Japaneses player rights

krawhitham

thats right if boston doesnt sign him he wont play in majors this year and boston gets their money back.

But, in addition, Boston loses a lot of rep in Japan, and it makes them look bad. Matsuzaka is a national hero in Japan.

Hear that, Theo? The pressure is on! Less then five days left!

Or, Seibu can alternatively have Matsuzaka work with the 2nd highest bidder rather than be returned to Japan.

Does that mean that the Lions can work with the Mets to get a deal done this year? I'm not quite following, I thought he goes back to Japan no matter what.

Does that mean that the Lions can work with the Mets to get a deal done this year? I'm not quite following, I thought he goes back to Japan no matter what.

The Mets were the second highest bidders?

Then yea, the Lions can have him work with the Mets to work out a deal, or come back to play 1 more season as a Lion, and refund all the posting fee's.

After that 1 season, he'd become an outright F/A and any and all teams could offer a contract.

He can't negotiate with any other team but the red sox unless Boston is found to be negotiating in bad faith, an that doesn't appear to be the case.

Edit:

He CANNOT sign with another team this year, it's Boston or Seibu, barring any catastrophe

He CAN be posted next year, and any team can bid on him

He CAN become a free agent in 2008 and sign with any team he wants

You couldn't find a court in the world that would find 8 mill a year in bad faith. It may be a little low, but considering that he's not a free agent and that he's never thrown a single pitch in major league ball but you'd be hard pressed to find a single arbiter who'd find it in bad faith.

Another basic part of economics is supply and demand.

The Sox are in a position where they can't demand a damn thing, they need a starter - with ace potential.

Matsuzaka is as such.

The Sox are being cheap, and are really hurting their image in Japan in the process, they have 4 days to find a happy medium between 8M and 18M.

I'm sure Matsuzaka wants his big payday, I doubt he cares what logo is on the top of his checks. He isn't stupid and neither is Boras, Gil Meche, Ted Lilly and other "average" pitchers are getting 10M+ in the open market. Now Matsuzaka isn't technically in an open market, but the laws of economics work both ways.

Mediocre starters get 10M in an open market

Matsuzaka gets 8M in a closed market

Ehrm, no. Boras isn't an idiot - I'd be in a state of genuine shock if he signed for less than 14M/yr in guaranteed money.

You're misusing economic principles to a huge extent. The free agent market is irrelevant as he is outside of the market. The price of milk going up doesn't make the price of bread go up.

Right now, the Red Sox have 5 starters I believe, so they aren't exactly in a do or die situation. This is a lose lose situation for all the members involved. The Red Sox lose out on PR in Japan, Matsuzaka is viewed as greedy by the Japanese people for refusing 2-3 times what he currently gets, Boras loses out on other Japanese players that want to enter the posting system, Seibu loses out on 51 million. It's in everyone's best interest to get a deal done. There's not one side that's going to be viewed as the bad guy, they all are.

Archived