notches on a lot of the players to better match their face tones ..............

Any friend of AlexTony is a friend of mine ........ glad to see you here at MVPMods.......

Take Care,

Don

New Orleans

AlexTony-Man, I haven't seen your name in a long time. How've ya been?

Don-Thank God! I thought that perhaps, I was the only one doing this. Yes, you're right, the skin tones have changed a bit and I really don't care for the format for this years faces, although there are now over 100 additional images to choose from compared to last years 490 or so.

Vince

been doing all right sir. am making an effort to get a few more classic

player faces in the game. willing to donate for time/efforts to anyone

interested that has the ability. thanks to the efforts of fellows like

rglass, fuzz, stecropper, rolie, sandman, cartsyard, capa, paulw, etc. we have

brought some of the classics (EA provides an excellent start) back

'to life' :) here at mvp mods

Finally a top I will add to my favorites in my web browser. I did this thisyear. But only for a few players so that my when I play my dynasty things will look better. For Andy Marte, the rookie 3b in AA, I gave him Raul Mondesi's face. I didn't change the skin tone. You can give him Aparicio's face as well if you wish. For Kyle Davies, since he looks italian I gave him Jason Marquis face. And I gave J.D. Drew's face to the outfielder Francouer but I should not have. Francouer does not sport a goatee. I should have given him some other face, like maybe Wright's face from the Mets. Maybe we should do this guys. Someone at least. Do it to where you get a print screen of every face and next to the face have the number. You know? Like, if I wanted to change the 2b rookie's face on the Astros I would want to know who's face resembles his. Well, all I came up with was either Marcus Giles' face or Wrights face from the Mets. I think that was who it was. Either way, it would have been quicker if I had the face to look at on hand and the number right there. You know? Hey, what does this mean: "Give it a try and you'll see how it greatly improves the game, especially by not seeing the same faces over and over again in the minors. Just make sure if it is a MVP 2004 "half face" image, that you indicate "YES" in the MVPedit "04 face"field. The game will not crash but it distorts the faces. ". I have not come across this problem and don't know what this means.

UncleMo,

I agree a hardcopy printout of these faces with associated #, skin tone etc would be very useful. But I think that would also be a very difficult and time consuming thing to get together.

Here is what I did in lieu of what you suggest above. With MVPEdit I went through each team player by player including Legends/Heroes, Free Agents etc. Wrote down his Photo#, Face# and SkinTone. Plus indicated if he had any Facial Hair like mustache or beard.

Then I created a MVPEdit League (.mbe file) for each Skin Tone type and named them like "Faces Skin Tone 1"; Faces Skin Tone 9" etc etc. Even created some individual .mbe's specifically for those with Facial Hair.

Then I keyed in, beginning with the 1st Team "Anaheim Angel", and changed each player to a Photo#, Face# & SkinTone from my previously created list for that particular Skin Tone.

Then when I want to assign a face to a player I would just go to that .mbe file (the one most closely resembleing his SkinTone) and scan through each player's photo (have to have portraits and faces options turned on) to see who most closely resembled the player I was trying to find a face for. Then once I found it that is the one I would use.

Made things a lot quicker once these individual Face type .mbe files were created.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Don

Should have added that when I created the individual Face File (.mbe) I also changed the players name to the Face Number I used so I could see them in the list easily. Plus this also allowed me to know what face # it was when ever I went into the game to view them with the Edit feature. You can get a perfect idea of how a particular face looks within the game by going through them 1 by 1 while in Roster Edit mode within the game ---- However it is much faster to scan through via MVPEdit although sometimes you don't really know exactly how that face will look once in the game.

crowe, you gonna keep going? If so can you make a list of the names with the newer numbers to the right. And, if you put a heading above like A, AA, AAA, MLB then we'd be much cooler. Like, I will prob. use your coco crisp numbers , but i'm more interested in changing the a, aa, and aaa players so that as i play this game, over time, faces won't all be stupid generic looking but be unique.

UncleMo-Yeah, I'll eventually do every single player in the majors and minor leagues once a complete roster set comes out and all of the portrait mods are in place. I did it last year but it took a LONG time to do. Thanks for some of your suggestions.

I've found the easiest way to expidite the process is to:

A. Copy each face .fsh file in MVP edit and save as ID# specific, bitmaps to a designated folder that corresponds to their looks (e.g. Latin-Caucasian-Black-Asian) and have sub folders for each classification (beard,goatee,mustache) as well.

B. Go to minorleaguebaseball.com to cross-reference their photo with a similar face image

C. Apply the ID # in MVPedit for each player. If it is an MVP 2004 "half face" image, apply YES in the "04 Face" option field. Very important.

D. Export the data in MVPedit to MVP 2005

E. Check your results in the in-game editor for the changed players so that you can match up skin tones, etc.

Hope this helps. Right now, I'm still working on a few stadium mods(kind of my specialty as some of the old HH players remember) but I'll start working on the rest of the Indians minor league rosters this weekend and post what I have.

Vince

dangit. i'm using your numbers. you should have included first names bro. theres several stanfords, various guthries, etc. etc. oh well i'll shut up.

??? Not on the Indians major league and minor league rosters.

Jason Stanford

Jeremy Guthrie

I'm not sure which others you need. Let me know.

Vince

Archived