Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NLCS – Game 5: Dodgers (5-4) @ Rockies (5-3)

Rockies Walk-Off With Huge Extra-Inning Win

game5fa9.jpg

Left: C. Barmes drives in the winning run in the tenth inning; Right: Starting pitcher J. Blanton had a terrific game.

A walk-off RBI single by shortstop Clint Barmes in the tenth inning lifted the Rockies over the Dodgers in Game 5 of the NLCS. With the score being tied at 2-2 and two men on base, Barmes lined a ball into deep left field to bring home the winning run. It was his third hit of the night and his tenth in the series. The walk-off hit came off LA's relief pitcher Mark Guthrie, who had replaced fellow left-hander Buddy Groom in the bottom of the inning.

The Dodgers took the first lead of the game in the second inning. After Barry Bonds had started the frame with a double, he was able to score from third base on Chipper Jones' fielding error. LA's starter Steve Sparks kept the opposing side from scoring over six innings, but gave up a pair of runs in the seventh. Pinch hitter Vincent Sinisi tied the game for the home team, and Henry Blanco scored the go-ahead run on Barmes' single. "I gave away the lead too easily", Sparks later commented on Colorado's two-run inning.

Despite trailing the Rockies by one run in the top of the ninth inning, the Dodgers managed to tie the game against closer Julian Tavarez. Bonds opened the inning by drawing a walk, and Omar Vizquel's single moved pinch runner Eric Young to third base. Greg Myers then hit a sacrifice fly, allowing Young to cross home plate and force extra innings. Unfortunately for LA, it would take Barmes only one additional inning to deliver the game-ending hit. With the Rockies being just a single win away from the World Series, the NLCS heads back to LA.

Boxscore: LAD 2 – COL 3

NLCS – Game 6: Rockies (6-3) @ Dodgers (5-5)

Phenomenal Rally By Golden Boys Forces Game 7

game6sa2.jpg

Left: B. Bonds' homer is celebrated with some fireworks; Right: C. Biggio drives in two runs in the eighth inning.

The Dodgers avoided elimination in Game 6 of the NLCS against the Rockies with a remarkable performance in the eighth inning. Although the Californians had been down by six runs in the top of the fourth, they did not give up and eventually rallied for the win, 12-7. "This team has got a lot of heart", Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said at the press conference. "And we will fight until the end, especially here at Dodger Stadium."

In the beginning of the game, LA and its starting pitcher Kevin Brown got pounded by Colorado's power lineup. The Rockies scored twice in the opening inning and they repeated that feat in the third and fourth as well. However, the tide turned in the bottom of the fourth when pinch hitter Julio Franco capped an outstanding at-bat with a three-run shot off starter Curt Schilling, cutting the visiting team's lead to just two runs. Greg Myers' solo shot in the sixth brought the home team within a single run, but Pedro Feliz also went yard in the seventh to restore the Rockies' two-run lead.

Sloppy defensive work by Colorado helped LA to put on a big show in the eighth inning. Two crucial errors allowed the Dodgers to score a run and load the bases with only one out. Craig Biggio then came through with a single up the middle which drove in the go-ahead run for his team. "We obviously need the pressure", Biggio said after the game. With two men on base, Barry Bonds finally connected for his second long ball of the series, thus sealing the deal on LA's fantastic comeback victory.

Boxscore: COL 7 – LAD 12

NLCS – Game 7: Rockies (6-4) @ Dodgers (6-5)

Game Over! Rocking Radke Eliminates Dodgers

game7tv2.jpg

Left: Brad Radke shut down the Dodgers and drove in three runs; Right: Frustration in LA's dugout after the loss.

A stellar performance by Colorado's starting pitcher Brad Radke was too much for LA in the seventh and final game of the NLCS. Radke pitched a complete-game shutout at Dodger Stadium, allowing only three hits for the home team while striking out seven batters. In addition to his excellent pitching, the 33-year-old also shined at the plate by clearing the bases with a double in the second inning. "He completely owned us today", Dodgers manager Jim Tracy commented on Radke.

Left-hander Kenny Rogers started on the mound for the Dodgers, but he did not have his best day as the Rockies got to him early in the game. After Radke had opened the scoring, Pedro Feliz added to the lead with a sacrifice fly. One inning later, Henry Blanco homered off Rogers, making it 6-0 for the visitors. The two-run shot was the catcher's third long ball of the series. Just like the day before, LA faced a crushing six-run deficit, but this time the Golden Boys were unable to strike back.

Even though the Dodgers managed to keep the opposing bats quiet over the remaining six innings of the game, their offense could not get anything going. "Miracles don't happen all the time", outfielder Larry Walker - LA's hero of the NLDS against Washington - told reporters afterwards. After Radke had retired the last batter of the night, he was mobbed by his teammates as the Rockies celebrated their ticket to the World Series. Far away from the party, the Dodgers silently left the field, finishing a great year empty-handed.

Boxscore: COL 6 – LAD 0

I have to lead a standing ovation for a dynasty well played. BRAVO...BRAVO!

I know you aren't planning on playing another season, but will we be getting an update on who won "the series" and what happened in the off season.

Again, job well done!

That is definitely a tough loss to swallow. This has been a great dynasty. You stuck with something and saw it through till the end. Great job on this dynasty man. Awaiting your next installment. Nice job once again. Take care.

PS: I am sure somewhere out there sfgiantsflgators is jumping up and down like a man possessed.

I have to lead a standing ovation for a dynasty well played. BRAVO...BRAVO!

I know you aren't planning on playing another season, but will we be getting an update on who won "the series" and what happened in the off season.

Again, job well done!

Thank you. I'm gonna post short updates on the World Series, as well as a list of all the retirements after the season.

Ouch. Your guys did know it was a game 7 right? :sad:

Apparently not. ;-) It was one of those games where absolutely nothing goes right. I couldn't hit Radke, and my pitching was far from perfect. Maybe I should've started Clemens…

What are your plans with this dynasty now? A lot of your players are probably going to retire, right?

This dynasty is officially over now. I'm not gonna play another season, but I will check to see which players retire in the offseason.

That is definitely a tough loss to swallow. This has been a great dynasty. You stuck with something and saw it through till the end. Great job on this dynasty man. Awaiting your next installment. Nice job once again. Take care.

PS: I am sure somewhere out there sfgiantsflgators is jumping up and down like a man possessed.

Thanks. My next dynasty will have to wait for a while, though, as I'm going to start a trip around the world in May.

PS: Yeah, I assume sfgiantsflgators is pretty happy right now. I would've loved to show him the World Series trophy in the hands of the Dodgers, but it wasn't supposed to be. ;-)

PS: Yeah, I assume sfgiantsflgators is pretty happy right now. I would've loved to show him the World Series trophy in the hands of the Dodgers, but it wasn't supposed to be. ;-)

Can't say I'm disappointed the Bums lost :D

...but I am disappointed that your dynasty is over. Huge props on this man - very good job on sticking with it and keeping it interesting. Can't wait for your next one! :wtg:

Enjoy your trip in May - I've always wanted to do something like that. Have fun!

Archived