Intentional Walks!

mrhogwash

Hello, all.

It's gotten to the point where I can no longer play '08, '07, or TC 10 because of the intentional walks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed, but when playing against the computer, it ALWAYS intentional walks by best batter from the 6th inning on even if the situation doesn't call for it (e.g even if it means putting the tying run on base or even the go-ahead run on base). Essentially, my best hitter becomes useless past the 5th inning.

HOWEVER, I noticed that this does NOT happen in either MVP Caribe or WBC '09. I've never been intentionally walked in either of those games, even when using the exact same team I used in '08, 07 or Total Classics and the exact same situation. (I inserted the same teams in Caribe and WBC to test whether they would IBB my best hitter.)

So my question is: What could it be about MVP Caribe and WBC that the IBB isn't so prevalent? Aren't all these games using the same platform?

Thanks in advance!!

Those situations you used as an example sound like the exact situations i would intentionally walk the best hitter.

I haven't noticed an excessive amount of IBB's in any of the mods that i have played but i could just be lucky.

Your best hitter would be walked a lot if he is getting hits in his ABs early in the game as well.

Those situations you used as an example sound like the exact situations i would intentionally walk the best hitter.

I haven't noticed an excessive amount of IBB's in any of the mods that i have played but i could just be lucky.

Your best hitter would be walked a lot if he is getting hits in his ABs early in the game as well.

If you ever play Total Classics 10, try playing with the '41 Red Sox. Ted Williams will get walked all the time once past the 6th inning. And it's situations that just don't make sense! A manager would be crazy to walk a batter to bring the tying run to the plate. The cut-off is 4 runs, I've noticed. If one team is up by more than 4 runs, the IBBs don't happen. Weird.

I'd just like to know what it is about MVP Caribe and WBC which would cause the lack of IBBs.

If you ever play Total Classics 10, try playing with the '41 Red Sox. Ted Williams will get walked all the time once past the 6th inning. And it's situations that just don't make sense! A manager would be crazy to walk a batter to bring the tying run to the plate. The cut-off is 4 runs, I've noticed. If one team is up by more than 4 runs, the IBBs don't happen. Weird.

I'd just like to know what it is about MVP Caribe and WBC which would cause the lack of IBBs.

He hit .406 that year. What the hell do you want?

That seems to happen with Norm Cash on the '61 Tigers as well ...... of course he hit .361 that year which "almost" justifies such action. I would imagine it happens to Barry Bonds on the teams in his big years as well.

I would venture to say that WBC & Caribe likely don't have players with stats like those guys had which would be a reason you seldom, if ever, see it in those mods. Of course it could well be that even if they have players with those type of Stats they represent them differently in their ratings than does TC10 and other Mods.

Just a thought ----- rating systems probably are different is the reason as I don't think datafiles would impact those type of differences in those situations.

That seems to happen with Norm Cash on the '61 Tigers as well ...... of course he hit .361 that year which "almost" justifies such action. I would imagine it happens to Barry Bonds on the teams in his big years as well.

I would venture to say that WBC & Caribe likely don't have players with stats like those guys had which would be a reason you seldom, if ever, see it in those mods. Of course it could well be that even if they have players with those type of Stats they represent them differently in their ratings than does TC10 and other Mods.

Just a thought ----- rating systems probably are different is the reason as I don't think datafiles would impact those type of differences in those situations.

When you write "ratings" do you mean their contact and power ratings and such? If so, that can't be it. I'll use the exact same team -- same exact stats, same exact ratings -- in MVP Caribe and WBC '09 without ever being intentionally walked; whereas if I use that same team in TC, '08, or '09, I get the IBB.

Are you sure it's not the datafile? I guarantee you if you imported the '61 Tigers into WBC or Caribe, Cash won't get IBB. So weird.

He hit .406 that year. What the hell do you want?

Obviously it's not just Ted Williams. I was using him as an example. Buck Leonard always gets an IBB when I play with him, too. And that's with Dick Allen batting behind him! (I created my own team). So it's not like some slouch is hitting behind him.

• 1 month later...

good questions........ i think that we used the original or mvp 07 datafile with some cameras and pitch meter modifications ....i'm no sure....

Another option could be the rosters...we set all home intensity to 2 in all teams.....and you could check the teams tendencies, check the IBB tendency.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, all.

It's gotten to the point where I can no longer play '08, '07, or TC 10 because of the intentional walks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed, but when playing against the computer, it ALWAYS intentional walks by best batter from the 6th inning on even if the situation doesn't call for it (e.g even if it means putting the tying run on base or even the go-ahead run on base). Essentially, my best hitter becomes useless past the 5th inning.

HOWEVER, I noticed that this does NOT happen in either MVP Caribe or WBC '09. I've never been intentionally walked in either of those games, even when using the exact same team I used in '08, 07 or Total Classics and the exact same situation. (I inserted the same teams in Caribe and WBC to test whether they would IBB my best hitter.)

So my question is: What could it be about MVP Caribe and WBC that the IBB isn't so prevalent? Aren't all these games using the same platform?

Thanks in advance!!

Yeah and more specifically it seems to be 6th inning on as long as you are ahead by 3 or less. If you're up by 4 they will pitch to the guy. This is in MVP '05 on PS2. I have just got the game for PC so haven't had a chance to investigate yet.