Infield fly

superciuc

The infield fly rule applies when there are fewer than two outs, and there is a force play at third (runners on first and second base, or bases loaded.) In these situations, if a fair fly ball is hit that, in the umpire's judgment, is catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort, the batter is out regardless of whether the ball is actually caught in flight.

To build on sjbushido's perfect definition, the rule was instituted in the early days of baseball (might have been before 1900 - or very soon after) to stop position players from getting easy double plays on infield pop outs.

They used to intentionally drop the ball to get the runners by force out - and, of course, if the runners went early in anticipation of this, the fielder would catch the ball and double the runners off.

• 3 months later...

one other note: the umpire should not only yell "INFIELD FLY", they should also yell "IF FAIR". I've seen an umpire call infield fly before and the ball drop foul, in which case the batter is not automatically out.

I do have a question about this rule: Can the runners advance immediately when infield fly is called or could they still be doubled off if the ball is caught? If an extremely high pop is hit and infield fly is called, the runner would then be able to advance to the next base while the ball is in the air.

Unless they want to be doubled off, runners CAN NOT advance until a fielder catches the ball. The same rules apply for them as if it's a routine fly ball - if they leave early, they CAN be doubled off.

The rule is just there to prevent the fielders from letting it fall on purpose in order to easily get the runners on a force out.

Also, the umpires do two things in this situation (or they should if they are doing their job): they yell "infield fly if fair" AND they point straight up into the air. The point is the sign for infield fly and lets the runners and onlookers know that an infield fly has been called in case they can't be heard over the crowd.

I actually was just reading up on this when they brought it up in the Yankee game last night. Anyone who likes learning about baseball's origins should get "Game of Inches," by Peter Morris, I believe. Describes many innovations of the game. But I digress...

I couldn't exactly nail down the date, but I think it might have been the late 1880s, 1893, or maybe even 1896 when they disallowed the trap ball with the infield fly rule. When the leagues made rules for this, it was actually met with some public disdain. People had applauded trap ball plays because it was seen as a clever move by the infielder. Also remember that before gloves were used and when fields were unkempt, doing this play was recognized as one of the few advantages that a fielder had.

I actually was just reading up on this when they brought it up in the Yankee game last night. Anyone who likes learning about baseball's origins should get "Game of Inches," by Peter Morris, I believe. Describes many innovations of the game. But I digress...

I couldn't exactly nail down the date, but I think it might have been the late 1880s, 1893, or maybe even 1896 when they disallowed the trap ball with the infield fly rule. When the leagues made rules for this, it was actually met with some public disdain. People had applauded trap ball plays because it was seen as a clever move by the infielder. Also remember that before gloves were used and when fields were unkempt, doing this play was recognized as one of the few advantages that a fielder had.

Probably my favorite rule change from the "old days" is the one that prevents runners from running bases backwards. Without getting into specifics here, I just like the fact that runners used to steal first from second base in hopes of forcing the fielders and the pitcher to do something stupid (as if what they were doing wasn't...). :D

Bet that was quite a sight.

I always wondered why it isn't to be called with a runner on first. Seems to me the same thing could happen there.

EDIT: This just came to me 3 seconds after I posted that...the reason it doesn't get called is probably there is no advantage, as you have a very slim chance to pull off a double play. The batter who hit the pop up would most liekly make it to first by the time the ball came down and a throw made to second. With two guys on they both have to hold...

And I used to be such a baseball nerd, I dunno why I didn't think of that.

I always wondered why it isn't to be called with a runner on first. Seems to me the same thing could happen there...

It technically could, but you'd only get one out whether you catch it or not. With runners on first and second, you have the potential to get a double play. And, of course, with the bags juiced, the triple play is probable without the rule.

Archived