Official College Football Thread

Spivey11

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hokies won again. They just can't be stopped! Marcus Vick went wild sunday night in the 2nd half , I remember a certain instance : 3rd and 11 , then Marcus charges up the middle with the sneak and evades the d for a first down. I haven't seen him do anything that impressive when I saw him at several games , I had thought of him as overrated and seen nothing special of him 2 years ago when I was a freshman at tech , but sunday he proved to me he is capable of replacing randall.

As for miami they might want to work on field goals ... how can you miss every single field goal attempt for that game? I will make sure I attend that miami game at tech and rush the field once they get blown out 55 - 3.

And sorry about the hurricane and the superdome going down...I'll make sure to contribute whatever I can to help the poor people down there.

The new polls have come out. Here's a little sampling:

AP Rankings:			 USA Today Rankings:

1. USC				   1. USC

2. Texas				 2. Texas

3. Michigan			  3. Michigan

4. Ohio State			4. Tenessee

5. LSU				   5. LSU

6. Tenessee			  6. Virginia Tech

7. Virginia Tech		 7. Ohio State

8. Iowa				  8. Iowa

9. Georgia			   9. Georgia

10. Florida			  10. Florida

BCS should be banned too since the only way a team can win a national championship is if they go undefeated or lose one game. You have to basically be flawless to have a chance. No other playoff system in the world decides a national champion by playing a #1 ranked team against a #2 team in one single game. I suggest a playoff bowl system where the top 16 teams play in the playoff , and the remainder of the (25 - 16) teams play in the continental tire bowl , toilet bowl , etc. I'd really like to see home field advantage in college football playoffs...I live very close to Lane Stadium and it would be totally amazing to watch that place ROAR once Virginia Tech hosts playoff games. Unfortunately college presidents don't like to lose money without the bowls so my dream will probably never happen. It's also the reason I probably will never love college football as much as the NFL.

BCS should be banned too since the only way a team can win a national championship is if they go undefeated or lose one game. You have to basically be flawless to have a chance. No other playoff system in the world decides a national champion by playing a #1 ranked team against a #2 team in one single game. I suggest a playoff bowl system where the top 16 teams play in the playoff , and the remainder of the (25 - 16) teams play in the continental tire bowl , toilet bowl , etc. I'd really like to see home field advantage in college football playoffs...I live very close to Lane Stadium and it would be totally amazing to watch that place ROAR once Virginia Tech hosts playoff games. Unfortunately college presidents don't like to lose money without the bowls so my dream will probably never happen. It's also the reason I probably will never love college football as much as the NFL.

i don't know why...every other divison of ncaa sports expect d-1a football has some sort of a playoff...i know why...they don't want to lose their precious bowl money. don't they realize they can make more money in a playoff...and don't buy the "our kids have to study for finals" excuse...it's fake. everyone else has to...

Ohio State lost...I was hoping they would beat texas but eventually Vince Young rallied them back , and the safety in the end didnt' help either. Good intense game.

I was listening to the VT broadcast today when I heard that Notre Dame had taken a lead against Michigan in the 1st. Eventually Notre Dame would go on to upset Michigan , one of the top 5 programs in the country. I was expecting Weis to turn the program around but I did not expect him to beat such an elite program like Michigan. I guess college football is finally starting to get more interesting!

I agree with Dluxe. I am a huge Penn State fan myself, and even though they didn't score more than what they could have, I'm still a happy camper. The offense seemed to click the 2nd half of the game, and the defense is still awesome. If they can play like they did today, I see them making a bowl game this year, and NOT losing a game 6-4.

Did not watch as many games this weekend because the high school team played on saturday and I went to a Mariners game. Here are my rankings for the games I watched for week 2.

1. Notre Dame vs. Michigan: This was the game the Charlie Weis proved he was on offensive god. Notre Dame looked very smooth, and Brady Quinn appears to be Tom Brady. The injury of Mike Hart proably had effects on Michigan.

2. Ohio vs. Pitt: The even bigger shock than the game itself is that a Frank Solich team can throw the ball downfield. Ohio looked far more jacked up then Pitt, and another loss will have the Panthers in crisis mode.

3. Tulsa vs. Oklahoma: I honestly thought that the Sooners would blow it again. Adrian Peterson looked like somthing out of madden, using the truck stick. Big 12 play will be interesting, very interesting for the Sooners.

4. Washington St. vs. Nevada: Nothing special. WSU dominated from begining to end, a good game to play poker with.

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia Tech?

I was at the game today...it was completely uncompetitive and a blowout. VT scored on offense , defense and special teams. The most amazing thing was the blocked kick , I was sitting in the back when I see Georgia Tech line up for this field goal and I'm thinking "Oh man...they're going to score" and then BAM like lightning I don't know what happened but the ball is bobbling to the left and everyone is raising their hands in celebration and screaming as some VT player takes it all the way back...that plus the 2 interceptions in 2 drives. Amazing game to attend. They are probably going to improve their ranking to #3 or #2...but be warned. 2 years ago Virginia Tech started off explosively but then was defeated at West Virginia. With the exception of Miami that year they finished the year abysmally. Hopefully history does not repeat itself.

I was also able to see the College GameDay crew at Alumni Hall. It was hard to see the three because there were a lot of people but it was pretty neat.

Even though I'm a hokie fan and a student at the glorious Virginia Tech I have to be realistic. USC is the best team in America. I do not think they will lose again and they will probably win it all again.

• 5 weeks later...

My season is over, ASU is a laughing stock, injuries have killed the O-Line and now Keller has problems. 3-4 is a disgrace for a team expected to compete for a top-10 spot. I can only hope for next year, Keegan Herring will win the Heisman by his Junior year, I promise you. He is the most talented back I've ever seen. With a running game and a healthy Keller leading the offense maybe we can win back some respect.

yeah ASU had a chance to beat USC but couldn't capitalize. That , along with the fact that Oregon and Notre Dame couldn't hold off USC is proof enough that USC will go undefeated this year. It seems every game Reggie Bush has a 50+ yard run or a punt return for a touchdown , there is absolutely no way to stop him...not even that texas defense has a chance. Plus , USC isn't going to go down easy , if they're trailing they will find some way to win as indicated in the Notre Dame game.

I'm a Virginia Tech fan but I'm going to be realistic. It's a pipe dream to suggest that VT would overtake either Texas or USC and play in the national championship. Both of those teams will finish undefeated and play in the championship (another reason why college football is corrupt , at least Virginia Tech has a slight chance of playing in a national championship in a playoff) but in the end Reggie Bush is going to win USC it's 3rd straight national championship.

I don't see how Texas surpassed USC in the BCS, it's baffling. USC started out the year ranked #1 in the nation, they have yet to lose a game so they should still be #1 in the nation. No matter how good other teams have played, the fact that USC hasn't lost means they should still be #1. Granted, Texas may be the better team, but they don't deserve to be #1 ahead of USC.

yeah ASU had a chance to beat USC but couldn't capitalize.

I was at that game, ASU never really had much of a chance. USC wasslowed by a crapload of penalties in the first half, in the 2nd they had almost none and thus outscored us 35-7. We then proceed to implode for the Oregon and Stanford games

thats why I think college football is so retarded. Instead of fussin over who's the national champion...why not play an actual national championship game? It's idiotic to have two teams sharing the championship title. It's even more idiotic to have computers pick out the teams who play in the national championship game. Why not have a tournament of lets say the top 8 teams? Wouldn't that make things a little more fair and interesting? There's a reason why March Madness is so great. Every team has a shot at the title, not just the team who goes undefeated during the regular season. Hell, sometimes, even an undefeated team can't claim the national champion title (see Auburn).

What did they do wrong? Because they didn't score enough points?

Archived