Will the MLB ever Expand again??

mdewals

was taking a look at the standings and noticed that if the American League added a team to Western and Central divisions, all 3 divisions would be equal in size to their NL counterparts.

So will MLB Expand somewhere in our lifetime or will Tampa bay and Arizona be the last expansion teams??

ok help me out here....whats the difference with contract a team and expanding??

contracting a team would be "upgrading" a AAA team??

also, i've read somewhere that both leagues need even numbers in teams otherwise 1 or 2 teams would always have a day off or there would be an interleague game each day.

right now its AL 14 teams and NL 16 teams....so if even numbers are needed, either NL needs to drop 2 teams or AL must gain 2 teams to reach equal sized leagues.

I think the need to realign the divisions, and contract a team or two. A salary cap would also help the league out. Just my opinion though.
i relize that is your opionion but.........

[Naughty word] the salary cap :stone:

Note: edited once

Expansion is when you add a team(s). Contraction is when you actually have a team(s) fold. They tried to do that to Minnesota prior to the 2002 season.

Your explanation for needing even number teams is exactly right.

ok, here's my two cents...

Contraction would hurt the game. Sure, baseball is back in Washington, but major and maybe minor league baseball will NEVER return to Montreal. MLB did that city and the province of Quebec wrong. Ken Griffey said it best, "We picked the wrong year [1994] to have a great season". Baseball could help itself out by getting one of the two Florida teams out and onto San Antonio, who wants a franchise. They could field one on a temp basis at the Alamodome. If the game can work itself out financially for all 30 teams, expansion wouldn't be outta the question and probably go to eight divisions instead of four. Buffalo could support a franchise, and possibly Portland, Oregon, or maybe expand to Mexico. Hell, we could see a team in Cuba. Who knows....

My Realignment:

AL North

Boston

Buffalo

New York

Toronto

AL East

Baltimore

Cleveland

Detroit

Tampa Bay

AL Central

Chicago

Kansas City

Minnesota

Texas

AL West

Los Angeles

Oakland

San Antonio

Seattle

NL North

Cincinnati

New York

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

NL East

Atlanta

Florida

Milwaukee

Washington

NL Central

Chicago

Colorado

Houston

St. Louis

NL West

Arizona

Los Angeles

San Diego

San Francisco

Schedule....Rivals for IL Play: New York, Chicago, L.A., Oak/SF, HOU/TEX, STL/KC, CIN/CLE, WSH/BAL....18 games versus IL, 6 games versus non-division (72), 72 versus division (24 apiece)..or, go 12 IL, 9 ND (108), 14 DIV (40)..two extra games for "Division Rival"

yea for real, baseball needs a salary cap... lets think about it... the nfl and the nba are way ahead of the mlb in terms of financial shape... yes, the redsox and yankees make money, but so many of the others dont... the nfl and nba both have salary caps, and are better financial leagues... the mlb doesnt and is in poor financial shape... whats that say? you need a salary cap... and also, bud selig needs fired... quick

Actually I can see Oakland being in favor of a salary cap. Fans of teams like Oakland and Minnesota get awfully sick of seeing their best players leave because of the Financial gulf that exists between the upper and lower revenue teams. I imagine A's fans wouldnt mind if they had been able to hang on to the likes of Giambi, Tejada, Mulder, and Hudson, or even just a few of them to help them get over that hump. If you're going to build a championship team in a lower revenue market you have to have one of the smartest gm's in the game (capable of a Pierzynski for Nathan, Lirano and Boof Bonser sort of trade :D). Meanwhile a 5 year old could be the Yankee's GM. Just my opinion lol.

MLB won't be making the leagues and divisions equal anytime soon unless they plan on changing the way interleague play is... you can't have the same number of teams in the AL and the NL and keep the schedules the way they are now, because if there were the same number of teams in each league there would have to be an AL team in a series with an NL team throughout the season

MLB will never (thankfully) get a salary cap because the Players Union won't allow it. And if you haven't noticed, a salary floor would help more than a salary cap. Alot of major league owners have money like Steinbrenner to spend and alot of them don't. The Royals, Marlins, Devil Rays, Pirates among others need to spend more money. They are whats wrong with baseball. Not the Yankees and Red Sox.

I can't stand the DH, all it createes is inflated scores. My favorite game is the 1-0 game, so it shows that I don't like the DH. There is more strategy in the senior circuit, and though the talent level might not be as good in the NL, the games are more exciting.

Another thing I would hate to see happen. The pitcher hitting takes away from the game imo, I hate NL baseball. The AL is much more exciting imo.

DH is great so that Clemens can hit Piazza in the head in his home field and get away with it.

But seriously, this is a longstanding debate. Only good thing about the AL is that you dont have to take your pitcher out even when he sucks.

The bad part of the AL is that bench players rarely get used and there is just less strategy involved.

Baseball was created without the DH in mind, I think it should returned to "normal".

With a salary cap in place and share revenues all sports leagues could go the way of the NFL. If a place like Green Bay can stay alive (ticket revenue + share TV revenues) then perhaps a city like Montreal could have a fighting chance.

I'm a homer and I know. But I still love my Expos.

Archived