Official College Football Thread

Spivey11

If there is one thing about the BCS that I like , it's that if Virginia Tech remains undefeated they might steal a 1 or 2 spot from either USC or Texas. Tech plays BC and Miami , if they beat both (which I have tickets to) they might be able to get a higher ranking. Other than that the BCS stinks and I don't see why they can't have an 8 team playoff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but there wouldn't be as much controversy and at least undefeated teams like Virginia Tech would be able to play for the title. There's always going to be controversy with the # of teams that you have in college football , but the 8 team playoff would be better than an idiotic system that calculates teams national championship hopes by a bunch of obscure statistics.

On the topic of college football , I remembered why I hated this sport (with the exception of VT , Maryland , and UVA football) in the first place. Texas trailed OSU at one point 28 - 9 , and OSU had all the momentum going into the half. At the second half Texas goes mad and scores the remainder of the points in the game. OSU is shut out , a total 180 degrees from the 1st half. Compare this with the Minnesota - Green Bay NFL game. Down 17 , the Vikings rally to go ahead 20 - 17 but in this game Green Bay actually kept it close and the Vikings won with a 55 yarder as time expired. I'm glad the NFL doesn't have as many outrageous rallies as the college game , where it seems every time Texas or USC is down at the half they will pull off an "amazing" rally and score the rest of the points while shutting out the opponent. Astounding.

Well here I am one day before Virginia Tech is to play Miami in one of the best college football games you will see this year. The place was already riled up for Cold Pizza on ESPN 2 and College Gameday is coming tommorow...I will be sure to have pictures up for all to see of the chaos before the game and during the game. GO HOKIES

Several preliminary photos can be seen here. http://611938.tripod.com/vtmia.html

and the Hokies couldn't take advantage of what I consider an inferior miami team and are on the way to losing. Let me tell you , I was so livid after the Canes scored to make it 20 - 0 I just left from the stadium. After the 27-0 score I threw my water bottle on the street , exploding it on the side of a car. The Hokies played like a crappy high school team tonight. They fumbled and bumbled around the ball like a bunch of inexperience rookies , and the defense couldn't make any key stops on 3rd down. This loss really hurts. It also shows why college football needs to change the system now. With this possible loss , VT is now out of the race after 1 bad day. Just shows how hard it is to remain perfect.

• 1 month later...
Guest JWClubbie

I am so pissed. Miami gets their arses beat like a sorry mule 40-3. I am embarresed for them. Guess LSU got shafted this year...

Tears - Last night's loss to OSU was horrible. I took it a lot better than when ND lost to USC. OSU looked like the Indianopolis COlts and ND looked like the Texans. It was sad how horribly ND played. They just got owned. Maybe next year.

i hope usc loses....i'm so annoyed by the fact everyone is calling them the best college team ever, and they haven't won yet. if you want to do that, wait until after the game.

yes, they are going for two in a row, lsu won in 03, not usc. stupid media.

why can't we get a 8 team playoff? oh wait, they'll lose their money. they'll make up some lame excuse though like finals or something like that to make up for it. d-1a football players don't go to class as much as the rest of us.

Even though I cannot stand Georgia, I feel they should have won last night with how they mounted the comeback. But that one sneaky play at the end with 1:45 sealed the deal for West Virginia. Never before have I seen a fake punt the way they ran it.

Another game that I was kind of frustrated with was the Iowa/Florida game. The ref's made two really bad calls that I think hurt Iowa. The first call being an incomplete pass. The Iowa QB threw the ball to a WR and the WR jumped up, and caught the ball, and while he was in the air, a Florida DB keeps the WR in the air and pushes him out of bounds (WR held onto the ball after falling), and the thing is, the WR was about 4 feet from the sidelines, so he definately would have came down in bounds with the ball. And then another bad call was the intentional grounding call where the Iowa QB threw the ball to the right side of the field right as he was getting hit inside the hashmarks, about 20 yards to where a WR was supposed to go, but right when the QB threw the ball, the WR zagged left instead of right, and the ball landed about 5-10 yards from the WR and resulted in the terrible penalty call.

Let's just hope my Nittany Lions can get a win tonight and the game is called clean.

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!

My Noles Are gunna demolish Penn State. Who can you name from the top of your head from Penn State without being being a Penn fan. nobody, I don'yt even know how they are #3. The Seminole had a rough Stretch but now they're back! The 'Noles, Drew Wheaterford, Leon Washington, Etc. Etc. They are great

Michael Robinson deep to Deon Butler...TOUCHDOWN!

Tony Hunt up the middle, blockers out in front, look at him go! Look at him go! He could...go...all...the..way!

Michael Robinson scrambles out of the pocket, and picks up a Nittany Lion FIRST DOWN!

There's 3 for ya, more than I know for FSU =)

However, this may end up being one of the best Bowl Games this year, we'll just have to wait and see.

Top 5 players by position

insider_byline.gifKiperjr_Mel_30.jpgBy Mel Kiper, Special to ESPN Insider

Jan. 6, 2006 | Now that underclassmen are declaring for the NFL draft, the Top 5 list will take on a different look in the coming weeks. Instead of Top 5 Seniors by Position, it is now Top 5 Players by Position, based on seniors and underclassmen who are involved in the draft process. Expect many more changes in the next few weeks, since underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to declare for April's draft.

Quarterbacks

1. Matt Leinart, USC

2. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt

3. Brodie Croyle, Alabama

4. Darrell Hackney, UAB

5. Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson

5a. Barrick Nealy, Texas State

5b. Kellen Clemens, Oregon

5c. Bruce Eugene, Grambling

Running Backs

1. DeAngelo Williams, Memphis

2. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota (Junior)

3. Joseph Addai, LSU

4. Jerome Harrison, Washington State

5. Leon Washington, Florida State

5a. Andre Hall, South Florida

5b. P.J. Daniels, Georgia Tech

Fullbacks

1. Lawrence Vickers, Colorado

2. J.D. Runnels, Oklahoma

3. Matt Bernstein, Wisconsin

4. Daccus Turman, South Carolina

5. David Kirtman, USC

Wide Receivers

1. Santonio Holmes, Ohio State (Junior)

2. Derek Hagan, Arizona State

3. Sinorice Moss, Miami

4. Chad Jackson, Florida (Junior)

5. Hank Baskett, New Mexico

5a. Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame

5b. Brandon Williams, Wisconsin

5c. Greg Lee, Pittsburgh (Junior)

5d. Travis Wilson, Oklahoma

5e. Jonathan Orr, Wisconsin

Tight Ends

1. Vernon Davis, Maryland (Junior)

2. Leonard Pope, Georgia (Junior)

3. Owen Daniels, Wisconsin

4. Dominique Byrd, USC

5. David Thomas, Texas

5a. Marcedes Lewis, UCLA

5b. Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado

5c. Tim Day, Oregon

Tackles

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia

2. Ryan O'Callaghan, California

3. Jeremy Trueblood, Boston College

4. Marcus McNeill, Auburn

5. Andrew Whitworth, LSU

5a. Eric Winston, Miami

Guards

1. Jason Spitz, Louisville

2. Taitusi Lutui, USC

3. Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia

4. Kevin Boothe, Cornell

5. Rob Sims, Ohio State

5a. Davin Joseph, Oklahoma

5b. E.J. Whitley, Texas Tech

Centers

1. Nick Mangold, Ohio State

2. Greg Eslinger, Minnesota

3. Ryan Cook, New Mexico

4. Mike Degory, Florida

5. Marvin Philip, California

Place-Kickers

1. Stephen Gostkowski, Memphis

2. Josh Huston, Ohio State

3. Connor Hughes, Virginia

4. Deric Yaussi, Wyoming

5. Kurt Smith, Virginia

Defensive Ends

1. Mario Williams, NC State (Junior)

2. Tamba Hali, Penn State

3. Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College

4. Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State

5. Manny Lawson, NC State

5a. Elvis Dumervil, Louisville

5b. Ray Edwards, Purdue (Junior)

5c. Jason Hatcher, Grambling

5d. Charlton Keith, Kansas

Defensive Tackles

1. Orien Harris, Miami

2. Claude Wroten, LSU

3. Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State

4. Kyle Williams, LSU

5. Titus Adams, Nebraska

Inside Linebackers

1. D'Qwell Jackson, Maryland

2. Abdul Hodge, Iowa

3. Gerris Wilkinson, Georgia Tech

4. Oliver Hoyte, NC State

5. Leon Williams, Miami

Outside Linebackers

1. A.J. Hawk, Ohio State

2. DeMeco Ryans, Alabama

3. Chad Greenway, Iowa

4. Thomas Howard, UTEP

5. Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State

5a. Cameron Vaughn, LSU

5b. Rocky McIntosh, Miami

Cornerbacks

1. Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech

2. Antonio Cromartie, Florida State (Junior)

3. Kelly Jennings, Miami

4. DeMario Minter, Georgia

5. Anwar Phillips, Penn State

5a. Marcus Hudson, NC State

5b. Jason Allen, Tennessee

5c. Tye Hill, Clemson

5d. Marcus Maxey, Miami

5e. Alan Zemaitis, Penn State

5f. Cedric Griffin, Texas

Safeties

1. Michael Huff, Texas

2. Anthony Smith, Syracuse

3. Bernard Pollard, Purdue (Junior)

4. Dwayne Slay, Texas Tech

5. Daniel Bullocks, Nebraska

Punters

1. John Torp, Colorado

2. Steve Weatherford, Illinois

3. Tom Malone, USC

4. Jeff Williams, Adams State (Colo.)

5. Sam Paulescu, Oregon State

The good news is Texas QB Vince Young has entered the NFL draft. Not that I'm evil or devious , but after that phenomenal performance Wednesday at the Rose Bowl he should go out of Texas on a high note. Multiple ESPN Radio personalities implored him to go to , suggesting that his stock can only go down from here. Now Texas will lose football games like other college football teams!

On a related topic whilst on vacation browsing ESPNEWS I was very shocked to learn that Marcus Vick had been suspended permanantly from Virginia Tech's football program. Now , I didn't watch what he did at the Gator Bowl , I didn't see him allegedly kick /step on the opposing player but I'm a bit confused as to why he would be kicked off the team just for that. If you're going to kick an above-average (not vince young spectacular obviously , he was owned twice by florida teams) quarterback off a team just for that , they better have trained Sean Glennon as a capable replacement. I don't want to see him flounder and the Tech football program fall backwards as a result of this decision.

No, the reason he was kicked off the team was the fact that all of these "incidents" tend to pile up. And the unsportsmanlike conduct that he had on the field just pushed VT over the top. If you haven't seen the video, you should. He blatantly stomps on the calf of a Louisville player. IMO, he deserved to be kicked off.

I hope that no one takes him in the draft. I have no respect for this guy. It's so hard to believe that him and Micheal are in the same family....

Video

Mike isn't too great himself. In my opinion he is highly over-rated. If I were the Falcons, I would throw Schaub in at starter, put Vick at a WR position and find ways to get him the ball and show his real talent because he can't throw the ball worth a damn, and when he does, all he throws to is Crumpler. Hell, you can even put Vick at running back and do some nice trick plays.

But I do agree with Spivey, I hope no one drafts Marcus either because he really aint worth sh*t.

Archived