Free Agency Mod v 0.1

DarkEnigma510

Just in case you missed this in the mod request forum:

Free Agency Mod V. 0.1

1. What does this mod do?

This mod will increase the number of free agents in the offseason to a more realistic level than found in the default file.

2. What does the resign.csv file do?

The resign.csv file is used by the program in the offseason when determining how many free agents should be resigned by the computer BEFORE free agency. This decision determines how many free agents are available at a given age, at a given star level. In its default form, the resign.csv tends to instruct the CPU to resign most 4 and 5 star players before they hit the free agency market. This explains why there are rarely any big names in the free agent pool every year. The file also tends to treat all players of a given star level the same regardless of whether they are 18 or 45. This isn't what happens in real life.

3. How does this mod change the resign.csv file?

This mod instructs the computer to resign all 3,4 and 5 star players up to the age of 28. This tends to mimic how younger players are not eligible for free agency but rather must go through arbitration. Five star players will become eligible for free agency at around 28 years old; four stars at 29; all others at 30.

This mod will then create a large free agent pool of 30-35 year old players, vying for free agency during their prime earning years. Players older than 35 are still plentiful but not as much as during their 30-35 years.

4. How do I install this mod?

Go to your EA Sports/MVP2005/dat/database folder and you will see a file called resign.csv. Make a back up.

Next, extract this file into that same folder.

The next time you are in dynasty and go through free agency, this file will be used by the CPU to generate the free agents.

It really is an excellent mod...I ran some extensive testing and guys like Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling, David Ortiz (all Red Sox)...all tested the FA market after year one...while at the same time, a lot of players stayed.

It also differs each year because it's completely random, and completely realistic. Fantastic work.

Thanks. My main goal was to create some half decent movement amongst the teams over 3-5 years (esp with the lousy CPU-CPU trades in the game). I also ended up bumping up 3 star free agency because in real life, you actually see tonnes of those guys as free agents either bacuse they want to test the free agency market or their previous team wants to let them go to make room for a prospect. Those 3 star players can be important off season acquisitions. Also, restricting the free agents to around 29 or 30 (except for 1 and 2 star players) is also more realistic and means you can just pluck BJ Upton or Miguel Cabrera in the free agency pool when in real life he wouldn't be there.

Also, one of the cool things I noticed when testing was that sometimes players become free agents but may still end up back with the same team. For example, I saw Manny Ramirez a couple of times become a free agent and then sign back up with the Red Sox. Also, big budget teams like the Yankees should have an advantage since they can afford the big name free agents more than a smal market team. I can't tell you how many times I saw Shilling end up going to the Yankees (I guess to join his buddy Damon ;))

I liked the idea so much I just did my own because I didn't want to wait for your mod to come out. Plus my season just ended. Problem-and this may be unrelated, why is it that some teams will get rid of rookies as in offer them to be in the Trading Block but have plenty of $ to resign them? Like the Yanks for example had 50+ million bucks in their bank account but put a rookie SS on the trading block, most likely because his contract was about to be up. What is up with that?

I bet this is what happened, and this may be important for someone else to read-

That file that I modded myself was done and then a new season began. I read where you changed your mod to make the yonger players under age 28 resign with their team like 100% of the time. Well, when I read that, I went back and re-modded my file. However, the new season started already with my previously modded file used and thus that is why the Yanks did not resign that guy. I know this has to be true because that stuff will happen with say, the rookie.big file.

Yeah, just to clarify, I made it so that 100% of 4 and 5 star guys re-sign since in real life I think they would be protected. I made it so that a very few 3 stars could be available and a normal amount of 1 and 2 stars could be available in the off season.

As for who ends up on the trading block, thats handled by a different file (probably hardcoded).

is this effecting players younger than 30 already in the free agent pool at the start of a new gaem? I needed to fill my AA pitching staff with a starter, so I went to the FA Pool, found the "worst" guy on the SP list (22 year old pitcher...I was usuing UR 5.1)...the guy had about 1/4 of his bar filled and thats being generous....he refused to take anything less than MLB starter salary! Same thing occured when I wanted to sign some young scrubs to play in my lower minor leagues, they all wanted MLB starter money, and most of those guys, while prospects, where not "ready for the show" by a long shot.....anyone else have this problem?

I've been playing HH/MVP for years and this is the first time I'm noticing this....

As far as I know, this file has no effect on free agents when starting the game. Also, it has no impact on contract amounts (other than the fact more big name free agents could result in higher price wars).

As for your observation, I've noticed going back to MVP2004 there are a certain amount of scrubs in F.A that sit there because they are asking for more money than they are worth.

Another comment I made in the other forum:

If you want to increase trades within your dynasty, keep fair trades off. The CPU teams will trade more with each other and you will see a few big trades before the deadline. While no trading engine is perfect, the trades are completely unreasonable (e.g. you won't see a trade of A-Rod for a scrub), they tend to be somewhat equal valued players. Also, you'll notice the CPU seems to value catchers a lot since you will see catchers traded quite a bit.

Either way, I enjoyed doing this in my dynasty to help create movement of players. That along with this free agency mod should produce good turnover on dynasty teams which is generally what makes dynasties interesting.

Of course, when you go to make a trade, you can turn fair trades back to on to make your own trading more challenging.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived