Favorite Baseball Games of All-Time

Guest JWClubbie

Which baseball game series is your favorite of All-Time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• MVP
    • High Heat
    • Triple Play
    • Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
    • World Series Baseball
    • Hardball
    • RBI Baseball
    • Other, Add in your post

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have really enjoyed MVP 2k5 and all the High Heat games, but for its day, Earl Weaver Baseball on the Commodore Amiga was groundbreaking.

We are talking 1987 with real rosters and all time players, great stat engine with mouse control, real stadiums and stadium modification, robotic announcer of names with great crowd noise and game effects, , and a great pitcher/batter interface.

I walked into a software store in '87 and saw this game on the Amiga being played over a 27" TV and immediately set about how to buy an Amiga. It was that incredible.

Before that, I was playing alot of the original Hardball on a Commodore 64. I enjoyed Tony LaRussa and Oldtime Baseball too in the '90s. Had a blast with Sega's World Series Baseball on the Genesis.

TriplePlay was crap IMHO. I wanted to like it but the backwards batted ball physics always bugged the heck out of me as did alot of other things.

I always felt the Griffey games were overrated. I could never really get into them. My friends though cream their pants over Griffey... Despite the **** poor graphics and really high scoring games. That and Clemens and Randy throwing over 100 mph.

There is one memorable quote from slugfest:

"GET OUT THE RYE BREAD AND MUSTARD GRANDMA IT'S GRAND SALAMI TIME! MY OH MY!"

That call is so stupid it makes me laugh when I hear it. It'd suck when I would wake up and hear it at 2 am because my suitemate felt like playing Griffey at some abnormal time. Good times good times.

-----------

World Series Baseball for Sega Gamegear was also a good game, and unlike most it is close to impossible to hit a homerun. The only way to score is smallball and singles. Plus, it was the only game I ever played with realisitc pitch counts. Clemens-Mussina-Guzman-Maddux-Brown and whoever was good in 1992 would all have 100+ pitches before they tired. Though since it was a videogame, 100 pitches would last you until the 15th inning if they had to! You could start a game with a closer if you felt like it.

High Heat 2K2 and 2K3: Custom leagues -ability to have two 8, or 10, team leagues with no divisions and only WS. Ability to set up leagues and playoffs anyway you wanted. Use of custom leagues with Lahman DB to basically recreate any past season in MLB that you wanted with an accurate set-up. Incredible amount of fantastic mods from the many talented modders, many of which are now here, real faces of past greats, uniforms, stadiums etc. etc. making the old school feeling come alive and even better. Huge number of classic stadiums came default with the game.

Manage only mode. Ability to play at 1600x1200 32 bit awesome resolution with all details high on even average level PC cards and machines. These are all just some of the reasons why High Heat is still not beat as the greatest ever.

MLB 2004 and 2005- Best ever for graphics and game play but that is it. Until it allows the custom leagues and true manager mode options that HH allowed then it is still only number two and will not have the replay value that HH has. I play MVP for exhibition games strictly for the good graphics and it gets dull quick. I always go back to a heavily modded HH 2K3 for whatever fantastic season recreations of 1950s and 60's MLB.

Oldtime Baseball- for the ability to simulate any past season in history if you do not care all that much about fancy graphics.

Strat-o-matic- also deserves honorable mention for simulation as both computer and traditional board dice game.

Archived