Increasing Running Speed

ChicagoCubs720

I'm becoming very lost on how I should go about getting faster. I'm not extremely fast, but I'm not average either. I'm probably slightly faster than your average baseball player. I'm a small guy (~5'3", 125 lbs), but I can squat a lot of weight for my size (300 lbs). Do squats even increase your running speed? What about ankle weights?

Please help!

Sprinting short distances is a great way to increase speed. Try it with ankle weights, or even a parachute. Running long distances won't help very much. Also, resistance lifting, such as squats, lunges, leg extensions/curls are all a great way to build the kind of muscle you need to run faster. If you notice, sprinters are always very muscular in the bottom half, and distance runners are always lean. Having more muscular legs allows you to generate more power, which will equal greater speed, while having more lean muscle will allow your muscles to metabolize oxygen better, which will result in being able to run longer distances.

what are suicides?

btw, thanks everybody for the input :wtg:

Suicides are where you run back and forth in a gym or somewhere, and you run a different distance each time. It's a little hard to explain.

For example, let's say you are standing on the baseline (under the basket) of a basketball court. A possible suicide is to run from where you are standing to the free throw line, and then immediately turn around and run back to your origin line. Then turn around and run to the half-court line. Then run back to the origin line. Then turn around and run to the free-throw line on the other half of the court, and turn around and run back to the origin line. Then run to the other side of the court, turn around and run back to the origin line.

Try to do it as fast as you can, emphasizing on pivoting and speed.

Suicides are where you run back and forth in a gym or somewhere, and you run a different distance each time. It's a little hard to explain.

For example, let's say you are standing on the baseline (under the basket) of a basketball court. A possible suicide is to run from where you are standing to the free throw line, and then immediately turn around and run back to your origin line. Then turn around and run to the half-court line. Then run back to the origin line. Then turn around and run to the free-throw line on the other half of the court, and turn around and run back to the origin line. Then run to the other side of the court, turn around and run back to the origin line.

Try to do it as fast as you can, emphasizing on pivoting and speed.

well explained.

Suicides really help your leg muscles and speed, but after like 8 of those things, it is really tiring.

squats, calf raises for sure

I have good calfs, but really out-of-shape thigh muscles, and I'm not that athletically talented either. I'm more of a math person. (I was 2 questions away from making the AIME after taking the AMC 10 this year!!!! So frustrated, especially because I made a few stupid mistakes!)

Archived