1996 Jeffrey Maier is back and better

baseballfans

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/coll...60122maier.html

Quotes from the subscription only article

KLOSTER, N.J.--In 1996, a 12-year-old Jeff Maier made a name for himself when he reached over the right-field fence at Yankee Stadium to catch a ball hit by Derek Jeter that appeared bound for the glove of Baltimore's Tony Tarasco in Game One of the American League Championship Series. It was ruled a home run, the game was tied and the Yankees would go on to win the game, the series and the World Series. Maier was an instant icon among Yankees fans, an instant villain in Baltimore.

mc92eb.jpg

Ten years later, Maier is making a name for himself once again--but this time it is on the field. A senior third baseman at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., Maier is poised to help the Cardinals vie for a New England Small College Athletic Conference title and a spot in the NCAA Division III tournament while putting himself in position to be taken in June's draft.

mc94w4.jpg

"I've spent 10 years trying to establish myself as a ballplayer and a person that is no longer a 12-year-old in a black t-shirt at a Yankees game," Maier said. "Unfortunately, for some, it will always be that way. Those who have had the chance to know me know that my goal in life has been to achieve bigger and better things than catching a ball when I was 12."

Archived