curtisbanner.jpg

Scouting Report on Curtis D. Graham

Conducted by the National federation for High School Baseball Scouting

-----------

Name: Curtis Dell Graham

Primary Position: SS / IF

-----------

GRADES

Fielding: A- Nothing exceptional, although he places himself well in front of grounded balls, has fast reflexes, and seems to read the ball well.

Arm: B- An all-around solid arm. Not a cannon, but adequate, and is still able to gun down a runner throwing from the hole.

Speed: B+ Might be faster than that, but still seems to be able to swipe bases with decent speed, and also seems to be a smart baserunner.

Contact Batting: B+ Good at putting the bat on the ball and putting it where he wants to. I Hesitate to say a combination of Derek Jeter and Rod Carew with less talent - not sure if that is or will be true. Potential .280 hitter or possible higher.

Power Batting: C Not his strength, but not really part of his game - more important he seems to know it's not part of his game. Still has natural pop though, potential to hit 10-15 homers.

Plate Control: B+ Shows impressive plate discipline for his young age - Not exceptional, but very solid, and picks good pitches to hit by working the count.

Overall: B to B+ Overall very solid - no area that he's extremely weak at; a side order of a 4-tool player, if you will. However, what's most impressive perhaps is the skills he uses with his mind - plate control, when to steal a base, how to position himself when fielding, etc.

Comparable Players: David Eckstein, Miguel Cairo, Jack Wilson.

• 2 months later...

Abc's a good guy, and he had good intentions, but I think he is second in the line to the throne of NYM's King Of Incomplete Projects. :toothless:

Hmmm, good point. Let's see: CTS Screen Package never fully completed (Hey, Rog, do you still have the Red Sox portion?), My so-so dynasty never amounted to anything, I made a couple of sketches for a stadium that I never got around to, and of course, this. I've actually been thinking about this lately, but I'm busier than I've been in a long time with homework and whatnot. I think though, I'll be able to find some time between this, my blog, BM Inc., my startup screens, my guitar, and peanut butter... I'll hopefully update this tommorow.

I still think "The tB-MbAMLO1IaYC interview" (top of page) is one of the best pieces of literature I've written... Well, at least, it's not bad.

Yea, I just discovered this, and I've enjoyed reading it alot.
Thank you, I think you guys have persuaded me to continue this a bit longer...

• 3 weeks later...

don't worry, it's not over! Just everytime I re-start it, something else tends to get in the way. Also, I'm kind of stuck - I'm not really sure exactly what to do. I mean, I know how I want him to develop as a player and character, but I'm not really sure what to do right now - I'm kind of anxious for him to get into pro leagues, yet I don't want him to skimp out on college... I'll have to make up my mind. :D

• 4 months later...

Thanks a lot! I know I've been slow on this all the way through, but I have an incredible amount of things even though this is still summer vacation. I have to do all my summer work for school, which I'm about 10% finished with :roll: , my blog to write (by the way check it out), practice my ax (aka my guitar), unpack from my trip, watch every single Yankee game I can watch start to finish, sleep, eat, breath, worship spoons... you get the picture. Still, I'll find time for this, maybe about a post or two a week. Stay tuned!

curtisbanner.jpg

College Baseball Profile: Curtis Graham - from the National College Baseball Reader

FULL NAME: Curtis Dell Graham

AGE, HT., WT.: 19, 6-2, 170

Born: October 1st, 1985

HOME: Cleveland, Ohio

STATUS/FAMILY: Not Married

NICKNAME: The Deli

LIFE OUTSIDE BASEBALL: Life outside baseball? What's that? Well, I love reading anything I can get my hands on, just enriching myself in... everything, really.

SPORTS HERO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG: Omar Vizquel - I also loved watching his amazing, fluid fielding, and he wasn't too bad with the bat either.

PEOPLE WHO INFLUENCED ME THE MOST/WHY: My whole family has always supported my entire baseball career no matter what, and I'm eternally grateful to them. But I also think that all my books have influenced me more specifically on how I play the game.

BEST ADVICE ANYONE EVER GAVE ME: Not specifically to me, but Willie Keeler once gave nothing but good advice: "“I keep my eyes clear and I hit 'em where they ain't.â€

PLAYERS, PAST OR PRESENT, I'D PAY TO WATCH PLAY BASEBALL: Sandy Koufax. Just a great pitcher, and amazing stuff - I wished I could've seen him in an actual game.

HOBBIES: Read, write, and play the harmonica. I read, as I said, anything I get my hands on, and I'm currently writing a realistic fiction novel about late 19th century America and I have a blog I write in frequently.

TYPE OF CAR: I drive a small little hatchback I got for my 17th birthday.

FAVORITE ACTOR/ACTRESS: Specifically Harpo Marx, but all the Marx Brothers in general. As for actress, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in "Some Like it Hot" - just kidding.

FAVORITE MOVIE: Duck Soup

FAVORITE TV SHOW: I don't watch TV. Seriously.

FAVORITE MUSIC: The Blues

FAVORITE FOOD: Sushi

FAVORITE BOOK: Total Baseball Encyclopedia. Can't get any better.

FAVORITE BALLPARK: I once got to go to a game in Wrigley Field when I was 15 - it was beautiful.

FAVORITE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM OUTSIDE OF BASEBALL: Cleveland Cavs

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Not wining the district baseball championship in my senior year of high school. I was forced to pitch (something I did rarely) in the bottom of the 16th inning and the first pitch their skinny center fielder hit the first homerun he ever hit in his whole high school career to win the game. Oh, well...

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE/WHY? The day of my Bar Mitzvah, between the kiddish and the reception, I hit a walk-off grand slam for my baseball team to cap a 9-run bottom of the 7th to win the game 10-9.

PLAYER I LEARNED THE MOST FROM: My coach, Tony Gwyn, he's taught me some invaluable advice my team playing for him.

CHARACTERISTIC I ADMIRE MOST IN A PERSON: Modesty. I can't stand some of these players nowadays who are so full of themselves.

THE MOST IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTE A BASEBALL PLAYER NEEDS: Mental strength to late the whole season, which is sometimes even more important than physical talent.

THE TRUE SIGN OF SUCCESS IS: When someone asks you for your autograph. Not a single person has asked me for one yet, so I guess I'll just have to become a better player.

IF I COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT BASEBALL IT WOULD BE: Make my Indians win a darn championship for once!

IF NOT A BASEBALL PLAYER, I WANT TO BE: Probably a writer or professor.

BEHIND MY BACK THEY SAY: I'm too much like a stick to make it.

TOUGHEST PITCHER I'VE FACED: I faced Tim Lincecum from Washington five times - struck out all five.

GAME SITUATION I'D LIKE TO BE IN: World series (be it college, minor leagues, or major league) , one out away from winning, easy slow grounder right at me.

LIFE AFTER BASEBALL: I can't think that far ahead.

MOST EMBARRASSING BASEBALL EXPERIENCE: The first college game I was in, the first ball coming at me, I misjudge it completely and I give the batter a triple. The next inning, my first at-bat, I strike out.

MY MOST MEMORABLE GAME: Also that same game - because the next at-bat I lined one past the pitchers ear into centerfield, driving in the run. It was my first taste of college ball.

End of article

Archived