1. 1.

• Frankie Frisch - Giants/Cardinals
    • Rogers Hornsby - Cardinals
    • Bill Mazeroski - Pirates
    • Joe Morgan - Reds
    • Jackie Robinson - Dodgers
    • Ryne Sandberg - Cubs
    • Red Schoendienst - Cardinals

If anyone doesn't answer Rogers Hornsby, you're banned from this site.

He hit .424/.507/.696 as a second baseman in 1924, and then had a BETTER year in 1925. This is a no doubter.

Though, Joe Morgan is a solid #2. After that, no one else compares. Sandberg isn't fit to carry Rogers Hornsby's whiskey bottle.

i find nothing wrong with that. these are all time rosters. no one said they had to be the absolute most elite player at that positoin. it's all very interesting to see who we all want. it's just good to see that not everyone is just voting for power alone.

If anyone doesn't answer Rogers Hornsby, you're banned from this site.

He hit .424/.507/.696 as a second baseman in 1924, and then had a BETTER year in 1925. This is a no doubter.

But that is only 2 seasons

I'm split 50-50 on this one, Joe was a better fielder by far and had almost 700 SB

With the game on the line I would want Hornsby at bat, no doubt. But on the other hand I want Joe in the field for 9 innings (and his hitting was good)

defense & pitching wins championships

i find nothing wrong with that. these are all time rosters. no one said they had to be the absolute most elite player at that positoin. it's all very interesting to see who we all want. it's just good to see that not everyone is just voting for power alone.

That's true. It just says all-timer all-stars, so I guess there's a lot on non-tangibles that can go into that as well.

I respecfully disgree. Given that it's the all-time all-star rosters it's hard for me to not want the best players at each position represented. It has nothing to do with who I want to vote for, rather who deserves it. If BigDaddyCool and others are going to spend hours and hours trying to create these awesome rosters the objective should be to get them right. The right players being the first thing IMO. There's going to be hundreds, more like thousands of people downloading these rosters. I'm sure many of them will be like, "Who the freak is Eddie Collins, Arky Vaughn, or Nap Lajoie, or maybe even Honus Wagner". I say good. Maybe then they'll google them or look them up somewhere just so they'll get a better understanding of who they were & what they meant to the game.

The fact that Ozzie Smith even has a vote is mind boggling at the NL shortstop position. If he passes Honus that will be ridiculous.......Carew and Jackie are also the wrong choices at 2B.

Looking at all the results I'd say for the most part we've done a good job. I just think that people neglect those players pre WWII, expecially those in the dead ball era.

It will be interested to see if there's a starting pitcher poll for each league because there were a ton of great pitchers pre WWII - Big Train, Lefty, Pete, Cy, etc....

One more thing. I wish these rosters could include Pop Lloyd, Josh Gibson , and Oscar Charleston because they were among the greatest baseball players ever.

you're entitled to disagree, but we're not making this mod with the intentions of having the absolute best players off all time at every position (as with this, it would mostly have to be calculated with statistics). the intention is to have a good mix of the all time greats with the current players too. even if it were there is no absolute one way to decide on who that is. statistics can never tell you everything, because someone always has a difference in opinion. and really, who's to say who is right? it's just a pointless and ridiculous argument.

that being said, it's going to allow for a little bit of subjective judgment too. the people who are going to be playing this game have the opinions we're interested in because it suits the majority. if one person votes for kirby puckett in center because they grew up idolizing him, it is of no less significance than voting for lou gehrig at first base because he statistically puts everyone else to shame. in the end, having all the players in the game is the most important factor. we're just trying to put together a roster that the most amount of people can enjoy. iin the end, the end use always has control with what they want to do with their rosters. if they want to change the all star teams to represent the absolute best players in that position, no one's gonna argue let alone stop them.

The way I've been picking players for the all time is by deciding who I'd want for a 3 to 6 year dynasty. Others who pick players for one season may pick differently. anyway as much as I love sanberg, I have to go with Joe.

• 2 months later...

It is a sad sad commentary for the voters of NL all time 2nd baseman when

Hornsby who won several batting titles - hit .358 and slugged .577 lifetime is behind Jackie Robinson lifetime .311 and a wimpy .474 Slugging. What kind of ridiculous voting is this. It is almost as bad as the CF voting - Mantle or Cobb I understand but Griffey - what a joke.

wow, talk about a thread that's been done.

and i re-iterate exactly what i posted above. NO ONE said these votes are supposed to be for the best player at each position ever. everyone is entitled to vote for whoever they want for whatever reason they want.

Some ridiculous responses on this thread. If you want to make an all time great roster it should be the all time greatest players. Because you like somebody, the way he dresses or his political agenda or notoriety etc. is not a reason to vote. The all time greatest means stats and only stats - If you don't understand that don't vote. Please don't ruin the all time greatest players rosters with players that statistically don't match up - that ruins it for the rest of us. And yes ...you can vote for who you want but they must have comparable stats and not be laughable comparisons like Robinson and Hornsby.

Some ridiculous responses on this thread. If you want to make an all time great roster it should be the all time greatest players. Because you like somebody, the way he dresses or his political agenda or notoriety etc. is not a reason to vote. The all time greatest means stats and only stats - If you don't understand that don't vote. Please don't ruin the all time greatest players rosters with players that statistically don't match up - that ruins it for the rest of us. And yes ...you can vote for who you want but they must have comparable stats and not be laughable comparisons like Robinson and Hornsby.

it SHOULD be whatever the modders want to make it. if this is what you want to do, you're more than free to do it yourself. the fact of the matter is in the end, these players are all going to be in the mod. if you disagree with the votes, you're more than welcome to modify the rosters to your liking.

i really don't see the point of any of you guys trying to tell others how they should vote. really, tell me exactly why it is that your justification is anymore important than anyone else's? it's an opinion, and i highly doubt anyone's going to be persuaded by insulting them. so please just vote, leave out the insults or semi-insults, and let it be.

Archived