Golden Boys – A Dodgers Dynasty

xiberger

Game 87: Dodgers (48-38) @ Astros (40-46)

Astonishing Astacio And Vivid Vidro Crush LA

la87ij8.jpg

Left: P. Astacio was perfect on the mound and at the plate; Right: J. Vidro round the bases after his third homer.

A very poor performance by starting pitcher Greg Maddux and a harmless offense were the key factors for LA's second devastating defeat in as many games at Minute Maid Park. Maddux lasted just two innings, allowing six runs on seven hits. His opponent, Astros starter Pedro Astacio, was perfect against the Dodgers, with both the ball and the bat. Astacio gave up just one run over 6 1/3 innings while striking out seven batters, and he finished the game with three hits.

In the second inning, Astacio even went deep for the first home run of his entire career. His teammate Jose Vidro had three (!) homers on the day and drove in five runs on four hits. "If I had thrown him a golf ball, he still would've blasted it out of the park", LA's relief pitcher Mike Jackson was joking after the game. Benito Santiago's RBI in the fourth and Jeff Conine's solo shot in the ninth accounted for the Dodgers' only runs.

Maddux's days in LA seem to be over. Although the 39-year-old veteran did not explicitly talk about his future, all signs indicate that the Mad Dog will soon leave the Dodgers. "I need a new start because this is just not working", Maddux told reporters after the game. His manager, Jim Tracy, was a bit more specific, but did not want to give away any details of a possible trade. "Over the past few weeks, Greg [Maddux] has repeatedly uttered the wish to be traded", Tracy said. "And if a player doesn't want to stay, there's no use of keeping him."

Boxscore: LAD 2 – HOU 8

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 88: Dodgers (48-39) @ Astros (41-46)

Methuselah Saves The Day For Dodgers

la88hu1.jpg

Left: Julio Franco trots home after his second homer; Right: Trevor Hoffman applauds his team after the big win.

After two painful losses against the Astros, the Dodgers avoided the sweep in the third and final game of the series. LA's 6-4 triumph at Houston lets the team head into the All-Star break with regained confidence. Starting pitcher Kevin Brown recorded his eighth win of the season by holding the opposing side to just three runs over six innings. "It was important for us to win this game", Brown stated at the press conference. "And I'm glad I could contribute my part to the team's success."

However, Houston scored first on a sunny afternoon at Minute Maid Park. Eric Byrnes blasted a home run off Brown to start the third inning. The Dodgers answered quickly in the fourth when Barry Bonds hit a solo shot into the Crawford Boxes in left field. Quinton McCracken's long ball in the bottom of the inning put the Astros on top again, but LA's Julio Franco connected for a two-run homer in the fifth, making it 3-2 for the Dodgers.

Pat Burrell's RBI single tied the game in the bottom of the sixth inning, but LA took the lead again in the seventh on Franco's second two-run shot of the day. Bonds then singled in another run to give the visitors a three-run lead with only three more innings to go. Despite Scott Hairston's long ball in the eighth, Houston was not able to turn the game around. In the end, Dodgers closer Trevor Hoffman earned his 24th save of the year. "I'm happy that my guys were able to rebound, but we're all even happier that the All-Star break has finally arrived", GM Jim Tracy said.

Boxscore: LAD 6 – HOU 4

Update:

Ok, so the All-Star game had arrived and I needed to get active in terms of trading. And I didn't have to think very hard to find the player I wanted to get rid of...

Due to his horrible appearances lately, I traded SP Greg Maddux to the Cleveland Indians. After adding 1B Fred McGriff and RP Grant Roberts to the deal, the Indians accepted to trade them for 1B Frank Thomas (37), SP Terry Mulholland (42), and RP John Franco (44).

I think it was a good trade for me because not only did I get another left-handed starter in Mulholland, but I also boosted my bat power with Thomas. The Big Hurt will be platooning with Julio Franco at first base. Mulholland will most likely be my fifth starter from now on, and Kevin Brown will take over Greg Maddux's position as the No. 2 starter.

On a side note, LF Barry Bonds, SP Roger Clemens, and CP Trevor Hoffman made it into the NL All-Star team. Despite these three legends, the AL squad prevailed 6-5.

I tried to trade Maddux for the Big Unit, but his team wouldn't accept. And since Sparks is currently my most reliable starter, I don't intend of giving him away. He's pitching great at the moment, just check out his last appearances!

Game 89: Giants (36-51) @ Dodgers (49-39)

Please, No-more! Garciaparra Stuns LA

la89qe9.jpg

Left: N. Garciaparra had two homers and five RBIs on the night; Right: M. Cabrera makes an outstanding catch.

Two days after the All-Star Game and the blockbuster trade that brought first baseman Frank Thomas and starter Terry Mulholland to Hollywood in exchange for Greg Maddux and Fred McGriff, the Dodgers suffered a bitter defeat at home. The Giants took full advantage of LA's current weakness and won the game, 6-1. Nomar Garciaparra had an amazing night at Dodger Stadium, going 4-for-5 with two long balls and five RBIs. "He was simply phenomenal today", LA's manager Jim Tracy commented on the visiting team's shortstop.

Garciaparra also opened the scoring in the first inning with a two-run blast. The Dodgers had a good shot at coming back when they had loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the opening inning. However, slugger Barry Bonds only managed to hit a shallow fly ball, and Thomas hit into a double play to end the inning. "That was like the worst possible start I could have", the newly acquired infielder stated later. In the fifth, Omar Vizquel brought the home team closer to their opponents by driving in Greg Myers from second base.

LA's starter Roger Clemens had to leave the game after six innings in which the ace had allowed just two runs. The Rocket struck out seven batters, but could not prevent the loss. Relief pitcher Mike Jackson came to the mound in the seventh, but after walking Edgardo Alfonzo and giving up a single to Miguel Cabrera, he was taken deep by Garciaparra. The three-run blast was his second on the night and his 19th of the year. Alfonzo finally drove in SF's last run with an RBI single in the eighth.

Boxscore: SF 6 – LAD 1

Game 90: Giants (37-51) @ Dodgers (49-40)

Dodgers Continue To Struggle At Home

la90vu9.jpg

Left: M. Cabrera throws away his bat after going yard; Right: B. Wilkerson comes up with the game-ending catch.

LA's slump continued with a 2-4 loss against the Giants. After the game, the crowd at Dodger Stadium showed its frustration over the home team's latest appearances. "The fans have every right to be mad", second baseman Craig Biggio admitted at the press conference. "We're all very disappointed by the way we're playing lately." The Dodgers started the game with Kevin Brown on the mound, but the right-hander could not tame Frisco's offense.

In the third inning, Shea Hillenbrand drove in the game's first run on a bloop double that scored Craig Counsell from second base. Two innings later, the visitors added to the lead on Miguel Cabrera's two-run homer. Barry Bonds' RBI single and Greg Myers' sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth brought the home team within two runs of the Giants, but that was all the offense SF would allow that night. Jason Marquis earned his fourth win of the year by pitching six strong innings.

Out of their last ten games, the Dodgers have lost seven. "Well, after five games of allowing ten hits or more, we've finally been able to hold the opposing side to only nine this time", manager Jim Tracy said with a tone of sarcasm in his voice. However, Tracy has not lost faith in his team altogether. "Despite the recent struggle, I'm still confident that my boys will soon prove what they're capable of." The latest defeat puts LA two games behind NL West-leading Colorado.

Boxscore: SF 4 – LAD 2

Game 91: Giants (38-51) @ Dodgers (49-41)

Bombastic Bonds Lifts Dodgers Past Giants

la91rw0.jpg

Left: B. Bonds drills homer No. 20 of the year; Right: B. Santiago, J. Tracy, and S. Reynolds meet on the mound.

The power of slugger Barry Bonds and the excellent pitching of starter Shane Reynolds were the key to LA's 5-2 win over SF. While Reynolds pitched five shutout innings and struck out three opposing batters, Bonds had a home run and four RBIs on the night. The Dodgers also showed enormous patience at the plate - a fact that is reflected in the eight (!) walks they drew from Giants starter Andy Pettitte. "That's the way I wanna see these guys play the game", LA's manager Jim Tracy commented on his team's performance.

Bonds opened the scoring in the fifth inning on a bases-loaded situation. His line drive went all the way back to the center field wall, allowing all runners to score. Bonds ended up at second base with a three-run double. The Giants, however, quickly replied in the very next frame. The visitors scored twice in the sixth on Brad Wilkerson's two-out double, thus cutting LA's lead to just a single run. The Giants had loaded the bases in the seventh, but Nick Swisher grounded out to end the inning with no harm done.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, Bonds took SF's reliever Chad Qualls deep for his 20th home run of the year. Larry Walker added another run in the eighth on a sacrifice fly to left field that scored Omar Vizquel from third base. Trevor Hoffman took the mound in the ninth, going for his 25th save. The veteran closer demonstrated his outstanding skills by striking out all three batters to end the game. "I've had a lot of problems lately, but today I felt very strong and confident", Hoffman stated after the game.

Boxscore: SF 2 – LAD 5

Game 92: Giants (38-52) @ Dodgers (50-41)

LA Wins In Extras On Walker's Walk-Off Shot

la92hs8.jpg

Left: L. Walker is welcomed at home plate after his walk-off blast; Right: F. Thomas draws a bases-loaded walk.

Larry Walker's solo shot in the bottom of the eleventh inning made an end to a crazy game between the Giants and the Dodgers. With two outs and an 0-2 count, the right fielder took closer Jay Powell deep for his 13th home run of the season. "It was almost unreal", Walker said after the game. "To come up with the game-winning home run in a situation like that is a very special thing - even for a veteran player such as myself." After the walk-off win, the Dodgers were celebrating the triumph both on the field and in the clubhouse.

During the first half of the game, the fans at Dodger Stadium were witnessing a true pitchers' duel between LA's knuckleballer Steve Sparks and SF's southpaw Tom Glavine. Both starters were able to keep the opposing side quite until the bottom of the sixth inning. It was then that Benito Santiago's RBI single drove in the first run of the day. The Giants tied the game in the seventh when Dan Wilson singled in Nomar Garciaparra from second base.

In the eighth inning, the visitors took the lead on Nick Swisher's two-run double, but Julio Franco and pinch hitter Frank Thomas tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the inning. Franco's single down the right field line scored pinch runner Eric Young all the way from first base, and Thomas drew a walk off reliever Domaso Marte with the bases loaded. In the end, LA's relief pitcher Mark Guthrie earned his sixth win of the year, thus bringing the Dodgers back to ten games over .500 and only one game behind the Colorado Rockies.

Boxscore: SF 3 – LAD 4

Game 93: Dodgers (51-41) @ Phillies (54-39)

Walker Does It Again For Daring Dodgers

la93ud2.jpg

Left: Philadelphia's Bobby Hill goes deep; Right: Larry Walker rounds the bases after his ninth-inning home run.

Another game-deciding home run by outfielder Larry Walker lifted the Dodgers over the Phillies. With the score being tied at 3-3 and Kenny Lofton at first base, Walker homered in the ninth inning off closer Bob Wickman. It was his 14th long ball of the year and the second big hit in as many games. "First a walk-off home run against the Giants, and then a two-run shot in the ninth against the Phillies - it doesn't get much better than that", Walker was all smiles after the game.

Although the visitors from LA prevailed in the end, it had been the home team that controlled the game for more than six innings. Philadelphia took the first lead of the game on Bobby Hill's RBI single in the bottom of the second. LA's starter Terry Mulholland, who made his debut for the Dodgers, was able to keep most of the opposing batters quiet, but he had a lot of trouble with Hill. The third baseman started the fifth with a solo home run, and Carlos Delgado added another run to give his team a 3-0 lead.

Vinny Castilla's RBI in the seventh inning finally put the Dodgers on the board. One inning later, Barry Bonds hit a bases-loaded single that drove in two runs for LA to tie the game. Setup man Tom Gordon came to the mound in the eighth and quickly retired the side. Thanks to Walker's ninth-inning blast, Flash earned his third win of 2005, and closer Trevor Hoffman finished the game by recording his 26th save of the year.

Boxscore: LAD 5 – PHI 3

Game 94: Dodgers (52-41) @ Phillies (54-40)

Resistance Is Ph-utile! Dodgers Steamroll Phillies

la94bw5.jpg

Left: RF Larry Walker connects for a Grand Slam; Right: SP Roger Clemens pitched his second shutout of 2005.

The Dodgers had absolutely no problems with the Phillies as they crushed their opponents, 11-0. Ace Roger Clemens pitched all nine innings for LA, thus recording his second complete game shutout of the year. The Rocket only needed 83 pitches for his tenth win of the season. He gave up a total of eight hits, but also struck out five Phillies. "After two losses in a row, it feels good to be back on the winning side again", Clemens analyzed his performance after the game.

Clemens also received plenty of run support from his teammates. Barry Bonds opened the scoring festival in the first inning when his single drove in Kenny Lofton from second base. Lofton added another run in the fourth, and Greg Myers' two-run homer in the fifth made it 4-0 for the Dodgers. Philadelphia's starter Chan Ho Park had to leave the mound after loading the bases in the sixth. Relief pitcher Peter Munro came into the game, but the Phillies would soon regret that move.

Larry Walker connected for a Grand Slam to give his team a comfortable eight-run lead. It was the right fielder's 15th long ball of the year and his third in the last three games. Still, the Dodgers continued to pound Munro, going back-to-back-to-back as Bonds and Frank Thomas went deep as well. Bonds' 21st home run and Thomas' first for his new team capped a six-run sixth. Lofton also homered to start the seventh in LA's biggest win of the season. "Everything clicked today", manager Jim Tracy happily said.

Boxscore: LAD 11 – PHI 0

Game 95: Dodgers (53-41) @ Phillies (54-41)

Dodgers Ride Long Balls To Swift Sweep

la95jk9.jpg

Left: Frank Thomas had a home run and four RBIs on the day; Right: Starter Kevin Brown dominated the mound.

A five-run fifth inning provided the Dodgers with enough offense to easily complete the road sweep over the Phillies. Starter Kevin Brown only gave up a single run over seven innings, thus recording his ninth win of the year. Philadelphia's Carlos Beltran reached base in the second inning on a fielding error by LA's second baseman Craig Biggio. Bobby Hill's RBI double scored Beltran all the way from first base, but that would be all the fans at Citizens Bank Park had to cheer about that day.

In the fifth inning, the Dodgers exploded against home team starter Chris Carpenter. First, Kenny Lofton connected for a two-run shot, giving the visitors the lead. Then, with two men on base and two outs, newly acquired first baseman Frank Thomas took Carpenter deep again. "My first long ball for the Dodgers didn't really make a difference, but this time I proved to everyone that I can still come up with clutch hits", the Big Hurt commented on his three-run blast, his second home run in as many games.

Vinny Castilla added to LA's lead by homering in the seventh inning, as did pinch hitter Jose Vizcaino in the eighth. Thomas' RBI single in the ninth not only capped a fantastic day for the 37-year-old, who was 3-for-4 with four RBIs, but also marked the last run in a strong 8-1 win by the Dodgers. "Honestly, I wouldn't have expected to sweep the Phillies – not even in my wildest dreams", manager Jim Tracy admitted after the game. Next up for Barry Bonds & Co. is a three-game series against the Mets in New York.

Boxscore: LAD 8 – PHI 1

Game 96: Dodgers (54-41) @ Mets (40-55)

Bonds Blasts Dodgers To Last-Minute Victory

la96yi8.jpg

Left: Disbelief and despair in the Mets' dugout; Right: LA's Barry Bonds follows through on his three-run homer.

LA's winning streak continued in New York, but the Californian's sixth consecutive win came only in the final moments of the game. In the ninth inning, with the Mets being in front 5-3, and their closer Jason Isringhausen on the mound, the Dodgers had just one more chance to turn the score around. After Larry Walker had flied out to start the frame, Kenny Lofton got on base by drawing a walk. Craig Biggio then struck out, leaving only one more out left to go for NY's closer.

Outfielder Jeff Conine managed to keep the game going by hitting a single to right field. The stage was all set for LA's slugger Barry Bonds, who had been perfect in his previous at-bats. On a 1-2 pitch, Bonds absolutely destroyed Isringhausen's fastball away, hitting it out of the park for a three-run shot. "Without a doubt, my biggest hit of the season so far", the left fielder stated at the press conference. Bonds' home run turned the entire game upside down and completely silenced the crowd at Shea Stadium.

Prior to the big finale, the Mets had scored five times in the fourth inning, but the Dodgers successfully kept on rallying until the end. In his first appearance since the injury, starter Kenny Rogers pitched just four innings in which he allowed five runs on six hits. Fellow southpaw Mark Guthrie took over for Rogers in the fifth and shut down the opposing offense. In the end, Guthrie earned his seventh win of the season, and closer Trevor Hoffman got his 27th save.

Boxscore: LAD 6 – NYM 5

Game 97: Dodgers (55-41) @ Mets (40-56)

Strong Finish Makes It Seven In A Row For LA

la97lq9.jpg

Left: Greg Myers takes a high pitch for a bases-loaded walk; Right: Chris Woodward makes a nice diving catch.

Three runs in the eighth inning gave the Dodgers the lead over the Mets and sufficed for LA's seventh straight win. With the game being tied at 1-1, Vinny Castilla put the visitors in front by hitting a two-out RBI single off relief pitcher Chris Reitsma. Catcher Benito Santiago followed by driving in another run on a double, and pinch hitter Greg Myers drew a walk with the bases loaded, making it 4-1 for the Dodgers.

NY's Kevin Mench opened the scoring in the bottom of the third inning when his two-out single allowed Coco Crisp to score from second base. Craig Biggio's sacrifice fly in the fifth tied the game for LA. Both teams' starters - Glendon Rusch for the Mets and Steve Sparks for the Dodgers - were solid on the mound. Sparks went six innings, allowing six hits and striking out two batters. Rusch lasted one out longer than his opponent and only gave up three hits while recording five strikeouts.

In the seventh inning, Mike Jackson came into the game, replacing Sparks. Jackson quickly retired the side, which earned him his second win of the year. Trevor Hoffman took the mound in the ninth and had no problems recording his 28th save of the season. "When you're on a roll, it's like you can't go wrong, no matter what you do", LA's closer stated afterwards. Before the series' final game, the Dodgers are now eager to seal the deal on their first back-to-back sweep of 2005.

Boxscore: LAD 4 – NYM 1

Game 98: Dodgers (56-41) @ Mets (40-57)

Mulholland Shines In Second Game For Dodgers

la98lg2.jpg

Left: M. Sweeney celebrates his solo shot in the ninth; Right: T. Mulholland pitched well and also drove in a run.

Starting pitcher Terry Mulholland, who was acquired by the Dodgers as part of the Maddux-Thomas trade, pitched a gem in his second appearance for his new team. The left-hander went 7 1/3 innings against the Mets, allowing just one run on five hits. "I'm very glad that everything worked out so well", Mulholland stated after his sixth win of the year. "It's always hard to change teams in the middle of the season, but I'm already feeling home in LA."

Like in the two previous games at Shea Stadium, it was the home team that got on the board first. In the bottom of the second inning, Brandon Phillips singled in Matt Stairs from second base. The Dodgers tied the game in the fourth on Omar Vizquel's RBI single, and Vinny Castilla's sacrifice fly allowed Jeff Conine to score the go-ahead run from third. Three innings later, Mulholland added to the lead with his first RBI of the season.

The Mets cut LA's lead to a single run when Mark Sweeney took closer Trevor Hoffman deep to start the bottom of the ninth inning. With one out, Chris Woodward got on base with a single, bringing the potential go-ahead run to the plate. However, Hoffman settled down and retired the final two batters for his 29th save of the year. The Dodgers have now won eight straight games, including two road sweeps against the Phillies and the Mets. "I told my players to enjoy this moment because it won't last forever", manager Jim Tracy said at the press conference.

Boxscore: LAD 3 – NYM 2

Game 99: Reds (54-44) @ Dodgers (57-41)

Clemens And Bonds Lift LA On Cloud No. 9

la99xm7.jpg

Left: Barry Bonds connects for a three-run blast; Right: Roger Clemens shut down the Reds over seven innings.

The Dodgers played flawless baseball in the 4-0 shutout win over the Reds. Starting pitcher Roger Clemens went seven innings for his eleventh win of the season, allowing just six hits while recording as many strikeouts. "The atmosphere here in LA is absolutely fantastic at the moment", the Rocket declared after the game. "We've finally become a team in which every single player is willing to give his very best for the organization."

In the bottom of the fourth inning, shortstop Jose Vizcaino opened the scoring by hitting a two-out RBI single off Cincinnati's starter Rodrigo Lopez. One inning later, Barry Bonds stepped up to the plate with runners on first and second and one out. LA's slugger, who had been walked in his first two at-bats, crushed a high fastball by Lopez over the wall in right field for a three-run home run. It was Bonds' 23rd long ball of the year and his fourth since the All-Star break.

Only first baseman Todd Helton posed a threat to LA's defense. Helton went 3-for-4 on the night, including a lead-off double in the second inning. However, his fellow teammates could not bring him home. In the eighth inning, Clemens, who has now pitched 21 consecutive shutout innings, was replaced by Tom Gordon. After Flash retired the side, Trevor Hoffman came to the mound in the ninth. He allowed speedy pinch hitter Alex Sanchez to cruise into third with a two-out triple, but Toby Hall flied out to end the game.

Boxscore: CIN 0 – LAD 4

Game 100: Reds (54-45) @ Dodgers (58-41)

Dodgers Win Tenth Straight, But Lose Brown

la100gn7.jpg

Left: Kevin Brown suffered a broken leg after being hit by a line drive; Right: Miguel Tejada went deep in the first.

The Dodgers extended their exceptional winning streak against the Reds, but their tenth straight win was overshadowed by Kevin Brown's injury. The starting pitcher got hit by a line drive in the third inning, causing a fracture in his left leg. "The injury appears to be not as bad as we initially thought", GM Jim Tracy commented on Brown's condition. "He'll be out of action for about two months, but he might be able to return before the end of the regular season."

Cincinnati had the better start into the game as Miguel Tejada went deep in the first inning to open the scoring. The shortstop's two-run home run was his 20th of the year. The Dodgers were put on the board in the bottom of the third inning when relief pitcher Mark Guthrie, who had replaced the injured Brown, hit for extra bases. His first double of the year scored Omar Vizquel and was also his first RBI of 2005. In the next at-bat, Craig Biggio drove in Guthrie with a single to tie the game.

The home team added two more runs in the fifth inning on Vizquel's sacrifice fly and Jeff Conine's RBI single. Catcher Greg Myers made it 5-2 for the Dodgers with another RBI single in the sixth. Todd Helton homered for the Reds in the bottom of the inning, and Juan Pierre's sacrifice fly in the seventh brought the visitors within a single run. Despite the slim lead, LA's closer Trevor Hoffman showed no signs of being nervous when he came to the mound in the ninth. He struck out the final three batters for his 30th save of the season.

Boxscore: CIN 4 – LAD 5

Update:

In the last game against Cincinnati, SP Kevin Brown suffered a fractured leg. He'll be out for 59 days, so I placed him on the 60-Day DL. Brown will return to the team in the final stages of the regular season. To fill his spot in the rotation, I called up SP Shane Reynolds from AAA.

Archived