New PBClassics Cyberface Thread

peterbernard

Should Peter Bernard receive fair credit for the faces he gave to TC4?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES, all modders should be credited, even if I don't like them.
    • NO, he should be punished for being different from jocks.
    • Howard Stern

This is not in addition to the old thread, this officially retires the old thread. There was too much to scroll through.

So Veesmack (sp?) told me there's a Ted Williams cyberface in the game, #417. I forget if AlexTony told me that before. I checked it out tonight and it's not really that good. Maybe the estate of Ted said no because the face didn't look like him. Below is an image of the three Ted faces extant that I know of.

3teds.jpg

Left is EA's Ted Williams (#417). Middle is mine (#697) and right is Baseballfans' version (#554). Mine is still fuzzy and dark, Bbfans' is a little sweaty, but both of them at least look like Williams. The EA version has more detailed skin, but as in their Gehrig, it makes them look like they have a skin condition.

I'm thinking about uploading a cyberface pack aas a sort of holidays present, I'm deciding which faces to put in it.

I had this dead-on Dwight Evans and Keith Hernandez (at least I thought they looked right) that got lost in a hard drive crash. I wish I still had them to upload.

The two Ted Williams faces on the right look like he might have a peanut allergy. I think the problem is that the nose isn't on the 'nose bump'.

Both of those noses look entirely different from each other, so the rest of what you wrote isn't something I would agree with. Please don't come here to be rude or to provoke arguments or to be insulting to me or Baseballfans (IF that is what you were trying to do--if not I apologize for being bothered by your oddly abrupt comentary). If you have something genuinely constructive to add, you're more than welcome here, though. I liked your Curt Flood face alot. BTW, you never explained how you got the 3/4 shot of Flood evened out in the fsh.

[align=center]WAS HE AN INTENSE PLAYER? YOU BET!

peteroseintense.jpg

AlexTony had requested a Pete Rose with sideburns. If he likes this one, he can have it for any future release.

roserun.jpg

I think I'll put out a facepack with this, Bob Uecker, and the great pitchers of NYC in the 70's: SEAVER*GUIDRY*GOSSAGE*LYLE as my holidays upload. But the lineup might change before the release.

BY THE WAY THANKS to ALEXTONY and whomever else helped get Ron Guidry's name in the TC4 game to go along with my cyberface!!! I just got to hear it for the first time. Very very cool, really adds to it. I didn't know you could edit what the broadcast announcers called the players in that manner. I edit audio professionally with Sony Vegas if you guys need help making more names like that. Is there sound for Mattingly yet? That's a name that can be constructed from other words. If you give me a list and tell me what format you need, I can help add to that collection.

guidry77.jpg

Did he really go 16-7 with only two pitches?

[/align]

Of the 3 Williams faces, I would use the first one.

Your Pete Rose resembles him, but I think the back of his hair needs work since it looks like he has skin popping out out the back of his head.

btw, Looking forward to your Keith Hernandez!

There's skin popping out? My Rose face is in the new TC4- same face but different sideburns. Does that one have a neck sticking out too? Thanks for pointing it out, I never saw that, I'll look. I may be able to recolor to fix it if I can see what you're saying.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Keith Hernandez, I do still have the image I used last time but I can't remember what face mesh I was using. I hope I can recreate that one and my Dwight Evans. I remember doing them the same week, probably over the same mesh. Both were from images from the "Face of Baseball" book, which seems to have been shot mid-80's.

GO HOWARD!!

or go NO!

You did get credit for your faces, just not in the form you wanted.

See this post: http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Foru...p=202125#202125

You keep repeating what I already said. Yes, you mentioned my name in the credits in the face modding department. No, you didn't give me credit for which faces I did, as you did for the other face modders. I didn't think this was a conspiracy or anything till you guys started acting sort of guilty about it. I assumed that because I did so many faces, whoever was writing the credits planned on getting back to finishing my full credit, then never got back to it. I know what that's like. One person is mad at me because I left them off the credits for my movie on its IMdB page. It was an accident, I was not trying to slight that person, they were great in the movie. But there were 18 or 20 people in the credits as actors! Stuff happens.

Whatever people are thinking went on, what went on (in the reality I live in) was that AlexTony cordially contacted me and asked if I had more faces. I made some time for a couple of days and made some more, then I fixed up coloring on some of the old ones that had been rushed out for the previous version (Bill Dickey, Vern Law, Rogers Hornsby I think). I don't know how many of the ones I did are being used. Unlike previous faces, I was not paid anything for this, it was done as a service to the community and because AlexTony is a nice guy.

But I AM human, and as I said, it would be nice to see my Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Thurman Munson, and other faces credited for the 5 or 10 people who actually ever look at credits. But it's not worth an argument. I told Fuzz in an e-mail a long time ago that he owed me nothing, he could have the faces for his project, and good luck. I thank him and I thank you now for all your hard work, and I appreciate the nice words you wrote about my faces; you seem a decent and honest person and I respect that.

Are you honestly telling me that you think the noses on those two Ted Williams faces are accurately placed? The second one, it looks as if the nostril is either non-existent or pushed to the right too far. On the third one, it looks like he has a 'double nose' similiar to a double chin. Thus, when I said it looked like they had a peanut allergy, I was being discriptive. The noses look swollen, as if they've lose their definition.

As far as the Pete Rose, he's right, there is no seperation between the hair and the neck, so it looks like some of the neck graphic should actually be hair graphic? Does that make sense?

Your Guidry has the same problem I'm having with Briles, it looks like he is wearing a Guidry mask. There is a blending problem below the sideburns.

I like your work Peter, I'm only trying to help you 'proof' it, so to speak.

Keep up the good work.

Are you honestly telling me that you think the noses on those two Ted Williams faces are accurately placed? The second one, it looks as if the nostril is either non-existent or pushed to the right too far. On the third one, it looks like he has a 'double nose' similiar to a double chin. Thus, when I said it looked like they had a peanut allergy, I was being discriptive. The noses look swollen, as if they've lose their definition.

As far as the Pete Rose, he's right, there is no seperation between the hair and the neck, so it looks like some of the neck graphic should actually be hair graphic? Does that make sense?

Your Guidry has the same problem I'm having with Briles, it looks like he is wearing a Guidry mask. There is a blending problem below the sideburns.

I like your work Peter, I'm only trying to help you 'proof' it, so to speak.

Keep up the good work.

That's cool, thanks for the extra pair of eyes. Guidry looks great for me though, he even still looks like him when making faces and pitching and so forth. Most of them stop looking like the character when the face contorts. I'll double-check the blend on the cheeks though next time I can get photoshop to output the correct type of bmps. I'm not on my own machine this week.

[align=left]xmaspresentad.jpg

Hopefully this should be online today. My present to you. Feel free to mod my mods if you want to change things around on them. The Pete Rose I did is a new skin over 69Yanks' mesh, the others are EA's meshes. The Gehrig is EA

s but with the zits taken off his cheeks. All of these except Rose are in TC4, so if you have TC4, only download this if you want the Rose with sideburns. I'm also working on a crew-cut Rose, even though I said I wouldn't do that.

Enjoy and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone here.[/align]

[align=justify]guidry2face.jpg

I dunno, looks pretty smooth on both sides to me. Guidry has vertical lines when he smiles or pulls his chin in, I left lighter versions of them deliberately in the face. The cheeks always stretch the skin a bit so there's often cheek distortion but it hardly looks like a "mask." :roll:

In the future, please send me a private letter and send me a screen cap showing what you're talking about, that would be a better way to do things. Thanks.[/align]

So are you saying you don't want actual discussion in your thread on a message board?

I'm not sending you a PM, I'll just point it out right now. See the furthest front point of Guidry's sideburn? Well, take a rounded line all the way down under his chin. See how it's darker there? It's on the right side of the face, but apparently not on the left (per new photos). So it either looks like he washes his face only out so far, or he is wearing a mask.

Please stop being confrontational everytime you post towards me. If you don't want people helping you, then just release the faces and don't post previews. That would be a better way of doing things. Thanks.

No, I don't see what you're talking about. If you are genuinely sincere in wanting to make sure that every face that Baseballfans and I do is 100% perfect, then please I invite you to write me privately and tell me your concerns. Otherwise, if you continue to claim that good faces are not good, people might think you were the boy that cried wolf! People might think you were just trying to crap on my thread, and we would never want people to think THAT about you, would we? Just as you are thinking of me, I am thinking of you.

Really? Since I've said already that you do good work? I don't think anyone is going to get that confused, except you.

Would you rather me not point these things out, you release them and people point them out later?

If you don't want constructive critiques, say so and I'll stop. Your Willie Mays was flawless. No one is going to make a better one. However, it's either your video card or your capture program...or the faces, because those Williams above lack nostrils. Look at the first one. Black marks under the nose showing where the air goes in. Look at the next two, same angle..no nostrils.

Below is the Guidry face. I hope this shows you what I was talking about.

Don't take any of this personal Peter, I'm not trying to say I could do any better. In fact, earlier I said I couldn't accomplish getting rid of this. It's not about you, or me...it's about what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing is either some missing 'little' things or just bad screen caps. That's all.

What do you call the boy who cried wolf when he comes back with a wolf's pelt?

What you're showing there is one of his laugh lines that I left in deliberately and mentioned earlier. That's no wolf's pelt. I put that there deliberately to help make it resemble Guidry. I grew up in the Bronx in the 70's and my father had season tickets and this to me looks like Guidry. It looks like the OLDER Guidry, but that's the one I got going so I'm happy with it.

I appreciate your kind words in the last post but I do think you're obsessed with Guidry's cheek. I invite you to redo his cheek and release it. Send it to AlexTony for the next TC. I left that there deliberately on his cheek just like I left in the laugh lines around his eyes. You know how to take them out in Photoshop if you want. You can give him longer hair too and release him as the younger Guidry.

[align=center]

louisianalightning.jpg

See the lines from the front? It defines the face, they're on his face in the photo I was working from.[/align]

As for WIlliams, I haven't released that Williams, it's an ongoing experiment. I think Basballfans' version has a better nose than mine and a totally different one than mine. I like my eyes better which you or somebody think look stroked out. I think it looks like a left-faced man, which is what Williams was, unless the pix I've studied are flopped. That's why I was anxious to take BBfans' half-face and try it as a full-face, so I could show how different each half of his face was.

Peter, why do some of your previews not show the nostrils? Some do, some don't. I know you don't just leave them off, but that Reds Rose is missing his nostrils. It drives me nuts!!!!!

You've done a good job of capturing Rose's likeness though. Good Job.

As far as the Guidry, that looks good. However, back up a bit and let me see it. That's when my Briles looks bad. If you back up to say, the first baseline, his you can really tell the difference between where I modded and where I didn't. When you get up close, flawless. Away..not so much.

I just told Fuzz I'd get him the list today and thanked him, but I don't see what I wrote, hmmm. Maybe it's my browser. Thanks Fuzz/Ted, that's really nice of you.

I have to do a nosehair mod for HClegend.

BTW, HCL, I thought you were ragging on me till I saw you writing in the King Kong thread and I see that you're just a natural born critic. So I'm not taking it personally now.

I'm looking through the game to see which of my faces are in there and I noticed other things about the 70s Yanks. For some reason Cliff Johnson is rated as teh best player on one of the teams, he was a good bench player but not the best player on the team. And Chambliss is listed as batting cleanup, which I don't think ever happened. Jackson was cleanup, except when Martin was "punishing" him. Piniella often batted 5th or 6th, alternating with Chambliss or Nettles, probably because he was a righty hitter. Randolph and White were either 2nd or 8th in the order, Dent was always last. Nettles used to complain about how low he was in the order. So basically Jackson should be 4, Piniella 5, Chambliss or Nettles 6 or 7, and Randolph or White 8 or 2 (depending on pitcher).

Just thought anyone who wasn't around back then might want to tweak this in their own versions to make it more realistic. Chambliss wasn't really a power hitter even though he was a big guy and is remembered for the playoff homer in '76. He just had some power, and he always batted after Jackson in the order as far as I can remember.

Archived