Reading the .sav files

MLBTinker

Thanks to the testing of Boggs26, I now feel comfortable releasing an update soon.

For those getting the input past EOF (Error 62), this problem has been resolved and will be included in the update.

Now I can add/modify a bit more to the output.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm throwing a lot of stuff out, but I want to get things down before I forget them.

Any way to get the schedule section to list the winning/losing pitcher and that sort of stuff? I don't know if its even in the .sav file, but if it is that would be a cool addition.

Thanks again

I just installed version 0.93. It worked flawlessly. I must say MLBTinker...AWESOME WORK! This is a MUST HAVE utility for all dynasty players!

If you need any of my output files or my .sav file, let me know. With this latest version, I had no problems!

I did find a small bug. I forgot to close the schedule (sched[a-c].txt) files after reading them. Therefore, anyone who extracts a dynasty and then tries another without closing the program will get a run-time error.

Temp fix is to close the program after an extraction and restart before the next.

Here is something I just noticed, if you look at the pitching assignments, they are not all correct, they overlap a lot. All 5 starters are also listed as Long Relief, Both long relievers are listed as middle relief as well, my middle reliever is listed as a short relief man as well and my short relief guys are both listed as SetUp men along with my closer who is listed as both a closer and a set up man.

<html>

<body>

></table><br>

<table width="100%" border=1><tr><th colspan=6>Pitching Assignments</th></tr>

<tr><th width="16%">Rotation</th><th width="16%">Long Relief</th><th width="16%">Middle Relief</th><th width="16%">Short Relief</th><th width="16%">Setup</th><th width="16%">Closer</th></tr>

<tr><td align="left"><small>Martinez, Pedro<br>

Schilling, Curt<br>

Harden, Rich<br>

Day, Zach<br>

Jackson, Edwin<br>

</small></td><td><small>Martinez, Pedro<br>

Schilling, Curt<br>

Harden, Rich<br>

Day, Zach<br>

Jackson, Edwin<br>

Mendoza, Ramiro<br>

DiNardo, Lenny<br>

</small></td><td><small>Mendoza, Ramiro<br>

DiNardo, Lenny<br>

Williamson, Scott<br>

</small></td><td><small>Williamson, Scott<br>

Timlin, Mike<br>

Embree, Alan<br>

</small></td><td><small>Timlin, Mike<br>

Embree, Alan<br>

Foulke, Keith<br>

</small></td><td><small>Foulke, Keith<br>

</body>

</html>

EDIT: hmmm, the code didn't come out the way I thought it would...anybody care to help me out with that prob?

Regarding the pitching assignments -

That is how the data is stored in the program. I assume that the program allows the double roles in case you don't have a pitcher available at the standard position.

There does not seem to be a pattern to how the data is stored, so it is tough to guess at which pitchers are where [as displayed within the game]. I think the program starts at one end and if the pitcher is already assigned, he is not displayed in the game at another role, even though he is stored in the data as having that role.

I've found the spot in the file where the team you are using is stored. I plan to test swapping that team with another to see what happens in the middle of a dynasty. If it works, it could open up the possibility of multi-player dynasties.

sounds good, the pitching assignment thing isn't really a big deal, especially since the starters are correct and thats really the important one for looking at future opponants, Just wanted to let you know.

Keep up the great work

I'm wish I was better at all this programming stuff, but I'm not so I just ask a lot of questions :lol:

Anyways, if anyone is aquainted with the High Heat program HHBoxscoreEdit, I was wondering if this breakthrough could possibly lead to a program like that down the line? I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I thought that was a great program and if the right stuff is listed in the .sav file it seems as though it should be possible...

anyways, just a thought

Unfortnately, unless you religously save the file after each "day", there is probably no way to recreate boxscores. Besides r/h/e and the 9-inning linescore, not much else is saved on a per-game basis.

Remember, this is a console game, ported to the PC. Always going to have that affecting the amount of info saved. :(

It would not be too difficult to write something that compared two save files to create daily info. Double-headers might pose a problem.

If all you wanted was the boxscore of the team controlled, it would be doable. I imagine loading the initial .sav, saving some data into a local file, then comparing the local to the next .sav to create boxscores. It would require saving the dynasty after every game.

If all you wanted was the boxscore of the team controlled, it would be doable. I imagine loading the initial .sav, saving some data into a local file, then comparing the local to the next .sav to create boxscores. It would require saving the dynasty after every game.

Yep, that could be one way, as for saving dynasty after every game, that's what i do personally (and then back that up) i just don't trust the game enough NOt to save it after each game..

If I may make a suggestion on your proggie: in relation to what you just said (regarding user control teams) since a dynasty is based on 1 user control team, would it be possible to insert a variable or filter that would only display all the stuff you have allowed it to display (standings, stats, roster etc..) just for 1 team? ie: the user controled-one.

That would make a nice feature since the files it creates are humongous due to the fact it processes the whole league each time (and every team's stats etc..)

Would probably cut down on process time too.

Just a thought

Well I guess thats out. Not a big problem really, just trying to think of ways that this breakthrough can be used. I'm sure if its left to the modding comunity a lot will come out of it anyways.

Are you continuing to work on this Tinker? if so, what is your next target?

Kamasutra wrote:

...would it be possible to insert a variable or filter that would only display all the stuff you have allowed it to display (standings, stats, roster etc..) just for 1 team? ie: the user controled-one.

Good idea. I've incorporated an option for the 1.0 release that filters the output as either entire file, selected organization or selected team. It will apply to the HTML output and the Write Rosters options.

I also added sub-options to the HTML output so that you can choose what portions (Roster, Batting Order/Pitching Rot., Stats, Schedule) to output to the HTML.

I have been working on updates to the program to finish what I would call the 1.0 release.

Here are the changes I plan to make from V0.9.3:

-Program remembers selected settings and the last file read/written

-Added leaders output to _np HTML output (AVG, H, HR, RBI, 2B, SB, ERA, Pitcher K, W, SV - more to follow)

-Team stats in HTML are now sorted by AVG or ERA

-Option to output either the entire dynasty, one organization or one team

-Corrected file error where scheda.txt was left open after one execution. This required a restart of the program after one execution.

These items were done, but the code didn't save correctly. :banghead:

A couple of items on my wishlist to complete for V1.0:

-Add next starting pitcher w/ record to _np Next Games section.

-Reformat Team Schedule into calendar view (potential to add probable starters to next 3-4 games)

-Injury listings

-Player mood report

-Add contract data to HTML roster section

Items for a future version:

-User-defined HTML preferences:

1-What fields are reported in the HTML output

2-Output order

-Custom leader boards

-Expanded standings reports (Home, Away, L10, Streak)

-Reports using career data (i.e., Milestone watches)

-I can use some of these tools to create separate programs that generate boxscores and per-year reports.

These will depend upon either finding the data in the files and comparing it to the game values (i.e., injury type is a number 0-127, need to translate into text.) I think the mood is in there and it might help to sort that by mood so that unhappy players are quickly IDed.

I've experimented with file modification, no luck yet - the file does have a 4-byte control amount in the header that I need to run a few iterations to extract the formula. Additionally, there are some changes in the section headers from file to file. These appear to remain constant over the life of the dynasty, so it might not affect the modification.

Those planned additions for 0.9.3 & 1.0 sound great.

Hope it's not too complex, specialy: -Option to output either the entire dynasty, one organization or one team

If it's not too much trouble I'd add the option to extract box scores for that team's schedule. You said somewhere in this thread it is possible to read boxscore and schedules, a combination of the 3 elements (box score, schedule, output a specific's team) would be nice.

I'm working on a frontend for mysql and another version as a flat file database to work off your program. I see you have the text files output as comma delimited csv, unless I'm mistaken.

This is ideal for database/mysql. Let me know if this is the format you intended for the text file output.

As always keep us up to date on your progress, we're all behind you.

Cheers

PS: Another suggestion for database/mysql:

In the text output for players/stats that it spits out, is it possible to include the TEAM name along with the player's name that it puts out?

Example: in the text & html statistics output, you already have columns for:

First Name, Last Name, AVG, HR, etc..

Would it be possible to insert in there an extra column for Team Name, in abbreviated format, e.g: BOS, STL etc..

probably right after the last name.

The reason for this is with this info it's easier to ouput any stats on the web (through MYSQL or a database) for a particular team.

Without that column, it's nearly impossible.

Thanks.

This sounds GREAT!!!

- any chance of adding sortability to the stats output in the HTML? I'm not a big HTML person, but if this is possible it would be a great bonus...

as for that, this can't be done through plain html... That is called parsing and you'd need a web-based database (like mysql or a flat file parsed through cgi or php) or the program that tinker is making would need to parse the data and add a sort option, as he did for some fields.

An html file simply displays the output, just like a text file..

OK, again I don't know what is in the SAV file or what is really possible with HTML but I have been posting updates dealing with this program over at BBSC and a couple people made some comments on things they thought would be great for this program.

I'm not sure that either of these are possible since I'm not sure they are contained in the SAV file, but here are the thoughts:

Yanksfan65: I'd like to see a list of transactions, and also the current trading block players.

and

Big Unit: I just wish you could see what each hitters contact and power ratings are against LHP and RHP, and what the pitchers ratings for each pitch they throw was. Man that would make it SO easy for making trades in Dynasty mode. Just look up the numbers and you would know which play on which team to go to right away to propose the trade.

I don't ask for much hey?

Hey! It's less than some other people want. LMFAO!

Can I ask what the hell happened to this topic!? This was the hottest topic in the forum a week ago, but I haven't seen or heard anything since then. Is there a version 1.0 coming out? If so, when? YOU GUYS CAN'T TEASE ME LIKE THIS!!!

Archived