Japaneses player rights

krawhitham

But is that worth the loss of respect he gets by going back and playing for a team that he just cost 51 million dollars? The Japanese still place a very high price on honor, something he will undoubtedly take a hit in if the deal falls through.

But is that worth the loss of respect he gets by going back and playing for a team that he just cost 51 million dollars? The Japanese still place a very high price on honor, something he will undoubtedly take a hit in if the deal falls through.

Not only that, but Boston comes up looking pretty bad too. Matsuzaka is a national hero, and it makes Boston look like they weren't even that interested in him.

No he can't, because free agents cannot be posted. If he resigns with Seibu before he is declared a free agent, then yes, he can be posted.

No you dont get it, he cannot become a MLB free agent until 2008!!! nanaman is right

and also it is smart to offer him a contract of around 8 mil a year, because he is not proven yet to play MLB ball... maybe give him an incentive-laden deal but dont pay give him 15 mil a year for someone who hasnt pitched one day in the bigs... and dont bring up the WBC, cause thats not the MLB... :thunder:

and it would also be a smart move not to sign him because now they'll give Roger Clemens any amount of money he wants to pitch for them...

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in here... so here is the ABSOLULTE, and SIMPLE facts:

1. This season (the 2007 season), only BOS can negotiate with Matsuzaka (thru his agent, of course). No other team can have anything to do with him, unless BOS is found to be negotiating in bad faith. Ngdot's assertion that $8M/yr is bad faith put aside (b/c it's rediculous) - that isn't going to happen. So it's BOS or back to Japan.

2. If he DOES go back to Japan, then the season after next season (the 2008 season), he would be a free agent. AFTER the season is over. Thus, any team could bid on him just like normal free agents, but AFTER the 2008 season.

Perhaps the confusion is coming up because people are forgetting that "this" season is 2007, and thus "next" season is 2008. He can be a free agent in 2008, to be signed to play in the 2009 season.

Summary: This year it's BOS or Japan. Next year: It's Japan if BOS doesn't sign him this year), or if he's posted AGAIN. The following year: Open season on Matsuzaka (again, unless he signs with BOS this year or a different team if he's posted a second time next year).

exactly what i was saying, he cant be a free agent until before the 2009 season

I wasn't disagreeing with you - I was just trying to clarify.

But, personally, I think all this will end up moot, b/c I think they'll get a deal done. I think this is just typical Scott Boras b/s.

Also - has anyone noticed this? I think it's hilarious:

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Matsuzaka

look at the end of the section titled "Major League transition"...

On October 24, 2006, Scott Boras was announced as Matsuzaka's agent to represent him in any contract dealings in the American Major Leagues. On November 2, Matsuzaka was officially granted permission by the Lions to pursue a career in Major League Baseball via the posting system.

On November 14, it was announced that the Boston Red Sox had won the bidding rights to Matsuzaka with a bid of $51,111,111.11. [3] [4] The Red Sox have 30 days to sign Matsuzaka to a contract. If a deal cannot be completed, Matsuzaka will return to the Lions and the bid will not be paid to the Lions. Matsuzaka would have to wait at least one more year, and could return to the Major Leagues in 2008 as a free agent. Through the posting system, Boston outbid other teams including the Texas Rangers, the New York Mets, and the New York Yankees.

"Scott Boras Sucks"

What the heck is that doing there?!

EDIT: Oh no, it's gone now! They must've caught it and removed it! However, I swear to you, it said "Scott Boras Sucks" at the bottom, completely at random. How do articles get on Wikipedia.com??? Are they user submited, or does that mean a "staff" member put that one there? lol!

Oh, and as a side note: I have read a lot about Matsuzaka... but I'd never heard the name spoken until today. lol. There's also a phonetic spelling on Wikipedia, but anyway, for anyone else who hadn't heard it yet:

Daisuke Matsuzaka is pronounced "DICE-kay Matt-Zoo-ZACK-uh"

Lol. Not trying to poke fun at all here - I literally had no clue how to pronounce it until today. Figured I'd share.

Matsuzaka will be eligible for free agency in may of 2008. Unless he signs a one month contract with Seibu he'll be stuck in Japan for the whole of the 2008 season, making him postable for next year and a free agent for the 2009 major league season.

Matsuzaka will be eligible for free agency in may of 2008. Unless he signs a one month contract with Seibu he'll be stuck in Japan for the whole of the 2008 season, making him postable for next year and a free agent for the 2009 major league season.

Is there a friggin' echo in here?

lol.

The Japanese have rules on time served take into account time on the DL, which may be the reason that he doesn't become eligible for free agency until the season starts. It's unlikely that seibu would magically buy out that last year with a one month contract, so his options are sign now, be posted again next year, or become a free agent in 2009.

Archived