Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

Hi everyone!

I'm about to start a new Dynasty (fantasy draft) with the L.A. Dodgers. Its title is "Golden Boys" because my team will only include veteran players. In fact, the average age on my team is 39.8 years, with Julio Franco (47) being the oldest player and Jose Vizcaino (37) being the team's "Rookie".

I think it will be a ton of fun finding out how these "Old-Stars" will do against all the young guns in the league. Many of the guys on my team are players I've always wanted to play with (esp. Bonds and Clemens), but never signed or traded for because they were simply too old. Well, now is the time!

Ladies and gentlemen, here's my team:

Pitching Rotation:

pitchingot6.jpg

Batting Order:

battingee4.jpg

The Golden Boys were settled in L.A. because what better place for such a team than the Golden State, right?! Ok, maybe Florida would have been a nice place for them as well, but whatever…

Stay tuned for more!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's very likely to happen. Although the game mode is called "Dynasty", I don't think I'll play more than one season. And that's the interesting thing: I can't plan on winning the World Series next year because there won't be a team next year!

Talking about pressure... :wink:

Nope, I didn't. The minor system doesn't interest me at all. I just made sure that also some really old backup guys are in my minors because there will be lots of injuries on the MLB level. So in case a player hits the DL, I'm able to call up another veteran from AAA and keep my team the oldest ever to play in the Majors.

It isn't that realistic, IMO, but whatever.

A fantasy draft is hardly ever about realism, but about putting together an exciting team.

Consider it the classic movie plot, in which a bunch of washed up ballplayers gets hired by a loser team and finally comes off winning.

Game 1: Dodgers (0-0) @ Giants (0-0)

Clemens Rockets Dodgers To Win In Season Opener

la1os8.jpg

Left: Ace Roger Clemens only allowed a single run; Right: Outfielder Larry Walker connects for a solo home run.

For the first game of the 2005 season, Roger Clemens took the mound for the Dodgers at AT&T Park, while the Giants relied on lefty Tom Glavine. LA lost no time and opened the scoring in the first inning on a double by Larry Walker that scored Kenny Lofton from second base. "The Rocket" was able to keep SF's bats quiet until the fourth inning, when Craig Counsell's single brought home Brad Wilkerson to tie the game.

The Dodgers replied quickly with a solo shot by Walker. "It's always great to start the new season with a good performance in the first game", the rightfielder commented after the game. Kenny Lofton's RBI in the sixth gave LA a cozy two-run advantage. Clemens left the game in the eighth, handing the ball over to setup man Tom "Flash" Gordon. Despite allowing two runners to get on base, Gordon managed to retire the side with no damage done.

The stage was set for LA's closer Trevor Hoffman, who only needed five pitches to record his first save of the year. "We are very likely the most experienced team ever to play this sport. And in baseball, experience pays off", the future Hall of Famer stated during the post-game press conference.

Boxscore: LAD 3 - SF 1

Geolink and Dom, check your PMs for the rosters.

Also, what datafile are you using?

My own, which is primarily based on those of kumala and/or roddata. I created it a long time ago, so I can't really remember what went into it in detail.

what uniforms are you using?

AND

what graphics card do you have?

Uniforms: Umachines

Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (64 MB laptop card; certainly not the best in the world, but I can play the game fine at 800x600 resolution)

Game 2: Dodgers (1-0) @ Giants (0-1)

Giants Lose Pettitte In Costly Win Over Dodgers

la2vl3.jpg

Left: Starting pitcher Andy Pettitte snares a line drive; Right: RF Miguel Cabrera hit a home run and a triple.

The second game between the Dodgers and the Giants featured two veterans in the game of baseball. LA's Greg Maddux competed with SF's Andy Pettitte, but neither hurler had his best day. After Kenny Lofton had put the Dodgers on the board in the third inning, the Giants replied with a two-run shot by outfielder Miguel Cabrera. In the sixth, Vinny Castilla tied the game with an RBI single, only to see Nick Swisher add a run for the home team in the bottom of the inning by bringing home Cabrera with a sacrifice fly to center field.

After throwing one pitch in the seventh inning, Pettitte had to leave the game with a torn rotator cuff. The Giants announced he would be out for more than two months. Ricardo Rodriguez took over for the starter, but immediately gave up a game-tying home run to LA's shortstop Omar Vizquel. However, the game was not tied for long, as Ryan Klesko, who came into the game as a pinch hitter for Rodriguez, hit a long ball to give SF the lead once again.

And this time the Giants hung on to their slim lead. Closer Jay Powell recorded the save, much to the delight for the fans at AT&T Park. While Frisco was celebrating in the clubhouse, the Dodgers searched for answers for the defeat. "We clearly had our chances to win this game, but we were not clever enough in the end", second baseman Craig Biggio said.

Boxscore: LAD 3 - SF 4

Game 3: Dodgers (1-1) @ Giants (1-1)

Giant Win For San Francisco In Slugfest Marathon

la3js4.jpg

Left: LA’s catcher Greg Myers had a two-homer night; Right: 3B Edgardo Alfonzo slides safely into home plate.

When Kenny Rogers and Jason Marquis started game three between the Dodgers and the Giants, nobody at AT&T Park would have expected to see a total of 14 (!) pitchers before the game was finally over. Despite a lot of help from LA's offensive department, both Rogers and the entire bullpen could not record the win. Miguel Cabrera's solo home run off Trevor Hoffman with one out in the bottom of the thirteenth inning won the game for SF.

Barry Bonds had his first big night for his new team, going 3-for-6 with his first long ball of the year and driving in two runs. Julio Franco also homered, but the real star for the Dodgers was catcher Greg Myers, who went deep twice. "I was sorta lucky, as my second homer hit the foul pole, but I think my batting performance tonight speaks for itself", Myers was all smiles after the game.

When asked what to do if he were given the opportunity to trade his two solo shots for an LA win, Myers did not have to think long. "Of course I would. I'm happy for my big night, but that doesn't really matter as long as the team isn't winning." The Dodgers are now heading to Arizona, where they will play the Diamondbacks for a three-game series.

Boxscore: LAD 5 - SF 6

Archived