Quick Help with Photoshop. Thanks.

UncleMo

Hello.

I need to know how to take a photo and add a background. I am using Photoshop 7. I need step by step instructions. The only tools I know are the stamp tool and zoom in and zoom out tool.

Say for example I have to take a photo of an item, say, this picture attached below.

Do you see where I have to rig a white board so that I can crop my picture and have a white background? How do I simply take an object in a picture and give it a white background. This would help me at work. No training for such a thing is offered by my employer, for those that may ask. If I learn this I could provide better .jpgs for those in my company. Thank you, Mo.

Edit: photo was too big, here is a different photo.

Let's pretend I have an item that was so big that it did not fit onto my white poster board. Let's say I set it up against some file cabinets and took pics of the item. How can I get a white background behind the pic instead of the pic of the item having cabinets behind it?

If there's a contrast of color like the picture up there, you can just use the magic wand tool, which selects parts of the picture by color. If part of the picture is selected by the magic wand, then you can use an eraser to get rid of the piece that you don't want.

Let me know if you need some more help, Mo. I can help you with the basics.

In your print screen, is the entire image selected or just the cylinder (the cylinder is part of a wind chime by the way)?

Ok, I tested the wand tool, lets say the wand actually selected all of the object, like the cylinder and the wire/rope dangling down. What then?

Well, I selected the whole rest of the image, and then you can Ctrl+X to cut the rest of the picture out. Then you have to create a new layer (The second box from the right on the box on the bottom right-hand side of your screen), and use the paint bucket (right-click on the gradient if it's not there) to paint the background white.

Mo, I take the Polygonal Lasso Tool (it's on the toolbox in the upper section, but you might need to right click on a different version of the lasso tool to select it), and select what I want to stay, and then copy that. Next, I make a new document. Don't touch the size box. Paste it on there and then make a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N) and fill it with white. Or you could keep the bg transparent.

If you need more details let me know.

-BBHD

• 1 month later...

I realize this thread is a month old, but I wanted to put my two cents in on this as well.

In the years I've been working with PhotoShop, Quick Mask Mode has become one of my best friends. That's how I extracted the players from their photos for my sig as well as how I do most of my photo manipulation work.

Using this method can take a little longer, but you have a lot more control and the results look a lot smoother.

Let me know if you're interested in this, and I can whip up a quick tutorial for you.

Archived