Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

Game 4: Dodgers (1-2) @ Diamondbacks (2-1)

Dodgers Rally, But D'backs Walk-Off With Grand Slam

la4vl3.jpg

Left: Walker rounds the bases after his three-run homer; Right: Castillo celebrates after his walk-off Grand Slam.

Kevin Brown took the mound for the Dodgers in their first game of the 2005 season at Chase Field. Although he seemed to find his groove in the beginning, Brown surrendered three runs over two innings against the Diamondbacks to start the game. "I gave up some easy hits during the first couple of innings", Brown acknowledged later. "I'm sorry for my teammates because today we would have deserved to win."

Despite facing a four-run deficit in the seventh inning, LA came all the way back and scored a total of six runs over two innings. Larry Walker hit a three-run home run and Craig Biggio doubled in two more runs. Barry Bonds finally walked in a run to give the Dodgers a 7-5 lead after eight. But once more the bullpen struggled, as Arizona's shortstop Felipe Lopez hit a double off LA's reliever Steve Reed that scored two runs.

So, in the bottom of the ninth inning, the stage was all set for second baseman Luis Castillo with the bases loaded and two outs. Lefthander Buddy Groom, who had come into the game for Reed, threw a high fastball to the outside corner, but Castillo hammered the ball into the stands of left field for the 11-7 win. "We really need to work on our bullpen performance", Dodgers GM Jim Tracy explained during the press conference. "Our offense is very strong at the moment, but without proper pitching support, we are not going to win many games."

(I was so angry after the loss that I completely forgot to extract the boxscore. So, here's the linescore instead:)

linescore4bj4.jpg

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 5: Dodgers (1-3) @ Diamondbacks (3-1)

Super Seventh Secures Sweet Success For Arizona

la5ez5.jpg

Left: Arizona's Victor Santos prepares for the pitch; Right: Outfielder Vernon Wells blasts a two-run home run.

Another game, another bitter defeat for the LA Dodgers. And once again, a more than shaky bullpen gave the game away too easily, according to GM Jim Tracy. "As soon as the game enters its decisive phase, we can't control our pitches anymore. That has got to stop!" Tracy's outcry was the result of Roberto Hernandez surrendering five runs in the seventh inning, which gave the Diamondbacks a comfortable 9-3 lead for the final two innings.

Anyway, the game did not only end badly for the Dodgers, as its beginning was not one to cheer about either. Knuckleballer Steve Sparks had to watch Vernon Wells start the afternoon with a monstrous two-run shot. LA was able to tie the game, thanks to Kenny Lofton's single in the third, but Lyle Overbay's go-ahead RBI single in the fifth signalized the Dodgers' declining performance over the final innings of the game.

Arizona's starter Victor Santos recorded his first win of the year with an impressive outing over six full innings. Santos struck out eight Dodgers (Larry Walker three times and Barry Bonds twice), while only walking two. However, the most dominant player on the field was center fielder Vernon Wells, who had four hits in five at-bats, with three RBIs and a home run. "Tomorrow we'll get another chance to beat them", catcher Greg Myers showed no signs of giving up. Myers was the only highlight for the Dodgers, as he continued his amazing streak, going 2-for-4 with a double and his third long ball.

Boxscore: LAD 4 - ARI 9

Game 6: Dodgers (1-4) @ Diamondbacks (4-1)

Dodgers Stop Downslide In Chase Field Showdown

la6zf6.jpg

Left: Vernon Wells trots home after his solo shot; Right: Roger Clemens helps his own cause by hitting a single.

After four straight losses, the LA Dodgers were able to bounce back in their third and final matchup against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field. Roger Clemens, who had been responsible for LA's only triumph of the year, added another win to his more than impressive career. "I'm happy for the entire team, as we needed this win badly", Clemens stated after the game. However, the night did not start too well for the veteran ace, as he had to give up a two runs for the D'backs in the first inning.

As the game progressed, Clemens became more and more dominant, striking out batter after batter. In the fifith inning, Clemens bunted Omar Vizquel from first to second, and Kenny Lofton's RBI single put the guest team on the board. In the seventh, pinch hitter Fred McGriff reached base with a single off Odalis Perez. Craig Biggio then doubled, putting runners on second and third for LA with only one out. Larry Walker delivered a bloop single into center field, allowing both runners to score.

The score being 3-2 for LA, the Dodgers went to Tom Gordon, who managed to secure the slim lead into the ninth inning. Closer Trevor Hoffman entered the game, but quickly had to face a similar situation as the D'backs had before. With the bases loaded and only one out, pinch hitter Jorge Cantu hit into a fielder's choice, resulting in a force out at home plate. Joey Gathright finally flied out with a foul ball pop-up, and the Dodgers celebrated their second win of the 2005 season.

Boxscore: LAD 3 - ARI 2

Game 7: Giants (3-3) @ Dodgers (2-4)

Bonds Shines In Dodgers Home Premiere

la7vs6.jpg

Left: Mark Guthrie pitched three strong innings; Right: Bonds follows through on his first dinger at Dodger Stadium.

Despite allowing 15 hits to the San Francisco Giants, the Dodgers came up victorious in their home opener of 2005. Greg Maddux started the game for LA and was given plenty of run support, after surrendering a two-run home run to Nomar Garciaparra in the first inning. The Dodgers scored six runs over the first three innings, but Maddux struggled to find his rhythm on the mound. "I simply couldn't locate my pitches today", the 39-year-old admitted after the game.

In the fourth inning, Maddux allowed three runs on five hits, bringing the Giants back into the game, 5-6. GM Jim Tracy went to his bullpen in the person of long reliever Mark Guthrie. The lefthander kept the opposing offense pretty quiet over three innings on the mound. Barry Bonds added another run for LA with his first long ball at Dodger Stadium in 2005. Bonds had a great game and ended up 3-for-4 with two RBIs. "I wanted to give the fans here in Los Angeles something to cheer about", the slugger smiled at the press conference.

Closer Trevor Hoffman retired the side in the ninth, recording the second straight win for the Dodgers. "It was very important for us to start the first homestand with a win", Hoffman said. "We've been criticized a lot over the past few days, so the team wanted to give a positive signal to our fans and the entire staff." San Francisco and Los Angeles, who now both share a season record of 3-4, will meet again two more times at Dodger Stadium, before the Dodgers will host a three-game series against the Padres.

Boxscore: SF 5 - LAD 7

Game 8: Giants (3-4) @ Dodgers (3-4)

Rogers Pitches Gem For LA's Third Straight Win

la8uy6.jpg

Left: Kenny Rogers was in total control of quiet Giants; Right: Barry Bonds crosses home plate after going deep.

The excellent pitching of starter Kenny Rogers was all the Dodgers needed in their 4-1 win over the SF Giants. The lefty was on track for pitching a complete game shutout, until he gave up an RBI single to Dan Wilson with one out in the ninth inning. Rogers was then replaced by closer Trevor Hoffman, who retired the final two batters and earned his fourth save of the season.

"It would've been great to pitch a CGS in my first game here at Dodger Stadium, but I'm happy with my performance tonight nonetheless", Rogers stated after the game. After no decision in his debut for LA, Rogers struck out three and walked two for his first win as a Dodger. Additionally, he also lowered his ERA to 3.77, before exiting the game after 88 thrown pitches.

Earlier that evening, Omar Vizquel and Kenny Lofton had provided Rogers with three RBIs to give the Dodgers a comfortable lead after four innings. Barry Bonds went yard in the seventh to make the game 4-0 for LA. It was Bonds' second straight homer at Dodger Stadium and his third of the year. "If I'm able to keep this pace, I'll break Aaron's home run record in no time", Bonds was joking when interviewed by reporters.

Boxscore: SF 1 - LAD 4

Update:

Considering the average age on my team, it was only a matter of time until the first player will go down on injury. Well, in the latest game against the Giants, shortstop Omar Vizquel suffered a pulled groin and will be out for eleven days. He has already been placed on the 15-day DL, and I called up 2B/UTIL Terry Shumpert (38) from AAA Las Vegas to the MLB level.

Game 9: Padres (3-6) @ Dodgers (4-4)

Big Bats Make It Four In A Row For Los Angeles

la9vu6.jpg

Left: Bonds after hitting his third homer in as many games; Right: Benito Santiago connects for a two-run shot.

After a slow start into the new season, the Dodgers finally seem to have found their rhythm. Thanks to a pair of two-run home runs by catcher Benito Santiago and outfielder Barry Bonds, LA topped San Diego for their fourth straight win. "It's all coming together right now", center fielder Kenny Lofton summarized the current situation of the ballclub. "And with the support of our fans, we're tough to beat here in Los Angeles."

Starting pitcher Kevin Brown was solid on the mound, allowing only one run over five innings while striking out four batters. His opponent, Jimmy Gobble, performed equally well, but could not prevent Santiago from going deep in the sixth inning. The two-run shot gave LA the lead and the Dodgers added four more runs in the seventh for the final score of 7-2.

Two of these seventh inning runs were driven in by slugger Barry Bonds with his fourth long ball of the year and his third straight at Dodger Stadium. "I'm really seeing a lot of pitches right now and, most importantly, my swing is perfect at the moment", Bonds analyzed his impressive performance after the game. LA's latest triumph pushes the team over .500 for the first time in 2005, a fact GM Jim Tracy is naturally very happy about. "A positive record gives the entire team more confidence and less things to worry about."

Boxscore: SD 2 - LAD 7

Game 10: Padres (3-7) @ Dodgers (5-4)

Wakefield Tops Sparks In Knuckleball Duel

la10oz7.jpg

Left: Starter Tim Wakefield struck out nine batters; Right: Barry Bonds continues his amazing home run streak.

San Diego's Tim Wakefield and LA's Steve Sparks are among the few pitchers in the MLB who have got a knuckleball in their repertoire. The two faced each other in the second game of a three-game series at Dodger Stadium, but only Wakefield's knuckler worked wonders on the field. He struck out nine opposing batters over six innings, while Sparks had a lot of trouble locating his pitches.

The Padres opened the scoring in the second inning, when Adam Melhuse connected for his first home run of the season and Placido Polanco singled in two more runs for SD. In the top of the third, Sparks was hit by a line drive that caused a fractured toe. Without a single strikeout in two starts, the Dodger had to leave the game and was replaced by Mike Jackson. Sparks, who has been placed on the 15-day DL, will miss approximately 24 games. "Maybe this break is what he needs", GM Jim Tracy commented the situation.

Larry Walker's third long ball of 2005 put the Dodgers on the board in the fourth inning, but a four-run seventh by the Friars was too much for the home team. At least Barry Bonds gave the fans what they wanted to see as he went deep for the fourth straight game. "Only four home runs more and I hold another record", Bonds seemed optimistic after the game. Despite the power of Walker and Bonds, LA had to accept its first defeat of the current season at Dodger Stadium.

Boxscore: SD 7 - LAD 3

Game 11: Padres (4-7) @ Dodgers (5-5)

Grand Walker Slams Door On Feeble Friars

la11ku3.jpg

Left: Larry Walker hit LA's first Grand Slam of 2005; Right: Roger Clemens improved to 3-0 with an ERA of 1.42.

Led by an outstanding Roger Clemens, the Dodgers were on a roll in their last home game before heading to Milwaukee for an expanded road trip. Jim Tracy's players scored a season-high seven runs in the second inning, showing San Diego that there was no way they would lose back-to-back games at Dodger Stadium.

After Clemens had started the inning by walking in a run, Kenny Lofton singled to drive home two more. With the bases loaded and two outs, Larry Walker stepped up to the plate. The right fielder delivered a monster shot that traveled 483 feet before landing. Grand Slam Dodgers, 7-0! "Of course I'm happy", Walker said after the game. "A hit like that doesn't occur many times in your career."

Barry Bonds, who was 3-for-4 on the night, added two more runs with a double in the fourth inning, but the slugger could not continue his home run streak. "Actually, I'm kinda glad it's all over now", Bonds seemed relieved when questioned at the press conference. "I've already got enough pressure on myself to go after Hank Aaron's record. Now I can fully concentrate on that again."

Boxscore: SD 1 - LAD 10

Hallo!

Supercoole Sache mit den alten Säcken, aber man merkt teilweise eben, dass sich da ein wenig Rost angesetzt hat und sie doch oft verlieren ;-)))

Aber Steve Sparks ist nun wirklich nicht "Hall of Shame" nach ein paar Starts; dieses Urteil finde ich ein wenig zu hart.

Ein paar Anmerkungen habe ich dennoch:

Du pitchst nicht gerade sehr viel auf Strikeouts oder? Weil 7 sind für einen wie R. Clemens gar nichts, auf 3 Starts hoch gerechnet...Clemens wäre auch für mich, statt Bonds MVP Deines Teams bisher, weil 3 Super-Starts für mich besser sind, als 5 Homeruns.

LG

Sac51

PS: That was in german, cause it is great for me to write in my mother-tongue. :-) Hope it is ok 4U ??? Did you "understand" nevertheless anything, when you read german or nothing ;) ?

Hi Sac!

Freut mich, dass dir meine Dynasty gefällt. Da ich mit den Blue Jays in meinem Owner Mode ziemlich dominiere, genieße ich die wirklich spannenden Spiele mit den Dodgers umso mehr.

Außerdem habe ich einfach ein Herz für alte Menschen. ;-)

Zu Steve Sparks: Ist schon klar, dass es ein wenig hart ist, nach zwei Starts von "Hall of Shame" zu sprechen, aber der hat bisher noch überhaupt nichts gezeigt. Kein Strikeout in zwei Spielen (bzw. 9 Innings insgesamt), fünf Runs erlaubt und dann auch noch verletzt (gebrochener Zehen - 25 Tage Pause). Das war einfach zuviel für meine Nerven, daher die "Ehrung".

Zu Roger Clemens: Clemens hatte sieben Strikeouts in zwei Spielen, nicht in drei. Jetzt, nach dem dritten, hat er neun Strikeouts, also drei pro Spiel. Du hast natürlich trotzdem recht, das ist nicht gerade viel für einen Spieler wie "The Rocket", aber mehr war einfach nicht zu holen. Vielleicht muss ich mich auch einfach zuerst an die (für mich) neuen Deliveries meiner Pitcher gewöhnen.

Zu Barry Bonds: Neben Bonds und Clemens war auch Larry Walker ein heißer Kandidat für die "Hall of Fame". Er hatte nach Kenny Lofton den besten AVG, die meisten RBIs und zudem noch drei Homeruns. Schlussendlich habe ich mich dann doch für Barry entschieden, weil ich meines Wissens noch mit keinem Spieler zuvor vier Homeruns in vier Spielen hintereinander geschafft habe.

MfG aus Österreich,

xiberger

Hallo nach Östereich :),

Nochmal wegen Steve Sparks: Das ist kein typischer NL Pitcher; den sollte man eher in der AL pitchen lassen: Wird immer wieder auf ESPN betont; der passt einfach von seinem Stil her nicht in die NL Taktik hinein, wo man ja den Pitcher für einen Pinch-Hitter oftmals aus dem Spiel nehmen muss.

Für mich wäre er so oder so ein Long-Reliever und kein Starter! Versuch doch vieleicht noch Greg Maddux oder so an Land zu ziehen und schieb Steve Sparks dafür in den Bullpen ?

Ansonsten finde ich die Idee mit den Oldies echt mal gelungen...man könnte genauso ein Super Team aus Neulingen oder Spielern erstellen, die über 1-2 Big-League Erfahrung verfügen. :)

Ich habe auch noch nie 4 Homeruns in 4 aufeinanderfolgenden Spielen mit demselben Hitter geschafft! Manchmal schaffe ich 3-4 Walks von ein und demselben Spieler, weil ich schon sehr gut darin bin die Strike Zone einzuschätzen und eine gewisse "patience" an der Platte habe.

Viel Erfolg weiterhin mit den Dodgers! "THINK BLUE!!!"

LG aus Mittelhessen bei Frankfurt/Main

b@St1

Greg Maddux muss ich gar nicht an Land ziehen, denn der befindet sich bereits in meinem Team. :-)

Allerdings ist auch er noch nicht ganz in Hochform. Beim letzten Spiel (siehe Bericht unten) war er zwar sehr solide, aber zum Sieg hat es aufgrund fehlender Unterstützung der Offense wieder nicht gereicht.

Vielleicht probiere ich Sparks echt mal im Bullpen. Momentan habe ich Shane Reynolds aus dem AAA-Team als seinen Ersatz geholt. Wenn der sich auf dem MLB-Level beweist, wäre diese Taktik durchaus denkbar.

btw, maybe we should keep the German talk out of the forums and switch to English again, ok? But feel free to send me a PM anytime you want to discuss things in our native language.

Game 12: Dodgers (6-5) @ Brewers (7-4)

Wolf Leads Brew Crew To Win Over Dodgers

la12ew9.jpg

Left: Randy Wolf pitched 7.2 shutout innings; Right: David Wright started Milwaukee's offense with a solo homer.

The LA Dodgers came to Milwaukee with much confidence in their luggage, but a marvelous Randy Wolf destroyed all hopes for a win at Miller Park. Wolf recorded his second win of the year by pitching more than seven innings in which he did not allow a single run. His pitching opponent, LA's 39-year-old veteran Greg Maddux, had his best appearance in a Dodger uniform so far, but could not avoid the defeat.

Maddux was on the mound for six innings, giving up two runs on five hits while striking out six opposing batters. "Yeah, I felt great today, but still couldn't get my first win for LA", a disappointed legend stated after the game. The Brewers were put on the board by David Wright's solo shot in the fourth inning. The third baseman had a fantastic afternoon, going 3-for-4 against the Dodgers, who finished the game with only five base hits.

Gary Matthews Jr.'s RBI double and Jason Bay's home run provided enough offense for Milwaukee to win the game 3-0, as its bullpen completed the shutout. According to infielder Vinny Castilla, the Dodgers certainly didn't have their most productive at-bats in the series opener. "Tomorrow's another day and another chance for us to shine", Castilla added. "We've got what it takes, but you just can't win every game."

Boxscore: LAD 0 - MIL 3

Game 13: Dodgers (6-6) @ Brewers (8-4)

Rolling Rogers Does It All For Los Angeles

la13ky1.jpg

Left: Jose Vizcaino goes yard in the ninth inning; Right: Kenny Rogers' squeeze bunt brings home Craig Biggio.

LA's starting pitcher Kenny Rogers earned his second win of the year in grand fashion. Not only did the crafty lefty pitch seven shutout innings against the Brewers, but he also drove in two runs in his team's 4-0 win over Milwaukee. In his first at-bat, Rogers drew a walk with the bases loaded and two outs. "Sometimes patience is all you need", Rogers later told the press. "I could see that he [shawn Estes, Milwaukee's starter] was a little wild today, so all I had to do was wait."

Rogers' second RBI of the game was more spectacular, as it involved a suicide bunt. In the fourth inning, Estes had loaded the bases yet again, but this time with only one out. Rogers laid down a perfect bunt towards the second baseman, which allowed Biggio to score easily from third. Barry Bonds later added another run with a sacrifice fly and Jose Vizcaino, who was 2-for-2 with two walks, hit a solo home run in the ninth inning.

In the top of the eighth inning, after recording six strikeouts and only allowing four hits, Rogers was replaced by setup man Tom Gordon. "It's both a pleasure and an honor to come into the game for a man like him", Gordon shared his feelings about Rogers. "I can always be sure he'll give me something to work with." The Dodgers are now heading to San Diego for a two-game series before playing the Rockies in Colorado.

Boxscore: LAD 4 - MIL 0

Greg Maddux muss ich gar nicht an Land ziehen, denn der befindet sich bereits in meinem Team. :-)

Allerdings ist auch er noch nicht ganz in Hochform. Beim letzten Spiel (siehe Bericht unten) war er zwar sehr solide, aber zum Sieg hat es aufgrund fehlender Unterstützung der Offense wieder nicht gereicht.

Vielleicht probiere ich Sparks echt mal im Bullpen. Momentan habe ich Shane Reynolds aus dem AAA-Team als seinen Ersatz geholt. Wenn der sich auf dem MLB-Level beweist, wäre diese Taktik durchaus denkbar.

btw, maybe we should keep the German talk out of the forums and switch to English again, ok? But feel free to send me a PM anytime you want to discuss things in our native language.

Yes! I agree...

Maybe it is kind of unfairness by us to the other users who are following your dynasty!

Put Shane Reynolds into your rotation and move Steve Sparks into the bullpen for long-relief-duties.

Have fun!!!

Sac51

Game 14: Dodgers (7-6) @ Padres (4-10)

Divine Dodgers In Full Control Of San Diego

la14io4.jpg

Left: After a stunning catch, Barry Bonds lies on the warning track; Right: Julio Franco had four RBIs on the night.

The Dodgers first appearance at Petco Park in the 2005 was a very successful one. Starting pitcher Kevin Brown not only led the team to a well-deserved 6-2 win over the Padres, but also recorded his first win of the year. However, the game began with quite a shock for Brown as his opponent, SD's Jimmy Gobble, opened the scoring with an RBI single in the second inning. "That was totally unnecessary, but apart from that mistake, I'm very happy with my performance tonight."

Brown remained on the mound until the top of the seventh inning, when he was replaced by pinch hitter Fred McGriff. He had struck out a season-high seven batters, while walking two on 78 pitches. Vinny Castilla and Julio Franco provided the offense for Los Angeles by going deep in the fourth and sixth inning. Especially for Franco, who had four RBIs on the night, his second long ball of the year could not have been timed any better. "I've been told I was too old by so many people", a relieved Franco said. "It feels good to show them I still got it."

Castilla, who had put the Dodgers on the board with his two-run shot, also showed signs of relief. "It's always quite a struggle until you got your first homer of the year. Thank God that's over now." LA's current record is two games above .500, a fact GM Jim Tracy likes a lot. "Our main goal has to be to keep a positive record for the rest of the season. If we can do so, I'm sure we'll be playing in the playoffs this year."

Boxscore: LAD 6 - SD 2

Archived