how are you guys backing up your data?

bravesj858

are we talking about default data or modded data? most if not all of the default data can be pulled from one of the two game discs. or you can just create a seperate file somewhere else (i named mine defaultmvp05). also what i do in addition since i'm on 56k is i have another folder named modmvp05 which like the name implies- contains stuff like my modded models portraits data and stadiums and initstaz.big (which i overwrite anytime i make a change to them) and i burn that to disc every few weeks. which did come in handy since i lost my whole system last week. try downloading all these mods over and over on dial-up. i'm not quite as lucky as the h who lives in houston so he probably has broadband, i live 10 minutes outside of san antonio (where bband is rampant) in a rural area, and we're still treated like second class texas citizens. no cable and sbc could care less if they ever ever extend the dsl capabilities past the city limits. enough ranting i guess.

are we talking about default data or modded data? most if not all of the default data can be pulled from one of the two game discs. or you can just create a seperate file somewhere else (i named mine defaultmvp05). also what i do in addition since i'm on 56k is i have another folder named modmvp05 which like the name implies- contains stuff like my modded models portraits data and stadiums and initstaz.big (which i overwrite anytime i make a change to them) and i burn that to disc every few weeks. which did come in handy since i lost my whole system last week. try downloading all these mods over and over on dial-up. i'm not quite as lucky as the h who lives in houston so he probably has broadband, i live 10 minutes outside of san antonio (where bband is rampant) in a rural area, and we're still treated like second class texas citizens. no cable and sbc could care less if they ever ever extend the dsl capabilities past the city limits. enough ranting i guess.

sorry, i was talking about the default data, but that helps too to get the mod data back. now, how do you put the mod data in the game when you are finished with the mod data?

well you don't remove it from the game at all really, just highlight all the modded files you want to back up - let's say models.big for example. then just click copy in the left hand pane and make a copy of it over to your modded files folder (lets say mydocs/modmvp05). then install the new mods, and if something goes wrong w/ the mod, then you already have a copy of the modded files (without the bad mod in it) so you can just restore it back to it's good state before you installed the bad mod. just copy and paste it the same way. this really comes in handy, because you don't have to reinstall everything over and over. and if you install somethign you just don't like just overwrite it w/ the previous modded backup.

well you don't remove it from the game at all really, just highlight all the modded files you want to back up - let's say models.big for example. then just click copy in the left hand pane and make a copy of it over to your modded files folder (lets say mydocs/modmvp05). then install the new mods, and if something goes wrong w/ the mod, then you already have a copy of the modded files (without the bad mod in it) so you can just restore it back to it's good state before you installed the bad mod. just copy and paste it the same way. this really comes in handy, because you don't have to reinstall everything over and over. and if you install somethign you just don't like just overwrite it w/ the previous modded backup.

i was always wondering when they meant "back up the orgianl files first". are they reffering to the mods?

i was always wondering when they meant "back up the orgianl files first". are they reffering to the mods?

What they mean is that you should backup the files that a mod is going to overwrite. For example, if you're going to update a stadium file, backup the current version of the stadium. If you're going to update a roster, backup the current roster files you're using.

The goal here is to have an easy way to get back to where you are today if you're not happy with the mod that you just installed. When I am ready to install a mod, I typically look at the files that were going to be changed and in the folder where the files reside, I create a new subfolder named "backup". I then copy the current version of the files to the backup subfolder. As an extra step, I then compress the files in the backup folder into a .ZIP or .RAR archive, mainly to save some disk space.

If I install a mod and don't like it, I can retrieve the files from the backup folder and be back to the same state I was before installing the mod.

Another way to backup a file is to rename it. For example, if you were downloading a Yankee stadium mod, you could rename the two stadium files yankday.big and yanknite.big to yankday_big.old and yanknite_big.old. I've used this strategy when I've got two different mods for the same thing (two roster sets, the same uniform from two different uniform modders, etc.).

What they mean is that you should backup the files that a mod is going to overwrite. For example, if you're going to update a stadium file, backup the current version of the stadium. If you're going to update a roster, backup the current roster files you're using.

The goal here is to have an easy way to get back to where you are today if you're not happy with the mod that you just installed. When I am ready to install a mod, I typically look at the files that were going to be changed and in the folder where the files reside, I create a new subfolder named "backup". I then copy the current version of the files to the backup subfolder. As an extra step, I then compress the files in the backup folder into a .ZIP or .RAR archive, mainly to save some disk space.

If I install a mod and don't like it, I can retrieve the files from the backup folder and be back to the same state I was before installing the mod.

Another way to backup a file is to rename it. For example, if you were downloading a Yankee stadium mod, you could rename the two stadium files yankday.big and yanknite.big to yankday_big.old and yanknite_big.old. I've used this strategy when I've got two different mods for the same thing (two roster sets, the same uniform from two different uniform modders, etc.).

i haven't done any mods yet, this is my first go at it. so backing up data right now would do no good? please help me out...i just wasted 5 cd's trying to backup the default data.

yes make backups of all of your default ea files FIRST. models.big, stadiums, portraits.big, initstaz.big, ingame, igonly, datafile.big, what else am i forgetting? make a new folder in my docs name it defaultmvp05, now navigate over to the main mvp installation directory c:/programfiles/easports/mvp2005...... and highlight every default file you wish to back up then copy them over to the newly created folder. DON'T remove them, just make copies of them.

then as you add mods to the files back those up the same way as they are completed succesfully. make another folder for these files name it, moddedorigmvp05 in my docs.

yes make backups of all of your default ea files FIRST. models.big, stadiums, portraits.big, initstaz.big, ingame, igonly, datafile.big, what else am i forgetting? make a new folder in my docs name it defaultmvp05, now navigate over to the main mvp installation directory c:/programfiles/easports/mvp2005...... and highlight every default file you wish to back up then copy them over to the newly created folder. DON'T remove them, just make copies of them.

then as you add mods to the files back those up the same way as they are completed succesfully. make another folder for these files name it, moddedorigmvp05 in my docs.

uh oh, i made a mod of the non player assocation players aldredy in pic.big...i'm in big trouble, right?

Archived