Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

Game 41: Angels (18-22) @ Dodgers (21-19)

Sheffield Sinks Dodgers In Battle Over LA

la41pj5.jpg

Left: Gary Sheffield connects for a three-run homer; Right: Greg Myers opened the scoring in the second inning.

For the first six innings of the game between the Angels and the Dodgers, it was basically a duel between two of the best pitchers in baseball. LA's ace Roger Clemens took on Anaheim's Javier Vazquez, both posting a 5-1 record before the game. The home team had the better start because of Greg Myers. The catcher opened the scoring in the second inning with a solo shot, his eighth of the season. Julio Franco added another run with an RBI single in the bottom of the third.

Clemens was able to keep the visiting team's offense quiet until the fifth inning, when he faced a critical situation with runners at second and third and only one out. Gary Sheffield stepped up to the plate and made Clemens pay with a three-run home run to dead center field. "He's a dangerous hitter and I knew that", Clemens commented on Sheffield after the game. "But [Mark] Teixeira was up next, so walking him wasn't really an option."

Roberto Hernandez replaced Clemens in the eighth inning. LA's right-handed reliever had no problem retiring the side in that inning, but he struggled mightily in the ninth. After loading the base with two outs, Hernandez surrendered a bases-clearing double to Javier Valentin. In the next at-bat, Todd Walker hit a single to score Valentin from second, cementing Anaheim's lead at 7-2. The Dodgers could not respond anymore and had to accept their second straight defeat at Dodger Stadium.

Boxscore: ANA 7 – LAD 2

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 42: Angels (19-22) @ Dodgers (21-20)

Magic Maddux Shines In First Win Of The Year

la42pv7.jpg

Left: Greg Maddux finally recorded his first win of 2005; Right: LA's Craig Biggio connects for a solo home run.

In his ninth start for the Dodgers, starting pitcher Greg Maddux was finally awarded with his first win of the current season. Maddux pitched six strong innings against the Angels, allowing only a single run on seven hits while striking out five opposing batters. "I'm so glad I got this burden off my back", the 39-year-old starter admitted after the game. "Everybody was waiting for this to happen, so I've been under enormous pressure during my last appearances."

Maddux did not have the best start into the game, as he loaded the bases in the first inning with two outs. Todd Walker stepped up to the plate, but instead of getting a base hit, he grounded out to end the inning. Anaheim's starter, Horacio Ramirez, showed lacking control over his pitches in the bottom of the first, walking the first three batters he faced. LA's slugger Barry Bonds then hit a fly ball into foul territory, but it just went far enough to allow Kenny Lofton to score from third base.

Jose Valentin tied the game in the third inning with an RBI double that scored Gary Sheffield from first base. However, the visiting team did not have much time to enjoy the tie, as LA regained the lead in the very next frame on another sacrifice fly by Bonds. Craig Biggio homered in the fourth to give the home team a cozy two-run lead. Maddux, Tom Gordon, and Trevor Hoffman shut down the opposing offense after that, sealing the deal for LA's 3-1 triumph over the Angels.

Boxscore: ANA 1 – LAD 3

Game 43: Angels (19-23) @ Dodgers (22-20)

Dreamy Dodgers Fall Short In LA Series Finale

la43vl7.jpg

Left: 2B Craig Biggio goes deep in the third inning; Right: LF Cliff Floyd drives in the go-ahead run for Anaheim.

Due to not enough offensive production, the Dodgers lost the final game of the three-game series against their local rivals from Anaheim, 1-3. Starting pitcher Kenny Rogers did not have his best outing for LA, allowing all of Anaheim's runs during 7 2/3 innings on the mound. "Today wasn't really my game", the southpaw stated at the press conference. "I had some trouble locating my fastball, which resulted in some pretty easy base hits."

The Angels scored early on Mark Teixeira's RBI single in the first inning. Leadoff hitter Endy Chavez had opened the game with his eighth hit in three games at Dodger Stadium. The speedy outfielder scored easily on Teixeira's hit, putting the pressure on the home team's offense. Craig Biggio continued his current hot streak with the game-tying home run in the third inning, but LA's bats went completely cold after that.

Anaheim's Brett Tomko did not allow much and the Dodgers just could not take advantage of the few scoring opportunities they were given. "Only six runs scored in three games is definitely a problem", GM Jim Tracy said after the game. "We're patient at the plate, but as soon as we got runners on base, that patience is gone. We gotta work on that." After one day of rest, the Dodgers will travel to San Francisco where they will take on the Giants in a three-game series.

Boxscore: ANA 3 – LAD 1

Game 44: Dodgers (22-21) @ Giants (18-25)

Dodgers Enjoy Slugging Day At The Bay

la44vm9.jpg

Left: Larry Walker broke out of his slump with a three-run blast; Right: Steve Sparks earned his first win for LA.

The Dodgers were riding a rollercoaster of emotions in the opener of a three-game series against the Giants. At beautiful AT&T Park, the visiting team grabbed an early lead on Omar Vizquel's two-run blast in the first inning. The ball traveled an estimated 480 (!) feet before landing in the cove. A bad defensive play by outfielder Larry Walker paved the way for San Francisco's first run of the game. In the bottom of the first, Walker mishandled the ball, giving the Giants runners at second and third base. Brad Wilkerson then scored on Nomar Garciaparra's ground ball.

LA extended its lead in the third inning when Julio Franco connected for a three-run home run. Starting pitcher Kevin Brown got into trouble in the fourth, allowing four runs to score. With the game tied at 5-5, Brown was replaced by long reliever Steve Sparks, who made his first appearance out of the bullpen. "Kevin [brown] just didn't have it today, so I decided to give Steve [sparks] a chance", LA's manager Jim Tracy said afterwards.

Sparks did pretty well for the Dodgers, although, once more, he could not manage to record a single strikeout. His offense helped him though, especially Walker in the sixth inning with LA's second three-run shot of the game. The right fielder had been 0-for-3 before taking SF's Ricardo Rodriguez deep. "I've had some problems lately, but I think I broke out of my slump with this homer", Walker told reporters after the game. The Dodgers held on to their lead, defeating the Giants with a final score of 12-8.

Boxscore: LAD 12 – SF 8

Game 45: Dodgers (23-21) @ Giants (18-26)

Energetic Eric Makes Old Dodgers Feel Young

la45wk2.jpg

Left: Eric Young was 2-for-4 with one homer on the night; Right: LA's Trevor Hoffman celebrates his 11th save.

Another outstanding performance by long relief pitcher Mark Guthrie secured the Dodgers their second straight win over the Giants. He came into the game in the sixth inning, replacing LA's starter Shane Reynolds. Guthrie allowed only one hit over the next three innings while striking out three batters. "I've never felt so strong before", the southpaw proclaimed after the game. "All my stuff is working for me at the moment." With the latest win, Guthrie improved to 4-0 and lowered his ERA to a microscopic 0.89.

At the beginning of the game, San Francisco had taken an early lead on Craig Biggio's costly error. LA's infielder could not handle a throw by Larry Walker, allowing Brad Wilkerson to score from second base. Nomar Garciaparra added another run for the home team by hitting an RBI single in the third. However, the Dodgers quickly answered in the fourth with two long balls by Craig Biggio and Eric Young. Young's two-run shot, his first of the year, gave the visitors the lead for the first time on the night.

Miguel Cabrera also went yard in the fifth inning to tie the game. Led by Guthrie, the Dodgers struck again in the seventh. Vinny Castilla's single drove in Walker from second base, but Barry Bonds was thrown out at home plate. Anyway, one run scored and LA managed to hold on to the slim lead until the end. Closer Trevor Hoffman came to the mound in the ninth and earned his eleventh save of the year.

Boxscore: LAD 4 – SF 3

Game 46: Dodgers (24-21) @ Giants (18-27)

Giant Sweep for LA After Unbelievable Rally

la46rn5.jpg

Left: M. Ellis rounds the bases after his three-run shot; Right: O. Vizquel's home run drove in the go-ahead run.

LA completed a sweep over San Francisco by winning the final game of a three-game series in incredible fashion. A huge ninth inning, in which the Dodgers scored a total of six runs on four long balls, lifted them over the Giants, 9-5. "I've seen a lot of crazy games during my long career, but this one was special", a stunned Barry Bonds said at the press conference. "It ain't over 'til it's over", Larry Walker summarized an unforgettable night in San Francisco.

The game started out as a pitchers' duel between veterans Roger Clemens and Tom Glavine. LA opened the scoring in the fourth inning on Vinny Castilla's sacrifice fly. Castilla added to the Dodgers lead in the seventh by hitting his fourth home run of the year. Later that inning, Kenny Lofton's double drove in Santiago from second base for LA's 3-0 lead. Clemens was then replaced by Roberto Hernandez, but GM Jim Tracy would soon regret that move.

Hernandez gave up four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, three of which came on a home run by pinch hitter Mark Ellis. The ball was then handed to lefty Buddy Groom, who surrendered another run. The Giants had taken the lead, 5-4, and the crowd at AT&T Park went insane. Closer Jay Powell took the mound in the ninth, but the Dodgers were not done yet. Four long balls and six runs later, they had turned around the game, finally beating the Giants, 9-5. Truly a night to remember!

Boxscore: LAD 9 – SF 5

Game 47: Dodgers (25-21) @ Diamondacks (27-21)

Rolling Dodgers Take Fourth Straight In Arizona

la47jk4.jpg

Left: Joey Gathright is tagged out at home plate; Right: Trevor Hoffman recorded his twelfth save of the season.

LA's starting pitcher Greg Maddux had to wait a long time for his first win as a Dodger, but he did not lose much time adding his second. Maddux led his team to a 3-2 win over the Diamondbacks at Bank One Ballpark for LA's fourth triumph in a row. The win came as quite a surprise, as the Dodgers could not get anything going over the first five innings of the game. "Our bats were completely dead during the first half of the night", Greg Myers admitted after the game.

In the second inning, Arizona's catcher Mike Redmond drove in the game's first run on a single down the middle which scored Edwin Encarnacion from second base. Apart from that, Maddux shut down the D'backs, allowing only six hits over seven innings on the mound. The Dodgers finally awoke from their sleep in the sixth, scoring two runs after getting some help from the home team. Shortstop Felipe Lopez let a ball pass at second base, allowing Kenny Lofton to score the tying run. Later that inning, Julio Franco hit a sacrifice fly, giving the visitors a 2-1 lead.

Franco's second sac fly of the night added another run for the Californians in the eighth inning. Joey Gathright answered with a solo shot off reliever Tom Gordon in the bottom of the inning, but LA's closer Trevor Hoffman showed no mercy for the D'backs in the ninth. Despite letting Adrian Gonzalez get on base to open the inning, the future Hall of Famer retired the side easily, earning his twelfth save of 2005.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – ARI 2

Game 48: Dodgers (26-21) @ Diamondacks (27-22)

Bombastic Barry Can't Avoid Walk-Off Defeat

la48yl8.jpg

Left: Barry Bonds went deep twice against the D'backs; Right: Speedy Luis Castillo scores the game-winning run.

Two home runs by Barry Bonds, the slugger's 13th and 14th of the year, were not enough for the Dodgers against the D'backs. Despite grabbing an early 4-1 lead after three innings, LA could not hold down the home team, which rallied in the seventh inning to take back the lead on Adrian Gonzalez's three-run shot. "I don't know why that is, but it seems my team's always getting into trouble in the seventh", a clueless GM Jim Tracy told the press after the game.

Coming into the ninth inning, the Dodgers were trailing by two runs as Arizona's closer Troy Percival took the mound at Bank One Ballpark. However, Bonds was not finished yet. LA's big bat, who finished 3-for-5 with five RBIs on the night, connected for a two-run homer, thus tying the game at 7-7. "Yeah, I had a great night, but I can't win games all by myself", Bonds stated later.

LA's relief pitcher Roberto Hernandez came into the game in the ninth inning for lefty Buddy Groom. Luis Castillo started the inning with a single, followed by stealing second base. With no outs, Castillo was in scoring position and Vernon Wells stepped up to the plate. Wells hit a line drive down the left field line, allowing Castillo to easily score the game-winning run. "Well, you can't win them all", southpaw Kenny Rogers commented his team's first loss after four straight wins.

(Once again, I forgot to extract the boxscore after the game. So, here's the linescore:)

linescoretf6.jpg

Game 49: Dodgers (26-22) @ Diamondacks (28-22)

History Repeating In Rubber Match At Phoenix

la49un6.jpg

Left: Kevin Brown only allowed one run over six innings; Right: Pinch hitter Fred McGriff delivered in the eighth.

Two days after beating the D'backs 3-2 at Bank One Ballpark, the Dodgers repeated that triumph not only with the same final score, but also with a very similar order of events. In both games, LA entered the eighth inning with a 2-1 lead, both teams scored a run in the inning, and in both cases, Arizona's Brad Hawpe was the batter recording the final out with the tying run on second base. "It felt really weird standing on the mound, facing a situation I had already been in just a couple of days ago", LA's closer Trevor Hoffman admitted after the game.

The D'backs had started the third and final duel of the three-game series by taking the lead in the bottom of the first inning. Joey Gathright tripled on the second pitch thrown by LA's starter Kevin Brown, and his teammate Vernon Wells singled him in. The visitors from California quickly answered by tying the game in the next frame on Vinny Castilla's RBI single which brought home Barry Bonds from second base. Jeff Conine's RBI double in the fifth put the Dodgers on top, 2-1. They also profited from Arizona’s starter Odalis Perez, who walked a total of nine batters (!) on a career-high 138 pitches.

In the eighth, Fred McGriff added to LA's lead with a two-out RBI single, but the D'backs struck back on Felipe Lopez's double that scored Wells from second base. Hoffman, though, retired the side in the ninth, earning himself another save and putting his team back on the winning track. "We're in pretty good shape right now, both mentally and physically", he said later that night. The Dodgers are now heading head back to LA, where they will host a three-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – ARI 2

Game 50: Cubs (27-22) @ Dodgers (27-22)

Shane Shines For LA As Reynolds Crushes Cubbies

la50ma7.jpg

Left: LF Barry Bonds hits his 15th home run of the year; Right: SP Shane Reynolds earned his first win in 2005.

Shane Reynolds recorded his first win for LA with an impressive performance against the Cubs at Dodger Stadium. Reynolds went five outstanding innings, fanning four opposing batters and only allowing a single hit for the visitors. "Well, I was the only starting pitcher on my team without a win this season, so I'm glad I finally got one", the 37-year-old told the press after the game. "And it also gives me a lot of confidence for my next appearances."

The Dodgers had a perfect start into the game, taking a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the opening inning. Kenny Lofton had started the afternoon with a single off Chicago's Roy Oswalt, and Omar Vizquel drove him home with a double. Two at-bats later, LA's slugger Barry Bonds connected for a monstrous two-run blast, his 15th of the season. "Taking an early lead is always a good thing, as it takes so much pressure off your back", Bonds commented after the game.

Cubs fans did not see much of their team's offense until the seventh inning. Steve Sparks had come into the game in the sixth, replacing a superb Reynolds, but once again he could not convince his critics. Sparks allowed two runs for Chicago in the seventh, cutting LA's lead to a single run. Luckily for the home team, setup man Tom Gordon and closer Trevor Hoffman shut down the Cubs over the final two innings of the game, thus sealing the deal on the Dodgers' 3-2 win.

Boxscore: CHC 2 – LAD 3

Hallo!

Hast du Dir nicht mal überlegt in eine 4er-Rotation zu wechseln? Deine starting pitcher haben am Ende so zwischen 70 und 85 pitches und sind damit so gut wie nie am Ende ihrer Leistungsfähigkeit angelangt.

Oder denkst du dir "Die sind ja schon älter...die brauchen ihre 4 Tage Pause..." :)

LG

b@st1

Translation:

Hello!

Habe you been thinking on going on a 4-Men rotation ? I mean every game your pitchcount with your starter is betweewn 70 and 85 pitches: That is nothing...you can go with every guy on 3 days rest.

Greetings grom germany

b@St1

Well, I've got five starters, so why not use all of them? ;-)

Seriously though, I might consider trying the 4-man rotation, but not until the final stages of the season. If I make it to the playoffs, there's good chance I'll only play with Clemens, Maddux, Rogers, and Brown, and skip the fifth starter. But as for now, I think it's way too early for that.

Besides, I don't want to rush these old guys because they might get grumpy. :club:

Game 51: Cubs (27-23) @ Dodgers (28-22)

Golden Boys Beaten By Chicago's Veterans

la51or9.jpg

Left: Chicago's Woody Williams had a great night; Right: Tino Martinez rounds the bases after his two-run shot.

LA may have got some really, really old players, but Chicago has got some experienced veterans in the game of baseball as well. The Cubs' starting pitcher Woody Williams (39), infielder Tino Martinez (38), and outfielder Sammy Sosa (37) were all the visitors from the Windy City needed for a 5-2 win over the Dodgers. While Williams was solid over seven innings, only allowing two runs on eight hits, Martinez and Sosa each went deep in the third inning.

The Cubs grabbed the lead early in the game on Martinez's base hit in the first inning which scored Alexis Rios from second base. In the bottom of the second, the home team struck back by scoring two runs on Greg Myers' and Craig Biggio's RBI singles. However, the crowd at Dodger Stadium did not have much time to enjoy the lead as starter Roger Clemens was rattled in the third. The Rocket gave up three runs on only nine pitches. "A game to forget", an angry Clemens commented later.

After an exciting start into the game, both teams went pretty quiet after three innings. Chicago's catcher Joe Mauer added to the lead with another RBI single in the sixth, but there was not much going on apart from that. LA missed out on a game-tying opportunity in the seventh, when Barry Bonds flied out with two men on base. "For a moment, I thought it might've been enough, but Sosa made a nice catch at the wall", the slugger said. "Well, tomorrow's another chance for us to shine."

Boxscore: CHC 5 – LAD 2

Game 52: Cubs (28-23) @ Dodgers (28-23)

Frustrating Loss For LA In 16-Inning Marathon

la52rg6.jpg

Left: Z. Greinke struck out nine and walked ten batters; Right: L. Walker dives, but can't come up with the catch.

In their longest game of the year so far, the Dodgers were beaten by the Cubs 6-9 in a seemingly never-ending 16-inning affair. Relief pitcher Steve Sparks gave up three runs in the final inning, despite pitching his best game of the season. He struck out four batters over as many innings, but he could not prevent Chicago from scoring in the end. After six innings, the Cubs had taken a 6-4 lead and they seemed determined to hold on to that. However, the game was just about to start, as both fans and players would soon find out.

LA's catcher Greg Myers tied the game in the seventh inning by taking Chicago's starter Zack Greinke deep for a two-run shot. Greinke, who had thrown over 140 pitches up to that point, was then replaced by Antonio Alfonseca. With two singles, a double, and a home run, second baseman Rickie Weeks was the dominant player of the game. He drove in four runs for the Cubs, three of which came on his inside-the-park home run in the third. Outfielder Larry Walker could not make the diving catch, allowing Weeks to hustle around the bases and score.

Between the eighth and the 15th inning, neither team was able to score, although they both had plenty of scoring opportunities. The Dodgers struggled offensively, especially Barry Bonds. The slugger was 0-for-8 with two strikeouts on the night and he also was not able to drive in the winning run on three different situations. "He clearly needs a brake", GM Jim Tracy said at the press conference. Craig Biggio also showed signs of fatigue after the epic battle. "I'm too old for this. I really am…"

Boxscore: CHC 9 – LAD 6

Game 53: Brewers (26-26) @ Dodgers (28-24)

Rogers Tops Wells In Senior Southpaw Showdown

la53ni8.jpg

Left: LA's Kenny Rogers recorded his fourth win of 2005; Right: Julio Franco connects for a three-run home run.

The first game of a three-game series between the Dodger and the Brewers boiled down to a classic pitchers' duel, starring LA's Kenny Rogers and Milwaukee's David Wells. Despite their age, both left-handers displayed enormous pitching skills, but in the end it was Rogers who earned himself another win. LA's starter pitched seven strong innings, during which he only had to give up a single run on David Wright's home run in the fourth. "I felt very strong today", Rogers explained afterwards.

LA had a perfect start into the game, scoring four runs over the first three innings. Three of them came on Julio Franco's long ball in the third, his twelfth big fly of the year. "I just love batting against left-handed pitchers", the first baseman laughed after the game. "As soon as they come inside on me, I make them pay." Catcher Benito Santiago and pinch hitter Fred McGriff each drove in a run in the eighth, giving the home team a comfortable five-run lead before the final inning.

In the ninth inning, closer Trevor Hoffman took the mound for the Dodgers. He surrendered a solo shot to Matt LeCroy, followed by Gary Matthew Jr.'s double down the left field line. After that, Hoffman got Christian Guzman and Casey Blake to fly out for LA's well-deserved 6-2 win. "This definitely wasn't our most important game of the year, but it might have been a crucial one nonetheless", GM Jim Tracy stated at the press conference. "We got nine home games left before going on a long road trip, so we better make the most of it."

Boxscore: MIL 2 – LAD 6

Game 54: Brewers (26-27) @ Dodgers (29-24)

Dashing Dodgers Blank Brittle Brew Crew

la54dk4.jpg

Left: C Greg Myers opened the scoring in the fifth inning; Right: The home team celebrates at Dodger Stadium.

The Dodgers had absolutely no problems with the Brewers, as LA shut down the visiting team at Dodger Stadium, 2-0. Starting pitcher Kevin Brown went six innings, striking out as many batters while walking four. His opponent, Milwaukee's Matt Morris, recorded seven strikeouts, but he also had to give up two runs on nine hits. "I'm very happy with the way I've been doing today", Brown said later. With four wins and only one loss, the right-hander is the best starter on his team at the moment.

LA's catcher Greg Myers put his team on the board in the fifth inning by hitting a single off Morris to drive in Vinny Castilla from second base. Later in the frame, shortstop Omar Vizquel hit another single, allowing Myers to reach home plate safely. Although the Dodgers had a total of 14 men on base during the game, these two runs were the Californians would get. "We need to be more effective with runners on base", GM Jim Tracy summarized his team's performance.

Relief pitchers Buddy Groom and Roberto Hernandez led their team into the ninth inning, then making room for Trevor Hoffman. Matt LeCroy started the inning with a double off Hoffman, but LA's closer did not allow anything more for the Brewers after that. He retired the following three batters, earning his 15th save of the season. "I've been a bit shaky on the mound lately", Hoffman admitted after the game. "My changeup isn't really working right now, so I got to rely even more on the fastball and the curveball."

Boxscore: MIL 0 – LAD 2

Game 55: Brewers (26-28) @ Dodgers (30-24)

Brewers Cruise To Easy Win At Dodger Stadium

la55nw3.jpg

Left: J.D. Drew smacks a line drive out of the ballpark; Right: C Jason Kendall had a perfect night, going 4-for-4.

The Dodgers seemed pretty helpless in their latest appearance at home. Starting pitcher Shane Reynolds struggled on the mound from the beginning, giving up four runs over as many innings. The visitors from Milwaukee got a perfect start into the game by taking an early lead on J.D. Drew's two-run shot in the first inning. "That home run was totally unnecessary", LA's GM Jim Tracy said. "First base would have been open, but we pitched to Drew nonetheless."

In the bottom of the second inning, the Dodgers and their fans regained some hope when Julio Franco started the inning with a double and Greg Myers drove him in with another two-bagger. Shortstop Jose Vizcaino then tied the game on an RBI single, but he was tagged out trying to take second base. The Brew Crew quickly responded by scoring twice in the third. "We just didn't have it today", center fielder Kenny Lofton summarized the game.

The visiting team added another run in the seventh inning and one more in the ninth. Jason Kendall played a major role in Milwaukee's 6-2 win over LA. The catcher reached base in all of his four at-bats, finishing with two RBIs and a walk. Jamey Wright went six solid innings for the Brewers, allowing just two runs for the opposing side. According to Tracy, the Dodgers' performance will improve in the final game of the series. "We can play better and we will."

Boxscore: MIL 6 – LAD 2

Game 56: Brewers (27-28) @ Dodgers (30-25)

Dodgers Crush Brewers With Big Second Inning

la56fz1.jpg

Left: 3B Vinny Castilla hits a bases-loaded double; Right: SP Roger Clemens gets some company on the mound.

A huge second inning propelled the Dodgers to victory over the Brewers. LA scored once in the opening inning, followed by a season-high eight (!) runs on ten hits in the second. "It was like spring training all over again", third baseman Vinny Castilla chuckled after the game. Castilla had two hits in that inning, first a single off Milwaukee's starter Freddy Garcia, and then a two-RBI double off Jamey Wright.

Julio Franco had opened the scoring in the first inning with an RBI single that drove in Omar Vizquel from third. One inning later, a total of six Dodgers had RBI hits, starting pitcher Roger Clemens being among them. With Craig Biggio on second base, the Rocket hit a flare to right field that dropped in front of Milwaukee's right fielder J.D. Drew. Biggio scored easily and Clemens had recorded his second RBI of the season. "Striking out a batter is a good feeling, but driving in a run is even more exciting for me", LA's ace commented after the game.

After the second inning outburst, the Dodgers went pretty quiet in front of their home town fans. The Brewers managed to score six runs off Clemens, who went the entire distance for the third time this year. So, LA's lead was cut down to only three runs in the end, but Clemens' triumph had never really been in question. "When you got such a gigantic lead after two innings, it's hard to concentrate on the rest of the game", Clemens explained at the press conference. "It also makes you careless and sloppy."

Boxscore: MIL 6 – LAD 9

Game 57: Tigers (28-28) @ Dodgers (31-25)

Golden Boys Rally For Big Win Over Detroit

la57jc7.jpg

Left: Ramon Hernandez celebrates after his solo home run; Right: Jose Vizcaino empties the bases with a double.

Things did not look too good for the Dodgers and their starter Greg Maddux when the Tigers took an early lead in the opening game of a three-game series at Dodger Stadium. Pete Orr tripled in the first inning and Alex Rodriguez's sacrifice fly brought the runner home. Detroit's catcher Ramon Hernandez went deep to open the second inning, adding to the visiting team's lead. John Mabry's RBI single in the fifth made it 3-0 for the Tigers.

Maddux was then replaced after the fifth inning, having allowed three runs on twelve hits. "My arm felt a bit sore, so I couldn't throw my best pitches", the 39-year-old hurler stated after the game. The Dodgers finally awoke from their sleep in the bottom of the fifth when Barry Bonds put the home team on the board. His two-RBI single cut Detroit's lead to just a single run. In the next inning, pinch hitter Greg Myers blasted a three-run shot into the stands of Dodger Stadium, giving LA the lead, 5-3.

The Dodgers added three more runs in the seventh inning on Jose Vizcaino's double that emptied the bases. "So far, I haven't played very well for my new team", the shortstop later said. "But I'm very confident that my performances will improve over the next weeks and months." The Tigers scored again in the eighth on Rod Barajas' two-run shot, but LA's closer Trevor Hoffman had no problems recording his 16th save in the ninth.

Boxscore: DET 5 – LAD 8

Archived