Crazy christmas lights

medric822

Awesome video. Imagine the electric bill!

Fun Fact: My father's side of my family CLAIMS to have invented 'outside christmas lights'. The story? December 7th 1951 (or 1950, I think it's 1951) in an Italian Bronx neighborhood, the house went on fire. After everyone escaped the house (including jumping out of windows), the family decided to decorate a tree outside with lights and the such. Supposedly, everyone else in the neighborhood was impressed and started to put their own lights outside. People who would visit the neighborhood would be impressed by the displays.

It's a strange story and sadly I have nothing to prove it. My grandma (and others in my family) claims it's true, and she isn't a liar. (And I have lived with her so I know her well.) I believe it, but it would not suprise me if someone did it before. I do know that the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree had actual lights on the tree later in that decade and that some town in South Carolina (that calls itself 'Christmas Town USA') claims to have put up the lights outside in 1955.

It's not in South Carolina. It's in North Carolina. And it's one of the awesomest places in the world come Christmastime. I grew up five minutes away from McAdenville, aka Christmastown. During the month of December, the mill that basically supports the town, pays the power bills of everyone who decorates. There's a nice drive through the middle of town that lasts about 20 minutes and all you see are Christmas lights, Santa Clauses, nativity scenes, and a 75-foot high fountain where the water appears to change color.

http://www.mcadenville-christmastown.com/

Apparently though, a condominium company came through and tore down a lot of the historic houses this year, were afterward denied the zoning change, and so have built crappy looking duplexes to spite everyone.

--Eric

Hey, did anyone watch the "World News Tonight" last night, 12/9/05? Because this story was on there again! But this time, it had to be taken down. Because someone's fender got bended, the police said that it was a high risk safty area, and forced him to shut it down. Bummer. But it was awesome while it lasted.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived