Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NLDS – Game 5: Nationals (2-2) @ Dodgers (2-2)

Un-be-liev-able! Walker's Blast Sends Dodgers To NLCS

game5pi5.jpg

Left: The Dodgers celebrate the win over the Nationals; Right: RF Larry Walker hits the game-winning home run.

The Dodgers are advancing to the NLCS, thanks to a dramatic 3-2 victory over the Nationals in Game 5 of the Division Series. In the bottom of the eighth inning, LA was down by a run, but one swing of the bat would turn things around for the Californians. With Craig Biggio on first base and one out, outfielder Larry Walker smacked a two-run homer into the right-field stands to give his team the lead. Following the long ball, the crowd at sold-out Dodger Stadium went wild. "I've had a number of big home runs in my career, but this one definitely ranks among the top three", Walker was all smiles after the win.

The game started well for the Dodgers and their starter Roger Clemens. In the bottom of the second inning, the home team had loaded the bases with no outs, but Jose Vizcaino grounded into a double play. However, the Dodgers scored one run on the play to take the first lead of the night. Clemens was sharp on the mound, fanning seven Nationals over as many innings. Still, Washington tied the game in the fourth on Michael Barrett's two-out RBI single. The catcher struck again in the sixth when he drove in Jim Edmonds for the go-ahead run.

In the eighth inning, an error by Washington's second baseman Adam Kennedy allowed Biggio to reach first base. "If he hadn't committed that error, I'm not sure we would be this happy right now", Biggio later commented on Kennedy's costly mistake. The rest is history. After Walker's clutch blast, closer Trevor Hoffman came into the game in the ninth. He retired the side without any problems, thus sending the Dodgers to the NLCS. "I still can't believe it", manager Jim Tracy said afterwards. "For a playoff series to end this way is almost surreal. I'm extremely proud of my players, and we're very excited to take on the Rockies in the Championship Series."

Boxscore: WAS 2 – LAD 3

Man, this is turning out to be a fairytale!

Ok, now I agree with you. :-)

Honestly, Game 5 of the NLDS was one of the most exciting games I've ever played in MVP2005. At first, I was watching Walker's home run fly into the stands in sheer disbelief. I think I didn't fully realize what had happened until the game was over.

Good luck in the NLCS.

Grazie, I'll do my best.

Sure, I'm gonna let you know how many of these veterans will retire after the season. Who knows, maybe the entire team will call it quits after having won the World Series. ;-)

Is that a little foreshadowing?

NLCS – Game 1: Rockies (3-1) @ Dodgers (3-2)

Flash Pounded In Devastating Opening Defeat

game6xh2.jpg

Left: A. Kearns drives in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning; Right: T. Gordon gave up seven runs for the loss.

For more than eight innings in Game 1 of the NLCS, the Dodgers seemed to pick up where they had left against the Nationals in the Division Series. Stellar pitching by starter Steve Sparks and solid defense held the Rockies scoreless over seven innings. The knuckleballer only allowed four hits for the visiting team and struck out three opposing batters. Colorado's starter Curt Schilling also went seven strong innings, but he couldn't keep up with Sparks.

With runners on first and second and one out in the fifth inning, Kenny Lofton found the gap between center and left field for a two-run triple. Vinny Castilla and Sparks scored on the play, giving the Dodgers a 2-0 lead. However, the tide turned in the eighth when setup man Tom Gordon took the mound for LA. Flash easily retired the first two batters he faced, but then Clint Barmes' single started an impressive rally for Colorado. "All of a sudden, the Rockies hit everything thrown in their direction", Gordon struggled for words after the game. "It was a complete nightmare."

Following Barmes' base hit, Colorado ripped seven more hits off the relief pitcher, including a three-run homer from catcher Henry Blanco. By the end of the inning, the Rockies had scored a total of seven runs. "We were all in a state of shock", LA's Greg Myers admitted afterwards. "All we needed was one out, but we just couldn't get it done." In the end, the Rockies prevailed over the Dodgers, thanks to the late rally. "That's playoff baseball", Dodgers manager Jim Tracy commented on the loss. "It ain't over 'til it's over".

Boxscore: COL 7 – LAD 3

NLCS – Game 2: Rockies (4-1) @ Dodgers (3-3)

Dodgers Tie Series With Extra-Inning Win

game7ie4.jpg

Left: Kenny Lofton's RBI double drives in the game-winning run for LA; Right: Frank Thomas had a four-hit night.

A walk-off RBI double by center fielder Kenny Lofton gave the Dodgers a hard-earned win over the Rockies in twelve innings. With the score being tied at 1-1 after nine innings, the game went into extra innings. In the top of the eleventh, Colorado took the lead when Chipper Jones scored all the way from first base on Luis Gonzalez's two-bagger. In the bottom of the inning, the visiting team was just one out away from capturing the second straight game at Dodger Stadium.

However, after closer Julian Tavarez had decided to intentionally walk Barry Bonds (who was then replaced by speedy pinch runner Eric Young), LA's first baseman Frank Thomas connected for a single down the right field line. Young hustled around the bases to score the tying run. "Yesterday, we couldn't get an important out", Thomas, who was 4-for-5 on the night, told reporters after the game. "And today, Colorado couldn't either." In the bottom of the twelfth, Lofton delivered a clutch two-out hit off Rockies reliever Jorge Julio for the walk-off win.

Prior to the extra-inning showdown, Bonds had opened the scoring in the fourth inning with his first home run in almost a month. "I'm very much relieved that I finally got one out", the slugger said. Following his long ball, Bonds received three free passes in a row by the Rockies. LA's starter Kevin Brown was dominant on the mound, fanning eight over 6 1/3 innings. The only run he gave up came in the seventh on Austin Kearns' solo shot.

Boxscore: COL 2 – LAD 3

NLCS – Game 3: Dodgers (4-3) @ Rockies (4-2)

LA Overpowers Colorado At Coors Field

game8bm3.jpg

Left: The Big Hurt hits a three-run homer in the seventh inning; Right: Kenny Rogers earned the win for his team.

An offensive outburst which resulted in 13 runs helped the Dodgers top the Rockies in Game 3 of the NLCS. LA's sluggers Barry Bonds and Frank Thomas both had outstanding plate appearances and combined for seven RBIs on the night. Bonds, who drove in two runs, had a pair doubles and a single and was walked twice. Thomas again crushed the opposing side, going 4-for-5 against the Rockies for the second straight game. "Yeah, I'm really in the zone at the moment", the Big Hurt declared after his five-RBI performance.

Jamie Moyer started on the mound for the home team, but the lefty did not have much success against LA's lineup. Bonds' two-run double off Moyer opened the scoring in the top of the first inning, and the visitors added two runs in the third and three in the fourth to take a comfortable 7-0 lead. Kenny Rogers, who started the game for the Dodgers, held the opposing side to just a single run over four innings, but ran into some trouble in the fifth. After Jason Conti had led off the frame with a solo shot, the Rockies ripped five consecutive singles off Rogers, driving in four runs.

With the score being 8-5 after six innings, the game was still close, but the Dodgers would change that in the seventh. Jeff Conine was at second base and Bonds at first when Thomas took Colorado's reliever Greg Aquino deep for a three-run blast. "All I wanted him to do is to protect Bonds, but he's doing much more than that right now", manager Jim Tracy commented on the Big Hurt. In the end, the Dodgers celebrated both the 13-6 win at Coors Field and the 2-1 lead in the Championship Series.

Boxscore: LAD 13 – COL 6

NLCS – Game 4: Dodgers (5-3) @ Rockies (4-3)

Suppan, Rockies Down Dazzled Dodgers

game9rd0.jpg

Left: Colorado's starter Jeff Suppan pitched a gem; Right: Jim Thome rounds the bases after his two-run homer.

Game 4 of the NLCS between the Dodgers and the Rockies was dominated by solid defense from both teams. Colorado's starting pitcher Jeff Suppan tamed LA's offense, almost throwing a complete-game shutout. The 30-year-old went eight scoreless innings, but surrendered a run in the ninth when Greg Myers drove in pinch runner Eric Young from third base with a two-out sacrifice fly. Jose Vizcaino then stepped to the plate, representing the tying run for the Dodgers, but closer Julian Tavarez induced a ground out to end the game.

Roger Clemens, who started on the mound for the Californians, went all eight innings, giving up three runs on seven hits while recording three strikeouts. "I didn't have a bad game, but Suppan definitely was the better pitcher today", the Rocket acknowledged afterwards. In the bottom of the second inning, Jim Thome hammered a two-run shot off Clemens to give the Rockies the first lead of the game. One inning later, Chipper Jones' double allowed Pedro Feliz to score all the way from first base.

In the sixth inning, the Dodgers were given a big opportunity after Larry Walker had been hit by Suppan to load the bases. With two outs, Barry Bonds was up next, but LA's slugger could not take advantage of the situation and struck out. "It was a disappointing night for me", Bonds admitted after the game. "If I had come through in the sixth, it would've been a huge boost for my team." The series is now tied at 2-2, with one game left to be played at Coors Field.

Boxscore: LAD 1 – COL 3

Archived