Forum Changes & Additions

snepp

Hello,

This thread will serve as the location for forum changes and additions. As it is now, the forum is pretty much the base phpBB with only a couple of minor changes. Modifications will be made regularly, some big and some small, until we are happy with everything.

Currently there is a new template available in your profile (called snepp) that will serve as the base for all future modifications. You don't need to change to it now if you don't want to, but at some point the new template will get forced onto all users. :twisted:

Here is what will be added very soon (maybe even tonight):

User Profile Control Panel

- friend list and ignore list

- subscripted topics list

- signature editor

- various other options

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, the User Control Panel has been installed (pain in the ****).

I've forced everyone to use the "snepp" theme for now, the other ones would have some incapabilities with the changes. Once we have all of the modifications that we want, we'll look at adding additional color schemes if requested.

Oh, go checkout your profile, there's some good stuff in there now.

:D

I couple more smaller hacks to the forum were added.

1. Improved posting functions for the bbcode

- The IMG and URL buttons now bring up the box asking you to insert your url and the name

2. Long URLs without a title will no longer stretch the screen, they now get truncated.

Example: http://www.aaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbccccc...oudpasiougd.com

3. Added the Current Activities at the top of the board, will definately come in handy for site announcements etc etc etc.

That's all for now, if you have any issues please let me know.

Please change the link color in posts. Without them underlined now (until you move the mouse over), it's really hard to tell where the links are.

Edit: Just noticed this is only on links where we use BBCode to replace the URL with text. If the URL only is there, it will be underlined and fine, so could you just apply some fix to make URL's with custom text more distinguishable?

It's all a work in progress. Yes it's pretty plain at this point, but I'm not in charge of making it look pretty, I just deal with script modifications. :D

Anyway, update:

It appears the new control panel breaks the remote avatar size checking. Sooooo....please refrain from linking any big avatars. I know it probably won't be an issue, but just thought I'd give a heads up.

Thanks,

snepp

Next update, very small.

Signatures now get aligned at the bottom of the posts where they belong. Unfortunately in Firefox it only works for the very first post in the thread :banghead:, but seeing as how 95% of the world is still stuck on using that POS browser called IE, it will work just fine for 95% of you.

any chance of moving the 'whose online' block to the bottom of the page scott? ive always found it more convenient to see as much of the board (main forum links) as possible. if we choose to, we can always look at the bottom to see who is online.

ya? no? good idea? stupid malicious ignorant idea? ;)

1: Can you make the site 800x600 compatible? It's dumb how so many sites are now being designed for the higher res. while so many people still use 800x600.

2: Why is the timezone for the whole of Britain listed as simply "english"?

1: Can you make the site 800x600 compatible? It's dumb how so many sites are now being designed for the higher res. while so many people still use 800x600.

2: Why is the timezone for the whole of Britain listed as simply "english"?

Any progress on either of these yet?

Any progress on either of these yet?

1. I've been tracking this for the past week and 87% of the visitors here use a resolution of 1024x768 or higher. So it's kinda hard to justify doing so.

2. I'm not really sure what you mean.

any chance of moving the 'whose online' block to the bottom of the page scott? ive always found it more convenient to see as much of the board (main forum links) as possible. if we choose to, we can always look at the bottom to see who is online.

ya? no? good idea? stupid malicious ignorant idea? ;)

ummm....It was my idea to move it to the top :D

I may have to get some more views on this one. I thought most people liked to see who's online.

Tried both Yes and No for DST, no difference, it still shows my time as 1.58pm when it's 2.58pm just now.

For the timezone listed as english, if you go to Profile, then profile settings, select your timezone as GMT, and in the public section - under internationalization, it says "english" instead of "British". There is more in Britain than just England.

As for screen res., with the site at 1024x768, everyone at or above 1024x768 can see the site correctly, while with users on 800x600 can't. With the site at 800x600, everyone can see the site correctly.

Tried both Yes and No for DST, no difference, it still shows my time as 1.58pm when it's 2.58pm just now.

For the timezone listed as english, if you go to Profile, then profile settings, select your timezone as GMT, and in the public section - under internationalization, it says "english" instead of "British". There is more in Britain than just England.

As for screen res., with the site at 1024x768, everyone at or above 1024x768 can see the site correctly, while with users on 800x600 can't. With the site at 800x600, everyone can see the site correctly.

Any updates on these?

• 2 months later...

I'm currently working on re-designing the entire site. I don't have a lot of time so it's slow going. I plan on having it ready for the new year. Sorry it can't be any sooner. It will address the issues above.

Thanks

Archived