Official College Football Thread

Spivey11

I think people should have drafted Marcus but after his senior year. I was coming home yesterday from vacation and happened to glance upon the local Richmond newspaper which said that Vick was trying to go into the NFL Draft. I really don't think he's good enough yet and he hasn't proven himself worthy of the draft yet. It's too early for him to enter the draft , and I would be surprised if he was drafted by any NFL team. He should just go into hiding , work out for a year , and then come back.

As for the incidents , he only had 2 to speak of , I believe , before the permanant suspension from the team. One of them involved marijuana in a car and the other we all know was him with the kids. He already got suspended from Virginia Tech for those and I don't see why one kick/stomp on a player would get him permanantly suspended. Again , I haven't seen the kick yet and am about to now but I think he should have been suspended after more incidents.

edit : after watching the incident on the field it does seem intentional. How can that be an "accident"? However , due to the blurriness it seems he didn't step on him too hard. If the player was hurt when he was stomped on then he should be permanantly suspended but still I haven't seen enough. I am just skeptical that he should be thrown off and the reins handed to inexperienced younger quarterbacks like Sean Glennon.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apparently he was driving with a suspended license and had a speeding ticket before the Louisville Game. That combined with the "leg stomp" is grounds for dismissal in my opinion. I just hope Virginia Tech and Frank Beamer know what they are doing by kicking him off the team. It's a pity too...I had him on my facebook (lol). :(

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/dp-5...ports-headlines

Speeding ticket sealed Vick's fate

Email this story

Printer friendly format

nwood@dailypress.com 247-4642

January 8, 2006

BLACKSBURG -- A speeding ticket was the breaking point in the final days of quarterback Marcus Vick's career at Virginia Tech.

Tech president Charles Steger said in a press conference at the school Saturday that he, football coach Frank Beamer and athletic director Jim Weaver decided to dismiss Vick from the team Friday when they learned he received a speeding citation in Hampton on Dec. 17.

advertisement

advertisement

Beamer told Vick, a 21-year-old Warwick High graduate, and Vick's mother, Brenda Boddie, on Friday during a meeting in Newport News. Vick announced Saturday that he was going to go pro.

Beamer had been on his way to the Peninsula to tell Vick that he was going to be suspended for the first two games of the 2006 season as punishment for stomping on the back of Louisville player Elvis Dumervil's leg during Monday's Gator Bowl.

But after Tech's administration learned from a fax to Steger's office Friday afternoon that Vick had been ticketed for speeding, as well as driving with a suspended license, Steger decided to dismiss him from the team.

"At that point, it became apparent ... that he no longer deserved the privilege of playing Virginia Tech football," Steger said.

Vick could not be reached for comment.

Vick had told Beamer and director of football operations John Ballein on Dec. 19 that he received a ticket for driving with a suspended license. But he didn't tell them that he had also been ticketed for driving 38 mph in a 25-mph zone of Settler's Landing Road in a 2001 Chevrolet.

Ballein said the suspension happened because a friend of Vick's was driving a car registered to him and that friend did not pay the insurance.

Therefore, Vick's license was suspended sometime between August 2005 and the traffic stop. A person's DMV history isn't a matter of public record.

Ballein said he didn't think the ticket was of major importance, assuming it was just matter of paying fines.

Beamer didn't report the ticket to Steger and Weaver because he didn't think it was a violation of the university's Comprehensive Action Plan, a code of conduct all Tech student-athletes are expected to follow. "If I should have (reported it to Steger and Weaver), I apologize," Beamer said. "I didn't consider it that type of issue."

On Saturday, Weaver supported Beamer's decision not to report it. "If coach Beamer thought I needed to know, he would have come to me," Weaver said.

Vick was involved in several legal infractions during the past four years. He was suspended from school for the fall semester in 2004 because of two separate incidents. In 2004, he was convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, followed by a conviction of reckless driving and possession of marijuana. As part of the plea agreement, his license was suspended and not reinstated until August 2005.

When Vick was reinstated to school in January 2005, Steger warned, "If there is any more trouble, (Vick's) Virginia Tech career is effectively ended."

Beamer said his meeting with Vick and Boddie was difficult. He said he didn't sense Vick was angry about Tech's decision, but it was hurtful to all parties.

"I hate it when there's disappointment, when you wish you maybe could have done something more, better," said Beamer, his eyes damp as he stared blankly into a group of reporters gathered inside Lane Stadium. "Looking at Brenda yesterday, I was terribly hurt, and looking at Marcus yesterday, I was terribly hurt."

Though the speeding ticket might have provided the final decision about Vick's career at Tech, he didn't help his standing with his behavior on the field this past season.

On Oct. 1, he displayed his middle finger to people sitting behind Tech's bench in a game at West Virginia after being taunted. Television cameras also captured images of him stomping on Dumervil's leg in Tech's 35-24 victory against Louisville in the Gator Bowl.

Dumervil said Vick didn't apologize for the incident in the Gator Bowl, but Beamer refuted Dumervil's account Saturday.

"The fact is, Marcus and myself went over to apologize, and Marcus sent words to Dumervil two times that he did apologize," Beamer said. "I don't know if he ever got that message. (Louisville) coach (Bobby) Petrino decided not to come out and do that."

Tech, which finished 11-2 this past season, has four scholarship quarterbacks left on its roster. Sean Glennon, Cory Holt - who will be sophomores next season, Greg Boone and Ike Whitaker - who were redshirt freshmen this year - will compete for the starting job. Beamer didn't offer any assessment Saturday of the returning quarterbacks.

With his Tech career behind him, Vick will begin preparing for workouts with National Football League teams. He has until Jan. 15 to declare himself for the NFL Draft. Several analysts have projected that he could go anywhere from the third to seventh rounds in the draft.

"I believe I am ready for this challenge and the next chapter of my life," Vick said in his prepared statement. "I will work extremely hard to prepare myself for a career in the NFL as a respected quarterback. I am confident that I will be successful both personally and professionally. "I intend to become a strong and valuable addition to the NFL team that provides me an opportunity to play."

Archived