Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

Game 26: Nationals (16-10) @ Dodgers (12-13)

No Clemens-cy For Roger As Nationals Slaughter LA

la26lh0.jpg

Left: Shannon Stewart connects for a three-run shot; Right: J. Edmonds went deep twice and shined defensively.

Roger Clemens' first loss of the year was a historic one, as the future Hall of Famer gave up nine runs on fifteen hits against Washington. Clemens struggled mightily in the beginning of the game, allowing the Nationals to score three runs in the first inning and two more in the third. The veteran then regained some strength by striking out five batters in a row, but suffered a major setback in the sixth inning by surrendering four more runs. Clemens refused to talk to the press after the game.

Jim Edmonds was the key player for Washington as the center fielder homered twice and played fantastic defense for his team. The audience at Dodger Stadium saw a total of eight home runs during the game, six for the Nationals and two for LA. Vinny Castilla hit his second long ball of the year, and Barry Bonds later connected for his eighth. "Washington was just too strong for us today", GM Jim Tracy tried to excuse his team's performance.

Clemens was replaced by Kent Mercker in the seventh inning, but the newly acquired relief pitcher did not shine in his first appearance for the Dodgers. Rocco Baldelli, who went 4-for-6 on the night, took Mercker deep for a two-run shot, increasing Washington's lead to 11-2. In the eighth inning, the ball was handed to Buddy Groom. He did not have much success either, as Willie Bloomquist and Cesar Izturis homered off him for the disastrous final score of 14-4.

Boxscore: WAS 14 – LAD 4

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 27: Nationals (17-10) @ Dodgers (12-14)

Best Of Baldelli Too Much For Dodgers

la27ne2.jpg

Left: G. Maddux is still waiting for his first win as a Dodger; Right: O. Vizquel draws a walk with the bases loaded.

The Dodgers and the Nationals neutralized themselves in the first four innings of the third and final game of their series at Dodger Stadium. Greg Maddux was on the mound for LA, while Washington relied on its left-hander Damian Moss. Both starters kept the game scoreless for a long time, but in the fifth inning, Moss loaded the bases with no outs. After Greg Myers struck out, Omar Vizquel was walked to open the scoring. In the next at-bat, Maddux hit a sac fly to bring home Julio Franco from third.

Washington quickly answered by scoring two runs of its own in the top of the sixth inning. After Rocco Baldelli had gotten on base and stolen second, Shannon Stewart hit an RBI single, making the game 2-1. Later that inning, Richie Sexson hit the ball deep enough to bring home Stewart from third base, tying the game at 2-2. "If we hadn't been asleep during the sixth inning, we might have won easily", an angry Barry Bonds said at the press conference.

LA was given a big chance to score in the bottom of the eighth inning, when relief pitcher Huston Street loaded the bases with two outs. However, Franco could not take advantage and struck out. The next inning, the Nationals gave the home team a lesson on how to perform in a clutch situation. Baldelli got on base with a two-out single off closer Trevor Hoffman and followed it by stealing second with his third stolen base of the night. Stewart then hit a line drive through the middle for the go-ahead run. The Dodgers could not fight back and ultimately lost the game, 2-3.

Boxscore: WAS 3 – LAD 2

Game 28: Dodgers (12-15) @ Reds (13-14)

Rogers Puts Dodgers Back On Track

la28ma1.jpg

Left: Barry Bonds and Toby Hall follow Bonds' solo dinger; Right: Southpaw Kenny Rogers dominated the Reds.

Despite LA's ups and downs over the past few weeks, the Dodgers could always rely on Kenny Rogers. The leftie propelled his team to a big 3-2 win over Cincinnati by pitching 6 2/3 strong innings. Rogers struck out six opposing batters and only allowed a single run. "Today's victory was important for me, but it was even more important for the entire team", a relaxed Rogers declared after the game.

The Dodgers scored early at the Great American Ballpark, when Barry Bonds took Cincinnati's starter Kris Benson deep in the second inning. It was Bonds' ninth home run of the year. "I have to carry my teammates with my big bat", Bonds said at the press conference. "That's my job as a slugger." The Reds tied the game in the third inning on Miguel Tejada's sacrifice fly that brought home Juan Pierre from third base.

LA regained the lead in the next frame, when catcher Greg Myers hit an RBI single to center field. Bonds, who had been on second base, was able to score easily. The Dodgers added another run in the sixth on Larry Walker's sac fly. In the bottom of the eighth, Tejada drove in Pierre with a double, but relief pitcher Buddy Groom retired the side after that. Closer Trevor Hoffman took the mound in the ninth and recorded his sixth save of the season.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – CIN 2

Game 29: Dodgers (13-15) @ Reds (13-15)

Hoffman Was Shaky, But He Didn't Fall

la29mf2.jpg

Left: LA's closer Trevor Hoffman celebrates the win; Right: Julio Franco hits a two-run shot in the fourth inning.

The LA Dodgers made it two in a row with a hard-fought 4-3 win over Cincinnati at the Great American Ballpark. Kevin Brown started the game for the guests and he did a good job in holding down the Reds' offense. The Dodgers took the first lead of the game in the fourth inning, when first baseman Julio Franco took starter Rodrigo Lopez deep with a two-run blast. Franco's ninth long ball of the year tied him with outfielder Barry Bonds.

Cincinnati responded by scoring two runs of its own in the bottom of the inning, but only with a lot of help from LA's defense. With the bases loaded, shortstop Omar Vizquel could not catch an easy throw from Craig Biggio at second base, allowing Todd Helton and Hank Blalock to cross home plate. "I completely missed the ball on that play", Vizquel later took the blame for the costly error. "Luckily for me, we were able to win the game anyway."

Vizquel made up for the damage by hitting a double in the fifth inning, bringing home Craig Biggio from second base. Larry Walker added another run in the ninth with a sacrifice fly to give LA a two-run lead before the last frame. Closer Trevor Hoffman struggled from the start, giving up back-to-back singles by pinch hitters Alex Sanchez and Warren Morris. Hoffman finally managed to get the save, despite allowing one run to score on Biggio's error. "All's well that ends well, Hoffman smiled after the game.

Boxscore: LAD 4 – CIN 3

Game 30: Dodgers (14-15) @ Reds (13-16)

Reds Avoid Sweep Behind Brilliant Brazelton

la30px0.jpg

Left: Kaz Matsui beats the throw to home plate; Right: Starter Dewon Brazelton earned his fourth win of the year.

In the final game of a three-game series at Cincinnati, the Dodgers were close to their first sweep of the current season, but the Reds celebrated in the end. Dewon Brazelton, who started on the mound for the home team, did not allow much for the Californians. He pitched seven strong innings, in which he only gave up a single run on three hits. "There's not much you can do as a hitter, when a pitcher throws stuff like Brazelton did today", outfielder Larry Walker commented after the game.

The Reds were the first team to get on the board, as Toby Hall scored easily on Kazuo Matsui's RBI triple in the second inning. LA's starting pitcher Shane Reynolds performed well on the mound, striking out six batters over five innings. The Dodgers tied the game in the fifth, when Craig Biggio doubled home Vinny Castilla from second base. Biggio's ninth RBI of the season was his first batting eighth. "I don't have a problem with that", Biggio replied when asked about the line-up change.

Cincinnati quickly answered by regaining the lead again in the bottom of the fifth inning. After stealing second base with one out, Matsui was driven in on Juan Pierre's single down the middle. Kenny Lofton's throw to the plate was on target, but came too late to stop Matsui from scoring the go-ahead run. In the top of the ninth inning, the Dodgers had runners at the corners with two outs. Biggio, however, could not get the job done and struck out.

Boxscore: LAD 1 – CIN 2

Game 31: Dodgers (14-16) @ Cardinals (15-15)

3-2-1…Liftoff! Rocket Shuts Down Cards

la31yd6.jpg

Left: Roger Clemens celebrates the complete game shutout; Right: Julio Franco went 3-for-4 at Busch Stadium.

Roger Clemens was the dominating force for the Dodgers in the first game of a four-game series against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium. "The Rocket", who had given up nine runs on fifteen hits in his last start, pitched a gem for LA's first complete game shutout of the year. Although Clemens only recorded three strikeouts, he was in total control of St. Louis' offense. "Sure, it would've been nice to get more K's, but I'm very happy with the result nonetheless", Clemens said after the game.

The Cardinals ended up with only four base hits on the night, whereas the Dodgers were a lot more productive, scoring three runs on ten hits. Julio Franco opened the scoring in the fifth inning with a two-run home run to the left side. "I was afraid the ball would go foul, but it just stayed fair", the first baseman commented on his tenth long ball of the season. Once more, Franco was the outstanding player in LA's offense, going 3-for-4 on the night.

In the top of the ninth inning, Craig Biggio went deep for the second time in 2005, giving his team a comfortable 3-0 lead before heading to the bottom of the inning. Clemens stayed on the mound, even though closer Trevor Hoffman would have been ready to go. "Roger had a shot at a complete game shutout, so I let him stay in the game and he proved me right", GM Jim Tracy justified his decision at the press conference.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – STL 0

That's not quite right, Emil, as I do speak German. In fact, it's my mother tongue. You see, I'm from Austria (not Australia!!!) or Østerrike, as you Norwegians would say. So, it's safe to say that I'm pretty fluent in German. ;-)

Haha..I thought you where from Australia. It's funny, somehow I always miss reads that ;)

Game 32: Dodgers (15-16) @ Cardinals (15-16)

Comeback Cardinals Prevail In Extra Innings

la32na6.jpg

Left: Juan Encarnacion scores the game-winning run; Right: Outfielder Larry Walker goes yard in the first inning.

LA's starting pitcher Greg Maddux is still waiting for his first win of the year, as the Dodgers could not take advantage of an early lead against St. Louis and ultimately lost the game 2-3 in eleven innings. Maddux, who pitched seven innings and lowered his ERA to 3.16, was given some run support on Larry Walker's two-run home run in the first inning. "You can't get a much better start than that", Maddux said after the game.

However, the good start did not last too long because in the third and fifth inning, Maddux gave up solo shots to Luis Matos and Juan Encarnacion to tie the game. In the top of the eighth, the starter was finally replaced by Tom Gordon. "Greg was at the end of his rope", GM Jim Tracy later stated. "I know he wanted to stay in the game and get his first win, but as the manager, I have to do what's best for the team, not for a single player."

After nine innings, the game was still tied at 2-2. In the bottom of the eleventh, left-handed reliever Kent Mercker took the mound for LA. Encarnacion started the inning with a single, and Matos capped his 3-for-4 performance with another single. With runners on the corners, Mercker got Adrian Beltre to ground out. Then, Milton Bradley was walked to fill the bases, giving Ray Durham the chance to win the game with a base hit. Durham had been 0-for-4 on the night, but he came through in that situation and the Cardinals won.

Boxscore: LAD 2 – STL 3

Game 33: Dodgers (15-17) @ Cardinals (16-16)

Dreadful Dodgers Avoid Heartbreak Loss

la33yo1.jpg

Left: The LA Dodgers celebrate after their win; Right: Jeff Conine scores the go-ahead run in the eleventh inning.

Kenny Rogers had been very solid so far this year for the Dodgers, but in the latest game against St. Louis, the southpaw completely fell apart in the fourth inning. Despite coming into the inning with a six-run lead, Rogers gave up seven runs, thus handing the lead over to the home team. "It was almost surreal", a baffled Rogers said after the game. "The Cardinals were hitting everything and I just couldn't get out of the frame."

Prior to this incident, LA had struck early by scoring four runs in the first inning and two more in the second. "I guess my team started taking things too easy after that", LA's GM Jim Tracy explained at the press conference. The Dodgers did not give up though, scoring the game-tying run in the fifth inning. Kenny Lofton's RBI double in the sixth even brought the lead back to the Californians. Lofton was 4-for-6 on the night, increasing his batting average to a phenomenal .348.

Trevor Hoffman came into the game in the ninth inning, but the closer could not get the job done. St. Louis' Ray Durham homered off Hoffman to tie the game and force extra innings, for the second straight time. Relief pitcher Mike Jackson replaced Hoffman in the tenth inning and finally brought some consistency to the mound. In the eleventh, Fred McGriff came through with a single that scored Jeff Conine from second base. Vinny Castilla then added another run with an RBI single for LA's 10-8 win.

Boxscore: LAD 10 – STL 8

Game 34: Dodgers (16-17) @ Cardinals (16-17)

Thar He Blows! Closer Hoffman Fails Again

la34qa2.jpg

Left: C. Biggio trots around the bases after his three-run shot; Right: J. Encarnacion had the game-winning hit.

Another poor performance by closer Trevor Hoffman cost the Dodgers their second defeat in four games at Busch Stadium. One day after not having been able to seal the game for his team, Hoffman struggled again in the ninth inning. With the score being 5-4 for LA, Encarnacion hit a two-out single down the middle with runners on second and third base. Both Cardinals scored and St. Louis celebrated their last-minute win.

"I'll definitely talk to him about this", GM Jim Tracy replied when asked about the consequences for Hoffman. "The entire team relies on its closer, so appearances like the one we saw today have got to stop." Although the Dodgers had a good start into the game, their performance declined towards the end. Craig Biggio opened the scoring with a three-run blast in the second inning. The Cardinals later tied the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the sixth on Brian Schneider's RBI single.

Vinny Castilla's two-out home run, his third of the season, put the Dodgers ahead again in the eighth inning. However, Encarnacion's game-winner gave the Californians a lot to think about. "We've had the lead in all four games here in St. Louis, but we only remained victorious two times", center fielder Kenny Lofton analyzed after the game. "We all have to start acting like the veteran players we are." Next up for the Dodgers is a three-game home series against the Atlanta Braves.

Boxscore: LAD 5 – STL 6

Game 35: Braves (17-17) @ Dodgers (16-18)

Greg Destroys Brett In Duel Of The Myers

la35ab6.jpg

Left: Greg Myers had two home runs on the night; Right: Shane Reynolds only allowed one run over four innings.

The Dodgers won the opening game of a three-game series against the Braves, thanks to catcher Greg Myers and his big bat. Myers hit two home runs and drove in all the runs in LA's 5-3 win over Atlanta. It was Myers' second multi-homer game of the year. "Well, on some days, I'm just locked in", the 39-year-old shared his secret after the game. "He's an extremely important member of our team and I'm very proud of him today", GM Jim Tracy added.

Myers' first long ball came in the second inning, with two runners on base. Given this early run support, LA's starter Shane Reynolds pitched well, despite allowing eight hits over four innings. However, Atlanta was only able to score once on Craig Monroe's RBI single in the fourth. Brett Myers, who started the game for the Braves, was replaced by reliever Jose Jimenez in the sixth, after giving up another home run to his namesake.

In the end, the Braves scored two runs off Buddy Groom in the seventh and eighth inning, thus denying Reynolds of his first win for the Dodgers. Instead, southpaw relief pitcher Mark Guthrie was awarded with his third win of the season. Trevor Hoffman took the mound in the ninth inning, one day after his blown save against the Cardinals. LA's closer showed no signs of weakness and quickly retired the side with two strikeouts on ten pitches, recording his eighth save of 2005.

Boxscore: ATL 3 – LAD 5

Game 36: Braves (17-18) @ Dodgers (17-18)

Dodgers Profit From Another Gem By Clemens

la36yu4.jpg

Left: Roger Clemens pitched his second complete game in a row; Right: Barry Bonds drives in two with a double.

LA's ace Roger Clemens pitched to perfection in his team's latest win over the Braves. Clemens went the distance and held Atlanta to a single run on four hits, while striking out seven opposing batters. It was his second complete game in a row, after pitching a shutout against the Cincinnati Reds five days ago. "Everything is working for me at the moment", the Rocket said after earning his fifth win of the year.

Clemens only mistake of the game was to pitch a fastball to the outside corner with Atlanta's Michael Young at the plate in the first inning. Young smacked a solo shot into the stands of left field, giving the Braves an early lead. The Dodgers, however, did not panic and tied the game in the bottom of the second on Benito Santiago's RBI double. Mark Mulder, who started on the mound for the visiting team, had to surrender four more runs before he was replaced by Kameron Loe in the eighth.

The Dodgers now have a team record of .500, a mark they have not reached for more than three weeks. "We're definitely on the right track", GM Jim Tracy summarized his team's latest performances. "You can really feel that all the players on our team are finally willing to give their best for the club. And that makes me very happy because that's the kinda attitude you need to win ballgames."

Boxscore: ATL 1 – LAD 5

Game 37: Braves (17-19) @ Dodgers (18-18)

Bring Out The Brooms! Dodgers Sweep Braves

la37ln6.jpg

Left: B. Bonds and J. Vizcaino almost collide; Right: Fireworks go off at Dodger Stadium after J. Conine's homer.

With an impressive 8-2 win over Atlanta, the Dodgers have recorded their first sweep of the 2005 season. Greg Maddux started on the mound for LA and held the opposing offense very quiet. The only run he had to give up came in the second inning on Lance Nix's RBI single. Apart from that, Maddux only allowed three hits over five innings, while recording three strikeouts. "It's sad that I couldn't get the win, but at least I'm satisfied with the way I'm pitching at moment", Maddux said after the game.

The Dodgers took the lead in the fourth inning, when Barry Bonds hit a single that brought home two runs. Jeff Conine added another run by taking Atlanta's starter C.C. Sabathia deep in the bottom of the sixth. In the seventh, LA took complete control of the game by scoring five runs, three of which were driven in on a bases-clearing double by Bonds. "Having five RBIs on one night is always something special", the slugger commented at the press conference.

Bonds now has 28 RBIs on the year, one more than first baseman Julio Franco, who drove in LA's last run against the Braves. Relief pitchers Kent Mercker and Roberto Hernandez finished the game for the home team, completing the three-game sweep. "I'm happy for both my team and all of our fans", a smiling GM Jim Tracy declared. "Many so-called experts have labeled us as a bunch of washed-up losers, so it's nice to see my players prove them wrong."

Boxscore: ATL 2 – LAD 8

Game 38: Marlins (9-27) @ Dodgers (19-18)

Last-Minute Dodgers Win On Tracy's Sloppy Play

la38pq9.jpg

Left: LF B. Bonds after hitting home run #11 of the year; Right: SP K. Rogers gets some company on the mound.

In a very close game against the Marlins, the Dodgers were able to walk off victorious in the bottom of the ninth inning, thanks to Omar Vizquel and some sloppy defense by the visiting team. With the bases loaded and only one out, Florida needed a ground ball to turn two and force extra innings. Their reliever, lefty Mike Remlinger, got Vizquel to hit a chopper to third base, but infielder Chad Tracy made the wrong decision on how to turn the double play.

Instead of getting the force out at home plate, Tracy stepped on third base and then tried to throw Vizquel out at first. Unfortunately for him, the throw was a bit too late and not on target as well. Vizquel was safe at first and the Dodgers had won the game 3-2. "Well, we've missed out on so many walk-off situations this year, so I think it's only fair we had some luck today", center fielder Kenny Lofton said.

Earlier in the game, the Dodgers had taken the lead in the second inning on Barry Bonds' eleventh home run of the year. Bonds also drove in LA's next run in the third to make the game 2-0 for the home team. Starting pitcher Kenny Rogers did not allow much for the Marlins, but the visitors scored two runs in the sixth on Richard Hidalgo's double, thus tying the game. However, the dramatic showdown in the final inning secured LA their fourth straight win at Dodger Stadium.

Boxscore: FLA 2 – LAD 3

Update:

SP and knuckleball specialist Steve Sparks is back from the DL. Prior to his injury, he had two losses in two starts and was absolutely atrocious. He has got an ERA of 5.00 and couldn't even record a single strikeout in these two games.

Since his replacement, Shane Reynolds (0-2, ERA 4.34), is doing pretty well right now, I've decided to let him stay in the rotation. As for Sparks, I'm gonna follow Sac51's suggestion and put him into my bullpen. Hopefully his performances will improve from now on. If not, then he's a likely candidate for a trade.

Additionally, RP Kent Mercker (1-4, ERA 6.86) was sent down to AAA in order to make room for Sparks.

Game 39: Marlins (9-28) @ Dodgers (20-18)

Lovely Lofton Lifts LA Over Floppy Florida

la39qi2.jpg

Left: Vinny Castilla gets drilled by Jon Garland; Right: Jose Guillen can not prevent Kenny Lofton from homering.

Center fielder Kenny Lofton could not have picked a better time to hit his first home run of the season than doing so in his last at-bat against the Marlins. With the score being 5-5 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Lofton hammered an inside fastball by Tomo Ohka into the right field stands for a two-run shot. In the previous at-bat, Florida's relief pitcher Mike Remlinger had drilled pinch hitter Jeff Conine to start the inning. Since both benches had been warned before, Remlinger was tossed from the game.

Ohka came to the mound and was taken deep by Lofton on his very first pitch. "It was about time I got my first long ball", Lofton said after the game. "And I'm very glad it was the game-winning hit, too." At the beginning of the game, the Marlins had taken a quick 4-1 lead after two innings. As a consequence, LA's starter, Kevin Brown, had to leave the mound and make room for long reliever Mark Guthrie. After that, the Dodgers rallied for four runs in as many innings, eventually taking the lead in the bottom of the sixth.

In the seventh inning, Paul Konerko homered for the visiting team to tie the game, but Lofton's home run put the Dodgers ahead for good in the eighth. "I'm still psyched about this game's finale", Barry Bonds told reporters at the press conference. The slugger once more carried his entire team, going 4-for-5 with three RBIs and one home run on the night. With the latest win, LA has extended its current winning streak to five games.

Boxscore: FLA 5 – LAD 7

Game 40: Marlins (9-29) @ Dodgers (21-18)

Weeping Instead Of Sweeping At Dodger Stadium

la40kj4.jpg

Left: B. Santiago rounds the bases after his three-run blast; Right: F. Guzman scores in the bottom of the twelfth.

The Dodgers fell short trying to record their second sweep in a row, as the Marlins came through in extra innings, 5-3. LA, led by its starting pitcher Shane Reynolds, had a rough start into the game, trailing by three runs after as many innings. Florida's leadoff hitter Alfonso Soriano was the dominant player for the visiting team, putting the Dodgers under constant pressure with both his bat and his speed. "Once you let him get on base, he'll make you pay", LA's GM Jim Tracy commented on Soriano after the game.

However, the Dodgers came all the way back, tying the game in the fourth inning on Benito Santiago's three-run home run. The catcher's second long ball of the year came off Noah Lowry, who had not allowed much for the home team up to that point. With the score being tied at 3-3, both teams could not produce another run until the twelfth inning, when Florida's pinch hitter Cleve Caruso hit a single down the middle that scored Freddy Guzman from second base.

Later that inning, third baseman Chad Tracy followed with another RBI single, thus expanding Florida's lead to two runs. The Dodgers had to produce a couple of runs to keep the game going, but they could not come up with anything at all. Marlins closer Tomo Ohka retired the side and recorded his first win of the season. After five wins in as many games, LA's streak has finally ended against the team with the worst record in all of baseball. Next up for the Dodgers are three interleague games at home against their local rivals from Anaheim.

Boxscore: FLA 5 – LAD 3

Archived