Who's On First?

lz477

I'm about to start posting a dynasty in a similar genre of xiberger's "Golden Boys". Rather than a team full of 40 year old current or former All-Stars, I've pieced together a group of average Joe's and or career minor leaguers. Guys with limited big league action and little hope of seeing a large amount of major league exposure anytime soon.

The only stipulations are that all players on the big league roster be at least 30 (or will be 30 in 2007) and have less than a full season (162 games total) of service time in the majors. It did prove difficult to find a large number of unsuccessful pitchers with little time in the "bigs" still grinding it out in the minors, so my only stipulation for them other than their age, was that they have less than 300 innings of work in the majors. There were of course a couple of exceptions to the rule, but I don't think anyone would be crying foul over someone like Augie Ojeda making the team with about 170 total games of time in the majors.

I'm using the Washington Nationals, because I figured they were basically a group of average Joe's already and replacing their mostly no name roster with even more no names wouldn't make much of a difference. Plus, the few star players they have wouldn't drastically change the dynamic of another team when I traded them for scrubs.

To assemble my team I traded away all of the Nationals and the large majority of the AAA affiliate Columbus Clippers, to various teams for their career minor leaguers or eternal bench warmers. I won't post a comprehensive list of where every former National went, but for those few notables...

(3B) Ryan Zimmerman and (1B) Nick Johnson traded to Houston

(SP) John Patterson and (RP) Chad Cordero traded to Toronto

(2B) Felipe Lopez and (RP) Luis Ayala traded to Atlanta

(RF) Austin Kerns and (CF) Ryan Church traded to Milwaukee

© Brian Schneider traded to St. Louis

(RP) Ryan Wagner traded to Los Angeles Dodgers

(SS) Christian Guzman traded to Cleveland

(SP) Pedro Astacio and (SS) D'Angelo Jimenez trade to Philadelphia

Here are screen shots of my roster.

Starting Lineup:

hittersnk5.jpg

Pitching Rotation:

pitchersvs8.jpg

Jeff Harris and Jeff Johnson are my two long relievers, but they are in a different spot on the picture just so I could get them in with the same screen shot.

Please bare with me as this is my first attempt at a dynasty and though I hope to keep it updated as much as possible, my schedule may keep me from posting as little as a game or two a week. I also hope that xiberger won't mind me giving my best try at posting results in a similar fashion to the way he did his.

I'll post the first game soon and we'll see how long I can stand playing with a bunch of 4-A stars.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments guys. You may be right about me getting knocked around all season, but I am still going to play on MVP with my own sliders.

If I feel like it's going to be hopeless, I'll turn things down a notch and see how that plays. The way I look at it, any team can win on any given day. That's the beauty of baseball.

You're definately going to lose if you keep Chris Coste in CF.

You're right, I definitely need to find someone with a little more speed, as I don't have a true centerfielder or leadoff hitter. (I think Chad Mottola is my fastest player) Coste seemed to be the best suited player for that position based on what I had to choose from at the time.

We'll see.

Keep Coste. I think your 3B second position may be outfield if I remember right.

Actually i think his 2nd position is a Catcher.

I would move Mottola to Center, and Abad to left. (as they both got experience in those positions)

Should be interesting..I'll try and follow this dynasty

Actually i think his 2nd position is a Catcher.

I would move Mottola to Center, and Abad to left. (as they both got experience in those positions)

Should be interesting..I'll try and follow this dynasty

Okay - I wasn't sure. I had remembered a IF Bautista with a second position as OF so I thought it was him.

April 4th

Game1: Marlins (0-0) at Nationals (0-0)

Opening Day Ouch!

game1yq4.jpg

Left: Chris Coste connects on the first of his 2 homers on the day. Right: Dan Uggla was 5 for 6 with 2 homeruns and 7 runs batted in.

If the first half inning of Washington's opening game with Florida is any indication of the future, it is going to be a long season for the new-look Nationals. But then again, all of baseball pretty much expected that anyway. Florida came out firing on all cylinders against Nationals starter R.A. Dickey, putting 2 runs on the board before the fans in the stands could get in their seats good. The Marlins leadoff hitter Hanley Ramirez doubled into left field on the first pitch of the game. Dan Uggla then followed that up with the first of his two homeruns on the day, a rocket off of the upper deck facade on the very next pitch. The Marlins didn't look back and when the smoke finally cleared they walked away with a 16-5 victory, highlighted by Uggla's five hit 7 RBI performance.

There were however a few bright spots for Washington, as centerfielder, Chris Costi had a 4 for 5 day including two line drive homeruns and knocked in three of the Nationals five runs. The Marlins big win didn't come without some bad news however, as third baseman Miguel Cabrera, the centerpiece of Florida's offense, left after he doubled in the 3rd inning with a pulled hamstring and will be out 6-7 days.

After the game, manager Manny Acta briefly spoke with reporters saying, "Obviously, our pitchers struggled today, but I think we have some nice pieces to work with. We did manage 12 or 13 hits off of a really good pitcher, so if we can get our pitching and defense to the same place our hitters are we might string together a few wins and surprise some people."

Game 2 of the 3 game series is Tuesday night. Josh Johnson is scheduled to pitch for Florida, while the Nationals will counter with Travis Smith.

Boxscore: FLA 16 WAS 5

League News

Marlins sign (OF) Carl Everett to 3 years at 400K.

Angels sign (SP) Roger Clemens to 2 years at 4.70M.

Dontrelle Willis goes 3-5

looks go so far Coste doing pretty good hitting

Yea, Dontrelle out hit most of my starters and also struck out 10. He did however, leave some phat pitches over the plate. Hence the three homeruns.

Hitting isn't going to be a problem, but pitching obviously is.

Yea, Dontrelle out hit most of my starters and also struck out 10. He did however, leave some phat pitches over the plate. Hence the three homeruns.

Hitting isn't going to be a problem, but pitching obviously is.

Trade for some others guys such as Shawn Estes from San Diego or someone else such as a Kip Wells of St.Louis. They're not all too much, but they will surely perform well for you.

Trade for some others guys such as Shawn Estes from San Diego or someone else such as a Kip Wells of St.Louis. They're not all too much, but they will surely perform well for you.

The only stipulations are that all players on the big league roster be at least 30 (or will be 30 in 2007) and have less than a full season (162 games total) of service time in the majors. It did prove difficult to find a large number of unsuccessful pitchers with little time in the "bigs" still grinding it out in the minors, so my only stipulation for them other than their age, was that they have less than 300 innings of work in the majors.

I don't know Estes or Wells' exact career numbers, but I'm fairly convident they exceed the conditions for making the team.

But on the subject of Kip Wells, I'm going to go ahead and put it out there I think he is the next Chris Carpenter and Jeff Suppan of the St. Louis Cardinals this year.

April 5th

Game 2: Marlins (1-0) at Nationals (0-1)

Johnson's Complete Leads Marlins Over Nats

game2xy2.jpg

Left: Alan Zinter's homerun was nearly all the offense the Nationals could muster off of Marlins, Josh Johnson, right.

The Nationals made losing look a little more respectable when they dropped their second straight game to the Marlins Tuesday night by a score of 6-2.

Josh Johnson threw the complete game for Florida giving up just 2 runs on 6 hits. Leading the way offensively for the Marlins was first baseman Mike Jacobs going 3 for 4, with 2 homeruns and a double.

"A loss is a loss, but I suppose if I had a choice, I'd rather get beat by 4 runs than 11," Nationals manager Manny Acta said in comparing Tuesday's lose with Monday's.

Washington and Florida will wrap up their 3 game series tomorrow with Jason Simontacchi going to the mound for the Nationals and lefty Scott Olsen for the Marlins.

Boxscore: FLA 6 WAS 2

League News

Red Sox sign (P) Paul Wilson to 3 years at 1.80M.

April 6th

Game 3: Marlins (2-0) at Nationals (0-2)

Marlins Finish Sweep of Nationals

game3rt5.jpg

Left: Chris Costi connects on his third homerun of the season. Right: Hanley Ramirez slides safely into third for his third triple of the series.

A valiant effort by Washington could not prevent Florida from completing the 3 game series sweep over the Nationals, Wednesday. Jason Simontacchi had the best outing of any Washington starter thus far in the young season, holding Florida to just two hits through the first 3 innings, before giving up three runs on as many hits in the 4th. The Marlins big inning was capped by Jeremy Hermida's two-run triple. Hermida would later homer in the top half of the 9th, his third of the season.

One other bright spot for the Nationals was the 2nd through 5th spot in the lineup, who went a combined 7 for 17 (.412) on the day. The number three hitter, Chris Costi, was the most impressive, slugging his third homerun of the season in a 3 for 4 outing.

Washington manager, Manny Acta remained positive saying, "We're getting plenty of hits, but we've got to figure out a way to get more of them in bunches." "A hit here and a hit there doesn't matter, unless you get several of them in a row to put some runs up on the board."

Washington will welcome a young Arizona Diamondbacks team on Thursday to begin a four game series, sending Marty McLeary to the mound to face Arizona lefty, Doug Davis.

Boxscore: FLA 5 WAS2

League News

Phillies sign (SP) Aaron Small for 3 years at 1.60M

Devil Rays sign (SS) Damian Jackson for 3 years at 200K.

Blue Jays first baseman, Lyle Overbay out 57 days with a torn right shoulder muscle.

Archived