Who's On First?

lz477

April 7th

Game 4: Diamondbacks (2-1) at Nationals (0-3)

Davis Dazzling In Game 1

game4wb2.jpg

Left: A close play at first and an argument later led to Manny Acta's early ejection. Right: Chris Young slides into third for a triple.

Arizona starter Doug Davis threw the second complete game of the season against the Nationals, holding them to a run and 3 hits, while striking out 8.

Arizona's offense wasn't much more forgiving, knocking around Nationals starter, Marty McLeary for 7 runs off of 13 hits the first 5 1/3 innings. Diamondbacks third baseman, Chad Tracy, highlighted the thrashing with two doubles and a homerun.

Jolbert Cabrera and Chris Costi partnered up for back to back doubles in the 7th to give Washington it's loan run of the game.

Frustration seemed to set in for Nationals manager Manny Acta, who was ejected in the 4th after arguing several questionable calls by the umpiring crew. Acta was not available for comment immediately following the game.

R.A. Dickey will make his second start of the year tomorrow, while the Diamondbacks will counter with Edgar Gonzalez.

Boxscore: ARZ 9 WAS 1

League News

Athletics starting pitcher, Esteban Loaiza out 14 days with an inflamed left shoulder.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 8th

Game 5: Diamondbacks (3-1) at Nationals (0-4)

Nationals Pick Up First Win!

game5nj6.jpg

Left: R.A. Dickey K's Stephen Drew on a check swing. Right: Chad Tracey connects in the 4th for a 3 run homer.

An exciting back and forth ended with Washington a winner for the first time this year. Thanks in part to a 2 homerun, 3 for 4 day by catcher Danny Ardoin, the Nats came away with the 5-4 win. Ardoin's second homer, a two run shot off of Arizona starter, Edgar Gonzalez, tied it 4-4 in the 6th. Then in the bottom half of the 8th, Chad Mottola gave the Nationals the lead with his first long ball of the season. "As soon as he hit it I knew it was gone", said Nationals reliever Micah Bowie, who picked up the win.

Even Nationals starter, R.A. Dickey got in on the scoring by giving the Nationals there first lead of the year, when he hit a bloop single into rightfield to score Ardoin in the 2nd. Dickey also faired better on the mound after the shellacking he took from the Marlins on opening day, striking out 9 over 6 innings of work. He still, however, managed to give up 4 runs on the day, all of them coming off of the bat of Chad Tracy.

"Maybe we'll figure out how to get that guy out before the end of the series, but as long as he's the only one knocking in runs, and we're picking up W's, he can hit all he wants," Nationals manager Manny Acta commented about Tracy's second straight three hit performance.

After the game the Nationals made a plethora of organizational moves, including calling up former Atlanta Braves prospect, George Lombard from AA Harrisburg and optioning first baseman, Larry Barnes to AAA Columbus. "George is going to give us some much needed speed in the outfield and at the top of our lineup," Acta commented.

Washington also made a bold move financially by resigning nearly all of the players on the big league and AAA roster to new contracts. "Most of our guys, especially those here in Washington were still on lower level minor league contracts and we felt it was only fair to reward our guys monetarily," Washington GM Jim Bowden said. (That and the fact there's a major league minimum wage.)

Game 3 of the 4 game series is tomorrow when reining NL Cy Young winner Brandon Webb will be make the start for Arizona, while the Nationals send Travis Smith to the mound.

Boxscore: WAS 5 ARZ 4

League News

Cubs sign (1B) Phil Nevin for 3 years at 200K.

Devil Rays sign (3B) Jose Hernandez for 3 years at 100K.

Athletics reliever, Kiko Calero out 48 days with a fractured ankle.

April 9th

Game 6: Diamondbacks (3-2) at Nationals (1-4)

D-Backs Score Big, Late to Down Nationals

game6ji1.jpg

Left: Miguel Montero slides under Danny Ardoin's tag, for the D-backs first run. Right: Ardoin goes yard a third time in 2 days.

A four run, ninth inning and another 3 hit day for Chad Tracy, gave Washington their 5th loss of the year Saturday. Tracey's RBI double in the 8th off of Brian Sikorski gave Arizona a 2-1 lead. The Diamondbacks then added four additional run in the top half of the 9th for the final nail in the coffin. Nationals manager, Manny Acta, was ejected for the second time in three games in the bottom of the third after arguing a close play at first base.

Nationals shortstop, Luis Figueroa, came up lame running to second after doubling in the 5th. An MRI after the game reveled a mild MCL strain. He'll miss 7-10 days, but will not go on the DL according to Nationals GM, Jim Bowden. Defensive wiz, Augie Ojeda, is expected to get the primary amount of starts at shortstop in Figueroa's absence.

The fourth and final game of the series will be tomorrow when Randy Johnson toes the rubber for the D-Backs and Jason Simontacchi goes for the Nationals.

Boxscore: ARZ 6 - WAS 1

April 10th

Game 7: Diamondbacks (4-2) at Nationals (1-5)

Three From Mottola Leads Rout of Backs

game7ts7.jpg

Left: Chad Mottola smacks one of his three homers on the day. Right: Jolbert Cabrera hits is second dinger of the year, one of five on the day for Washington.

Jason Simontacchi and Jeff Harris held the D-backs to a combined seven hits and no runs and Chad Mottola went a perfect 4 for 4, hitting three solo home runs to lead Washington to a 7-0 victory, over future Hall of Famer Randy Johnson, Sunday.

"I was just seeing the ball real well today and just looking to make solid contact on each swing," Mottola said after the game. "It was just one of those days where I felt my swing was right where wanted it to be, so I'm going to try to keep it there."

When asked about the keys to the Nationals second win of the year, Washington manager Manny Acta said, "We were finally able to shut down Tracey (Diamondbacks 3rd baseman, Chad Tracy.)" "Plus the four ground ball double plays they hit into and the five home runs we hit, didn't hurt either."

Before the game the Nationals called up catcher, Carlos Mendez, and optioned the struggling Alan Zinter to AAA Columbus.

The Nats will travel to Atlanta tomorrow to begin a three game series against the undefeated Braves, Tuesday.

Boxscore: ARZ 0 - WAS 7

League News

Braves sign © Javier Lopez to 2 years at 200K.

April 12

Game 8: Nationals (2-5) at Braves (6-0)

Braves Beat Nats To Stay Undefeated

game8zq8.jpg

Left: Jeff Francoeur homers in the fourth. Right: Edgar Renteria's fifth inning shot is just out of Chad Mottola's reach.

Nationals starter, R.A. Dickey, continued his hot "hitting" by knocking in half of Washington's runs with a solo shot in the third and a ground ball out in the fifth that scored Jim Rushford. Unfortunately, his struggles on the mound continued at he gave up six runs off of nine hits in six innings of work to pick up his second loss of the season.

After the game, Washington manager, Manny Acta, downplayed Dickey's struggles on the mound thus far. "Robby (Dickey) has really pitched better than his ERA would show." "He's just made a couple of bad pitches that he'd like to have back." Randy (Nationals pitching coach, Randy St. Claire) and I have no doubt that he's going to get it together real soon."

Atlanta starter, Tim Hudson looked good in picking up his 2nd win of the year giving up three runs on six hits in seven strong innings. Former National, Luis Ayala, picked up his fourth save of the year, in closing it out for the Braves.

Game two is tomorrow in Atlanta. Travis Smith (0-1) will be on the hill for the visiting Nationals, while lefty, Chuck James (1-0) will go for the Braves.

Boxscore: WAS 4 - ATL 6

League News

Pirates sign © Brian Daubach to 3 years at 100K.

April 13th

Game 9: Nationals (2-6) at Braves (7-0)

Washington Hands Atlanta It's First Loss

game9yy1.jpg

Left: Felipe Lopez homers for Atlanta in the third. He was 3 for 4 on the day and swiped his 5th bag of the year. Right: Jason Wood was 4 for 5 on the day, including his first long ball.

Nationals starter, Travis Smith, held the NL East leading, Braves to just one run in six innings and second baseman Jason Wood knocked in three and scored two in a four hit day, to lead Washington over Atlanta to give the Braves their first loss of the season.

Nationals catcher, Danny Ardoin hit his fifth home run in as many days and Chad Mottola added his 5th homer of the year, in the 9th.

When asked about his recent power surge, Ardoin responded, "I've just been getting pitches where I like 'em." "Every now and then you see the ball well and you get the pitches you want and where you want them." "I'm just thankful to finally get the opportunity to play everyday in the bigs."

Jason Simontacchi (1-1) will face Mike Hampton (1-0) in the rubber match of the three game series tomorrow.

Boxscore: WAS 9 - ATL 3

League News

White Sox starter Javier Vasquez out 7 days with a strained lower back.

April 14th

Game 10: Nationals (3-6) at Braves (7-1)

Late Rally Not Enough For Nationals

game10aq6.jpg

Left: Mike Hampton threw 8 innings of one run ball to pick up his second win. Right: Brian McCann strokes his second homer of the year in the seventh.

Poor defense and a dominant Mike Hampton, prevented Washington from picking up it's first series win of the year, Thursday night. Hampton held the Nationals to two runs, only one of them earned and four hits, while striking out six and walking one, in eight innings of work.

"The guy looked awesome tonight," Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell said about Hampton. "You'd never suspect this guy had Tommy John surgery just a couple of years ago." His hard work has certainly paid off."

Atlanta manager, Bobby Cox, removed Hampton in the ninth, after a leadoff double from George Lombard and Jason Wood reached on an error. Washington would then score all four of their runs that half inning off of reliever, Mike Gonzalez, before Luis Ayala was brought on to record the final out.

The threes were wild for Braves catcher, Brian McCann, who led the way offensively for Atlanta, picking up three hits in three at bats, scoring three runs and knocking in three more.

Earlier in the afternoon, Washington made some moves in the organization by trading Chris Snelling and Colter Bean to Atlanta for reliever Chad Paronta and outfielder Doug Clark. Clark was immediately placed on the 25 man big-league roster along with reliever Bryan Corey, called up from Columbus. Relievers John Johnson and Luther Hackman were both optioned to the Triple A, Clippers.

"We're very excited about bringing Clark in," Washington GM Jim Bowden said about the trade with Atlanta. "He adds a little more speed to our not-so-fleet footed, roster and he can hit a little too." "Like most of the guys in the upper part of our organization, Doug had been toiling down in the minors for several years and our current situation gives him an opportunity to do what a lot of the guys on our club have long dreamed." "Play on a major league baseball team."

"Luther and John both seemed to be pressing a little and we feel with the recent success our starters have had, it was un-necessary to have 12 pitchers on the big-league roster, "Bowden added about the days organizational moves. "For now anyway."

Also, catcher Juan Brito was sent to Philadelphia in exchange for left fielder Ryan Fleming, while Chris Booker and Abraham Nunez were sent to Milwaukee in exchange for left fielder Joe Dillon.

The Nationals will head to New York to begin a weekend three game series versus the Mets on Friday.

Boxscore: ATL 8 - WAS 4

League News

Giants sign (1B) Erubiel Durazo for 3 years at 200K

Don't you ever get tired of losing?

I enjoy playing the game. If I wanted to win every game, I would play the same old dynasty. I'm just trying someting different and decided I would share my experiment. My hope was that it would be entertaining to people, just as so many others have entertained me with their own dynasties.

I enjoy playing the game. If I wanted to win every game, I would play the same old dynasty. I'm just trying someting different and decided I would share my experiment. My hope was that it would be entertaining to people, just as so many others have entertained me with their own dynasties.

Sweet - good luck with the dynasty.

April 15th

Game 11: Nationals (3-7) at Mets (2-7)

Patient Nationals Come Out On Top

game11yo9.jpg

Left: Andy Abad scores off of Doug Clark's single, to tie it in the 6th. Right: Chris Michalak kept the Mets off-balance and off-base for most of the night.

Chris Michalak gave up one run on five hits over seven innings and Doug Clark knocked in two runs in his first start in a Nationals uniform to help lead Washington to a 3-1 victory over the slumping Mets. New York's lone run came in the third when Endy Chavez tripled and scored on an Anderson Hernandez sacrifice grounder. The Nationals tied it 1-1 in the sixth after first baseman, Andy Abad doubled and scored on Clark's single. Washington then took the lead in the 8th, when Chris Coste scored on Abad's single, his third hit of the day. A sacrifice fly from Clark in the very next at bat gave the Nationals an un-needed insurance run, as Lee Gardner closed it out in the ninth for his second save.

A perfect 4 for 4 day could be good enough to keep, shortstop, Augie Ojeda in the lineup, despite the fact that opening day starter Luis Figueroa has completely healed from the minor MCL strain that hampered him earlier in the week. "There never has been a doubt about Augie's glove, but after the way he hit the ball today, I can't possibly take him out of the lineup now," manager Manny Acta remarked.

The Nationals will send Marty McLeary (0-1) to the mound tomorrow to face Pedro Martinez (0-2).

Boxscore: WAS 3 - NYM 1

League News

Cardinals sign (LF) Todd Hollandsworth to 3 years at 300K.

Mets sign (RF) Richard Hidalgo to 3 years at 500K.

Wow! The Mets are worse than you. Goodness. - Keep up the good work.
Yea, I don't get it. Their lineup is stacked, but other than Beltran and Alou no one has hit well so far. I have a feeling they will come alive soon though. Let's hope it's after I leave New York though.

April 16th

Game 12: Nationals (4-7) at Mets (2-8)

Nationals Pound Pedro for Second Straight Victory

game12vg8.jpg

Left: Danny Ardoin upends Jose Reyes, who still manages to get off the throw to first. Right: Reyes goes deep for the third time this season.

Washington collected 17 hits, but only managed 3 runs against the Mets on Saturday. That however, proved to be enough to guarantee the Nationals their first series win of the year.

Newly acquired right fielder, Doug Clark had his second straight two-hit day for the Nationals, but two doubles and a 3 for 5 day from both Chris Coste and Jason Wood, highlighted the hitting outburst from Washington's hitters.

"Our guys have been working really hard about being more patient at the plate and it's really starting to show," Nationals manager Manny Acta commented about his team. "One thing we've got to do now, is work on our clutch hitting." "We can't keep leaving guys on base and expect to win."

R.A. Dickey (0-2) of the Nationals and Tom Glavine for the Mets (0-1), will both look for their first victories tomorrow in the series finale.

Boxscore: WAS 3 - NYM 2

League News

Red Sox sign (1B) Roberto Petagine to 3 years at 200K.

Angles sign (LF) Matt Lawton to 3 years at 300K.

April 17th

Game 13: Nationals (5-7) at Mets (2-9)

Three Runs A Third Time Not Enough

game13lo3.jpg

Left: Carlos Delgado hits his second home run of the season and of the day. Right: Tom Glavine gave up three runs off eleven hits, but still picked up his first victory of the year.

For a third straight day, the Washington Nationals managed to score three runs against the Mets. However, unlike the previous two engagements, that wasn't enough to pick up a third win on Sunday.

The one through four hitters for the Mets have struggled offensively, hitting a stagnant .216 coming into Sunday nights contest. Those hitters finally came alive, especially thanks to a 3 for 4, two homer night from first baseman, Carlos Delgado. Anderson Hernandez, also smashed his first home run of the season, a three run shot in the second off of Nationals starter R.A. Dickey.

The win gave Mets ace, Tom Glavine his first win of the year and handed R.A Dickey his third loss. Billy Wagner closed it out in the ninth for his first save.

After the game Mets manager, Willie Randolph, commented he was glad to see his team to show signs of life, after its early season struggles, "We knew our guys were going to come around eventually." "There are just too many veterans on our roster for us to continue to toil it out like we have been."

Randolph also had some nice words to say about the Nationals, "I do have to give those guys from Washington some credit though." Manny has gotten those guys really motivated and they are playing solid ball."

Washington heads back home to welcome the Braves for a three game series tomorrow.

Boxscore: WAS 3 - NYM 6

League News

Rangers sign (RF) Jody Gerut for 3 years at 400K.

Indians sign (LF) Terrence Long for 3 years at 300K.

White Sox sign © Chris Widger for 3 years at 400K.

Devil Rays starting pitcher, James Shields out 15 days with a minor PCL strain.

Archived