My trippy Dodger dynasty

TwentySeven

Dodgers Fall in Loss to Umpires

Grady Little ejected, suspended two games; to submit formal complaint

Los Angeles, CA. Both starters submitted ace performances, and in extra innings, blown calls by the second base umpire, Tim McLelland, contributed to a loss to the Dodgers in a tight battle of bullpens. Neither team scored until the twelfth inning, and the teams combined for just 14 hits in a combined 24 innings. Edgar Gonzalez had a dominant season debut for the Dodgers, going two innings, striking out two and giving up just one hit.

In the ninth inning, Chone Figgins singled; on a steal attempt during the next at-bat, he was called out by Tim McLelland, a call Grady Little argued immediately afterwards. Instant replay proved that the call was incorrect and Figgins should have been safe.

In the eleventh inning, Figgins singled again and got caught again, though again, instant replay showed that he was clearly safe. Grady Little again argued the call, earning a glare from the umpire.

In the twelfth inning, Eric Chavez lead off the inning with a line drive to left field; Melky Cabrera quickly recovered the ball off of the ground and sent a screaming throw to second base where Howie Kendrick quickly applied the tag. However, McLelland again missed the call and called the runner safe, sending Dodgers manager Grady Little into an uproar. Little was ejected after coming flying out of the dugout in a rage. Chavez would go on to score the winning run.

Player of the Game: Hector Luna

Hector Luna had the only RBI of the game as the shortstop went 1-for-5.

Brandon Webb perfect game attempt thwarted in fifth

Brandon Webb had a perfect game going through the fifth inning until Eric Chavez singled to left field for the first Cardinals baserunner of the game.

Ryan Church tied for lead in batting average for first time in season

Though he went two-for-five in the game, Garrett Atkins went three-for-four and moved into a tie for the major league lead in batting average. They have a .381 average each.

Grady Little ejected, suspended two games; to submit formal complaint

After being ejected in the twelfth inning for arguing the third blown call by second base umpire Tim McLelland, Grady Little was suspended for two games for bumping into McLelland. However, Little is arguing the suspension and has announced that he plans to submit a formal complaint to the league. McLelland called Chone Figgins out for stealing twice and called Eric Chavez safe at second on a double when on all three occurrences, these outcomes were clearly not the case.

Minor League Update

Game 1:

B.J Upton 2-2, 1 BB

Game 2:

B.J. Upton 2-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB

Quotes

Grady Little: "It's absolutely disgraceful how the umpires run the show and nobody even thinks twice when they blow a call. Three blown calls, all against us? Thats no coincidence. I'm going to submit a complaint to the league, because something has to be done if this guy is just going to be blowing calls all over the place. Maybe it is just a coincidence that they were all against us, but if he makes the right calls, we win that game. No excuse for blowing a call like that"

Tim McLelland (second base umpire): "I just made the calls that made sense at the time, I have nothing against the Dodgers. From my perspective, those were the calls that should have been made."

Brandon Webb (about the perfect game): "Yeah, it's exciting, but I wasn't even thinking about it. I was just trying to do as well as I could, and none of the guys told me or anything. Really, I was just trying to get us a win."

Standings Update

The Dodgers are tied with the Giants for first place in the NL West; Both have a 26-15 record.

Next Up

The Dodgers begin interleague play away against the Angels (24-19, 1.5 games back). Chien-Ming Wang will face off against Kris Benson.

Game 41

Mailbag/Sav Reader coming out in a few mins.

If you are wondering, I have nothing against Tim McLelland, he was just the umpire name I picked off the top of my head.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dodgers Home Page

Dodgers Injuries

Dodgers Lineups

Dodgers 25-man Roster

Dodgers Salaries

Dodgers First Half Schedule

Dodgers Second Half Schedule

Dodgers Player Stats

-----

MLB Home Page

MLB Injuries

MLB League Leaders

MLB Standings

MLB Team Stats

For all those curious, Alex Rios' 9 triples do lead the major leagues; the next highest is 6.

The Giants played a game in the off-day between the last game and when these files are being made, hence the half game back.

Washington is... dang.

Mailbag question: Ryan Church is 0 for his last 8 while Posada seems to have temporarily broken from his slump with a 3 for 4 game last time. Do you think they are both starting to head back to their respective career norms, or do you think this is going to end up as a breakout season for Church and a disappointing one for Posada?

Things have change a bit since you sent this in, but it's still absolutely a valid question.

I think that Church is on his way to a breakout season. He's never really gotten a chance to start in the majors and with this opportunity, he is just taking advantage of it. Sure, he slumped for a few days, but you have to remember that he was just coming from a hamstring strain, and even when athletes don't want to admit it, an injury like that effects everything in their game.

As for Posada, it's starting to look like he is returning to his career norms. Perhaps he isn't going to have a huge season, but what else can you expect from a guy his age? I think that it might be a bit of a down year for him, but he's still got game. The guy is a gamer.

Sorry for the late update, got delayed by going out to dinner.

Dodgers Edged Out By Strong Performance

Figgins steals thirtieth base; on pace for Dodgers record

Los Angeles, CA. Though Albert Pujols powered his fifteenth homer and Chien-Ming Wang was dominant again, the Dodgers failed to pull out a win as the bats struggled against starter Kris Benson.

The Angels got their first run early on with a second inning home run by Craig Biggio. In the fifth inning, they tacked on another run. Though Albert Pujols retaliated in the seventh inning, the Dodgers could not pull out a win and Angels pitcher Jason Davis closed it out for his seventh save.

Worryingly, the Dodgers made another two errors, their fifth straight game with an error, and seventh in their last five games. They are expected to take extended fielding practice before their next game.

Player of the Game: Craig Biggio

With his 47th and 48th hits of the season, Craig Biggio helped the Angels to a win and helped himself on his search for hit number 3000. He has just 22 hits left before he reaches 3000. The Angels veteran is also nearing 300 homers; he has 287 and needs just thirteen more.

Chone Figgins steals thirtieth base

With a steal of second base, Chone Figgins stole his thirtieth base and put himself on pace for a Dodgers record 116 stolen bases. The record is currently held by Maury Wills, who stole 104 bases for the Dodgers in 1962.

League to make decision on McLelland/Little incident by end of May

A spokesman for the National League announced that a decision on the incident between umpire Tim McLelland and Grady Little will be made by the end of May.

Minor League Update

B.J. Upton: 1-4, 1 K

T. Lincecum: 9.0 IP, W, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 10 SO, 1 HR

Quotes

Chone Figgins: "I'm very proud to be going after this record; it means a lot to me. I'm really just trying to help the team, but if I'm helping myself on the way there, that's a plus. I'm really lucky to be on such a great team."

Standings Update

Giants: 27-16, 0 GB

Dodgers: 26-16, 0.5 GB

Next Up

Chuck James will face off with Joe Kennedy for the middle game of the series.

Game 42

Grady Little Plans to "Mix Up" Lineup Before Next Game

In a pre-game conference to discuss the recent Dodgers slump, Dodgers manager Grady Little announced that he planned to "mix up" the Dodgers lineup prior to the next game. In addition, GM Paul DePodesta says that currently no trades are in the works, but the Dodgers are considering adding a bat; in the meantime, multiple roster moves are expected prior to the next game between the Angels and Dodgers.

Though the Dodgers pitchers have been strong over recent games, the bats have died out, especially outfielders Ryan Church, Alex Rios, and Melky Cabrera.

Hey guys, I have a question... Once the 2008 mods start coming out, should I start a new 2008 dynasty or continue this one? If I continue this one, I will continue in this format, but if I start a 2008 dynasty, I will do it similar to how sfgiantfslgators is doing his dynasty, playing one game of each series and simming the rest, so it will go faster. Thoughts?

James, Relief Pitchers Struggle in Loss

Roster swap gives Kurt Suzuki first career home run

Los Angeles, CA. Chuck James struggled again, falling to 1-6, though the rest of the team didn't do too well either. Kurt Suzuki drove in the only Dodgers runs in his major league debut, and the Angels offense kept on going as the Dodgers dropped their second straight game. Joe Kennedy put in another strong performance, dropping his ERA to 3.68 and giving up just two runs, and the Angels bullpen allowed just two hits; on the other hand, Chuck James struggled, giving up three runs in four innings, and though Edgar Gonzalez was dominant in his first two innings of relief, he struggled in his third, and Takashi Saito allowed another two runs in the eighth inning.

Kurt Suzuki's throwing error gave the Dodgers eight errors over their last six games.

Player of the Game: Rocco Baldelli

Angels right fielder Rocco Baldelli went 3-for-5 with two runs, as he helped lead the Angels to victory. He made several spectacular catches in right field and also stole a base.

Dodgers perform roster swap

The Dodgers optioned Shane Costa to Triple-A Las Vegas and Jose Cruz, Jr., cleared waivers and was also sent to Triple-A. Cruz, Jr., went 0-for-2 and was only used as a pinch hitter in his stint with the Dodgers, and Costa was 1-for-7 with just one start in his stint.

To fill the free spots on the roster, the Dodgers called up top catching prospect Kurt Suzuki from Triple-A and converted OF B.J. Upton from Double-A. Suzuki was hitting very well in Triple A, and Upton had been hitting well since his conversion, though he struggled to start off the season.

Kurt Suzuki has up-and-down debut

Making his major league debut and starting at catcher, Dodgers prospect Kurt Suzuki had an up-and-down day. He started off well, hitting a home run into right field on his first pitch. He is only the second Dodger since 1957 to hit a home run in his first plate appearance. He contributed the second Dodger RBI with a single in the seventh inning.

However, he struggled on defense, allowing two runners to steal second, one of them on a wild throw that allowed a run to score. On the other hand, he made a great tag to get Benito Santiago out at the plate.

Angels DH Ryan Spilborghs injured on slide into second base; Placed on DL

While sliding into second base to help the Angels avoid a double play on a Vernon Wells grounder, Angels DH Ryan Spilborghs inflamed his right elbow. He is expected to go on the disabled list and miss two to three weeks.

Angels extend win streak to 8 games

With the win today, the Angels extended their win streak to eight games. They currently lead the NL West.

League decision on McLelland/Little incident still pending

National League executives met with Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig today as they begin meeting to discuss the incident between umpire Tim McLelland and Grady Little. Little is expected to come in for a hearing on his off-day, as is McLelland.

Quotes

Grady Little: I was hoping for a little more offense out of the new lineup, but it didn't work so I might have to make some more drastic changes. Hopefully, something will work and things will pick up.

Kurt Suzuki: I'm really glad that I had such a good debut, though I wish I hadn't blown those two steals. The guys, they're so great, they were just cool about it. They got me my home run ball, too, which is cool because now I know I have my first home run ball, and thats special.

Standings Update

Giants: 28-16, 0.0 GB

Dodgers: 26-17, 1.5 GB

Rockies: 25-18, 2.5 GB

Preliminary All-Star Voting

With the results from the first week of fan All-Star voting, three Dodgers are among the leaders in votes at their respective positions. Albert Pujols, who leads the NL with 15 homers, is the NL leader at first base; Chone Figgins and Alex Rios, both among the best offensive players thus far in the season, are second and third in the outfield votes.

Next Up

Gil Meche makes his second Dodgers start against Chris Carpenter as the Dodgers try to prevent a sweep and the Angels go for their ninth straight win.

Game 43

Please send in mailbag questions!

Hey guys, I have a question... Once the 2008 mods start coming out, should I start a new 2008 dynasty or continue this one? If I continue this one, I will continue in this format, but if I start a 2008 dynasty, I will do it similar to how sfgiantfslgators is doing his dynasty, playing one game of each series and simming the rest, so it will go faster. Thoughts?

[align=right]Dodgers: 4 - Angels: 1

WP: Gil Meche (5-3) - LP: Chris Carpenter (3-5) - SV: Huston Street (12)

HR LAD: Kurt Suzuki (2) - HR LAA: Benito Santiago (4)[/align]

All Around Good Performance by Dodgers Leads to Victory

Kurt Suzuki makes Dodgers history with homer in second straight game

Los Angeles, CA. Gil Meche was strong, allowing just four hits over 6 and a third innings to help the Dodgers prevent a series sweep by the city rival Angels. Kurt Suzuki hit his second home run, Chone Figgins and Ryan Church both doubled, and the Dodgers played a good all around game to get the win. Though Meche hit centerfielder Vernon Wells twice, it was clear that there was no intention and no tensions were flared. The Dodgers combined to strike out nine batters while walking just one, and the relief corps were strong, with Huston Street locking down his first save in fourteen games.

The Dodgers are 9-9 in May after a strong 18-8 April, but if they get hot again they could have a strong finish to the month.

In addition, the Dodgers finally had an errorless game, ending their streak of games with an error at six games.

Player of the Game: Kurt Suzuki

Rookie catcher Kurt Suzuki went two-for-four and hit his second home run to lead the Dodgers to a win and helped the Dodgers prevent a sweep.

In addition, Suzuki made Dodgers history by becoming the first Dodger to begin his career with two home runs in two games.

Update on Angels DH Ryan Spilborghs

Though yesterday it was reported that Angels DH Ryan Spilborghs would miss two to three weeks with an inflamed elbow, further examination showed him to be healthy and he will not be placed on the disabled list. He was healthy enough that the Angels cleared him to play DH in today's game.

Angels win streak snapped at eight games

With their win today, the Dodgers snapped the eight game win streak that the Angels carried into today's game. The Angels lead the AL West division.

League schedules hearing with Little

Officials from the National League scheduled a hearing with Dodgers manager Grady Little about the incident he had with Tim McLelland. The hearing is scheduled for the Dodgers off day on Thursday, May 24.

Minor League Update

RHP Brandon Morrow (AAA): 7.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR

1B Brad Eldred (AAA): 2-4, 1 BB, 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 HR

Quotes

Grady Little: "I don't think that Kurt [suzuki] can keep up this pace, but he's obviously hot right now, and that means that I'll keep on playing him, even if it means that Jorge [Posada] has to sit. But I think that we'll find some way to get them both in the lineup."

Standings Update

Giants: 29-16, 0.0 GB

Dodgers: 27-17, 1.5 GB

Rockies: 25-19, 3.5 GB

Next Up

Freddy Garcia faces off against Clay Hensley back in Dodger Stadium as the Dodgers take on the Brewers. The Dodgers swept the Brewers in three games to start off the season,

Old News

With the results from the first week of fan All-Star voting, three Dodgers are among the leaders in votes at their respective positions. Albert Pujols, who leads the NL with 15 homers, is the NL leader at first base; Chone Figgins and Alex Rios, both among the best offensive players thus far in the season, are second and third in the outfield votes.

Dodgers perform roster swap

The Dodgers optioned Shane Costa to Triple-A Las Vegas and Jose Cruz, Jr., cleared waivers and was also sent to Triple-A. Cruz, Jr., went 0-for-2 and was only used as a pinch hitter in his stint with the Dodgers, and Costa was 1-for-7 with just one start in his stint.

To fill the free spots on the roster, the Dodgers called up top catching prospect Kurt Suzuki from Triple-A and converted OF B.J. Upton from Double-A. Suzuki was hitting very well in Triple A, and Upton had been hitting well since his conversion, though he struggled to start off the season.

Game 44

I added a few new features to my recap, I hope you like it.

[align=right]Brewers: 2 - Dodgers: 9

WP: Clay Hensley (4-1) - LP: Freddy Garcia (2-7)

HR MIL: - HR LAD: B.J. Upton 2 (2), Jorge Posada (6), Ryan Church (4)[/align]

Dodgers Crush Brewers as Upton Hits Two

Kurt Suzuki continues hot streak; Hensley strong again; Dodgers run out with unique defensive alignment

Los Angeles, CA. Clay Hensley was strong again as the Dodgers broke out the bats to crush the Brewers. B.J. Upton contributed two homers in addition to Ryan Church and Jorge Posada both contributing one, and the Dodgers combined for seventeen hits. The Brewers scored two runs on two sacrifice flies but could not mount a rally against a dominant Clay Hensley, Takashi Saito, and Andy Sisco.

During the game, the Dodgers ran out an interesting defensive alignment in an effort to get as many bats in the game as possible. Kurt Suzuki manned backstop, Jorge Posada took over first base, with Albert Pujols sliding over to third for the first time since 2002. Chone Figgins manned shortstop in replacement of Alex Gonzalez. Surprisingly, the Dodgers defense was strong and managed to prevent errors while still making most of the plays. Albert Pujols in particular contributed several amazing dives to snatch up sure hits.

Player of the Game: B.J. Upton

Outfielder B.J. Upton has been strong since being called back up from the minor leagues, and today he had his strongest day yet, contributing two hits and two home runs, his first two of the season. He also had three RBI and two runs to help lead the offense.

Kurt Suzuki continues hot streak

Rookie catcher Kurt Suzuki went 3-3 with three singles and a walk, crossing the plate once to help lead the Dodgers to a second straight win. Since coming up, Suzuki, 23, who is a Hawaiian native, is 7-10 with two home runs and a walk.

Minor League Update

SS Adrian Cardenas (A): 1-4, 2 RBI

RHP Bryan Bullington (AAA): Loss, 5.2 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 0 HR

Quotes

Grady Little: I don't think a lineup like the one we ran out there today will really work. Jorge [Posada] was fine at first base, and Kurt Suzuki is a fine catcher, but Albert [Pujols] doesn't really have the arm for third, and Chone [Figgins] isn't really a shortstop. It will be a challenge to get all these bats in the lineup. I might run out this lineup for a few days, but it's obviously not one we can run out often because we don't want to cripple our defense.

Standings Update

Giants: 29-17, 0.0 GB

Dodgers: 28-17, 0.5 GB

Rockies: 25-20, 3.5 GB

Next Up

The Dodgers will send Brandon Webb out against Milwaukee's Tim Wakefield. In his first start this season, against the Dodgers, the knuckleballer took a loss, giving up four runs, three earned, in 7 innings, and giving up two homers. In his first start this season, against the Brewers, Brandon Webb gave up one run in seven innings.

Old News

League schedules hearing with Little

Officials from the National League scheduled a hearing with Dodgers manager Grady Little about the incident he had with Tim McLelland. The hearing is scheduled for the Dodgers off day on Thursday, May 24.

Game 45

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I'm sad to say that soon I will be reformatting. Because of this, I plan to sim the rest of the dynasty and post what happens just to give everyone involved some closure. I hope you enjoyed this dynasty, I know I did. I am really sorry to disappoint, but recently I am finding that I really do not have time for this dynasty, and in addition, my computer is incredibly slow with MVP '05.

In the aftermath, here is what happened:

The AL won the All-Star game with Roy Oswalt getting the win and the All-Star MVP. The Dodgers sent Brandon Webb, Chien-Ming Wang, Huston Street, Alex Rios, and Albert Pujols to the ASG, the most of any team.

The AL MVP was Bobby Abreu; NL was Albert Pujols. AL Cy Young was Curt Schilling; NL was Johan Santana. AL RoY was Delmon Young; NL was Kurt Suzuki, who finished with 26 homers in a Braunian performance, but with better defence and from a more difficult position.

Chone Figgins and Albert Pujols ended up with silver slugger awards, and Huston Street got the DHL Reliever of the Year award.

The Dodgers ended the season tied with the Rockies, so they won the one-game playoff to finish the season 93-70. They proceeded to win every game in the playoffs to win the World Series; Huston Street, who saved all four World Series' games, won the Series MVP award.

Archived