Bizarre question about pitches and little leaguers

SwinginSoriano

I throw a 4-seam 2-seam, Circle Change, Cutter, Knuckle. I throw mostly Cutters, alot of people twist their wrist when they throw, but I don't. I just put as much pressure as possible on the top finger(s) and push it down when i release, it gets the same effect as twisting it, but with more speed, accuracy, and it doesn't hurt your arm. in the LLWS, alot of those kids will wear out their arm by 15 years old. My league where I live used to be Little League, but they switched to pony league. (high school rules) last year. I made the all-star team for the 6th straight year this year, and we have a shot of winning district. I am in the Bronco age group. If we go anywhere I'll let you guys know. I don't want to throw a curveball ever. It's just wierd, the throwing motion, and i don't want to attempt it. I want to be a Major League pitcher, 1st baseman, or outfielder. I'll play anywhere, just to get in the Majors. I don't want to need surgery on my arm when I'm this young.

I throw a 4-seam 2-seam, Circle Change, Cutter, Knuckle. I throw mostly Cutters, alot of people twist their wrist when they throw, but I don't. I just put as much pressure as possible on the top finger(s) and push it down when i release, it gets the same effect as twisting it, but with more speed, accuracy, and it doesn't hurt your arm. in the LLWS, alot of those kids will wear out their arm by 15 years old. My league where I live used to be Little League, but they switched to pony league. (high school rules) last year. I made the all-star team for the 6th straight year this year, and we have a shot of winning district. I am in the Bronco age group. If we go anywhere I'll let you guys know. I don't want to throw a curveball ever. It's just wierd, the throwing motion, and i don't want to attempt it. I want to be a Major League pitcher, 1st baseman, or outfielder. I'll play anywhere, just to get in the Majors. I don't want to need surgery on my arm when I'm this young.

How old and how hardt to you throw (mph)?

I'm going to make it to the show too, so I guess I'll see you there ;)

Sure, I want to be a Marlin, but in all of my dreams I see mself in an Oriole Uni. It's wierd. 1 month ago I clocked at 58. But that was my top. I'm getting in better shape now, so I should be a t 60-65 by August when School ball starts again.

a "real" sinker will not hurt the arm at all. Some people believe a 12-6 curveball is a sinker....its not. A real sinker is thrown just like a 2 seam fastball. However, instead of trying to get the most backspin on release to propel the ball forward like a regular fastball the ball kinda slips off the finger tips thus with less rotation. The less backspin on the ball means the ball isnt held on a straight plane as long and then drops. Cutters can also be bad on the arm since its similar to a slider.

the only real safe pitches despite what anyone else will tell you:

- 4 seam and 2 seam fastballs

-sinker (even though it doesnt hurt the arm I dont believe in it for young kids because not learning to get that optimal backspin on their fastball is obviously detremental to their fastball.

-palmball and circle change ups

p.s. some people will tell you there is such thing as a safe curveball.... its not.

I pitch in Pony League Baseball around here and I throw the basic 4-seam fastball at about 65 mph. I throw the cutter and 2-seamer at various times at about 60 mph. I also throw a curve - a basic 12 to 6 curve that is done mostly with the wrist. In additon I throw a knuckle ball (not much movenment). Those are the basic little league pitches, besides the knuckle, and they haven't hurt my arm yet (age 13). I think a curve that is thrown with the wrist doesn't hurt your arm much and fastballs are just fastballs. The knuckle is just a different grip, so it doesn't hurt the arm.

How about splitters? Those can be knee-buckling pitches, and they're thrown kinda like sinkers. I'd love to have a splitter in my repetoire, but I'm only 14, so I don't want to blow my arm out.

well, it'll be kinda hard for them to throw it, dont you think? SMALL HANDS in Little League.

Any sort of a split would be hard on the elbow. Can also be hard on fingers of younger kids. Plus like Medric822 said they wouldnt have big enough hands for it. It is one thing to be able to throw it .....another thing for it to be effective.

Joey, the big thing about those pitches is that you would not feel them hurting your arm now. Your top end performance after your body matures is what they would be hurting. This is often why the best pitchers at the ages of 12,13,14 are not the best pitchers later in their upperclassman high school years. Often the best pitchers at that age are pressured into using these pitches to stay on top of the competition at that age. I would much rather teach locating the fastball at that age. Hitters at that age often have a ton of holes and weaknesses, its a lot easier to exploit those weaknesses with location than having to learn a pitch.... plus a lot better for developing solid mechanics for the future.

With the split finger, it can be thrown two ways. One is just a modified fastball as Bama said, but there is a way to tweak your arm a certain way (I believe it's in the elbow) to get more move break on the pitch.

eh? Didn't know about the second way. But I for one know that myself, and everyone else I know who throws it (or tries) just holds it kinda like a two seam except with the huge gap b/w the middle and index

If you split the ball just past the seams then it shouldnt hurt you anywhere. This may get a little more movement but I wouldnt really consider it a true splitter. However, if you totally split the ball between your fingers then yes it can cause problems.

Archived