Did DMHN get shut down?

That scares the crap out of me. The NHL alledgedly shut down the site for copyright infringement. It could be an incredibly involved April Fools joke, but I doubt it.

This is from NHLDepot.net:

What appears to be the final days of DMHN has happened. The admins received notice that the NHL wants them to stop using NHL logos for their downloads. Legal matters and compensation was going to be pursued if DMHN did not comply with the cease and desist order. Many think this is a huge April Fool's day prank. I have talked to Drezz, who is named in the suit, and he is very upset and I've known him for quite sometime so he wouldn't pull my chain.

The website has been shutdown and so have the forums. NHLDepot would like to invite all those who found their home at DMHN to post and become members here and continue their fantastic work for the NHL series. I am not happy about this at all. DMHN was a bigger site with more talent and it was always that thorn that made me try harder to compete with them. I always say this is just the internet but sometimes you grow attached to a website because you get to know people online through forums or msn or aim. For those who were admins and staff at dmhn, I have no problem offering staff positions to help ease the transition period for those that do come here. The doors to NHLDepot are always open to those who love the game of hockey as much as we do.

Kenny, do you realize that they (well, we since you may know me) got shut down BECAUSE people e-mailed TSN? The NHL got wind of it and threatened libel suits because, really, the NHL has NOTHING to do with it, it is one of their offshoot monitoring groups. Don't send e-mails, don't get Drezz/Drew/Rob in any more crap than they are already in.

Kenny, do you realize that they (well, we since you may know me) got shut down BECAUSE people e-mailed TSN? The NHL got wind of it and threatened libel suits because, really, the NHL has NOTHING to do with it, it is one of their offshoot monitoring groups. Don't send e-mails, don't get Drezz/Drew/Rob in any more crap than they are already in.

I din't E-mail anyone, I was just saying other people did.

They were shut down for accepting donations that were used to upgrade the site and provide a home for the mods. Much the same as this site is run. The donations are viewed as payment for the mods, because the donations support the hosting of the mods.

I could see where this is an elaborate April Fools joke, but the site risks losing a lot of members because of it.

5 points to the NHL for "Pathetic organisation of the day" award.

Donations viewed as payment for mods? Give me a break.

Pathetic. The part that's even more annoying is that because it was pretty much a non-profit organisation, they probably won't be able to pool funds to challenge the NHL in court. If they did, I think they'd have a decent case, as long as the judge had half a brain and didn't bow to the copyright infringement suit.

I thought cyber-nhl.net went down because the guy who ran the site (tim i think his name was) moved on to something else and didnt have time to run the site.

Both double minor and cyber-nhl had some great modders, and the detail they put into their stuff is amazing.

Archived