Who's On First?

lz477

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should trade for Jack Cust. He would be pretty good and he fits your "high" standards.
I thought about trading for him earlier. He was actually one of the inspirations behind this whole thing. Unfortunately, he's only 28 and didn't make the cut. Plus, I like how my outfield is performing thus far.

One good thing about the guys on my roster is that nearly all of them are utility type players and are qualified to play basically any position. Why else would I have started the year with Coste in center?

April 18th

Game 14: Braves (10-2) at Nationals (5-8)

Smith Sharp In Win Over Braves

game14ff9.jpg

Left: Danny Ardoin goes deep in the second, his sixth of the year. Right: Scott McClain hits his first long ball of the year on the very next pitch.

The Washington Nationals jumped on top of Atlanta early to hand the Braves their third loss of the season and the second from the over-achieving Nats. Travis Smith (2-1) picked up his second win of the year, giving up eight hits and striking out four in 6 2/3 innings of work. Chuck James (1-2) was saddled with the loss.

A solo home run off the bat of Chris Coste in the first and back to back drives from Danny Ardoin and Scott McClain in the second gave the Nationals an early lead. A sacrifice fly from George Lombard scored Jolbert Cabrera also in the second, which supplied Washington all the insurance it would need to hold off the Braves three run seventh inning rally.

Former National, Felipe Lopez continued his torrid hitting against his former team by going 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.

The Braves will send red hot Mike Hampton (2-0) to the mound tomorrow, while the Nationals will counter with Jason Simontacchi (1-2).

Boxscore: ATL 3 - WAS 5

League News

Pirates sign (RF) Tony Torcato for 3 years at 300K.

April 19th

Game 15: Braves (10-3) at Nationals (6-8)

Super Simontacchi Shutouts Braves

game15lg0.jpg

Jason Simontacchi got it done for the Nationals both on the mound (left) and at the plate. (right)

Nationals starter, Jason Simontacchi led the Nationals to their second straight series victory as he scattered six hits and struck out three Atlanta players over nine shutout innings. He also went 2 for 3 at the plate, including a solo home run in the fifth.

Washington added two more runs in the sixth after Carlos Mendez and Jolbert Cabrera's RBI singles off of Atlanta starter Mike Hampton, who wasn't bad himself. Hampton however was saddled with the loss, giving up just three runs over eight innings of work.

After the game Simontacchi commented on his superb performance. "I felt real good out there today." "Carlos (Mendez) called a great game and the guys behind me made some great plays defensively to help me out." And what did he have to say about providing his own offensive support? "Well, I was just trying to make solid contact and hit the ball hard somewhere and luckily for me, it went out", Simontacchi said about his fifth inning home run.

The victory puts Washington within one win of .500 and the Nationals will look to get that win Friday night, when they welcome the Phillies for another quick two game series.

Boxscore: ATL 0 - WAS 3

April 20th

Game 16: Phillies (5-9) at Nationals (7-8)

Utley Unstoppable In Defeat of Nats

game16rs9.jpg

Left: Doug Clark scores from first on a hit and run double off the bat of Jason Wood. Right: Chase Utley provided all the offense Philly needed to beat the Nats.

Philadelphia second baseman, Chase Utley hit two homeruns and knocked in five of the Phillies six runs to lead his team over the Washington Nationals, Wednesday night.

Utley's first homer came in the fourth with the Phils down 2-1. Aaron Rowand singled to start off the inning, then stole second base and scored on Ryan Howard's single. Utley then sent a Chris Michalak fastball into the Phillies bullpen in right center to give Philadelphia the 3-2 lead.

Washington tied it in the fifth after leadoff hitter Doug Clark singled and scored on a hit and run double from second baseman Jason Wood. Jolbert Cabrera gave the Nationals back the lead with his second RBI single of the game moments later.

The Phillies and their triple threats of Rowand, Howard and Utley, would strike again in the sixth. Howard and Rowand reached base with singles, setting the table perfectly for Utley's second blast to almost the exact spot as earlier, chasing Nationals starter Michalak from the game.

"I thought I could sneak a fastball by him the first time and he went yard, so I tried to finesse him in the sixth and he still took me deep." "What can I say?" "When you're hot, you're hot," Michalak said after the game about Utley's two long balls.

John Leiber picked up the victory for the Phils and Tom Gordon recorded his second save of the year. Michalak was charged with his first loss on the season.

Before Wednesday's game, the Nationals called up left fielder, Joe Dillon and optioned infielder Jorge Velandia to AAA Columbus.

"We originally thought we would have a need for an extra infielder, but with Luis (Figueroa) back from his injury, we felt Jorge would be better served playing everyday and we liked how Joe had hit the ball down in the minors."

The Phillies and the Nationals will wrap up the quick two game series tomorrow when Brett Myers (1-2) toes the rubber for Philadelphia and Marty McLeary (1-1) will be on the hill for Washington.

Boxscore: PHI 6 - WAS 4

League News

Angles sign (SP) Brian Anderson to 3 years at 1.50M

Rockies starter, Jason Hirsch out 15 days with major wrist tendonitis.

April 20th

Game 16: Phillies (5-9) at Nationals (7-8)

Utley Unstoppable In Defeat of Nats

game16rs9.jpg

Left: Doug Clark scores from first on a hit and run double off the bat of Jason Wood. Right: Chase Utley provided all the offense Philly needed to beat the Nats.

Philadelphia second baseman, Chase Utley hit two homeruns and knocked in five of the Phillies six runs to lead his team over the Washington Nationals, Wednesday night.

Utley's first homer came in the fourth with the Phils down 2-1. Aaron Rowand singled to start off the inning, then stole second base and scored on Ryan Howard's single. Utley then sent a Chris Michalak fastball into the Phillies bullpen in right center to give Philadelphia the 3-2 lead.

Washington tied it in the fifth after leadoff hitter Doug Clark singled and scored on a hit and run double from second baseman Jason Wood. Jolbert Cabrera gave the Nationals back the lead with his second RBI single of the game moments later.

The Phillies and their triple threats of Rowand, Howard and Utley, would strike again in the sixth. Howard and Rowand reached base with singles, setting the table perfectly for Utley's second blast to almost the exact spot as earlier, chasing Nationals starter Michalak from the game.

"I thought I could sneak a fastball by him the first time and he went yard, so I tried to finesse him in the sixth and he still took me deep." "What can I say?" "When you're hot, you're hot," Michalak said after the game about Utley's two long balls.

John Leiber picked up the victory for the Phils and Tom Gordon recorded his second save of the year. Michalak was charged with his first loss on the season.

Before Wednesday's game, the Nationals called up left fielder, Joe Dillon and optioned infielder Jorge Velandia to AAA Columbus.

"We originally thought we would have a need for an extra infielder, but with Luis (Figueroa) back from his injury, we felt Jorge would be better served playing everyday and we liked how Joe had hit the ball down in the minors."

The Phillies and the Nationals will wrap up the quick two game series tomorrow when Brett Myers (1-2) toes the rubber for Philadelphia and Marty McLeary (1-1) will be on the hill for Washington.

Boxscore: PHI 4 - WAS 6

League News

Angles sign (SP) Brian Anderson to 3 years at 1.50M

Rockies starter, Jason Hirsch out 15 days with major wrist tendonitis.

Just so you know you have phi-4 and was-6 and it should be the other way around. phi-6 was-4

April 21st

Game 17: Phillies (6-9) at Nationals (7-9)

Utley Strikes Again!

game17ed5.jpg

Left: Jason Wood starts the 4-6-3 double play in the sixth. Right: Chase Utley watches his ninth inning home run to give Philadelphia the lead.

With two outs in the top of the ninth, Phillies second baseman Chase Utley struck again, hitting his fifth home run of the year, the third in three days to give Philadelphia a 3-1 lead that closer Tom Gordon would hold onto in the bottom of the inning for a second straight Phillies victory over the Nationals.

Jeff Harris, charged with the loss, gave up a leadoff single in the ninth to Jimmy Rollins, then struck out Aaron Rowand and Ryan Howard, before giving up the Utley blast. Nationals starter, Marty McLeary was outstanding on the mound, giving up just one run on two hits before exiting for a pinch hitter in the bottom half of the 7th. Philadelphia's starter, Brett Myers was equally strong giving up one run over his seven innings of work as well, but Geoff Geary (1-2) picked up the win in relief, pitching a perfect eighth.

"You hate to waste such a strong outing by your starter, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess," Washington manager, Manny Acta said after the game.

Nationals shortstop, Augie Ojeda was perfect at the plate going 3-3, raising his batting average to .361. And catcher Danny Ardoin brought his average up to .321, after going 2-4.

The Nationals will now head to Florida to take on the Marlins, who swept them in the season opening series. Josh Johnson (2-1), who held Washington to two runs in his complete game performance in that series will face off against struggling Nationals ace, R.A. Dickey (0-3).

Boxscore: PHI 3 - WAS 1

League News

Mariners sign (1B) Eduardo Perez for 3 years at 200K.

I love this dynasty one of the few i'll be watching, for some reason on the 1st and 2nd page, I was like i hope he wins! waiting anxiously for the next game haha, good luck
Thanks for the encouragement. I really am enjoying playing the games and posting the results here. I wish I had more time to post updates more quickly as I find myself considering lineup possibilities and roster moves throughout the day.

April 22nd

Game 18: Nationals (7-10) at Marlins (7-9)

Marlins Maul Washington...Again!

game18sa9.jpg

Left: Mike Jacobs hits his fourth long ball of the year to put the Marlins up 2-0 in the first. Right: Chris Coste forces Miquel Cabrera out at third.

The Florida Marlins, continued their dominance over the Nationals, Friday night, as Josh Johnson pitched almost as well as he did in his first start of the season against Washington. Though the Nationals managed eight hits, Johnson held them to just two runs over his seven innings of work, to pick up his third victory of the year. Washington starter, R.A Dickey continued his struggles as he gave up five runs off of eight hits over four innings.

The Nationals only runs came off an Andy Abad double, that scored Danny Ardoin in the fourth and George Lombard's first home run of the year in the eighth.

Before Friday nights contest, Washington traded right hander, Geremi Gonzalez to Houston for lefty starter Stephen Randolph.

"We picked up Geremi at the beginning of the year expecting him to start for us, but we realized afterwards he exceeded our innings pitched limit, so we optioned him to the minors and expected to move him soon," said GM Jim Bowden about the trade. "We're excited about having another lefty starter in the organization that could move to the big club and be inserted into the starting rotation if need be." "Until that time however, Stephen will start at Columbus," Bowden added.

The Nationals will send Travis Smith (2-1) to the mound tomorrow to face the Marlins' Scott Olsen (1-1).

Boxscore: WAS 2 - FLA 6

April 23rd

Game 19: Nationals (7-11) at Marlins (8-9)

Smith Solid in Win over Fightin' Fish

game19mi5.jpg

Left: Travis Smith pitched eight shutout innings and struck out 10 Marlins' hitters. Right: Luis Figueroa was 2-4 on the day and hit his second home run of the year.

Five hits and ten strikeouts over eight shutout innings from starter, Travis Smith insured the Nationals first victory of the year over the Florida Marlins. The victory was Smith's third of the year and closer, Lee Gardner pitched a perfect ninth to pick up his fourth save on the year.

Marlins starter, Scott Olsen, charged with the loss, was almost as impressive as he also went eight innings, giving up three runs, two earned off of six hits, while striking out seven. Lead-off home runs in the third and fourth innings from Luis Figueroa and Chad Mottola were all the runs Washington would need, though they did add another run in the sixth thanks to two errors from Florida's infield.

"We finally got to them, now let's see if we can go out there and do it again tomorrow," Washington manager Manny Acta remarked after the game.

The Nationals and the Marlins will play again tomorrow as Jason Simontacchi (2-2) for Washington and Anibal Sanchez (1-1) for Florida will be on the hill for their respective teams.

Boxscore: WAS 3 - FLA 0

League News

Tigers sign (LF) Eric Young for 3 years at 300K.

April 24th

Game 20: Nationals (8-11) at Marlins (8-10)

Marlins' Massacre Nationals In Series Finale

game20bb1.jpg

Left: Josh Willingham slides under Dan Ardoin's tag in the second. Right: Anibal Sanchez pitched nine shutout innings for his second victory of the season.

Another day, another defeat for Washington at the hands of the Marlins. A complete game shutout, gave Anibal Sanchez his second victory of the year and the Marlins their fifth over the Nationals this season.

Washington starter, Jason Simontacchi was unable to duplicate his superb complete game shutout performance from earlier in the week as he gave up six runs, five earned and ten hits over five innings of work.

Six Florida starters collected two hits and only third baseman Aaron Boone didn't have at least one hit. Second baseman, Dan Uggla knocked in four of the Marlins seven runs, continuing his dominance over Nationals pitching.

The lone offensive bright spot for Washington was Augie Ojeda's 2-3 performance to raise his average to .372.

When asked if he thought Ojeda should be moved up in the batting order considering his current hot streak at the plate, Nationals manager Manny Acta said, "Augie has been hot lately, but he's been hot in the number eight spot and I don't want to disrupt that streak by moving him." "Not just yet anyway," he Acta added.

The Nationals will take the day off tomorrow and fly to Philadelphia to begin a three game series against the Phillies on Tuesday.

Boxscore: WAS 0 - FLA 7

League News

Blue Jays, Frank Thomas (DH) out 12 days with strained right ribcage.

Red Sox, David Ortiz (DH) out 12 days with inflamed right elbow.

April 26th

Game 21: Nationals (8-12) at Phillies (8-11)

Nationals Pelt Phillies

game21ut4.jpg

Left: Dave Clark raps a two run single in the second. Right: Chris Michalak delivered for Washington, picking up his second win.

Chris Michalak was on the top of his game for Washington, giving up just one run on five hits over seven innings of work, while the Nationals offense pounded Phillies starter, Jon Leiber for ten hits and seven runs to pick up their eighth victory. The win was Michalak's second of the year and Leiber's first.

Catcher, Danny Ardoin blasted his team leading seventh home run of the season for Washington and Chad Mottola and Doug Clark each knocked in two runs, both going 2-4 day the plate.

"Patience on the mound and patience at the plate has been our key thus far," Washington manager Manny Acta remarked after the victory. "We're going to keep pushing the guys to continue the improvements they've made and hopefully we'll continue to get good results."

The only National starter unable to manage a hit in the game was shortstop Augie Ojeda, who oddly enough has been the hottest Washington hitter as of late, raising his average from .125 to .340 in the last two weeks.

Game two of the series is tomorrow and will be a rematch between Nationals starter Marty McLeary and Brett Myers of Philadelphia who both pitched seven innings of one run ball last week. but neither was charged with a decision, as Chase Utley hit a two run homer in the ninth to give the Phillies a 3-1 lead and eventually the win.

Boxscore: WAS 7 - PHI 1

League News

Rockies, Cory Sullivan (OF) out 27 days with fractured right knee.

Reds, Brandon Phillips (IF) out 14 days with left hip flexor.

Archived