Letter Of Appreciation

Mynk88

I just donated for the second time, and although you might think I'm posting because I want to be heralded for it, that's honestly not the case at all.

I'd heard about all these fancy mods that were being made for MVP 2005, but at the time my PC wasn't up to snuff for it, and I wasn't all that impressed by MVP 2004 anyway, so I shrugged it off and continued my pursuit of electronic baseball satisfaction by route of the console, and I don't think I have to go into too much detail about how that turned out. I was like so many others, the High Heaters who'd been tossed by the wayside with no explanation, and with no acceptable replacement.

Well guess what? I won a company football pool and decided "What the hell, I'll upgrade my PC and get MVP 2005, and even though I know it'll disappoint the hell out of me, at least I'll be able to finally experience these mods they all make such a fuss about.

So I got MVP 2005, installed it, played it and said "What the heck did I do this for? It's MVP 2004 with a few fixes and enhancements, nothing more."

Then I decided to get daring and try MVP mods. I was simply looking for a roster update and maybe a datafile, and I stumbled in just as the MVP '06 beta was the talk of the board. With only minimal trouble, mostly due to my inexperience, I downloaded and installed the mod, only to be thrown into an eye-opening realization that I had been missing out on something very special. I did the mod, the 1X conversion, the grass changer and the datafile fix, and I was completely awestruck. It indeed WAS like a new game. I was so unexpectedly impressed I just had to donate. Not just because I had the cash, but because I was truly surprised by the impact the modders had made.

So I started looking around, and being a child of the sixties I decided to

check out the Total Classics threads, and remember thinking "There's no way they could pull this off." But, I had the PC power now and figured I'd give it at least a look-see, decided to download it, and after I installed it (eventually) and gave it a try, I was treated to such a satisfying dose of nostalgic baseball nirvana that I could hardly believe it.

I had Old Time Baseball on my old PC, and for it's time it was a reasonable replication of, well, old time baseball, but when I played that first game on my "new" PC, 64 Athletics at 62 Red Sox, I honestly was immersed in it so much I actually felt emotional about it. This wasn't the cardboard cut-out animations of Old Time. I was actually watching Wayne Causey taking his hacks against Bill Monbouquette, just like I remember when I was sitting in the box seats behind the Red Sox dugout with my dad (when they were affordable), and tonight, just a couple of hours ago I played the '65 Twins at the '65 Indians, and if I didn't actually remember seeing them I most definately can say the image on their baseball card that I back then held in my hand like gold came to life. Chuck Hinton, I swear I got 12 of him for every 1 of Sam McDowell.

But anyway, I just had to donate again because Total Classics is like another new game in itself, and in just a few days has brought me more pleasure than the last 10 baseball games combined, and all because a few baseball nuts who decided it'd be worthwhile to share their combination of dedicated love of baseball and electronic baseball know-how with the rest of us.

I, for one, am very grateful.

Mynk88,

What a wonderful post. Thanks so very much for taking the time to express your appreciation for these marvelous, generous and oh so talented group of Modders from MVPMods.

You actually hit home with me because you apparently enjoyed the '60s and OldTime Baseball. I think I was, if not the first, one of the very first people to place an order for Oldtime Baseball. I also played that game for several years.

Total Classics is an awesome piece of work with so many contributions coming from so many folks. I focus primarily on the '60s myself and continue to enhance my enjoyment by adding to my assortment of Teams from that era.

I am also not embarrassed to say that I am old enough to have seen most of those players play as well as I was born in the '40s. Please keep in touch as I would truly enjoy sharing my love for baseball from the '60s with you. On this forum there actually are several of us that really enjoy the '60s baseball era so I think you will probably enjoy hanging in here with us for awhile.

Take Care,

Don

Archived