TotalMinors Prospect Creator v1 Released

GForce22

README attached:

GForce22's TotalMinors Prospect Creator - Hitters Edition Version 1

Hi all, and thanks for downloading my TotalMinors prospect creator. There is a pitchers edition in the works, but right now I have worked on the hitter's edition.

As I have mentioned, I am not releasing my own TotalMinors rosters this year. The data entry is just too much work for the little time I have. I am trying to help the HLS crew with their work, but time my prevent me from doing that to the fullest. Releasing this sheet will let others help, and also improve the formulas. I anticipate subsequent releases to this, as I have created formulas here where I have not traditionally used formulas (such as bunting, baserunning ability, etc.)

That said, this sheet will let you enter a player's stats and scouting report info and spit out every rating you need to enter in the game tied to a player's performance except for his spray chart.

What you will need:

* Baseball America's Prospect Handbook (or access to minor league scouting reports...this book is certainly the best resource, though BA is admittedly a bit tools happy, IMO).

* Sports-wired.com. This site gives you all player stats, including double plays and sac hits, which are not included in the BA book. This site is the best stats resource I've found for minor leaguers.

* ZIPS projections, which can be found at Baseballthinkfactory.com

* This sheet :)

How it works:

This will sound complex, but I promise, once you've used it a bit you'll breeze through it.

* Enter the player's name

* Under "Age", next to '05, enter the player's age. I usually use the age he'll be most of the year, but if it's easier to use opening day age, go ahead

* Bring up the player's stats....under LGE, enter the corresponding league number for the league in which the player had the most Abs in that year. Each league has a row up at the top (Eastern League is 5, International League in 3, etc.) Those numbers will get memorized very quickly, I assure you.

* In the grayed sections, enter the player's stats. You needn't enter AVG and SLG, they will be computed for you.

* Enter the Bats and Throws entries next to the B: and T: (the T is cosmetic, really).

* On the line labeled MLE: If the player has a ZIPS projection (usually if he played significantly at AA or higher), enter those figures on the stats line; if the player does not have a ZIPS projection, copy the numbers from the TMP (TotalMinors projection) line here.

* Below the section of Orange squares, you will see "LS" and a light blue box. In that box, enter the lowest of the 5 scores next to it. This relates to the PECOTA system's Speed Score, which is used to create the speed rating.

* In the yellow section, enter primary position (P1) and secondary position (cosmetic only, but P2)

* This is where the scouting reports come in...You can enter abbreviations for 7 scouting entries: P=Poor, D=Decent, BA=Below Average, A=Average, AA=Above average, S=Strong/Solid, P=Plus, PP=Plus-Plus. If a different term is used, enter the abbreviation that most corresponds to it. These entries will pull a rating (1-15 as in MVPEdit, rather than 1-100) from my fielding scales at the top.

Your entries are now done.

Purple boxes have the batting data: C vs L/R (Contact), P vs L/R (power), HZL/R (Hot zones), CZ L/R (Cold zones), T/C/M L/R (Take, Chase, Miss), HR% L/R (Homer %).

Orange boxes have the MISC data: STL (Stealing), BAS (Baserunning), SPD (Speed), BUN (bunting), DUR (durability, set at 70 for everyone, if you think a guy is exceptionally durable or prone, adjust as you feel needed), PAT (patience).

Yellow boxes have the fielding data: FLD (fielding), RNG (range), ARM (Arm strength), ACC (arm accuracy)

Scroll down to line 800: this is where the fields are listed in a more organized fashion. Block the selection and print out if it makes it easier for you.

NOTE: If you are entering a player who has not played three years, enter the first season he played in all preceding seasons, but under "MOD" enter 0 for the year, overwriting the formula. This will factor the performance but eliminate the age influence, which is big.

NOTE 2: If you use these for major leaguers, if they are veterans (older than 26), set MOD entries to 0. Otherwise they will be penalized for age relative to league, which at the major league level is unnecessary.

Feedback, as always, is appreciated. Hopefully this will become a very useful tool for future roster developers.

Gregg "Gforce22" Henglein

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GForce, question:

Lets say I'm doing Nate Schierholtz of the Giants...His first year was 2003, and in 2004 he split is time pretty much 50/50 in two different leagues...How would I put that into the spredsheet?

Also, what should I be putting into MLE for Double Plays?

GForce,

This is awesome. I can't wait until you finish developing the Pitcher Version.

The one question that I had with the Hitter Version is this:

Do the Chase/Take/Miss ratings that come out of the spreadsheet correspond to the hitter's Chase/Take/Miss tendencies vs. Fastballs only, or do they also correspond to the hitter's tendencies vs. Slow Break and Hard Break pitches?

For example, last night I plugged in all of the data for Cleveland Indians prospect (and former Tulane stud) Jake Gautreau. The spreadsheet gave me a Chase/Take/Miss rating vs. Right Handers of 12/9/15 and a Chase/Take/Miss rating vs. Left Handers of 12/7/15. Do I imput these ratings into Gautreau's MVPEdit boxes for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Fastball only or do I input the same ratings for Slow and Hard Break pitches? If the former (only input the ratings for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Fastball), how do I determine what to put in for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Slow Break and Hard Break?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

First GForce, thanks for your work, I think is a great job.

I got a question, if there is a difference in using Player total stats for a year and using Splits Stats (ex. vs LHP,vs RHP). I asking this because when I put Carlos Beltran stats and I put that he is swith hitter, it gave me the same value in contact and power batting Left and Right. Also, another example is Doug Mientkiewicz, he had better SLG vs LHP in the last three years combine in half AB that vs RHP, but he had most power rating vs RHP when I put his stats.

GeForce...get yourself into mensa....GREAT WORK 8)

I have a question about speed. I Think the speed values your sheet gives out are somewhat off and a little eratic, i dont know if its just me being picky or whatever but it gave Craig Counsell out as having a rating of 62, which i think is a little low. Also, the big dbacks sluggers like Shawn Green and Troy Glaus, both had speed around 42, though they are not speedsters, 42 puts them in the same speed bracket as fatties like David Wells. Am i doing something wrong?

GForce, question:

Lets say I'm doing Nate Schierholtz of the Giants...His first year was 2003, and in 2004 he split is time pretty much 50/50 in two different leagues...How would I put that into the spredsheet?

Also, what should I be putting into MLE for Double Plays?

I would use his California League stats (league 8) since he was there a little longer and it's a more advanced level. So your sheet would be

2003 stats with MOD at 0

2003 stats

2004 stats from Cal League

GH

does spray chart affect the player ability?

if so how do we come up with the % to put there?

thanks

Not really ability, and nothing in sim games. It supposedly has an impact on how a player hits in played games, though frankly I'm not sure I buy it.

If I had a way to come up with the formula for this I would have gladly included it :)

GH

GForce,

This is awesome. I can't wait until you finish developing the Pitcher Version.

The one question that I had with the Hitter Version is this:

Do the Chase/Take/Miss ratings that come out of the spreadsheet correspond to the hitter's Chase/Take/Miss tendencies vs. Fastballs only, or do they also correspond to the hitter's tendencies vs. Slow Break and Hard Break pitches?

For example, last night I plugged in all of the data for Cleveland Indians prospect (and former Tulane stud) Jake Gautreau. The spreadsheet gave me a Chase/Take/Miss rating vs. Right Handers of 12/9/15 and a Chase/Take/Miss rating vs. Left Handers of 12/7/15. Do I imput these ratings into Gautreau's MVPEdit boxes for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Fastball only or do I input the same ratings for Slow and Hard Break pitches? If the former (only input the ratings for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Fastball), how do I determine what to put in for Chase/Take/Miss vs. Slow Break and Hard Break?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I use the same for all pitches unless a scouting report specifically says otherwise. In that case, just make sure they average out to the given number.

GH

First GForce, thanks for your work, I think is a great job.

I got a question, if there is a difference in using Player total stats for a year and using Splits Stats (ex. vs LHP,vs RHP). I asking this because when I put Carlos Beltran stats and I put that he is swith hitter, it gave me the same value in contact and power batting Left and Right. Also, another example is Doug Mientkiewicz, he had better SLG vs LHP in the last three years combine in half AB that vs RHP, but he had most power rating vs RHP when I put his stats.

This was really created with minor leaguers in mind, for which we usually don't have splits.

That said, there's a workaround, it just requires a bit more entry.

Let's use the Beltran example.

He spits out .280/.516 at his total projection, so this ends up in both R/L since he's a switch hitter.

His real life 3-yr BA is .281, SLG .523

VS R: .279/.517 (-2, -6)

VS L: .282/.525 (+1, +2)

So in AVL, enter .282...SLGL .525

in AVR, enter .279, SLGR .517

This gives you 76/84 vs L and 75/83 vs R.

Basically, you would take the real life deviation from his numbers and adjust the TotalMinors calculations accordingly.

Hope this clears it up.

GH

GeForce...get yourself into mensa....GREAT WORK 8)

I have a question about speed. I Think the speed values your sheet gives out are somewhat off and a little eratic, i dont know if its just me being picky or whatever but it gave Craig Counsell out as having a rating of 62, which i think is a little low. Also, the big dbacks sluggers like Shawn Green and Troy Glaus, both had speed around 42, though they are not speedsters, 42 puts them in the same speed bracket as fatties like David Wells. Am i doing something wrong?

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong. His scouting report is as a "decent" baserunner, and the speed figures are a direct correllation of PECOTA's speed score.

Also, consider that the difference in few speed points is completely negligible ratings wise. 70 and 60 aren't much different...I think wide variations are needed to make them play as accurately as possible, given the game engine.

Also, judging by Wells' speed rating isn't fair, as Wells' speed rating should be, roughly, 5.

GH

As always, thanks for your generous time, GForce.

I have a few questions about Kelly Shoppach.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what I should input (you say the lowest of the 5 numbers) for these fields, and what they stand for:

SSB SSBA STP SRTOB SGDP

I think I was putting wrong numbers in for those, as I was getting speed ratings in the hundreds :lol:

And also, I'm not sure if I have inputed numbers wrong, but I got miss ratings of 18 and 19, which are outside of the 1-15 scale for MVPedit.

Thanks for you time man, we really appreciate it.

As always, thanks for your generous time, GForce.

I have a few questions about Kelly Shoppach.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what I should input (you say the lowest of the 5 numbers) for these fields, and what they stand for:

SSB SSBA STP SRTOB SGDP

I think I was putting wrong numbers in for those, as I was getting speed ratings in the hundreds :lol:

And also, I'm not sure if I have inputed numbers wrong, but I got miss ratings of 18 and 19, which are outside of the 1-15 scale for MVPedit.

Thanks for you time man, we really appreciate it.

You shouldn't be entering anything in those 5 fields. The sheet will fill those for you based on formulas. You just need to enter the lowest of those 5 scores in the blue box next to where it says LS.

Numbers outside the scale, just use 1 or 15.

GH

You shouldn't be entering anything in those 5 fields. The sheet will fill those for you based on formulas. You just need to enter the lowest of those 5 scores in the blue box next to where it says LS.

Numbers outside the scale, just use 1 or 15.

GH

Whoops...I had to turn down the brightness and contrast on my monitor to see the light blue :oops:

And also, when I enter 0 for the league number (ML), all of the formulas go haywire, and there are no numeric rating outputs unless I change the league numbers back to minor league numbers. (I was calculating the stats of Shawn Wooten, who played in the majors in 02 and 03, but AAA in 04 and will this year as well)

And PAT=Plate Discipline?

Whoops...I had to turn down the brightness and contrast on my monitor to see the light blue :oops:

And also, when I enter 0 for the league number (ML), all of the formulas go haywire, and there are no numeric rating outputs unless I change the league numbers back to minor league numbers. (I was calculating the stats of Shawn Wooten, who played in the majors in 02 and 03, but AAA in 04 and will this year as well)

And PAT=Plate Discipline?

Not 0 for the league number, 0 under MOD.

Yes, PAT equals discipline.

GH

Not 0 for the league number, 0 under MOD.

Yes, PAT equals discipline.

GH

So what should I put under league if he played in the majors?

And also, as baserunning and stealing ratings are in increments of 10 for numbers under 50 and increments of 5 for numbers over 50, we should just round the rating the formulas spit out right?

So what should I put under league if he played in the majors?

And also, as baserunning and stealing ratings are in increments of 10 for numbers under 50 and increments of 5 for numbers over 50, we should just round the rating the formulas spit out right?

a: 19 if he played in the NL, 20 if he played in the AL

b: Yes.

GH

Archived