Don't buy a Dell

Sean O

Hey all-

So, I got my Inspiron 6000 laptop a year and a half ago after having a disastrous experience from Compaq, expecting that it would be far more reliable. Everything was more or less ok (a few big issues, but they were solved) for the first 15 months, at which point the machine pretty much went to hell.

I couldn't run any even remotely high-powered application because the computer would overheat tremendously, forcing me to close down the application. Then I started having major power issues, going through 4 different AC adapters (and the $200 that cost) just to get it to charge. Then, even when a working AC adapter was plugged in, it would only intermittently accept charge. For the past 2 weeks I have to wedge the AC adapter plug to get it to charge at all, and even then it barely works. Right now I'm at 15% charge hoping that it'll charge long enough to write this post.

Dell support won't even speak to me about the issue, since they want to charge me to speak about something that is 100% their fault. On the dell forum I found out that it's a system board problem that happens with many Inspiron 6000s, and that it'll cost $100-$500 to fix the problem.

So, the moral is, don't ever get a dell. The company is fully aware of a major degenerative problem with their computer, and refuse to do anything about it. On top of that, my girlfriend's Inspiron 1000 is starting to develop the same problem after just a year.

With Dell, HP and Compaq off the list, I'm running out of computer companies.

Ive been speaking out about the evils of Dell to everyone I know for a few years....never ever been happy with one; whether it be laptop or desktop.

I just build my own desktops now, and I never ever have a problem this way. Biggest issue ive had is I burnt out my power supply from overloading it.

When it comes to laptops, I have an aunt "in the business", and she always highly recommended Toshiba.

Although I am an IBM'er for the past nearly 40 years I will honestly tell you that IBM laptops (now Lenovo) are the Industries best by far and have been for years. Desktops are pretty much pick and choose your vendor these days but Laptops for quality, performance and reliability are a solid IBM winner.

Yep - DELL = POC. Pi$$ed Off Consumer. It's also a pleasure to use their support where clearly a person by the name of Fardeep or Mutha passes themselves off as 'Dave' or 'Steve'.

Add Alienware to this mess too. They sell junk and have lousy support.

My son was off to his second tour in Iraq so as a going away present I bought him a Sager 3GB 21" screen laptop. Thing weighed about 22lbs. Great laptop but it had it's issues too. I bought the laptop on my platinum card so it doubled the warranty. Turned out to be very handy. Hard drive controller dropped after a year. They fixed it = extended warranty covered it and all is well.

Well good luck - stay on Dell's A$$ = sometimes they will cave and actually replace your hardware.

I have had a Dell for over 7 years and they have been the best desktop pc I have ever been associated with. I just purchased a new Dell last year and I have never had a problem in the 7 years since I've started with Dell. Mvp looks amazing on my widescreen ultra sharp 21 inch flat screen that is also from Dell.

yea, but i think they are afraid to give kraw crappy machines... they see him coming and they give him a good one.. :)

and sean, why do u hate apple?

Because every single time I have tried to use an apple since 1988, it's been a disaster. I have lost countless projects when forced to use them at work, and I can't believe the company even survived to this point.

Every single new version of Mac OS ___ has been accompanied by cries of "this is the one they get right", and it's still a total nightmare to use.

I hate the design, I hate the lack of functionality, I hate the cutesy marketing campaign, I hate how ridiculously expensive their products are for what you get, and so I hate everything about apple.

Lol, since i got my macbook in may, Tiger has never crashed once. I experience about 1 windows crash per day. Theres a learning curve to them, as far as being proficient with them. Have you actually extensively tried tiger?

Lol, since i got my macbook in may, Tiger has never crashed once. I experience about 1 windows crash per day. Theres a learning curve to them, as far as being proficient with them. Have you actually extensively tried tiger?

No, the point is, I don't need to experience tiger, since it's still made by Mac. 19 years of utter failure has taught me not to even try.

Windows XP is rock-solid for me, it's just Dell's horrible manufacturing that's causing the problems. We're not talking about Windows ME here, XP is actually functional.

Even for the things that apple is supposedly good at (images, sound and video) I've had nothing but bad luck. And when it comes to drafting, good god, what a nightmare. I'd be lucky if I could go 10 minutes without Vectorworks crashing.

well i have used alot of different computers. Let's see i have had an e-machines, hp, ibm and dell desktop and a toshiba laptop. Honestly i have never had an issue with any but the e-machines.. that is of course cuz it is old and the power supply and memory readout doesn't work anymore. Besides that no problems =)

I have had nothing but great experiences with Dells. We have three Dell that are older than 5, including one that's 8 and used daily, and two new ones that are incredible. Only one of these was a laptop, but I've never had any problems with that, so I guess some Dell models (XPS and Dimension in particular) are more reliable than others.

I have had experience with a number of Dells through my own(Dimension 8250) and friends and family. They were Dimensions also, the 8300 and 8400 and have been solid systems. My 8250 now is almost 4 years old and I have added hard drives and a new video card, Radeon X800 AGP. But I am maxed out with this motherboard as 4X AGP is it for the video and the RAM is PC1066 RDRAM and is now very expensive to upgrade, so I am stuck with 512 Megs. My system runs all the sports games great, but lags on the later FPS games.

Thus my recent purchase of a Xbox 360 and HD-DVD player to go with my 42" LCD, that also doubles as my computer monitor. So now I have the best of both worlds.:)

By the way, can't recommend the 360 setup high enough. Also upconversion on standard def DVDs is outstanding using the VGA cable with the HD-DVD player.

Sean, that's blatantly a motherboard fault. If any tech. support agent told you otherwise, they're either lying, or they were too stupid to know what tree to follow on the support tool.

If you want to take a shot at it, call Dell again and ask to speak to an L2 or a tech. lead without even dealing with the L1 agent. If the fault existed when you purchased the system, which it sounds like it did, Dell are liable for a replacement - both legally and as good customer service. The charging issue is one thing, but the overheating of the system sounds like the fan overspinning, which, again, is a motherboard fault.

If you want me to look your case up, PM me the service tag on your system and I can check what the L1's have done already.

Archived