CTS 'R' Us

Dagger147

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how do you make your cts screens? I would like to take a crack at making my own.

P.S. 100th post! :lol:

I'm working on a step-by-step tutorial, so bear with me. It may be a little while.

In the mean time, get these programs:

EAGraph

http://www.nba-live.com/download/pafiledb....tion=file&id=14

Installer Thingy 1.5

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Down...details&id=2727

Hopefully, you already have Photoshop.

Also, the best place I've found to get images is here:

http://photostore.mlb.com/source/Home.aspx

All of the images there are from last year. If anyone has another site that they get them from, please let me know.

The best images to use are 594px wide X 475px high

I try to avoid using the 475px wide X 594px high. If I absolutely have to use these, I try to find a decent background. Otherwise, the image will be stretched out and the person wiould look fat and bloated.

I'll get the tutorial posted as soon as I can.

Have you seen Digital Utopia's tutorial? It's how I got started.

--Eric

That's how I got started too, but I beleive the tutorial is for 1x images. I've learned from reading other posts that the images should be 1024x1024.

I'm done writing the tutorial, but I've included some images so that it's easier to follow along.

If I were to upload the file, will I also have to include the images? I wrote the tutorial using MS Word if that makes any difference.

Using Photoshop to Create CTS Screens

First, get an image. The bigger, the better. I usually try to avoid anything smaller than 800 X 600. Most of the images I use come from here:

http://photostore.mlb.com/source/Home.aspx

Next, start Photoshop and then open the image you want to use.

Make any changes that you want.

Now to resize the image.

ScreenShot001.jpg

First, with Constrain Proportions checked, resize the width to 1024 pixels. Click OK

ScreenShot002.jpg

Next, uncheck Constrain Proportions and resize the height to 1024 pixels. Click OK.

At this point, you can either save the image as is or insert the image into a CTS template.

I save my images as a Targa file (.tga), but you can also save it as a .bmp.

If you want a template, you can get this:

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Down...details&id=1566

This is the one that I use:

ScreenShot003.jpg

I received this from bigbully (Thanks bigbully!). But I made a few modifications.

If you want to use it also, I can either e-mail it to you or post it. Just PM me if you want it e-mailed.

If you’re going to use a template, follow these steps to insert your image.

Open your template and minimize it.

Now, select your image (Select - All).

Then copy (Edit - Copy).

Maximize the template and highlight the Paste Image Here box in the Layers box. If you can’t see the Layers box, select Window - Layers (or press F7).

I usually merge all of the layers together. I really don’t know if it makes any difference though.

This is what mine looks like:

ScreenShot004.jpg

Now, save this newly created image as either a .tga or a .bmp.

You can close both the template and your original image at this point. If you want to keep using the template, DO NOT save it.

Using EAGraph to Insert Your Image

Start EAGraph and select Open.

Navigate to your MVP Baseball 2005 folder. Double click on the data folder. Then double click on the frontend folder. Click on the bkgnds.big file and select Open.

ScreenShot005.jpg

In EAGraph, you’ll see a list of the .fsh files on the left. Look for 58bd.fsh and select it. Click on the plus sign (+). Click on 58bd and you’ll see the image that is your current CTS screen.

ScreenShot006.jpg

Select Extract.

ScreenShot007.jpg

Extract the file to whatever folder you want. Just remember where you put it. I extract it to My Pictures.

Close the file but don’t close EAGraph.

Now you’ll want to open the 58bd file that you extracted earlier.

Select Tools - Import Wizard

ScreenShot008.jpg

When the new box pops up, make sure that "Import an existing external file into the current open image" is selected. Click Next.

ScreenShot009.jpg

In the new box that pops up, select Browse.

ScreenShot010.jpg

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the image you created in Photoshop. Select Open.

Select Next in the Import Wizard box. The Import Wizard will do its thing and you’ll see this:

ScreenShot011.jpg

Select Finished. If you click on 58bd in the left-hand column, you’ll see the image that you made in Photoshop.

Now you can close EAGraph.

Krawhitham created a program called Installer Thingy 1.5. This program is extremely easy to use. You can get it here:

http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Down...details&id=2727

This is what I use to get my images into the game.

Open Installer Thingy 1.5.

ScreenShot012.jpg

Select option 3.

A new folder called "backgrounds" will open. The folder is empty so you’ll need to navigate to where you saved your 58bd file. Copy the 58bd file and paste it into the backgrounds folder.

ScreenShot013.jpg

As the installer-thingy box says, Press any key to continue...

Installer Thingy will do its thing and you’re all set. Open MVP 2005 and admire your handiwork.

ScreenShot014.jpg

If you have problems or noticed any errors in this tutorial, please let me know.

Dagger147

pemur@adelphia.net

After doing a little research, I learned that the difference between 1x and 2x is the final dimensions of the image you make in Photoshop. 1x would be 512x512, and 2x would be 1024x1024. As near as I can tell, this would reduce the "stretched" look of the CTS screen. If this is actually the case, then the tutorial I made is for 2x screens.

I also read that a pixel aspect ratio of 1.3333 is advisable. I tried this and really didn't notice any difference in the final product. Hopefully, one of our resident experts here can explain this better than I.

Archived