True Pronunciation of Roger Moret's Name

eskie01

I was just trying to work on my own version of Roger Moret's player audio when I ran into a snafoo with the "last-name-only" so I thought I'd check the Mod's version in the TCs 1971, 1974, & 1977 and I found that whoever did the player name for him got Moret's pronunciation incorrect.  There were actually 2 pronunciations for his name...an English version that you can hear if you go onto You-Tube and watch either the 1975 ALCS games or the Series games, and that pronunciation is and as I have attached below...Roger (like Roger Moore or Roger Repoz of the 71 Halos and Moret pronounced (mor [w/slight "R" sound] - RETT).  Then there was the spanish or Hispanic name (which was on some of the topps cards in the early 70's, Rogelio Moret.  That's pronounced (row-HE-le-o mor [again slight r sound in he "or"]-RAY).  I got that pronunciation from a former teamer in Jr. High who took Spanish when he went to college.  Also I'm sure that Bernie Carbo would be glad to borrow my "sign-in" to help you guys out...Padres67 knows him too.

I hope this clears up problems and helps fellas out.

Eskie01

RogerMoret_1972Topps 1.jpg

RogerMoret_1974Topps 1.jpg

RogerMoret71c3.wav

Yeah, thanks. The talented guys behind those mods must have spent so many sleepless nights wondering how to pronounce this guy's name. :wacko:

I remember this guy very well. After he got traded from Boston his career went downhill and even had a nervous breakdown later on.  I always pronounced his name MORE-ET and let it go at that.

And if Bernie Carbo wants to come in here and help us out in here with this very important bit of news he can join up himself. He was a good ballplayer and I would love to read about his baseball experiences.

I guess you don't care if things are done right or not.  That's YOUR prerogative.  Then you're saying that someone who mispronounces a player's name is talented??  I wonder if Mr. Moret would think it's important or what if somebody would mispronounce your name...I guess that don't matter either...huh??

Somehow, I don't think Mr. Carbo would be interested in someplace where nobody cares about somebody pronouncing his teammate's name incorrectly.

Eskie01

10 minutes ago, eskie01 said:

I guess you don't care if things are done right or not.  That's YOUR prerogative.  Then you're saying that someone who mispronounces a player's name is talented??  I wonder if Mr. Moret would think it's important or what if somebody would mispronounce your name...I guess that don't matter either...huh??

I highly doubt Moret would care right now since he has been deceased almost two years.

And by the way my last name has been mispronounced all my life. If that's the only thing I have to be concerned about then I will take that every time.

15 minutes ago, eskie01 said:

Somehow, I don't think Mr. Carbo would be interested in someplace where nobody cares about somebody pronouncing his teammate's name incorrectly.

Eskie01

And somehow I think Mr. Carbo can think for himself.

I wonder if Mr. Moret's family would care...I guess you forgot about them.  I've known Mr. Carbo for awhile now and I don't think he would want to be apart of a site when somebody keeps badgering somebody else when they try to help other members.  You need to do a search for his website and read his testimony about how he put his faith & trust in Jesus Christ!  Maybe that's who you need in YOUR life.  It might do ya some good!  If Christ can save Bernie out of drugs, alcohol and keep him from committing suicide, Jesus Christ can help you too.  He also did the same for the White Sox Pat Kelly!

Eskie01

9 hours ago, eskie01 said:

I was just trying to work on my own version of Roger Moret's player audio when I ran into a snafoo with the "last-name-only" so I thought I'd check the Mod's version in the TCs 1971, 1974, & 1977 and I found that whoever did the player name for him got Moret's pronunciation incorrect.

The creator of the audios used in those and many other classic mods is a guy named Hory, a modder from New Zealand.  He created hundreds of player, team name and stadium name audios and is a legend around here.  Unfortunately, he has not been around for many years, so only the MVPMods oldtimers will remember him.  Considering the number of audios he created and how much more enjoyable they make the classic mods, I think most would be willing to overlook a mispronunciation or two.

By your logic, however, the mispronunciation means that Hory cannot be considered talented.  I think that most here would beg to differ.

Hey that's your prerogative, but Mr. Yankee didn't mention about Mr. Hory.  It seems of late the advice seems to be "Look it up for yourself!!!", I'm just glad that Don Cropper didn't have that mindset or "Ballfour" either for that matter.  Now they are/were 2 classy individuals that didn't give a "gruff" answer but they did what they could do to help.  That's what a particular game or software website is about!  I wonder what somebody would've said to me if I would have done the same exact thing as Mr. Hory...would they have said, "If you can't do mods better than that, then get outa here!"

There's a member that just asked me for some help about portraits, maybe I could say like some others..."Look it up for yourself!!!", BUT I'm NOT going to, I'm goin' to try to help the gentleman out like I would want somebody to help me.

Eskie01

You’re the one who started things going in the wrong direction with the comment in your first post: 

“Bernie Carbo would be glad to borrow my “sign-in” to help you guys out”

Who says we need help? Besides name dropping, what was the point of that comment other than pointing out a flaw in somebody else’s work?  Explain how that’s supposed to be helpful. 

If you want me to be as “helpful” as you and point out flaws in your mods, I can, but that’s not my style. My definition of “helpful”is different than yours. 

What’s that old saying?  People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones . . . 

14 hours ago, eskie01 said:

I wonder if Mr. Moret's family would care...I guess you forgot about them. 

No, I didn't forget about his family. I wasn't even thinking of them. Why should Moret's family care about how his name is pronounced in a mod? You are ridiculous.

14 hours ago, eskie01 said:

I've known Mr. Carbo for awhile now and I don't think he would want to be apart of a site when somebody keeps badgering somebody else when they try to help other members.

There you go doing his thinking for him again. It is a miracle that Bernie Carbo survived all these years before knowing you just so you could make his decisions for him.

Oh, and it should have read he would want to be a part of a site instead of he would want to be apart of a site. Spend some time on basic grammar instead of assuming what another person may or may not do.

5 hours ago, eskie01 said:

Hey that's your prerogative, but Mr. Yankee didn't mention about Mr. Hory.  It seems of late the advice seems to be "Look it up for yourself!!!", I'm just glad that Don Cropper didn't have that mindset or "Ballfour" either for that matter.  Now they are/were 2 classy individuals that didn't give a "gruff" answer but they did what they could do to help.  That's what a particular game or software website is about!  I wonder what somebody would've said to me if I would have done the same exact thing as Mr. Hory...would they have said, "If you can't do mods better than that, then get outa here!"

I can not believe you really went there, but ok. Here goes.

Mr. Yankee didn't mention about Mr. Hory because Mr. Hory was here before you and left before you arrived. Why should I bring up people you are not familiar with? The answer you got from me was the one you deserved as soon as you threw that comment about you "lending" your log-in to this website to help us out. I personally would love to see him do that because if he does I'll be ready.

Mr. Yankee also didn't mention about Mr. Hory because Mr. Hory's work speaks for itself. Besides the hundreds of audios that he made that can be found all over the Total Classics Phase 10 mod and many other Total Classics season mods he also made something called Total Portraits for every major league team when the game first came out. The guy then as in now did not need me to praise or promote his work because it spoke for itself.

Mr. Yankee didn't mention that Mr. Hory spent eighteen months creating the Total Classics 1994 mod, a mod that is still popular today. He spent all that time making sure everything in it was just right and when it was released it was a big hit. I still play it to this day. Now, there was a guy named BRobby05 (remember him?) and he made a Total Classics mod too. The 1971 mod that he made was, to put it as diplomatically as I can was unorganized. That mod was originally uploaded in five (????) parts that made installing it a pain in the neck. Jim and Dennis James had to fix the mod and then re-release it to make it easy to install and be playable. Mr. Hory's mod did not require that to be done.

2 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

No, I didn't forget about his family. I wasn't even thinking of them. Why should Moret's family care about how his name is pronounced in a mod? You are ridiculous.

There you go doing his thinking for him again. It is a miracle that Bernie Carbo survived all these years before knowing you just so you could make his decisions for him.

Oh, and it should have read he would want to be a part of a site instead of he would want to be apart of a site. Spend some time on basic grammar instead of assuming what another person may or may not do.

I can not believe you really went there, but ok. Here goes.

Mr. Yankee didn't mention about Mr. Hory because Mr. Hory was here before you and left before you arrived. Why should I bring up people you are not familiar with? The answer you got from me was the one you deserved as soon as you threw that comment about you "lending" your log-in to this website to help us out. I personally would love to see him do that because if he does I'll be ready.

Mr. Yankee also didn't mention about Mr. Hory because Mr. Hory's work speaks for itself. Besides the hundreds of audios that he made that can be found all over the Total Classics Phase 10 mod and many other Total Classics season mods he also made something called Total Portraits for every major league team when the game first came out. The guy then as in now did not need me to praise or promote his work because it spoke for itself.

Mr. Yankee didn't mention that Mr. Hory spent eighteen months creating the Total Classics 1994 mod, a mod that is still popular today. He spent all that time making sure everything in it was just right and when it was released it was a big hit. I still play it to this day. Now, there was a guy named BRobby05 (remember him?) and he made a Total Classics mod too. The 1971 mod that he made was, to put it as diplomatically as I can was unorganized. That mod was originally uploaded in five (????) parts that made installing it a pain in the neck. Jim and Dennis James had to fix the mod and then re-release it to make it easy to install and be playable. Mr. Hory's mod did not require that to be done.

Well, did you look up his websites or NOT???  Why have YOU been on my back ever since I was on here???  Answer that to Jim & I...especially me.  I can upload a decent mod and have 5 guys say it's really nice but of course you have to badger me about...why is THAT???  When guys like Don Cropper, BallFour, DennisJames, can be decent and helpful then you have to badger me instead.  Why aren't THEY getting on my case like you do???  Answer that!!!  I'm going to STAY RIGHT HERE!!!  I'm NOT leaving because of ANYTHING you say!!!  I'm gettin' a little sick of it...why don't you grow up like the rest.  I WASN'T putting Mr. Hory down...what he did and how is his business.  I was taught from little up to take my time on something and DO IT RIGHT!!!  That attitude and the Lord's help got me decent raises where I worked until my brain surgery.  I was just doing some instructing there about Roger Moret's name pronunciation so if someone wants to correct it...they can.  Maybe there's others that want to have their game more realistic than you do.

I shared the above note with you "buddy" a couple minutes ago...sooo I'd appreciate it if you GET HIM OFF MY BACK...PLEASE!!!

If you remember correctly people were on me about like for example, "I wonder when it's going to be released?", "I don't think there is such a thing!", etc.  Remember that...or did you forget??  That's why I put it up and I would continue to work on it and do what needed to be done.  Then YOUR BUDDY started up and hounded me and remember...I got sooo sick of it, that I left.  This time there's nobody going to influence me to leave.  He's the one who started hounding me...NOT Dennis James, NOT BallFour, and especially NOT Padres67.  BTW, what were you going to do if Bernie got on here...HUH?  Badger him like you two do to me???  I wouldn't expose him to your "buddy" especially.  I have noticed that he usually gets on new people especially and says, "Look it up for YOURSELVES!!!"  Wouldn't that apply to ALL the members?  This is ENOUGH!

Eskie01

5 hours ago, Jim825 said:

You’re the one who started things going in the wrong direction with the comment in your first post: 

“Bernie Carbo would be glad to borrow my “sign-in” to help you guys out”

Who says we need help? Besides name dropping, what was the point of that comment other than pointing out a flaw in somebody else’s work?  Explain how that’s supposed to be helpful. 

If you want me to be as “helpful” as you and point out flaws in your mods, I can, but that’s not my style. My definition of “helpful”is different than yours. 

What’s that old saying?  People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones . . . 

Well, did you look up his websites or NOT???  Why have YOU been on my back ever since I was on here???  Answer that to Jim & I...especially me.  I can upload a decent mod and have 5 guys say it's really nice but of course you have to badger me about...why is THAT???  When guys like Don Cropper, BallFour, DennisJames, can be decent and helpful then you have to badger me instead.  Why aren't THEY getting on my case like you do???  Answer that!!!  I'm going to STAY RIGHT HERE!!!  I'm NOT leaving because of ANYTHING you say!!!  I'm gettin' a little sick of it...why don't you grow up like the rest.  I WASN'T putting Mr. Hory down...what he did and how is his business.  I was taught from little up to take my time on something and DO IT RIGHT!!!  That attitude and the Lord's help got me decent raises where I worked until my brain surgery.  I was just doing some instructing there about Roger Moret's name pronunciation so if someone wants to correct it...they can.  Maybe there's others that want to have their game more realistic than you do.

I shared the above note with you "buddy" a couple minutes ago...sooo I'd appreciate it if you GET HIM OFF MY BACK...PLEASE!!!

If you remember correctly people were on me about like for example, "I wonder when it's going to be released?", "I don't think there is such a thing!", etc.  Remember that...or did you forget??  That's why I put it up and I would continue to work on it and do what needed to be done.  Then YOUR BUDDY started up and hounded me and remember...I got sooo sick of it, that I left.  This time there's nobody going to influence me to leave.  He's the one who started hounding me...NOT Dennis James, NOT BallFour, and especially NOT Padres67.  BTW, what were you going to do if Bernie got on here...HUH?  Badger him like you two do to me???  I wouldn't expose him to your "buddy" especially.  I have noticed that he usually gets on new people especially and says, "Look it up for YOURSELVES!!!"  Wouldn't that apply to ALL the members?  This is ENOUGH!

Eskie01

You’re right. This IS enough and it’s gotten too far off topic.

You released a new mod to make the game better. Thanks for your contribution. 

There is nothing else to discuss so this thread can now be closed. 

Thanks Jim. That was the right move.

Y4L

Archived