Is this legit?

Lual

lo lads

i thought of this through playing MVP, but wondered if it could be a legit play or is ruled out through bad sportsmanship?

basically to set the scene.

1 man on 1st

Batter hits a shot towards 2nd, which is hard hit, in the air, but catchable.

Now, can the 2nd baseman delibarately drop the ball (ie pad it down to the ground), pick it up and turn a double play?

im presuming this is not a legit play in terms of sportsmanship? but just wondered if anyone has seen this happen

i often think in MVP that i wish my 2B would drop the ball, and let me turn 2.

cheers

As far as I know, it's not against the rules, but I imagine it would be one of those cases where if you did it, you had better go up to bat with some armour plating on, because you WILL be hit. It's unlikely an infield fly would be called on it, or even if there would be time to call in infield fly.

The play itself would be risky though, as you'd need to be pretty quick to be able to foxus on the ball, drop it, then bend down, pick it up and flip to the shortstop in time to get the runner heading to second AND the batter/runner going to first base.

The infield fly rule does not apply here. There needs to be a force at third for the infield fly to be called (so runners on first and second or bases loaded).

EDIT: Sorry for repeating what fanatik said. He got his post in before me.

It's no problem Maddie, I liked that you posted the same thing, so that people know that the rule actually exist. :wtg: :wtg:

I've actually seen this happen. Was so funny when we saw it. Same exact thing happened, and we turned one of the few dp's we had all year.

It ranks up there with the funniest baseball moments I have ever been a part of.

I've actually seen this happen. Was so funny when we saw it. Same exact thing happened, and we turned one of the few dp's we had all year.

It ranks up there with the funniest baseball moments I have ever been a part of.

How much did the kid weigh who was running to 1st, over 400 lbs?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...I wish some company..EA or otherwise would spend more time making a baseball game with more flexability than to add the other usless stuff into it..:(

and really..they seriously need to work on their animations and tweening between them...sports games seem to always lag behind other games in gfx and newer technology...and its truly a shame

Rule 6:05(l):

"A batter is out when...an infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second, and third base occupied before two are out. The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases. (Approved ruling: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielders permits the ball to drop UNTOUCHED to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies)."

I saw this happen at a Royals game last? year when Graffanino dropped a line drive with Ichiro on first base. It took me a minute to figure out why Ichiro remained on first and Randy Winn was out, but there's the reason. If the fielder touches the ball, and then lets it drop, it's ruled dead and the batter is out. But only if the fielder touches it.

(Excerpt from the 2005 Edition of Sporting News' Official Baseball Rules book)

yes...but it is perfectly legal to allow an infield pop-up to drop. its only considered to be a dead ball if the fielder touches it first. I remember a situation somewhat recently where a normally quick player completely screwed up by not hustling to first when he popped up to first...the first baseman let the popup drop and executed a double play.

needless to say that player turned into an instant poster boy for why you should always hustle out of the box...lol

How much did the kid weigh who was running to 1st, over 400 lbs?

No, you know how when you see MLB players jog to first because they know they were gonna be out? Well it was like that.

yeah, it happened to carlos beltran this year (carlos delgado did it to him).

how does it never happen to manny ramirez tho, after watching him play the yanks and him walking to first on a line drive to center?

thats perfectly leagle(sp?) its only unsportsmanlike to be the one doubled up for not running it out

Archived