Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 15: Dodgers (8-6) @ Padres (4-11)

Perfect Padres Storm To Victory At Petco Park

la15ie5.jpg

Left: Vinny Castilla drives in the only run for LA; Right: Tim Wakefield and his terrible knuckleball strike again.

The Dodgers did not have much success when facing SD's Tim Wakefield the first time in 2005, and they could not get much going in their second attempt either. The knuckleball pitcher was dominant on the mound, striking out eleven opposing batters, while only allowing a single run on five hits. "On a good day, he's the toughest pitcher in the Majors to hit", outfielder Larry Walker said about Wakefield. "And today was one of those days."

Shane Reynolds, who was called up from AAA after Steve Sparks' injury, started the game for the Dodgers. He got into an early jam, when he loaded the bases on the first three at-bats of the first inning. "I had a really bad start, but after that my pitching was ok", Reynolds told the press after the game. The Padres eventually scored three runs in the first, but then remained silent for the next four innings. Vinny Castilla put LA on the board in the sixth with an RBI single, cutting SD's lead to 3-1.

The home team was too strong that night, though. With seven runs over the final three innnings of the game, the Friars got a perfect revenge for the bitter 1-10 defeat in Los Angeles four days ago. "That's how this game works", relief pitcher Mike Jackson philosophized at the press conference. "One time you're on top, scoring run after run, and the other time you're the one giving up all these runs." Next up for the Dodgers are three games against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field.

Boxscore: LAD 1 - SD 10

Game 16: Dodgers (8-7) @ Rockies (7-8)

Dodgers Fight, But Rockies Get The Happy Ending

la16ur3.jpg

Left: Roger Clemens makes a nice back-handed grab; Right: Jones slides into third after his go-ahead RBI triple.

In a battle of pitching legends, neither LA's Roger Clemens nor Colorado's Curt Shilling could get a decision. Both starters were in great shape, giving the fans at Coors Field a schoolbook example of a real pitchers' duel. The Rockies were off to a good start, when Pedro Feliz struck early in the game. His two-run shot opened the scoring, and things did not look too well for Clemens. "I've given up two home runs this season and both came in the opening inning", LA's ace reflected afterwards. "I gotta work on that."

Clemens found his back into his groove as the game progressed. He shut down the opposing offense for the next six innings, striking out a season-high six batters. Barry Bonds' long ball put the Dodgers on the board in the fourth, and Larry Walker's RBI single tied the game in the sixth. In the eighth, Tom Gordon replaced Clemens on the mound, but "Flash" did not have his best day, giving up three runs for the Rockies.

After walking Feliz, Gordon surrendered the go-ahead triple to Chipper Jones, and allowed Luis Gonzalez to go deep. "Of course I'm disappointed", Gordon told reporters. "I haven't given up a single run in nine innings prior to this game." Greg Myers hit a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth, cutting the home team's lead to two. Pinch hitter Jeff Conine got on base with a two-out double, but Eric Young grounded out for Colorado's 5-3 win.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – COL 5

Game 17: Dodgers (8-8) @ Rockies (8-8)

Colorado Wins Nailbiter As LA Fails To Score

la17zp4.jpg

Left: Starting pitcher Brad Radke shut down the Dodgers; Right: Craig Biggio's error breaks up the double play.

LA's latest performance against the Rockies can only be summarized in one word: Inability. Although their pitchers managed to hold Colorado to a single run, its offense failed to score in more than one occasion. "Today nothing went right for us", GM Jim Tracy expressed his disappointment at the post-game press conference. "I can't even remember how many runners in scoring position we had during this game."

The Dodgers had eleven RISPs, to be exact. Eleven times the Californians had a scoring opportunity and eleven times they did not take advantage of it. Colorado would have been equally inefficient, if LA's defense had not helped them. Henry Blanco scored the game's only run on an error by infielder Craig Biggio. "I think the best thing for us right now is to forget this game and move on", the second baseman commented later that day.

Starting pitcher Greg Maddux was the most unlucky person on the entire field, as he had a strong outing with four strikeouts and only five hits allowed, but still could not get his first win as a Dodger. After the game, Maddux did not hide his anger. "I'm starting to get really frustrated about the whole situation", he said. His rival on the mound, Colorado's Brad Radke, recorded seven strikeouts for his third win of the season.

Boxscore: LAD 0 – COL 1

Game 18: Dodgers (8-9) @ Rockies (9-8)

Dogged Dodgers Rally, But Can't Avoid Sweep

la18ya3.jpg

Left: Jim Thome hits an RBI double off Kenny Rogers; Right: Julio Franco trots around the bases after his homer.

When LA's starting pitcher Kenny Rogers stepped on the mound at Coors Field, his only goal was to avoid the sweep against the Rockies. Sadly for the Dodgers, he did not succeed. Rogers, not as dominant as in his previous games, allowed a season-high twelve hits against Colorado, five of which led to runs. "I just didn't have it today", Rogers later explained his poor performance. After three innings, LA was already trailing by four runs.

At least the Dodgers did not give up and tried to get back into the game. Julio Franco launched a two-run home run in the sixth inning, but the Rockies answered with an RBI single by Chipper Jones. In the top of the seventh, Larry Walker doubled to bring home Kenny Lofton from second base. Franco then struck again by hitting a double that drove in one run, but should have scored two. Barry Bonds rounded the bases and headed for home, only to be tagged out at the plate for the final out.

Replays, however, showed the tag was not in time. GM Jim Tracy instantly stepped onto the field, arguing the call, but to no avail. "Everybody could see Barry was safe", Tracy expressed his anger at the press conference. LA had two more chances to tie or even win the game, when they had runners in scoring position in the eight and the ninth inning. Hopes were high in their dugout, but both opportunities went by without scoring. In the end, Colorado celebrated both the 5-4 win and the sweep.

Boxscore: LAD 4 – COL 5

Game 19: Diamondbacks (11-8) @ Dodgers (8-10)

Speedy D'backs Rush To Win At Dodger Stadium

la19tv7.jpg

Left: Julio Franco goes yard in the fourth inning; Right: Luis Castillo caps his great night by stealing third base.

After losing four straight games on the road, the Dodgers and their fans had hoped for the turnaround against Arizona. With a home record of 4-1, LA's chances to stop the skid were quite good, but the Diamondbacks were just to fast that night. Especially Arizona's top of the lineup, Joey Gathright and Luis Castillo, kept the Dodgers on their feet the entire game. Gathright had a triple and two stolen bases, while Castillo was simply fantastic with a double, a triple, a stolen base, and a couple of RBIs.

Kevin Brown, who started the game for the Dodgers, allowed three runs on five hits over six innings. "Pitching isn't our biggest problem right now", Brown told the press after the game. "We just don't come up with big hits when we really needed them." LA's only major offensive outburst came in the fourth inning, when Julio Franco blasted a solo shot into the left field stands. It was Franco's second home run in as many games for the Dodgers.

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Arizona's closer Troy Percival had loaded the bases for Barry Bonds. The entire ballpark was on its feet, as the slugger stepped up to the plate. Bonds finally swung for a high fastball on the inner corner, but it only resulted in an easy fly ball to right field. "I'm very disappointed because I let the whole team down", Bonds self-critically expressed his frustration at the press conference. "Usually, I don't miss opportunities like that."

Boxscore: ARI 3 – LAD 2

Game 20: Diamondbacks (12-8) @ Dodgers (8-11)

Dodgers End 5-Game Skid By Outslugging Arizona

la20kf8.jpg

Left: Pinch hitter Greg Myers drives in the go-ahead run; Right: Jeff Conine celebrates his first long ball of 2005.

With a miraculous win over the Diamondbacks, the Dodgers have ended their worst streak of the current season. After five straight defeats, the Californians beat Arizona 10-7. However, two innings into game, nobody would have expected the home town fans to celebrate in the end. The visiting team scored early on Luis Castillo's sacrifice fly which brought home Joey Gathright from third base. The next inning, the D'backs added three more runs to give them a comfortable 4-0 lead.

LA's starter, Shane Reynolds, was replaced by long reliever Mike Jackson in the fourth inning. With a shaky Reynolds off the field, the home team seemed to gain new confidence. Julio Franco initiated the rally by hitting a three-run home run in the bottom of the inning. "We needed a big fly, so I hit one", Franco later commented on his third long ball in as many games. Lyle Overbay's RBI single in the seventh extended Arizona lead, but in the bottom of the inning Jeff Conine turned the game around with one swing of the bat.

Conine's three-run blast off Arizona's Odalis Perez gave the Dodgers their first lead of the night. "What a game, what a win", Conine was all smiles after the game. Despite Tom Gordon allowing the tying run to score in the eighth, LA added four more runs in the same inning, before handing the ball over to Trevor Hoffman. The closer started badly by giving up a solo home run to Felipe Lopez. Overbay then got on base with a single, but Hoffman retired the side after that, much to the delight of players and fans alike.

Boxscore: ARI 7 – LAD 10

Game 21: Diamondbacks (12-9) @ Dodgers (9-11)

Big Finish Lifts Arizona Past Drowsy Dodgers

la21ub3.jpg

Left: 2B Luis Castillo went 3-for-5 with a home run; Right: Benito Santiago and Tom Gordon confer on the mound.

Only one day after ending a 5-game skid, the Dodgers are back on the losing side. Roger Clemens started the game for LA, but the Rocket could not pick up his fourth win of the year. The Diamondbacks, who relied on veteran starter Al Leiter, struggled in the beginning of the game, but had a fantastic finish to win the duel 8-5 in the end. "Today's loss was totally unnecessary", LA's GM Jim Tracy responded to reporters when asked about his thoughts on the night.

Craig Biggio opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning with his first homer of the year. Luis Castillo, who had another fabulous night against the Dodgers, tied the game in the fourth by going deep. LA's slugger, Barry Bonds, quickly answered with a monster shot of his own, but Aaron Rowand's long ball tied the game once more in the fifth. One inning later, the Dodgers regained the lead on a sacrifice fly by Bonds that brought home Biggio from third base.

Clemens, however, could not hold on to the lead for the third time of the night, allowing Mike Redmond to tie the game in the seventh with a sac fly. "Every time I thought we had them, the D'backs scored the tying run", LA's ace later commented. Tom Gordon came into the game for Clemens in the eighth, but Flash continued his slump by giving up four runs on as many hits. "It's a nightmare. I don't know what to say", Gordon murmured at the press conference. In the ninth inning, Julio Franco extended his current home run streak to four, but Arizona took home the win, 8-5.

Boxscore: ARI 8 – LAD 5

Do you speak Norwegian? :)

Not yet... ;-)

I have ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, do you know if your graphic card is better?

Anyway, it looks mighty nice!

Are you kidding?! Your card is way better than mine. My screenshots only look that good because I'm reducing their size. I wish I could play the game at 1024x768, not to mention 1280x1024.

Game 22: Rockies (12-9) @ Dodgers (9-12)

Dodgers Overpower Rockies In Extra Innings

la22tz4.jpg

Left: Thome drives in the go-ahead run in the twelfth; Right: Omar Vizquel is safe at home plate to tie the game.

In the most dramatic game of the year so far, the Dodgers rallied late for a 3-2 win over Colorado in extra innings. Julio Franco's solo home run, his fifth in a row, opened the scoring in the second inning. "First Barry and now me. Looks like we've got similar bats", the oldest player on the team was joking after the win. LA's starting pitcher Greg Maddux was solid on the mound, pitching seven strong innings in which he only allowed a single run on three hits.

Despite dominating Colorado's offense, Maddux was only able to strike out one opposing batter, a fact the future Hall of Famer could not be happy about. "Every single time I had two strikes on one of the Rockies, I lost control over my pitches", Maddux explained later. After nine innings, the game was still tied at 1-1, so extra innings had to decide the battle. In the twelfth inning, the Rockies scored first on Jim Thome's RBI single that brought home Austin Kearns from second base.

In the bottom of the inning, Omar Vizquel hit a single to get on base, but the next two batters were retired by pitcher Jorge Julio. With two outs and the count being 1-2, Craig Biggio hit a line drive down the right field line. Vizquel put down his head, hustled around the bases and headed for home plate. The throw to the plate was off target and Biggio had tied the game. After two walks to Larry Walker and Eric Young, Julio Franco hit the game-winning single. The stadium went wild, as everybody celebrated LA's comeback win in extras.

Boxscore: ARI 2 – LAD 3

Not yet... ;-)

Are you kidding?! Your card is way better than mine. My screenshots only look that good because I'm reducing their size. I wish I could play the game at 1024x768, not to mention 1280x1024.

Ok, I can play 1280x1024 :) By the way, great dynasty !

Game 23: Rockies (12-10) @ Dodgers (10-12)

LA Stunned In Disbelief After Nightmare Loss

la23ry7.jpg

Left: Chipper Jones hits a Grand Slam in the ninth; Right: 1B Julio Franco went deep in all of his last six games.

One day after a dramatic win in extra innings, the Dodgers suffered the most heartbreaking defeat in recent history. Despite having a five-run lead after eight, LA's "Old-Stars" acted like Rookies in the final inning of the game, allowing Colorado to score a total of six runs. The first one was walked in, the second came on an RBI single by Pedro Feliz, and four were driven in on Chipper Jones' Grand Slam. Although closer Trevor Hoffman was the pitcher giving up the Grand Slam, it was relief pitcher Steve Reed who allowed the potential go-ahead run to step up to the plate.

After the game, Dodgers' GM Jim Tracy took the blame for replacing starting pitcher Kenny Rogers with Reed. "It was my fault and I'm deeply sorry for both the fans and the players", Tracy apologized. "We had a five-run lead and I wanted to give the kid [steve Reed] some confidence by letting him finish the game. By the time I had realized my mistake, it was too late." Prior to this incident, the Dodgers had dominated the Rockies. Rogers went 7 2/3 innings and only gave up a single run.

Julio Franco provided the offense for LA by capping a five-run fifth inning with a three-run home run, his sixth in as many games. "It could have been one of the luckiest days in my career, but now I'm just shocked and speechless", Franco struggled for words after the bitter defeat. "I thought I had seen everything in baseball", a depressed shortstop Omar Vizquel told reporters. "Clearly, I was wrong."

Boxscore: ARI 7 – LAD 6

Update:

Following the horrible performance of relief pitcher Steve Reed in LA's last game, the Dodgers have traded him to the Anaheim Angels for left-handed RP Kent Mercker (37).

Kent Mercker

Mercker_Kent.jpg

for

Steve Reed

Reed_Steve.jpg

To be honest, I kicked Reed off my team immediately after the devastating defeat, but then decided to trade him instead. The Angels had Mercker on the trading block and since I always welcome lefties in my bullpen, I decided to go for him. They accepted the trade instantly, but I expect to see Reed on the block again very soon.

Game 24: Rockies (13-10) @ Dodgers (10-13)

Dodgers Destroy Rockies By Seven Runs

la24nc0.jpg

Left: Kevin Brown earned his second win of the year; Right: Greg Myers' homer is out of reach for Austin Kearns.

With a well-deserved 8-1 win over Colorado, the Dodgers got their revenge for the heartbreaking loss the night before. Kevin Brown started on the mound for the Californians and almost shut down the opposing offense. Brown went seven strong innings, allowing only a single run on three hits. "I felt really good today", the right-hander commented on the game. "And I'm glad I could contribute to the success of the entire team."

The Dodgers took control of the game early by scoring two runs in the second inning. Greg Myers went yard with his fifth long ball of the season, and Kenny Lofton's RBI single drove in Omar Vizquel from second base. Myers added another run in the third, when he sacrificed to bring home Julio Franco. The Rockies got on board in the fourth on Austin Kearns' RBI single, but LA answered in the person of Barry Bonds, who doubled in the fifth, allowing Larry Walker to score easily.

In the sixth inning, the Dodgers hit three doubles and drove in four runs. Colorado's resistance was broken and relief pitcher Roberto Hernandez came into the game for Brown to finish the game. "The situation was pretty similar to the one last night", Hernandez later explained. "But this time we didn't act like amateurs." So, LA continues its emotional roller-coaster ride of ups and downs. Next up is a three-game series against the Nationals at Dodger Stadium.

Boxscore: ARI 1 – LAD 8

Game 25: Nationals (16-9) @ Dodgers (11-13)

Pitching Quartet Shuts Down Nationals

la25fp1.jpg

Left: Vinny Castilla hits an RBI single in the sixth; Right: Washington's Johan Santana is thrown out a first base.

The Dodgers have won the first game of a three-game series against the Washington Nationals. LA's starter Shane Reynolds turned in his best performance of year by pitching five shutout innings, in which he allowed only two hits and recorded three strikeouts. "My first two starts weren't that great, but now I feel pretty comfortable on the mound", Reynolds summarized his strong outing against one of the best teams in the Majors.

Considering LA's performance over the last couple of days, the win came as quite a surprise for everyone at the club, especially because Washington had sent its ace, Johan Santana, to the mound. The southpaw was able to shut down the Dodgers for five innings, but in the sixth he surrendered a run to the home team on Vinny Castilla's RBI single. Right fielder Jeff Conine added another run in the seventh by hitting a double that brought home Kenny Lofton from second base.

Relief pitcher Roberto Hernandez, who had come into the game for Reynolds in the sixth, held the opposing offense quiet over two innings. Setup man Tom Gordon and closer Trevor Hoffman finished the job, giving the Dodgers their second straight victory, 2-0. "I'm very proud of my team", GM Jim Tracy stated after the game. "The Nationals are one of the toughest teams to beat, but we showed them that the same applies for us as well."

Boxscore: WAS 0 – LAD 2

Archived