Total Classic Portraits v1.1 Available

Jim825

Late last night, I finished adding portraits for all 90 classic teams to the portrait.big file. This morning, I packaged everything together and uploaded it to MVPMods just before noon (East Coast time). :D

The Total Classic Portrait package consists of the following:

- An updated portrait.big file

- Updated roster files with no duplicate portrait IDs and proper won-lost records for each team

- A spreadsheet, sorted by team and year listing all portrait ID assignments

- A few screenshots (starting lineup screen, defensive alignment screen)

- The readme file with installation instructions

The package can be downloaded from the Downloads page.

For me, the portraits add a lot to the Total Classics experience. When you add in AlexTony's audio mod, it's even better. Please note that there are a handful of teams (listed in the readme file) that have no portraits or a limited number of portraits. This occurred because I could not find portraits for these teams.

Enjoy the package and send me any feedback you may have. I plan to continue with the project when Total Classics Phase 3 is released.

- Jim

Did notice some issues-Koufax is a california angel-and willie Mays is a white guy with a cubs hat

Did you verify that the rosters and portrait file were installed in the proper location? I just checked the install I did on my home PC and got some strange results (e.g. none of the '65 Dodgers had portraits). I then noticed that when I installed the portrait.big file, WinRaR actually created a "Portraits" subfolder under my datafrontend folder and put the new portrait.big file there (i.e. the previous portrait.big file was not overwritten).

The same thing happened with the rosters. WinRar created a "Rosters" subfolder under my datadatabase folder and put the new rosters there (the old rosters were not overwritten).

As soon as I manually moved the roster and portrait files to the proper locations everything worked fine. I verified this by pulling up the rosters in MVPEdit to make sure that Koufax and Mays had their proper portraits.

- Jim

Jim825 Just want to give U a big applause for your work. Is fantastic

I never thought much about Portraits but once I installed, I notice that it does add another elements to the game. Whenever someone come to bat, looking at the Portraits allows me to recognize him immediately. During batter coming up to the plate, I usually just press the X button to speed up the game. But that will take away time for me to read the name of the batter.

Again a big thanks from me and I am sure other appreciate your hard work.

Little question though, I notice U add the audio file # to match AlexTony's audio.

I was wonder how I can do it with some players that have first and last name that is in the game. Example Derek Bell of 2000 Mets. HIs first name Derek is there and his last name Bell also there but he was never heard in the game.

His # in portrait is 9577

Audio # in Bell is 7397

I know Derek is the same as Derek Jeter but since I don't have the first name audio list I Don't know the audio for it.

My question is how can I keep the portrait intact while I change his AUDIO/Photo in MVPEDIT to 7397 that way I can hear Bell at least?

Jim825 Just want to give U a big applause for your work. Is fantastic

I never thought much about Portraits but once I installed, I notice that it does add another elements to the game. Whenever someone come to bat, looking at the Portraits allows me to recognize him immediately. During batter coming up to the plate, I usually just press the X button to speed up the game. But that will take away time for me to read the name of the batter.

Again a big thanks from me and I am sure other appreciate your hard work.

Little question though, I notice U add the audio file # to match AlexTony's audio.

I was wonder how I can do it with some players that have first and last name that is in the game. Example Derek Bell of 2000 Mets. HIs first name Derek is there and his last name Bell also there but he was never heard in the game.

His # in portrait is 9577

Audio # in Bell is 7397

I know Derek is the same as Derek Jeter but since I don't have the first name audio list I Don't know the audio for it.

My question is how can I keep the portrait intact while I change his AUDIO/Photo in MVPEDIT to 7397 that way I can hear Bell at least?

I don't think you can do what you want to do because the portrait ID is used for both the portrait and the audio (i.e. the same number specifies both). The only way to do this would be for AlexTony to come up with a new audio / portrait ID for Derek Bell (e.g. 7398). You'd then have to open up MVPEdit, assign 7398 to Derek Bell's portrait ID and then import his portrait.

AlexTony may have a better answer.

So Jim825 if I edit the AUDIO/Photo in MVPEDIT to 7397 the portrait will not appear but the audio I will be able to hear?

If 7397 has no portrait, but does have audio, then that is correct. If that is correct, you could always import a photo for 7397.

If, however, 7397 does have a portrait, then you will hear the audio you want, but see whatever portrait is currently assigned to 7397.

Does that make sense?

This is what scares me from learning MVP edit: "His # in portrait is 9577

Audio # in Bell is 7397

My question is how can I keep the portrait intact while I change his AUDIO/Photo in MVPEDIT to 7397 that way I can hear Bell at least?"

This is what scares me from learning MVP edit: "His # in portrait is 9577

Audio # in Bell is 7397

My question is how can I keep the portrait intact while I change his AUDIO/Photo in MVPEDIT to 7397 that way I can hear Bell at least?"

There's nothing difficult about MVPEdit. If you used it, you'd see that. You can do a lot without changing portraits, faces, etc. The thing to remember is that same ID is used to define the portrait AND the audio. EA probably decided that this was the easiest way to do this because then they wouldn't have to create a separate numbering system for the portraits and the the audio.

AlexTony has been updating the audio files by copying common names (White, Robinson, Williams, some of the legendary player names) from existing players. He then assigns ID numbers (73xx - 75xx) to these added audio cuts and by then using these IDs for the portraits, we can have multiple players use the same name (e.g. "Williams" can be heard when Ted Williams comes up to bat, we can have multiple portraits for Rollie Fingers, Reggie Jackson, etc.).

I'm glad to hear that. With a project like this, that took a number of weeks to complete, it nice to hear that all that work was worth it. It also adds incentive to continue on when Phase 3 is developed.

Great job Jim!!!!!!!

Well, this means that I finally have to switch over to 2k5 completely

for my Classics Baseball fix.

The only problem is that hitting in 2k5 is soooo different from

2k4. If only I could find a batters view that was the same as

2k4 so that the learning curve was lower.

I have posted elsewhere but no advise.

Thanks man. Great job.

Great job Jim!!!!!!!

Well, this means that I finally have to switch over to 2k5 completely

for my Classics Baseball fix.

The only problem is that hitting in 2k5 is soooo different from

2k4. If only I could find a batters view that was the same as

2k4 so that the learning curve was lower.

I have posted elsewhere but no advise.

Thanks man. Great job.

Thanks for kind words. What batting view were you using in MVP2004? I used Trues batting view 4 in MVP2004 and this year, after Trues made the same view for MVP2005, I incorporated it into my combo datafiles.

I am using the center view in 2k4.

I believe that is view #3 but I am not sure.

The hitter takes up 3/4 of the screen on average and

the pitcher is 1/5 the size of the hitter. The hitters back foot

is completely visable and right at the bottom of the screen.

If Trues view sounds like this than I would love to get it.

I have downloaded all of the batter views that I know of and

tried them but no good. I have not tried the "combo" datafiles.

Thanks again.

Jim825, I hate to even bring this up because you did such a great job and I am greatly enjoying Classics with the new portraits. However I found only one very minor glitch and I only bring it up on the off chance that it's an easy fix. I noticed that the unlockables who aren't on any of the Classics teams do not have portraits. The only onces I've noticed so far were Willie McCovey and one other, I think it was a pitcher. Can anything be done to replace them? Thanks, and if not, no big deal.

Jim825, I hate to even bring this up because you did such a great job and I am greatly enjoying Classics with the new portraits. However I found only one very minor glitch and I only bring it up on the off chance that it's an easy fix. I noticed that the unlockables who aren't on any of the Classics teams do not have portraits. The only onces I've noticed so far were Willie McCovey and one other, I think it was a pitcher. Can anything be done to replace them? Thanks, and if not, no big deal.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying the portraits. I played a few games over the weekend (the first time in about 2-1/2 weeks) and had a lot of fun.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the MVP Heroes team. I just checked and found that the following players do not have portraits:

Juan Marichal (ID #2145)

Willie McCovey (ID #2147)

Gaylord Perry (ID #2152)

Willie Stargell (ID #2161)

When I removed all of the 2005 players from the portrait.big file, I mistakenly removed all of the portraits for the players on the MVP Legends and MVP Heroes teams as well. Most of the players on these teams ended up being on the classic teams, so their portraits were added back to the portrait.big file (I verified that every player on the MVP Legends team has a portrait). I guess that the 4 players above didn't make it back and I have to admit that I forgot to check the MVP Heroes team.

I know that Gaylord Perry is on the '78 Padres with an portrait ID of 9985. If you want, you could modify his ID on the Heroes team to 9985 and his portrait will then appear, however, you won't hear his name announced.

As for the other 3 players, I believe that teams they were on are being added in Total Classics phase 3. In the meantime, I will see if I can extract their portraits from the default portrait.big file and then import them into my portrait.big file. If I can get it to work, I can then upload an updated version of the Total Classic Portraits package (only the portrait.big file will need to change).

I just uploaded Total Classic Portraits v1.1. The only change in this version is that portraits have been added to the portrait.big file for the following players who appear in the MVP Heroes team:

Juan Marichal (ID #2145)

Willie McCovey (ID #2147)

Gaylord Perry (ID #2152)

Willie Stargell (ID #2161)

The roster files have not changed. If you have already installed Total Class Portraits v1.0, all you need to do is extract the updated portrait.big file. If you have not installed v1.0, then install the rosters and portrait.big file in the v1.1 package.

Downloaded last night. Looks great. I was greatly relieved too that I didn't have to recreate the rosters I've already created from the Classics. The new portraits transferred to them. When you do another update, check out Craig Counsell. He was removed because he's still playing but he's on the '00 Diamondbacks so his portrait is gone. Not worth another update just for him. Thanks again for all your hard work.

I'll add Counsell to the list of changes I need to make. I found another small error last night. Lenny Harris (2000 Mets) and Bucky Harris (1924 Senators) are using the same portrait ID (#358). When Lenny Harris comes up to bat, you see Bucky Harris' portrait.

I gave Bucky Harris a new portrait ID this morning (#8443) and also pulled in portraits for Lenny Harris and Jay Payton of the 2000 Mets (neither player had a portrait in Total Classic Portraits v1.0).

I was in the process of uploading the updated package when I saw your post. I aborted the upload and will add Counsell to the package. I will probably hold off on uploading a new version for a while to see if any other errors are found. If enough are reported, I'll issue an update. Otherwise, I will probably just hold off until Total Classics Phase 3 is ready.

Archived