TotalMinors Prospect Creator v1 Released

GForce22

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong. His scouting report is as a "decent" baserunner, and the speed figures are a direct correllation of PECOTA's speed score.

Also, consider that the difference in few speed points is completely negligible ratings wise. 70 and 60 aren't much different...I think wide variations are needed to make them play as accurately as possible, given the game engine.

Also, judging by Wells' speed rating isn't fair, as Wells' speed rating should be, roughly, 5.

GH

I am have a related problem. Getting a speed of 48 for, of all people,Torii Hunter. I've got fairly low numbers in speed all around, honestly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am have a related problem. Getting a speed of 48 for, of all people,Torii Hunter. I've got fairly low numbers in speed all around, honestly.

Hunter is an odd case. He runs well (certainly better than the 48), but he doesn't hit many triples per AB, he hits into a TON of double plays, and his stolen base percentage is merely average (2 years ago he was actually thrown out more often than he was successful). Certainly feel free to bump Hunter's speed number up, but his speed "metrics" are really not very good. For the sake of his defense, however, his speed should be higher.

Haven't seen the low numbers all around, at least not what I think is too low. As I've said, there needs to be a substantial gap between faster guys and slower guys, 5 or even 10 points of speed rating in the game means absolutely nothing in terms of gameplay.

GH

Okies, i have a spreadsheet related question now. When i enter the Zips projections on that line, for the last 2 lines (Sac Hits, Double Plays), there are no projections for those 2, so what do i put into that column? a zero, or the entry from the "TMP" line like i would if the player didnt have any projections at all?

Question:

So I have a player who has played only one year, say in 2004. So I would enter his real '04 stats and age in the "04" row. Then I would enter his '04 stats in the other two rows also, but change these two rows to a "MOD" value of "0"? Or would a change all three "MOD" values to "0".

You have it right. Change the two years he didn't actually play to 0.

Then, what if I have a player who has played two years (03 and 04). What should a copy into the '02 section? His '03 stats? His '04 stats?

Just wondering how you guys using this were handling these things.

'03 stats into '02. '02 MOD=0.

GH

Okies, i have a spreadsheet related question now. When i enter the Zips projections on that line, for the last 2 lines (Sac Hits, Double Plays), there are no projections for those 2, so what do i put into that column? a zero, or the entry from the "TMP" line like i would if the player didnt have any projections at all?

My fault for never explaining this...

In that case, enter the number that will make the blue PROJ (which is the 50/50 split between ZIPS/TMP estimates) equal to the TMP number (this may be different since TMP projections are based on 550 ABs, whereas ZIPS can be any number.

GH

GForce,

i know how to handle the situation when a guy doesn't play in a previous season, but what should i do if he was hurt for all of 2004?

how did you determine the l/r splits?

plez

GForce22,

Thank you for an excellent tool. Quick question - what assumptions go into the generation of contact ratings from projected MLB averages? For instance, from the tests I've done on your spreadsheet, a projected .211 MLB batting average generates a "50" contact rating, which seems quite high. I would have thought that a "50" would correlate to the MLB average batting average .260 (give or take).

Have I erred in using your tool?

Thanks.

Dan in NY

GForce22,

Thank you for an excellent tool. Quick question - what assumptions go into the generation of contact ratings from projected MLB averages? For instance, from the tests I've done on your spreadsheet, a projected .211 MLB batting average generates a "50" contact rating, which seems quite high. I would have thought that a "50" would correlate to the MLB average batting average .260 (give or take).

Have I erred in using your tool?

Thanks.

Dan in NY

I need to fix this...the gap in rating is not in agreement with the gap in batting average. I need to broaden the gap a bit.

GH

GForce22,

While I should have been working this afternoon, I modified your prospect creator spreadsheet by replacing the current formulas for generating CONTACT and POWER ratings with some formulas recently posted in another topic by paulw:

CONTACT = ((350*Batting Average)-25)+((0.1-Strikeouts/At bats)*50)

POWER = (19+469*ISO-1394*ISO^2+1801*ISO^3)-(2*(6-HR%))

where ISO=Slugging Average - Batting Average

HR% = HR / AB * 100

I, of course, referenced the relevant projected 2005 stats that your sheet generated in the light blue PROJ line.

PLEASE NOTE - that I altered paulw's POWER formula slightly to emphasize HRs more by using (2*(6-HR)) rather than (2*(5-HR)).

The results seemed pretty good.

A couple of items bother me though:

1. The formulas that I replaced are also used to calculate these other outputs:

HZL CZL HZR CZR

TL CL ML HR%L

TR CR MR HR%R

Perhaps my tinkering has adversely affected them.

2. The formulas that I replaced reference the LGE played in 2004 (the reasoning of which I have not been able determine) and my plug in formulas do not.

Again, perhaps my tinkering was too simple minded for the complexity of your design.

Dan in NY

GForce, I am getting some pretty low contact and power ratings when entering stats for the following Red Sox AA players:

Your problems is your not putting them in the correct leagues.

Under LGE you have to put the league # they were in that year, according to the league #s on the top of the sheet.

Since I've created these players too, I'll give you an example...

Lets take Jim Buckley, his first two years were in NYPL which is 13 so you put 13 in the LGE line for year 2 and 3.

His next year was in FSL which is 10 so you put 10 in year 4.

Now this year he is going to be in Portland which is in the Eastern league which is # 5 so you put 5 next to LG and AA in LEV

Also remember to put the correct age in 05 slot and it will put the correct age for all the other years.

I hope that helps!

FYI Wilmington A is in Carolina league which is # 9

Your problems is your not putting them in the correct leagues.

Under LGE you have to put the league # they were in that year, according to the league #s on the top of the sheet.

Since I've created these players too, I'll give you an example...

Lets take Jim Buckley, his first two years were in NYPL which is 13 so you put 13 in the LGE line for year 2 and 3.

His next year was in FSL which is 10 so you put 10 in year 4.

Now this year he is going to be in Portland which is in the Eastern league which is # 5 so you put 5 next to LG and AA in LEV

Also remember to put the correct age in 05 slot and it will put the correct age for all the other years.

I hope that helps!

FYI Wilmington A is in Carolina league which is # 9

The sheet said 22 for NYPL and 13 for FSL

And it is not year 02, year 03, it is 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005. You DO NOT put any league in for 2005. There is a formula there.

And where are you getting those league numbers?

These are the real numbers:

league6hj.th.jpg

The sheet said 22 for NYPL and 13 for FSL

And it is not year 02, year 03, it is 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005. You DO NOT put any league in for 2005. There is a formula there.

And where are you getting those league numbers?

These are the real numbers:

league6hj.th.jpg

You're entering the lg mod number, that's wrong. You enter the league number, which is the number on the left. NYPL is 13, FSL is 10.

GH

Archived