My trippy Dodger dynasty

TwentySeven

This isn't really a dynasty as much because I'm making almost zero effort graphically or anything, I'm really just posting my thoughts. It might not be as fun to watch but it will be easier to read.

I did it as the Dodgers instead of the Yankees because for some reason even though in real life I prefer the American League, the Dodgers are the only team I've ever lasted past the ASB in.

Anyways it's a fantasy draft, it's just some of the players I thought were more interesting and I wanted to try playing with.

I have a platoon at 2B with Howie Kendrick and BJ Upton (yes, I know they are both righties, but it works) and a platoon in RF with Jonny Gomes and Ryan Church. In case you are wondering, Alex Rios missed the first series with a strained back.

Yes, I know we are 6-0 which is kind of unreasonable, but my pitchers have been very lucky and/or good, and my hitters have actually been kind of unlucky. Unlucky, but clutch. It's pretty weird actually. I'm using sliders I have used for a while and I get really realistic results usually. It is a pretty good team admittedly so that makes sense.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

Game 5

Game 6

In a sec I will post some more info just so you guys can see it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does bother me, but they've been pretty close.

The first game was a 9-1 blowout.

The second game was pretty close, I mean it was a save situation.

Game three was another blowout.

Game four was a nailbiter to the end, we barely won it.

Game five went into extra innings and then we got a rally, so I'll score it as plenty close.

Game 6 I'll give you.

So, half of them were close. Thats a pretty decent ration in my mind.

Here are some MVP Sav Reader pages; Only the pages I am linking to are enabled, so there is really no reason to click the links on the pages I'm linking to.

In case you look at player jersey numbers I really didn't bother making numbers accurate or conforming to retired numbers. So what. I'm lazy. Sue me.

Interestingly, Chris Shelton is on another early season tear, just like last year.

Also interestingly, Barry Bonds' pursuit of 756 has been severely hampered by a broken arm in the last game of my series vs. him... Hmm.

The oldest player on my team is Takashi Saito at 37...

The youngest are BJ Upton and Melky Cabrera at 22...

The median age is 27...

The tallest player is Andy Sisco at 6'10"...

The shortest is Chone Figgins at 5'7"...

The average is 6'1"...

The heaviest player is also Andy Sisco at 270 lb...

The lightest is Tim Lincecum at 165 lb...

The average is 204.

Ah here we go they have been uploaded...

Or not, my server is dying here.

Once it starts working, I'll post links.

Game 7

I know, I know. I'm already working on readjusting my sliders, since I'm obviously doing something different.

Actually, I know what it is I'm doing, I somehow always do it with the Dodgers, and they are the only team that this happens to me on. I take a whole ton of pitches when I'm at bat and swing only at things that I know I can hit. Usually I'm a lot less patient...

In addition, when I'm pitching I attack the zone a lot more as opposed to nibbling and trying to strike out batters.

I guess those things help.

Weird. I'll try to make it tougher.

Just to explain what I did with pinch hitters and defense, I put BJ Upton in for Jose Bautista, then put Melky in for Howie Kendrick. When it was my turn to bat, I put Melky in LF, Figgins at third, and Upton at second.

And wow, Alex Rios loves those gaps at the Ravine.

Phat Albert is heating up :)

Game 8

Ryan Church leads the league in hits, despite not having enough at-bats to even qualify for the batting title. His batting average is .654, he has 17 hits... He's on fire, folks.

Alex Rios has 3 triples, leading the majors. He's been very hot-and-cold - one day he'll have 3 hits, the next he'll have an 0-fer.

Game 9

Disappointing game there. Chuck James' final line isn't all that great, but he pitched even worse than his line showed. He nibbled the whole time and only got 6 innings because they started swinging at anything in the zone.

Defensively, we've been pretty bad this series, though the error didn't have much effect in this game.

But what really gets to me is that they've been wasting opportunities. Kendrick was picked off at first, and in the second game they got a CS too. People have been being too aggressive and running into outs.

Not only that, they didn't capitalize on the leadoff triple by Rios. Gah.

This was the Rockies' game to begin with considering the disparity between our fourth starters, anyways. Plus, they are an all-righty lineup against a lefty. Troy Glaus really ripped up Chuck James, those were blasts.

Now we are tied for the lead in our division...

Up next is the Padres, they are 3-6 so hopefully we can capitalize. They are a pretty bad team.

Game 10

Lincecum had a rebound from his last start...

Pujols is clutch and the game is lost if not for him. Not only was he good on offense, he made a bunch of clutch defensive plays.

Jay Marshall, by the way, came in, gave up a hit, then got a double play ball off of Berkman. Unfortunately, Jose Bautista dropped the ball and both runners were safe. I'm going to have to bench Bautista. I'll either put BJ Upton at third and Kendrick at second or put Chone Figgins at third and Melky in LF.

Also, Rene Rivera will be in in my next game vs. a lefty - Posada isn't quite as good against lefties.

Game 11

The most exciting game so far? It went back and forth and back and forth.

Wow, Bud Black f*ed up in the tenth - why would you walk Melky Cabrera? Especially with Ryan Church, a terrific contact hitter, up next? By the way, Ryan Church reached on an error with Yuniesky Betancourt missing a catch on a bouncing ball up the middle. It likely would have scored a runner even if the play was made.

Quite a matchup of aces, it was a close one.

I can't believe C. C. Sabathia doubled in a key run! I knew that for a pitcher he's a good hitter, but GAH!

Francisco Cordero just got unlucky...

Jonny Gomes is out 17 days with a fractured wrist... I called Ryan Langerhans up from AAA and put Gomes on the DL.

Andre Ethier is out 33 days with a strained hip flexor...

Also, my plan with BJ Upton is to have him go to Single-A and work on switching to CF. A lot of scouts agree that his future position is in CF. Plus, it will help him get his stroke back. I dunno when I'll send him down.

Game 13

This was easy because the other pitcher literally had no control. It was just silly.

And I am trying to fix the sliders, but it doesn't help when the other pitcher can't get the ball over the plate, especially since usually I don't get that problem.

I didn't take Randy Wolf out, what happened was he hit Luis Castillo with a pitch and Castillo charged the mound for no apparent reason. Castillo was ejected and got a 5 day suspension, and Wolf got a concussion and had to be taken out. 27 days on the DL.

I moved Clay Hensley into the rotation and called Bryan Bullington up from AAA.

Game 15

Casey Blake has a strained forearm and is out 10 days.

That Pujols fellow, boy he's good.

Dustin McGowan surprised me - I didn't know he had recovered velocity up to the 100's... But, his breaking and moving stuff is no good, so I was able to hit that.

At least two of the earned runs on Lincecum should have been unearned - Chone Figgins made what should have been an inning-ending catch, but the ball popped loose... It wasn't scored an error, and the next batter hit an RBI single.

I debated sending Lincecum back down to AAA to get his stuff back, but with Wolf out, I'm not sure that that is such a great plan.

Game 16

Sheets walked way more than normal, his command was off. The fact that he kept it so close for so long is impressive.

I'm working on the sliders, I've mostly been doing small changes, but I might have to do a drastic slider change.

Something is still up with Francisco Cordero, but he wasn't hit as hard. He just didn't get outs he should be getting.

Up next is the Pirates, who are 8-8... I will update MVP SavReader after this series.

I'm getting tomorrow off for Independence Day, so I'll play a game tomorrow..

I'm going to add myself to the roster at AA - I won't put my real name of course. I don't know what in-game stats I'm going to use, but I have a general scouting report idea. I won't make myself really really good or anything.

And I am obviously going to have to make myself something like 23 as opposed to my real age, because being a 16 year old in AA is a bit unreasonable.

Just something I'm doing to spice this up a bit for myself, but I want y'all to know who this random player is going to be.

Game 17

Buerhle was good... Wang was better...

Huston Street gave up his first hit of the season...

The Pirates are better than their record indicates - they have underperformed. Their rotation is elite - Johan Santana and Buerhle at the top and it doesn't get much easier. They have four lefties too, I don't remember one of the other two, but the last one is David Wells. They have some pretty good hitting depth too.

Game 18

I really got burned by their 3-4 hitters.. :(

This is another case of a team not being as bad as their numbers show - Hensley was pretty decent and didn't make a lot of bad pitches, they were just hitting some decent pitches pretty far. A lot of the balls my team hit were hit hard but were "at-em" balls.

For some reason, Billy Wagner doesn't seem all that impressive to me. Maybe it's only me, but if you sit on the fastball, his splitter is really hittable in general and you only have to be careful about the slider, which rarely gets into the strike zone.

EDIT: I put "myself" in AAA as a righty reliever, which is kind of what I am. My best pitch is a change, followed by a fastball and then a slider, so thats how I did it in-game. I obviously don't actually throw 93 MPH, but though I didn't want to make myself too good, I have to make it reasonable. So, my in-game player is sort of an Edwar Ramirez type if you know who that is. Otherwise, something of a Trevor Hoffman, but not as good.

I made myself 23 and 6'3" or something of the sort, and sort of skinny. Thats how my doctor projected my body type to be in a few years, so I might as well make that realistic.

I'm the closer for AAA, but I have no stats accumulated yet.

Game 19

Bautista's homer was straight to center, wow it went far.

Three assists at home for the Men in Blue - one was a David Wells bunt w/ runners at the corners, BJ Upton grabbed it off the ground and tossed to Rivera for the out. The other two were assists with Chone Figgins - Alex Gonzalez - Rene Rivera.

Ryan Church robbed Endy Chavez of a homer in Gary Matthews, Jr. style. It was that spiderman grab from last year.

Chuck James is getting really lucky. He's giving up hits but few are scoring. He's not striking guys out. His control isn't very good - he has a low amount of walks because the other teams swing at his stuff, which isn't all that good. When I pitch with him, it has seemed like I'm getting bombed but he's been so lucky that I haven't been bombed.

Next up are the Giants, and Matt Morris.

Game 20

Tim Lincecum with a very Jeff Weaver-esque performance. That's not a good thing by the way.

I guess I'll be giving Clay Hensley another shot at the rotation, I demoted Lincecum to long relief.

My relievers prevented runs, but none were really efficient and my bullpen is screwed unless Brandon Webb can give me six-seven innings.

Very very disappointing game.

Archived