My trippy Dodger dynasty

TwentySeven

10th Inning Inside-the-Parker leads Dodgers to Second Straight Win

Hensley to also remain in rotation; Ryan Wagner makes '07 debut

Atlanta, Georgia. For the second straight game, the Dodgers and the Braves went at it until the very end of the game, and for the second straight game, the Dodgers got some magic to pull out a win. Both starters pitched very well, giving up only one run each in the fourth and fifth innings, respectively.

Eddie Guardado came in for the Dodgers in the eighth, pitching an inning and a third, and Ryan Wagner came in to make his 2007 debut, pitching to two batters and striking out one.

In the tenth inning, against Jeremy Affeldt who was pitching his second inning and was pitching for the second night in a row, Jose Bautista singled. Howie Kendrick followed that with a liner that Corey Patterson dived for but missed, and the ball rolled to the wall and bounced around after David DeJesus failed to cut the ball off. Bautista scored, and Kendrick easily scored to make it an inside-the-park home run, Kendrick's second homer overall.

Huston Street came into the game for the second straight night to lock down his eleventh save. In fourteen innings this season, he has been dominant, and has given up just one hit and one walk.

Grady Little Quotes

"Clay [Hensley] was dominant today, I think he showed that we have to keep him in the rotation until he struggles. Tim looked good yesterday, so we might actually have too many starters, but hopefully we can figure something out."..."Ryan [Wagner]? He looked great out there. I mean he just threw to a couple of guys, but he had everything going, his change was nasty, I'd definitely like this kid in my 'pen. We have a lot of young, good, pitchers, it's a good problem to have."

Derek Lowe Update

Again, no updates were released on the Derek Lowe trade situation, though reports are apparently leaking that a deal has fallen through at the last minute.

Next Up

Brandon Webb takes the mound against Randy Johnson.

Game 30

-COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Webb Dominates in Complete-Game Shutout; Dodgers Sweep

Pujols' slump continues

Atlanta, Georgia. Brandon Webb took the mound against Randy Johnson in what looked to be a tight pitchers duel. It ended up as a pitchers duel, but one pitcher was far more dominant than the other. Webb was masterful, giving up just four hits and one walk, while striking out five. Johnson was also dominant, making just one bad play when he gave up a home run to Jose Bautista, who has dominated lefties this season.

Brandon Webb dominated on the mound, but at the same time, he also got three hits, going three-for-four with a double.

Jose Bautista's homer was to right field - his third opposite-field home run of the season, and he is third on the Dodgers with five home runs. In addition, he made a shining diving play to save a hit and what would likely have been a run against the Dodgers.

The win gave the Dodgers a sweep and a three game win streak going into Florida to play a tough series against a Marlins team that has underperformed thus far. The Dodgers are 22-9 and hold their division lead over San Francisco.

Albert Pujols' slump continued as he went zero-for-five on the day with 1 strikeout. In his last four games, he is 1-for-17 with four strikeouts. After the game, Dodgers manager Grady Little announced that it was "likely" that Pujols would get a day off to help him clear his head and break out of his slump.

Ken Griffey, Jr. Quotes

On Brandon Webb: "Brandon Webb? That guy is as good as I've seen on the mound in my career, the kid is just nasty. That sinker, it's just nasty. Tough pitcher there, he'll be good."

On the sweep: "Yeah, it's disappointing. We came into the series with a .500 record, on the bubble, and it would really have been nice to leave with a record over .500. The Dodgers have a tough team, I wouldn't want to be in that division."

Next Up

Chien-Ming Wang takes the mound against Mark Mulder of Florida.

Game 31

Wang Dominates, but Late Homers Prove to be Downfall for Dodgers

Pujols Breaking Out of Slump?

Miami, Florida. Chien-Ming Wang and Mark Mulder squared off on the mound, and both were dominant. Mulder gave up one home run in the sixth before leaving the game, and that one homer looked like it could be the difference as Wang was pitching dominantly.

However, a Jose Guillen blast was all the Marlins needed to turn it around, and just two batters later, Marcus Thames pinch hit for Colby Lewis and hit a home run to give the Marlins a lead that they would not relinquish.

In the ninth, the Marlins brought in closer Chad Cordero, and the Dodgers sent Jorge Posada to the plate. Posada flied out, bringing up Albert Pujols, who was hitting for Jose Bautista. Pujols promptly hit a double deep into center field, ending a 1-for-17 slump. Howie Kendrick hit what looked like a basic ground out that would allow Pujols to go to third; however, Josh Barfield fired to third and though it looked as though Pujols was safe, third base umpire Chad Fairchild called him out. Grady Little immediately came out as Pujols was ejected for arguing with Fairchild, and after Little argued too, he was ejected. Dan Johnson then grounded out to end the game.

A suspension was issued following the game to Grady Little for one game, and Pujols was given a fine from the league office.

Twin Aces

The Dodgers have had much success this season, and a large portion of that can be attributed to their two aces, Brandon Webb and Chien-Ming Wang. Combined, they have thrown 108 and a third innings with a 1.91 ERA. Their combined wins and losses are 10-1, and they have struck out 58 batters compared to just seven walks. They have given up 93 hits, just 14 of them homers. Also, they have combined for four complete games, two of them shutouts.

On the other hand the rest of the rotation has had much less success. Combined, all other starters have gone 6-7 with a 5.81 ERA in 100 and two-thirds innings. They have 43 strikeouts to 15 walks, 72 runs, 65 of them earned, 140 hits (27 of them home runs), and 0 complete games or shutouts.

Grady Little Quotes

"Yeah, I'm pissed with that call. Albert was obviously safe, everyone knew it, and when he called Al out, that really changed the momentum. It's the difference between first and third with one out or just a runner on first with two outs. That's a big deal."

Next Up

Chuck James takes the mound against Derek Lowe

Game 32

Nice dynasty - what are your standings so far?

I know I'm in first place, but the Giants are half a game behind with a record of 22-12.

The Nationals are in first place in the east too, that's all I remember.

I do have standings from right before the series against the Braves, and I will probably update them again after the end of this series.

http://twentyseven.phpnet.us/savreader/Ros.../MLB_stand.html

Lowe Shuts Down Dodgers; Slumps Continue

Dodgers passed in division

Miami, Florida. Chuck James once again struggled as the Dodgers fell to the Marlins to give them their third straight win. Derek Lowe was dominant, going all nine innings, walking three, and striking out one.

Chone Figgins stole two bases to extend his major league lead.

In the sixth inning, down by three, Albert Pujols came up in a crucial at-bat. Pujols has been clutch all season, but he failed to come through with the bases loaded and two outs, and those runs were the difference in the game.

Meche to be Traded?

A Dodgers insider reports that the Dodgers and Cardinals have agreed in principle to a deal to trade Gil Meche to the Dodgers; An announcement is pending approval from the league office because of a transfer of money greater than one million dollars.

Giants Pass Dodgers for First Place

For the first time this season, the Dodgers were passed in first place in the NL West division by the surging Giants. The Giants have a 24-11 record as opposed to the Dodgers' 22-11 record.

Minors Update

B.J. Upton: .369, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 8 R

J. Gomes: .242, 0 HR 0 RBI, 1 R

Quotes

The Dodgers were unavailable for comment following the game as they left the clubhouse shortly after the game ended.

Next Up

The Dodgers try to salvage a win and prevent a sweep as Tim Lincecum faces off against Noah Lowry.

Game 33

Dodgers Bats Break Out Late in Game

Church Strains Groin, Out for Four Days

Miami, Florida. Though the game started out as an unexpected pitchers struggle, the Dodgers started a late rally to put the game out of the Marlins' hands. In the seventh inning, down 1-2, the Dodgers scored a run on a Chone Figgins sacrifice fly. In the eighth inning against reliever Sidney Ponson, Albert Pujols seemingly broke out of his slump with his twelfth home run, giving the Dodgers a lead they would not relinquish.

In the ninth inning, Sidney Ponson continued to struggle, giving up 4 hits and getting no outs as the Dodgers scored seven runs off of Ponson and closer Chad Cordero. Dan Johnson hit his first home run to start off the ninth, a liner to right field, and Alex Gonzalez ended the scoring with the third Dodgers home run of the game, a deep fly to left field. Takashi Saito entered the game to shut down the Marlins, needing just six pitches to get three outs.

Church strains groin; Cabrera to get starts

Ryan Church strained his groin sliding into home plate in the ninth inning in will likely miss 3-4 games; He is not likely to go on the disabled list however. Manager Grady Little said that it was "likely" that Melky Cabrera would receive the majority of any starts that Church misses.

Alex Rios es en Fuego?

Alex Rios has been one of the Dodgers' most consistent offensive performers, second on the team with ten homers, and first on the team with eight triples. He leads the majors in triples after hitting another one in today's game. He has multiple hits in each of his last four games; he is 10-for-17 with 3 RBI, 3 steals, 1 double, 2 triples, 1 homer, and 2 runs.

Meche to be Traded?

Though no news has been announced about a possible Gil Meche trade, the word is that the Dodgers and Cardinals have agreed on a trade and it just needs to be approved by the league office.

Standings Report

The Dodgers won their game as the Giants had an off-day, and the Dodgers are now a half game back in the NL West.

Quotes

The Dodgers were again unavailable for comment as the game ended later than expected.

Next Up

The Dodgers try to make the series a split as Clay Hensley takes the mound against Josh Johnson.

Game 34

Chone's Magic Gives Dodgers Second Straight Comeback Win, Series Split

Meche Trade to be Announced Later Today

Miami, Florida. For the second straight game, the Dodgers pulled out a comeback win in the late innings of a game against the Marlins. Though both Clay Hensley and Josh Johnson were dominant, Hensley gave up three runs before being pulled from the game after pitching the seventh inning. Johnson was dominant until the eighth inning, when he gave up a two-run homer to Alex Gonzalez, his second homer in the last two games. Sidney Ponson was brought in in relief of Johnson, and Ponson continued to struggle, giving up a run on an Alex Rios triple and a Chone Figgins single to tie the game.

In the tenth inning, Jeff Baker dived for a Chone Figgins groundout, and though he made the catch and threw out Figgins, he sprained his ACL and is expected to miss a week. The two bullpens went into battle for the next few innings until the twelfth inning, when the Marlins brought in Colby Lewis.

A Melky Cabrera flyout put one out on the board for the Marlins, and then Alex Gonzalez doubled. In a surprising move, Scott Moore was not pinch-hit for, and he bunted to move Gonzalez to third. Alex Rios was intentionally walked to bring up Chone Figgins. Colby Lewis hung a breaking pitch up in the zone, and Figgins turned on it to give the Dodgers a three run lead.

In the bottom of the twelfth, Francisco Cordero was brought in to shut down the Marlins and get his first save. He allowed Marcus Thames a pinch hit single, and then Marcus Pryor doubled to put runners on second and third. However, he proceeded to strike out Ronny Paulino and coaxed Josh Barfield into an easy flyout to right field to end the game.

Meche trade to be announced later today

The Dodgers have announced a press conference following the game in Miami, and GM Paul DePodesta is expected to announce the trade the Dodgers made to acquire righty Gil Meche.

Standings Update

With the Dodgers winning and a Giants loss, the Dodgers are once again in first place in the division, half a game up.

Alex Rios' hot streak continues

Alex Rios extended his hot streak, going 2-for-5 with a triple, two runs, and a walk. He is now 12 for his last 22.

Hensley to remain in rotation

On the basis of his past few strong outings, Clay Hensley is expected to remain in the rotation. His next start is scheduled against the Cardinals.

Quotes

Grady Little: "These past few days, the team came alive again. These comebacks, this team has got some real spirit!"

Next Up

Brandon Webb will face off against Pedro Martinez in the Chavez Ravine as the Dodgers return home to welcome the Reds (16-19, 5 1/2 back in division).

Game 35

I have two more posts scheduled today - the trade announcement and an MVP Sav Reader stats update.

This was the most patient game I've had in a while.

Meche Traded to Dodgers

Cardinals to receive Gomes, Johnson, Vanden Hurk, in return.

Miami, Florida. Following the game, the Dodgers scheduled a press conference. During the press conference, the Dodgers confirmed a rumor that had been spreading around for several days - they had acquired right handed pitcher Gil Meche from the Cardinals. Though the trade was agreed to in term several days ago, it was held up because it had to pass through the commissioners office to be approved due to the transfer of money over $1 million. However, the trade finally was approved, and Gil Meche is on his way to Dodgers stadium this evening.

The Dodgers have agreed to send first baseman Dan Johnson, outfielder Jonny Gomes, and minor league pitching prospect Rick Vanden Hurk to the Cardinals in exchange for Meche.

Meche, 28, has been strong so far this season. He is 4-2 with a 3.52 ERA in 38.1 innings. In addition, he has struck out 24 batters in comparison to 13 walks. He has a .232 batting average against and a 1.20 WHIP. He has also allowed only five home runs. Meche is due to make $10.8 million over the next five years, though the Cardinals will eat up $2 million a year.

Dan Johnson, 27, has struggled this season in limited playing time due to Albert Pujols. He has been solid defensively, and hit .207 with 1 home run. He had just 2 RBI and 6 hits. He will make league minimum over the next three years.

Gomes, 26, started the season off strong before getting injured for several weeks and also losing playing time to Ryan Church. Though he started the season in a lefty-righty platoon with Church, Church hit well enough to make Gomes lose his job. Gomes hit .429 with 1 home run in 14 AB with the Dodgers, getting three RBI before getting injured. In his rehab stint in Double-A, he hit .242 with no homers or RBI. He will also make league minimum over the next three years.

Vanden Hurk, 21, started the season in Double-A, going 2-3 with a 2.38 ERA in 45.1 innings. In addition, he struck out 47 batters while allowing just 21 walks. He will make league minimum over the next six years. Though he has pitched very well so far in his career, he is projected to reach the major leagues as a #2 starter.

Paul DePodesta commented on Meche, "We are very pleased to have Gil joining our organization. I've had my eye on Gil for a while, and we think that he could really shore up our pitching this season and for the next four as well. We really think he could break out over the next few seasons and become a very solid starter, and at worst, he will do what he's done so far this season."

The Cardinals traded Meche as a salary dump as the Cardinals feel that they need to move into a rebuilding phase to help return to their greatness of the past few seasons. The Cardinals, though only 8 games back, are 13-21.

After the trade was completed, the Dodgers optioned Tim Lincecum to Triple-A Las Vegas and called up Shane Costa to shore up their bench. Meche is expected to take over Lincecum's spot in the rotation.

Dodgers Home Page

Dodgers Injuries

Dodgers Lineups

Dodgers 25-man Roster

Dodgers Salaries

Dodgers First Half Schedule

Dodgers Second Half Schedule

Dodgers Player Stats

-----

MLB Home Page

MLB Injuries

MLB League Leaders

MLB Standings

MLB Team Stats

Wow... Jeez, those Nationals are crazy good. Can't wait to face them and see what they have.

Dodgers Shut Out by Dominant Pedro Martinez

Wang, Matsuzaka, to face off in duel of Asian Righty Aces

Los Angeles, California. Pedro Martinez and Brandon Webb took the mound in a battle of the aces. Though both pitchers dueled on and off and both pitched admirably, one pitched better than the other to give his team a win. Pedro Martinez was as dominant as he's ever been, going the full nine innings and striking out seven batters, walking just one, and giving up just four hits. Webb also threw out a strong outing, going eight innings and giving up 2 runs, but it just wasn't enough. Brandon Webb also made his first error on the season.

In the second inning, Cliff Floyd hit his eighth homer to give the Reds a one run lead, and in the eighth inning, Michael Young hit a sacrifice fly to score the second run of the game.

Jorge Posada went 0-for-4 as his average dropped to a dismal .244.

Quotes

Grady Little: "If we get to the playoffs, I don't want to be facing the Reds. Their rotation, front to back, it's incredibly strong, and they have a good bullpen too."

Next Up

Taiwanese ace Chien-Ming Wang and Japanese import Daisuke Matsuzaka will face off.

Game 36

I meant more in terms of taking pitches, in general, not in terms of walks. I'm not much of a walker, unfortunately, though I wish I was, because the game would be more realistic.

Just keep adjusting your sliders until you get it right, I perfected my sliders and now have realistic pitch,walk,and strikeout counts in every game.

Dodgers Pull Out Victorious In Pitchers Duel

Church to Make Return Tomorrow

Los Angeles, CA. Chien-Ming Wang and Dice-K Matsuzaka were both dominant in a faceoff of Asian righty aces. Wang, however, was just a bit more dominant, and Dice-K gave up the only run in the game, a deep shot to center field by Howie Kendrick, to allow the Dodgers to escape with a win, though they just barely escaped with the win.

Minor League Update

Tim Lincecum (AAA):Loss, 5.1 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 SO, 0 BB, 1 HR allowed

Quotes

Grady Little [on Ryan Church]: "Yeah, I have him pretty much penciled back into the lineup tomorrow - he told us that he felt good, so we'll be going on that.

Next Up

Lefties Chuck James and Erik Bedard will square off.

Game 37

Sorry for the late update.

James Puts in Strong Outing, but Falls to 1-5 as Bedard Dominates Dodgers

Meche to make Dodgers debut against former team tomorrow

Los Angeles, CA. Chuck James put together another strong outing, but backed by just one run of support against lefty Erik Bedard, he suffered another loss. James gave up two runs in the first inning, and one in the third and sixth innings.

The only run Erik Bedard gave up was on a Jorge Posada home run. Posada had been struggling this season; he had a .239 average coming into the game, and was dropped down in the order in favor of hitters who weren't slumping as much.

Ryan Church made his return from a strained hamstring in right field today. Though he went 0-for-4 and saw his league leading average drop under .400 for the first time this season, he also threw out a runner at the plate and made a spectacular diving catch.

Quotes

Gil Meche (on starting against his former team): "I hope to do well, because I just want to play the game my hardest. I know that the guys, they know that it's no hard feelings, I'm just doing my job. It's cool to see them again, though."

Next Up

Dodgers Righty Gil Meche, acquired just days ago from the Cardinals, will make his Dodgers debut against his former team. He will face off with Mike Maroth, who replaced him in the Cardinals rotation. Meche, who had a 4-2 record with the Cardinals, was traded for Jonny Gomes, Dan Johnson, and prospect Rick Vanden Hurk.

Game 38

Sorry for the late update. Homecoming wasn't as good as I expected, too.

Meche Struggles Against Former Team, and Defense Doesn't Help, Either

Church hitless for second straight game; Bautista strains hamstring, to go on DL.

Los Angeles, CA. In his Dodgers debut, Gil Meche faced off against his former team, the Cardinals. Not only that, but he faced off against the man who replaced him in the rotation, Mike Maroth. Backed by shoddy defense, Meche turned in a subpar outing to give the Dodgers a second straight loss. He gave up five earned runs, and two unearned backed by two errors in one inning. His record fell to 4-3, and his ERA fell to just 4.00.

Jorge Posada hit his second home run in two games, and also clubbed a double to deep center to give him four hits in his last two games, and three extra-base hits. He seems to be heating up again after a dismal start to the season.

In his second game back from a strained hamstring, Ryan Church again went 0-for-4, though he reached on an error. He is hitless in 8 at-bats since returning and could face a drop in the order until he begins hitting again. With the hitless game, he saw his average drop to just .387, his season low.

Bautista injures hamstring on dive, placed on DL; OF Jose Cruz, Jr., called up.

Pulling up lame on a dive on a ground ball, Dodgers third bagger Jose Bautista was pulled from the game and following the game, placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained hamstring. Chone Figgins moved to third to replace him, and Melky Cabrera was placed in left field. It is expected that Figgins will start at third and Cabrera and outfield Shane Costa will platoon in left field until Bautista returns. In addition, Triple-A outfielder Jose Cruz, Jr., was called up to join the Dodgers. With the AAA team, he hit .317/.360/.402 with one homer, 10 RBI, and 17 runs as the starting right fielder.

Minor League Update

CF B.J. Upton promoted to AA; will start in CF.

Quotes

Gil Meche: "It's always a shame when you give up a game like this, with errors and bad gameplay. It's disappointing more than anything. The Dodgers have some pretty good defense, so there is really only one direction to go from a start like this."

Grady Little (on the game): "I agree with what Gil said, we could have had a real shot at that game but we just blew it. This is a good team that's just struggling right now."

Grady Little (on Bautista's injury): "It's definitely a shame, Bautista is a great defender and he has so much pop in his bat. I definitely think that Melky and Shane and Chone can cover for him, but it would definitely be nice to get Jose back."

Tony LaRussa: "It was great to see Gil so soon after he left us, but it's too bad about the game. He knows that it's just baseball, though. Nothing personal."

Next Up

Shawn Chacon (STL, 2-2, 5.35 ERA) at Clay Hensley (LAD, 2-1, 3.48 ERA)

Game 39

I'd like to bring back my mailbag; mailbag questions are completely welcome! Please write in!

A couple of updates for you guys, firstly, my next game to be played is scheduled for Thursday.

Secondly, I am planning to shop Jay Marshall - he's now a Red Sox and I never play with any Red Sox players on my team unless I have to. Besides of which, I don't really have much use of him.

Finally, PLEASE POST MAILBAG QUESTIONS! :)

Mailbag question: Ryan Church is 0 for his last 8 while Posada seems to have temporarily broken from his slump with a 3 for 4 game last time. Do you think they are both starting to head back to their respective career norms, or do you think this is going to end up as a breakout season for Church and a disappointing one for Posada?

Dodgers Bats Break Out as Hensley Strong Again

Jay Marshall traded to Cincinnati for Adrian Cardenas; Edgar Gonzalez called up

Los Angeles, CA. From the very first run, Chone Figgins sprinting home on a Jorge Posada single, to the very last, the Dodgers ran the bases extremely well. Three homers and two doubles did nothing to hurt the cause as several players broke out the bats. Alexis Rios had two hits, including a homer; Chone Figgins went 4-for-5 with a homer; Ryan Church had his first hit since returning from the DL; Albert Pujols had two hits, two walks, and a homer; Jorge Posada went three-for-five; Howie Kendrick went two-for-four, and Melky Cabrera went two-for-five.

Clay Hensley was strong again, going 7 innings and picking up a solid win. In the ninth inning, Eddie Guardado struggled an Huston Street was brought in. Street gave up two hits and allowed two runs to cross the plate, and the game ended with a close play at the plate.

After Jonny Gomes reached on an error against his former team, Placido Polanco singled to put runners on first and second. Gary Matthews, Jr., walked to load the bases. With one out, Mark Teixeira doubled and brought in two runs to put runners at second and third. After Carlos Beltran made another out, Eric Chavez singled. Gary Matthews, Jr., easily scored, but Mark Teixeira was tagged out by Jorge Posada on a good throw by Alex Rios to end the game.

Player of the Game: Chone Figgins

Chone Figgins stole his twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth bases and had four hits, including a home run, in todays game. He is on pace to get over 90 stolen bases. He almost doubles the next highest stolen base total in the major leagues.

Jay Marshall traded to Cincinnati for Adrian Cardenas; Edgar Gonzalez called up

LHP Jay Marshall, 24, was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for SS Adrian Cardenas. Marshall, who had a 0.00 ERA, 3 strikeouts, and one walk allowed, in 5.1 IP with the Dodgers, was placed on the Reds' AAA team; Cardenas, 19, who was hitting .283/.313/.392, was sent to the Dodgers' single-A team. He projects to move to second base and be a good major league hitter.

To take Marshall's spot on the Dodgers' twenty five man roster, RHP Edgar Gonzalez was called up from AAA Las Vegas. Gonzalez, 24, was 1-0 with a 2.37 ERA in 18.3 IP. He had 17 strikeouts and 9 walks.

Minor League Update

B.J. Upton: 0-for-6, 1 BB

Quotes

Because of the late ending time, no players were available for quotes.

Next Up

Jaret Wright of the Cardinals takes on Brandon Webb of the Dodgers.

Game 40

The mailbag will come out regularly with the update I have every two series with the updated MVP Sav Reader files.

Archived