Who's On First?

lz477

May 10th

Game 34: Nationals (16-17) at Brewers (18-15)

Nationals Reach .500!

game34hz7.jpg

Left: Augie Ojeda lines his first homerun of the season. Right: Dave Bush curses into his glove as Chad Mottola rounds the bases after his sixth inning homer.

Washington manager Manny Acta was ejected in the third inning, but that didn't prevent his team from beating the Brewers for second straight night to put the Nationals season average at .500, with 17 wins and 17 losses.

The win came in part thanks to six shutout innings of three hit ball from starter Travis Smith and a complete effort over the last three innings from the bullpen.

The Nationals first got on the the board in the third when Chris Coste singled to score Doug Clark after he doubled earlier in the inning. Acta was then thrown out by the home plate umpire during Chat Mottola's at bat for arguing balls and strikes.

In the top half of the fifth, Augie Ojeda hit his first home run of the year to put Washington ahead 2-0. Milwaukee right fielder Geoff Jenkins left the game later that inning, after he made an outstanding head-first diving catch on a hard liner off the bat of Coste. After the game, the Brewers announced he would miss the next week due to a fractured nose.

Chad Mottola added to Washington's lead in the sixth with his eighth homerun of the season and George Lombard scored the teams fourth and final run in the seventh on a Doug Clark sacrifice fly.

The Nationals got a small scare in the top half of the ninth when Clark didn't finish a plate appearance after he fouled a ball off his ankle. An MRI after the game proved to be negative and Clark will most likely be in the lineup tomorrow. Joe Dillon pinch hit to finish the plate appearance and played right field for the last half inning.

The Brewers lone run came in the ninth after Prince Fielder tripled and scored on Damien Millers sacrifice fly.

Game three is slated for tomorrow. Masumi Kuwata (0-0) will make his first career big league start while Milwaukee will counter with Carlos Villanueva (2-3).

Boxscore WAS 4 - MIL 1

League News

White Sox sign (OF) Jorge Piedra for 3 years at 200K.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 11th

Game 35: Nationals (17-17) at Brewers (18-16)

Sweet Sweep Complete for Nationals In Japaneze Players Debut

game35ik6.jpg

Left: Masumi Kuwata dominated the Brewers in his major league debut. Right: Danny Ardoin was 3-4 on the day, including his eighth long ball of the season.

Washington starter, Masumi Kuwata looked like the pitcher that dominated the Nippon Pro league in the mid 80's and early 90's, Wednesday night. Kuwata gave up just four hits on his way to a complete game shut out in his first big league start.

Nationals catcher, Danny Ardoin not only caught Kuwata's great game, he also helped his starter out offensively by knocking in three runs on his 3-4 day with an RBI single in the first and his eight home run of the season in the third. Even Kuwata helped out his own cause by knocking in George Lombard with a single up the middle to give the Nationals their fifth and final run of the game in the fourth inning.

"We hoped he would make the most of this opportunity and he did that and more today", Nationals manager Manny Acta remarked about Kuwata's performance on the mound.

Even Brewer's hitters had good things to say about the Japanese import. "That guy has some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen", Milwaukee third baseman Corey Koskie said. "Everyone has been talking about (Daisuke) Matsuzaka, but we saw him in spring training and he didn't have near the stuff we saw from (Kuwata) today." "I mean it was impossible to pick up his stuff, just nasty," Koskie added.

The Nationals will take Thursday off before they head back home to begin their longest stretch of consecutive games, starting Friday with the Marlins. Their next off day will be Monday, May 30th after 17 straight games.

Boxscore: WAS 5 - MIL 0

May 13th

Game 36: Marlins (14-21) at Nationals (18-17)

Four Run Ninth For Nationals Fourth Straight

game36rq8.jpg

Left: Josh Willingham watches his third inning homerun give the Marlins a 3-1 lead. Right: Scott McClain hits his second homer of the day, to give the Nationals the victory in the bottom of the ninth.

Scott McClain led the Nationals offense Friday night by blasting his second and third home runs of the season. The first came in the second to give Washington a 1-0 lead. The second came with two outs in the bottom of the ninth with the Nationals down by a score of 4-3, catcher, Danny Ardoin standing at first base. McClain's home run not only completed a four run ninth inning off Marlins closer Kevin Gregg to give Washington the victory, but it also help put the Nationals season record two games over .500 (19-17) for the first time this year.

"What a way to win a ball game," Nationals manager, Manny Acta said after the game. "It feels great to finally get a game over that .500 mark and even better to do it against a team that has given us fits since the opening series this season." "Obviously, it's still early and we've got a lot of baseball left, but I'm really proud of the improvements these guys have made over the last couple of weeks," Acta added.

The Marlins first took the lead when Josh Willingham and Miquel Olivo hit back to back home runs of Nationals starter, Chris Michalak in the sixth to put Florida up 4-1.

The Marlins brought on Gregg to close it out in then ninth, but a leadoff single from George Lombard, followed by Chris Coste's 11th double of the season, after Jolbert Cabrera struck out, put the Nationals on the board for the first time since McClain's second inning homer. Chad Mottola then flew out for the second out of the inning, before Ardoin's RBI single to make the score 4-3. McClain then placed a Gregg 0-1 fastball into the left field bullpen for his second homer of the game and give the Nationals the victory.

"I was just going to wait for my pitch and hope he threw me a fastball middle in so I could get into it and he did just that on the second pitch," McClain said about his game-winning blast. "I saw it and I hit it, simple as that."

The victory provides a high note to start the beginning of 17 consecutive games the Nationals will play til the end of the month.

"Everybody said it was going to be a long summer for us, but I'm having more fun than I ever have," Ardoin said after the game. "We're over .500 now and on a roll, look out Atlanta, the Nationals are coming for ya."

Florida and Washington will meet again Saturday night when Josh Johnson (3-3) will start against the Nationals Marty McLeary (2-3).

Boxscore: FLA 4 - WAS 5

League News

Astros, Brandon Backe (SP) out for the season with torn knee ACL.

Mets, Oliver Perez (SP) out 34 days with a concussion.

Devil Rays, Ronnie Belliard (2B) out 8 days with inflamed left elbow.

Twins, Juan Rincon (SP) suspended 6 games.

May 14th

Game 37: Marlins (14-22) at Nationals (19-17)

McLeary Crashes Marlins Party

game37xl3.jpg

Marty McLreary crashes into Florida catcher, Jesus Flores in the second inning. McLeary was called out, but Flores left the game after the collision.

Marty McLeary pitched 5 1/3 innings of one run three hit ball, knocked in one of Washington's three runs and even took out Florida catcher, Jesus Flores in a collision at home plate to lead the Nationals to it's fifth straight victory.

The two player crash occurred in the second inning after McLeary doubled to score Jolbert Cabrera, then was thrown out at the plate trying to score on a Doug Clark single. George Lombard managed to cross the plate before McLeary collided with the Marlins backup catcher, Flores. Flores, a former National held onto the ball, but injured his shoulder in the process and left the game. Afterwards, the Marlins announced he will miss a week with an inflamed right shoulder. Meanwhile, McLeary dusted himself off and went out the next half-inning and struck out the side.

"That's pretty impressive that between two guys, one wearing body armor and the other nothing but a cotton uniform, that the guy not wearing anything comes out unscathed, while the guy in gear leaves the game," Nationals third baseman and backup catcher, Chris Coste said about the crash. "Don't get me wrong, Marty's a big guy and Flores is a skinny tooth pick compared to him." "I mean I wouldn't want him running into me," Coste added.

For the record, McLeary is listed as 6-3, 225 poounds, while Flores is 6-1, 185 pounds.

Florida tried to get back into the game down 2-1 in the sixth when Jeremy Hermedia hit his fifth home run of the season. The Nationals tacked on a third run in the seventh when Lombard scored on a sinking liner to left of the bat of Doug Clark, that Carl Everett couldn't get to despite a diving attempt. The Marlins scored again in the ninth when Miguel Cabrera took Lee Gardner deep for his fourth home run of the year to cut the lead to one, but failed to do anything else in the inning off Gardner and lost 3-2.

Leading the charge offensively for Washington was Lombard, who was 2-3 with and RBI and two runs scored, while Coste was 4-4 on the day.

The Marlins, Josh Johnson pitched well giving up three runs over his seven innings of work. He did however give up 11 hits to the Nationals in route to his fourth loss of the season.

The series finale will be tomorrow afternoon when Scott Olsen (2-2) will make the start for Florida and Stephen Randolph (1-0) will toe the rubber for the Nationals.

Boxscore: FLA 2 - WAS 3

The guys actually wear a polyester blend uniform...

You are playing well with this rag tag bunch of no names... Keep it up.

I know that and you know that...but would Chris Coste? :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for watching.

May 15th

Game 38: Marlins (14-23) at Nationals (20-17)

Marlins Comeback To Catch Nationals

game38di4.jpg

John Gall goes deep in the eighth to give the Marlins a 3-2 lead and rally the Florida dugout.

It was a battle of the south paws as left handed starter, Scott Olsen led the Marlins into Washington to take on lefty Stephen Randolph and the Nationals. Florida got to Randolph right off the bat as Hanley Ramirez lead-off the game with a triple. The Marlins failed to score in that first set however, has Randolph then struck out the Florida side to get out of the inning unscathed.

In the third Randolph helped out his own cause by knocking in the first run of the game on a single that scored right fielder, Joe Dillon. George Lombard added a sacrifice fly later in the inning to give Washington the 2-0 lead.

Florida then began their comeback in the seventh when Alfredo Amezaga tripled and scored on Carl Everett's sacrifice fly. Ramirez then homered to left center to tie it 2-2 to chase Randolph from the game. Nationals first baseman, Scott McClain left in the same inning after making a diving stop at first base. An MRI after the game reveled a nose fracture that will keep McClain out for a few days.

In the eighth, first baseman, Jon Gall knocked his third hit of the game when he homered off Bryan Corey to put the Marlins up 3-2. Kevin Gregg then came on in the ninth to secure the win and pick up his sixth save of the season. Jorge Julio picked up the win and Corey was charged with the loss.

The Nationals are now four games out of first in the National League East behind the Atlanta Braves. Washington will welcome the Braves to town for a four game series Monday night.

Boxscore: FLA 3 - WAS 2

May 16th

Game 39: Braves (24-14) at Nationals (20-18)

Homer Each For The Jones Boys Not Enough As Nationals Top Braves

game39hh5.jpg

Left: Chipper Jones watches his second inning homer fly over the left field wall. Right: Luis Figueroa makes a great play on a Edgar Renteria liner to prevent a run from scoring.

Washington got to Atlanta starter, Mike Hampton early and held onto their lead to pull to within three games of the Braves in the NL East standings. Three RBI singles, all to center field from Chris Coste, Chad Mottola and Augie Ojeda gave Washington an early 3-0 lead in the first.

Chipper Jones hit his sixth long ball of the year in the second and the other Jones, Andruw added his sixth homerun of the season in the fourth to cut the Nationals lead to two.

Washington added two more runs in the fourth and seventh to provide enough insurance for the 6-3 victory. Travis Smith picked up his team leading sixth win of the year, while Mike Hampton was charged with his second loss.

Jolbert Cabrera was 4-4 and scored three runs in the game and Chris Coste was 3-4 with two RBI and a run scored. Chad Mottola also knocked in two runs in route to his 2-4 day.

Before Monday's game, the Nationals called up (1B) Andy Tracy and optioned Alan Zinter (1B) back down to AAA Columbus. Zinter had gone hitless in 8 at bats since he was called back up after struggling at the plate earlier in the year. Though the Nationals are desperate to find a left handed bat to come off the bench for pinch hitting duties, Tracy hadn't faired much better in the minors than Zinter. At the time of his call up, Tracy was hitting .247 with seven home runs and 10 RBI.

"Right now we're just looking for any body who might provide some pop," Nationals GM, Jim Bowden said. "If we have to call up every left handed bat from the minors before we find the right fit for this need, then we'll do it." "Obviously, no one has really stepped up, so let the revolving door begin," Nationals manager Manny Acta added about the teams need for a left handed pinch hitter.

The Braves and Nationals will duke it out again tomorrow night when Lance Cormier (3-3) starts for Atlanta against Japanese import Masumi Kuwata (1-0).

Boxscore: ATL 3 - WAS 6

League News

Phillies, Cole Hamels (SP) out 23 days with tendonitis of achilles.

how come in the pictures of shea, its not modded?

I'm not using the '07 Mod, just the many modifications I've downloaded over the last couple of years. I thought I had an updated Shea, but when I re-installed the game before I started this dynasty, I may have left it off by accident. Not sure how I missed that, but thanks for the catch. I'll check it out and you can be certain the Mets will have a nice new modified stadium the next time I visit New York. Thanks again.

May 17th

Game 40: Braves (24-15) at Nationals (21-18)

Nationals Rally Late To Over Take Braves

game40vm6.jpg

Left: George Lombard can't field Willie Harris' single, allowing the Braves lone run to score. Right: Atlanta manager, Bobby Cox displays his frustration as his team dropped their second straight game to the Nationals.

A three run eighth inning led by Augie Ojeda's two run single was enough for Nationals closer, Lee Gardner to shut out the Braves in the ninth for a 3-1 victory.

Atlanta's lone run came in the third when Braves starting pitcher, Lance Cormier scored after center fielder, George Lombard booted a Willie Harris single. The Braves held onto that one run lead until the eighth when Ojeda's single knocked in Joe Dillon and Doug Clark. Washington added another run for insurance when Ojeda scored on Danny Ardoin's RBI single after Chad Mottola doubled.

Masumi Kuwata, starting for Washington, did not factor in the decision, but his seven strong innings of four hit one run ball kept the Nationals in contention, before Ojeda's two run single after Kuwata exited allowed the Nationals eighth inning pitcher, Bryan Corey to pick up his first win of the year.

The Nationals got some bad news in the fifth when second baseman, Jason Wood left the game after a diving attempt at a Felipe Lopez ground ball single hit back up the middle.

After the game it was announced that Wood had a torn knee ACL and would miss the rest of the season. The Nationals manager, Manny Acta characterized Wood by saying, "He's one of this team's leaders." "He started off red hot and had slacked off a bit here lately, but he was still an important presence both in the clubhouse and on the field," Acta said. "He's going to be missed."

Immediately following the win, Washington placed Wood on the DL and called up Matt Erickson from AAA Columbus. Erickson had a combined batting average of .287 with 7 RBI between Tuscon and Columbus.

The Braves and the Nationals will play game three of the four game series tomorrow night as John Smoltz (5-2) and Chris Michalak (4-1) will start for their respective teams.

Boxscore: ATL 1 - WAS 3

League News

Diamondbacks trade © Orlando Mercado to Rangers for (RP) Michael Bumstead.

May 18th

Game 41: Braves (24-16) at Nationals (22-18)

Nationals Win Again To Pull Within One Victory Of Braves

game41kg2.jpg

Left: Matt Erickson was 2-3 in his season debut Wednesday. Right: The Nationals celebrate their third straight victory over the division leading Braves.

Two rally killing double plays prevented Atlanta from doing any damage offensively and allowed Washington to win it's third straight against the division leading Braves.

Nationals starter, Chris Michalak gave up just one run and nine hits over eight innings while striking out four in route to his fifth win of the year. Michalak even provided all the offense Washington would need by knocking in two runs with an RBI single in the fourth. Lee Gardner closed it out in the ninth for his 12 save of the year.

Washington scored it's first run in the first when Chris Coste hit his 14th double of the season to plate Doug Clark who hit the first of his two doubles earlier in the inning.

In the fourth, Atlanta loaded the bases, but failed to score when Craig Wilson hit into an inning-ending double play. Then Michalak knocked in Chad Mottola and Andy Abad with his single in the Nationals half of the inning to give Washington a 3-0 lead.

The Braves got on the board in the fifth when Jeff Francoeur scored on Edgar Renteria's two out single. Atlanta had another run scoring opportunity in the seventh, but failed to put any more on the board when Willy Aybar hit into another inning-ending double play. The Braves never got another runner in scoring position and went quietly in the eighth and ninth.

"The infield made two really good plays to help get Chris (Michalak) out of jam today," Nationals manager Manny Acta commented after the game. "I guess it's true what they say, that the double play is the pitchers best friend."

The Braves and Nationals will wrap up the four game series tomorrow night. Tim Hudson (5-2) will toe the rubber for Atlanta, while Washington, needing just one win to tie the Braves for National League East lead will send Marty McLeary (3-3) to the hill.

Boxscore: ATL 1 - WAS 3

League News

Yankees sign (RP) Dan Miceli for 3 years at 900K.

Mariners sign (SP) Jose Lima for 3 years at 1.60M.

I don't know if I've posted in your thread or not, Iz, but I've been reading along for awhile now.

I'm loving this dynasty.

Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Joe. I must say I am having a ball with this team. I only wish I had more time in the day to put just a little more into it and update more often.

Thanks Joe. I must say I am having a ball with this team. I only wish I had more time in the day to put just a little more into it and update more often.

Still, you're capturing the 'team' in your updates. The writeups are excellent, and your presentation is solid.

Very nice, how can't you like this team? :)

Still, you're capturing the 'team' in your updates. The writeups are excellent, and your presentation is solid.

Very nice, how can't you like this team? :)

Yeah, man, this is just terrific. The graphics aren't amazing like Joe Rudi's or Redsox's, but they are good, and this is fun to watch. Keep it up!

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the positive feedback and support. Those type of comments are what make posting dynasties all the more enjoyable.

May 19th

Game 42: Braves (24-17) at Nationals (23-18)

Braves Win In Extras To Prevent Sweep

game42qh9.jpg

Left: Manny Acta and Danny Ardoin talk with Marty McLeary on the mound in the fourth. Right: Willie Harris's 11th inning homerun put the Braves up for good.

It took 11 innings, two run-preventing outfield assists and a strong effort by Atlanta's bullpen to prevent from being swept by the NL east's hottest team Thursday afternoon, as the Braves pulled out a 2-1 win over the Nationals.

The Braves got on the board early against the home team Nationals, as Atlanta leadoff hitter Edgar Renteria singled, stole second and then scored on Andruw Jones' double in the first. Washington couldn't respond in the later half of the inning when Augie Ojeda was thrown out at home by outfielder Willie Harris when he tried to score on Chris Coste's single.

In the second, the Nationals failed to score again when Jolbert Cabrera was gunned down at the plate by Andruw Jones when he tried to score on George Lombard's single.

Washington finally got on the board in the fifth, when Lombard scored on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Andy Abad to tie the game at 1-1.

The Nationals, who have struggled defensively at times this year, got into trouble again in the ninth when Harris and Felipe Lopez both reached base on back to back errors by shortstop Augie Ojeda. Chad Mottola temporarily saved the day for Washington, has he threw out Harris from left field when he tried to score on Jeff Francoeur's single. Jim Crowell then induced a fly ball out from Renteria to get out of the inning unscathed.

Atlanta threatened again in the tenth when Matt Diaz and Brian McCann each singled to start the inning with the meat of the Braves order due up. Both runners advanced to second and third after Andruw Jones grounded out to first, but failed to score as Chad Paronto induced ground balls from both Chipper Jones and Craig Wilson to end the inning.

Washington's success was short-lived however as Harris homered to right field to lead-off the 11th and give the Braves a 2-1 lead. Lopez doubled in the next at bat, but failed to score. Lombard started the Nationals half of the inning by drawing a walk from Atlanta closer, Luis Ayala, who came out in the 11th for his third inning of work. Recent call-up, Matt Erickson then struck out pinch hitting for Paronto. Doug Clark then singled to center, but Lombard got caught in a rundown and eventually tagged out when he tried to advance to third. Augie Ojeda then grounded out to Lopez to end the game.

After the game Nationals manager Manny Acta commented on his team's base running blunders saying, "Obviously we've learned our lesson that you don't run on Atlanta's outfield." "Unfortunately, we learned that the hard way." "I really think George (Lombard) would have made it to third that last inning if he hadn't hesitated," Acta added. "That's what these guys have got to learn, is that at this level you cannot hesitate, because the slightest mistake could cost you."

Despite the loss, the Nationals are still four games over .500 and are now just two games behind the Braves. Washington will welcome inter-league rival Baltimore, to RFK Stadium tomorrow to begin the weekend series that will see President George W. Bush throw out the ceremonial first pitch in Sunday's contest.

Boxscore: ATL 2 - WAS 1

League News

Blue Jays sign (SP) Carlos Hernandez for 3 years at 900K.

May 20th

Game 43: Orioles (19-23) at Nationals (23-19)

Washington Can't Hold On To Early Lead And Drop Inter-League Series Opener

game43xm8.jpg

Left: Doug Clark reaches first on a bunt single in the sixth. Right: Melvin Mora's two run single in the eighth ties it and puts the Orioles ahead.

Baltimore came out on top in the first game of the weekend inter-league series between the Orioles and the Washington Nationals Friday night. Jaret Wright picked up the victory for Baltimore, giving up two runs off five hits and striking out two in seven innings of work. The Nationals starter, Stephen Randolph was charged with his first loss of the season after he gave up four runs, three earned and eight hits over seven innings.

Washington drew first blood when they scored two runs in the sixth. Randolph doubled and scored on Jolbert Cabrera's RBI single. Doug Clark, laid down a bunt single after Randolph's double, then scored on Chad Mottola's sacrifice fly two batters later.

The Orioles then got on the board in the top half of the seventh thanks to Kevin Millar's third homerun of the season. Melvin Mora's two run single in the eighth gave Baltimore a 3-2 lead, before Miguel Tejada's sacrifice fly scored Mora for an added insurance run after Mora advanced to third on Nick Markakis doubled.

The Nationals started a rally in the bottom of the ninth when Mottola and Andy Abad both singled, but Scott McClain's ground ball double play squashed any comeback attempt. Matt Erickson then flew out to end the game

Doug Clark continued his hot streak at the plate going 3-4 with his 13th double of the season and a run scored.

The Orioles and the Nationals will play game two of the three game series tomorrow. Adam Loewen (3-3) is scheduled to make the start for Baltimore, while the Nationals will counter with Travis Smith (6-2).

Boxscore: BAL 4 - WAS 2

League News

Angels sign © Brad Cresse for 3 years at 100K.

Archived