My trippy Dodger dynasty

TwentySeven

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dodgers Drop Final Game in Extras

Tim Lincecum Optioned to AAA

In the rubber game of their second series versus division rival Giants, the Dodger fell over in extra innings. The Dodgers carried a lead through the seventh inning when Chien-Ming Wang gave up back-to-back homers to lead off the inning and tie the game up. The tie would remain until the twelfth, when Tim Lincecum gave up back-to-back homers to turn over a lead. The Dodgers would score again in the bottom of the inning, but it wasn't enough, and the Dodgers dropped the game.

The Dodgers have made errors in 4 straight games, and have 6 total. The defensive blunders have raised a search for defensive efficiency; the Dodgers have been scheduled for fielding practice sessions before their next game.

Their next game is scheduled against the Padres; Bryan Bullington makes his first start this season against Brad Thompson.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy was ejected in the 7th inning after an inning-ending double play in which Julio Lugo was doubled off of second base on a flyout to left field.

Tim Lincecum, who has had a disappointing season in both the Dodgers rotation and bullpen, was optioned down to AAA to work on getting his pitching back up to par. To fill out the Dodgers 25-man roster, top relief prospect Scott Moore was called up. He projects to be a set-up man for the Dodgers.

Game 22

Dodgers Edged Out in Squeaker

Randy Wolf Suffers Setback

In the first game of their second series against the Padres, the Dodgers got edged out in a game that was tight to the very end. This led to their season high second straight loss. A matchup of scrub pitchers in Bryan Bullington and Brad Thompson led to several runs early on, but both bullpens locked down the game once the starters were removed and the Dodgers were unable to score and tie or take a lead.

Albert Pujols enjoyed a great game, going four-for-five with a homer, a double, three RBI, and two runs. He has helped set the pace for the Dodgers this season.

With the Dodgers losing, the Giants moved to within one game of the division lead which the Dodgers currently hold

-Grady Little on Bryan Bullington: "Yeah, I talked it over with Paul [Recently reinstated GM Paul DePodesta], and we decided that we would give him one more shot in the rotation before we sent him back down. We really don't have much of a choice, considering the struggles with him and Tim [Lincecum], and with Randy Wolf being out. Not only that, but Clay [Hensley] has struggled as a starter."

-Grady Little on recently called up pitcher Scott Moore: "Oh yeah, he has great stuff, that changeup is devastating. He has a shot to be a real good pitcher. It showed today, in his debut he gave up a hit, but it was a really lucky bloop shot, and he was pretty confident and I have faith in him. It's starting to look like our bullpen will be a really big strength for us."

Injury Updates: Jonny Gomes, who is scheduled to come off the disabled list within the next week, will be sent down to Single-A to begin rehabbing on his fractured hand. He is expected to spend at least a week in Single-A, and based on how he performs, he could move up between the minors and reach the majors again within two weeks.

Randy Wolf suffered a major setback on his recovery from a concussion as he was rehospitalized out of his house in a Los Angeles suburb with a case of head pains and vomiting. He was expected to return from the disabled list in two weeks to extended Spring Training, but the setback pushes his recovery back until he can become healthy. Wolf was moved onto the 60-Day disabled list, and will likely have examinations for treatment of post-concussion syndrome, or PCS. PCS is known to damage many careers; it already ended the career of Mike Matheny, and it will likely also end the career of Corey Koskie.

Trade Rumors: Rumors of trades have surfaced over the Dodgers discussing trades to acqurie a starting pitcher. Rumors include players such as Jonny Gomes (blocked by breakout star Ryan Church), and Dan Johnson (blocked by Albert Pujols). In addition, the Dodgers will likely use some of their minor league prospect depth in going after a pitcher to help with their rotation struggles. The struggles date back from when Randy Wolf was injured, which also happens to be when Tim Lincecum began struggling.

Tomorrow is John Patterson vs. Chuck James

Game 23

• 3 weeks later...

So...

Tomorrow I will probably be able to start playing again...

I also want to eventually post a bit of my long term GM plans with the dynasty - what moves I want to make. I'll probably be dealing out a lot of top prospects when I get an opportunity, because if you've done a fantasy draft dynasty you would know that the CPU is really bad at picking good prospects... So, I have a lot.... A LOT...

I don't really have day-to-day sliders, I'm constantly tinkering because I haven't been able to find a good set yet, but if I do I'll be sure to let you know.

I'm not clear on what you mean about the homers. Do you mean that I hit too many? Not enough? Just the right amount?

As for hits down the lines, I'd say its pretty evenly split in terms of extra base hits down the line versus regular. What you'd expect from a real team.

um...wat i meant about the long ball was that it's far more realistic than some of the other dynasties...cuz it's good to see a team go for a few days w/o someone hitting one out...( other dynasties, the heaven and hell will collide if someone doesn't homers...-___-)

you're preloading right?...that's why there's more down the line basehits...

when i late-load..i usually hit those huge gaps in the outfield

I don't really know exactly what preloading and lateloading are, but I suspect that you mean that I'm swinging early and/or late. In which case yes, I never really get the perfect read on when to swing so I do swing early and late sometimes, though occasionally I get the perfect swing in and thats when I get a homer.

Good to see you're enjoying my dynasty man!

Dodgers Pitching Woes Continue in Fourth Straight Loss

B.J. Upton Sent Down, Top Prospect Morrow Called Up

San Diego, CA. In the second game of their series versus the division rival Padres, the Dodgers pitching failed to step up and help prevent their season high third straight loss. Though the Dodgers remained in first place with a Giants loss on the day, the Giants have been nipping at their heels and the Dodgers need to improve their pitching, which has been struggling for weeks. A homer by Albert Pujols gave the Dodgers an early lead, but the Padres quickly made the lead up, and after a see-saw set of innings from the first to the third innings, the Padres gained a lead they would never relinquish. Homers by Mike Piazza, Mark Ellis, and Reed Johnson were highlights of their 12-hit performance. Mike Piazza, in addition to homering, had three other hits in a four-for-four game.

B.J. Upton optioned to Single-A San Bernardino, Brandon Morrow's contract purchased from Triple-A Las Vegas

Infielder B.J. Upton was sent down to Single-A San Bernardino after the game due to both his struggles at the plate and a potential position change.

Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta said, "We think that B.J. has a future home in the outfield, and what with him struggling at the plate, we felt that it was a perfect time to send him down to gain some experience in center field."

In addition, Dodgers pitching prospect Brandon Morrow's contracted was purchased and he was added to the 25-man roster to help fill a pitching hole that has been caused in the past few days by pitching struggles and injuries. Morrow is expected to slide into the starting spot that was previously held by Bryan Bullington, which allows the Dodgers to move Bullington into the bullpen as a long reliever. Morrow has been very successful for AAA, and has become a very good starting pitching prospect.

Game 24

I wasn't near patient enough, but I'll write that up to not playing in a month.

Dodgers Edge Out Padres In Series Finale

Top Prospect Braun Out For Season; Langerhans Released Outright; Rouse Called Up

San Diego, CA. Albert Pujols homered for the third straight game, but this time the Dodgers took advantage of his homer to get a win and prevent a sweep by the Padres. The win also ended a season high losing streak for the Dodgers at four games. The Giants also won their game, which kept them a game behind the Dodgers in the NL West race.

Dodgers set-up man Francisco Cordero's tumultuous season continued as he surrendered a two-run homer in his inning of work to allow the Padres to come within one run, though closer Huston Street was able to come in and lock it down for the Dodgers.

Top Prospect Ryan Braun Out For Season

Dodgers top hitting prospect Ryan Braun's season is expected to have ended with a broken left tibia. The third baseman was injured in a close play at third base where the base runner slid into third base trying to avoid a tag and unexpectedly knocked Braun over. Braun, who was expected to be called up sometime this season to take over third base duties, was hitting .314 with seven home runs, but he was kept in the minors because of worries that his defense would be inadequate.

Ryan Langerhans Released by Dodgers

The Dodgers released outfielder Ryan Langerhans after todays game. Langerhans, 27, was hitting .091 in limited playing time, and though he performed exceptional defense, the Dodgers couldn't find any room for him to play.

Utilityman Rouse Called Up To Dodgers

The Dodgers called up utilityman Mike Rouse from Triple-A Las Vegas after the game, to fill the vacancy created by Ryan Langerhans' departure. He is expected to fill something of a utility role and help sub in at third base, where the starter, Jose Bautista, has struggled.

Game 25

I was more patient, so I'm getting there.

CF Alexis Rios Clubs Three Homers in Victory; Pujols homers for fourth straight game

RF Gomes activated, sent for rehab

Los Angeles, CA. Dodgers centerfielder Alexis Rios had quite a game, setting a career high with three homers, including a homer to lead off the game. The Dodgers couldn't capitalize on the homers, all three being solo homers, but they still managed to get a victory on the heels of ace Brandon Webb throwing an excellent game.

Webb only gave up one run on a bad pitch to Miguel Cabrera early on, but in the ninth inning, struggled to get an out, prompting an early hook. However, Francisco Cordero locked it down and the Dodgers took the victory.

Dodgers 1B Albert Pujols clubbed a homer for his fourth straight game, keeping him in the league lead over Ryan Shealy (9) and putting him one behind the overall major league leaders who have 12. In addition, his 35 RBI lead the majors.

RF Jonny Gomes activated, sent to AA Jacksonville for rehab

Dodgers RF Jonny Gomes was activated from the disabled list and sent to AA Jacksonville to begin rehabbing his fractured hand. He started the season in a platoon with Ryan Church, but since Church's excellent play began and Gomes' injury, the Dodgers are expected to deal Gomes in a package with Dan Johnson in exchange for a starting pitcher over the next month.

Game 26

My next game might not be for a few days - I was installing an overlay and it had an auto-installer, so I unknowingly installed a mod I didn't want. I interrupted the install partway through and the game wouldn't start so I had to complete the install. My game does run, but it's slow, the overlay is clogging up my viewscreen, all my settings and stuff are changed, it's just a pain. I will probably have to reinstall to get my settings back because I don't know what files were changed. So my next game might not be for a couple of days, though this dynasty definitely isn't over.

Dodgers 2B Kendrick Ends Power Outage to Push Dodgers to 3rd Straight Win

Brandon Morrow to Make Major League Debut Tomorrow

Los Angeles, CA. Dodgers 2B Howie Kendrick ended his season-long power outage with his first home run of the season, a shot driven to deep center to give the Dodgers their first run of the day. Chien-Ming Wang was dominant for six innings, scattering 8 hits and giving up just one run while striking out 4. Chone Figgins stole his major-league leading 17th and 18th bases, and Mike Rouse collected his first hit and RBI on the season with a clutch hit to give the Dodgers a lead their bullpen wouldn't give up. Albert Pujols' home run streak ended at four games, but he collected a hit and a walk to help the Dodgers.

In the first inning, Jorge Posada caught Miguel Cabrera attempting to steal second. Posada has caught 6-of-12 baserunners attempting to steal a base, an impressive 50% total.

The one run that the Diamondbacks scored was from a disputed play in which Moises Alou hit a grounder to first base. Albert Pujols scooped it up and tossed to Chien-Ming Wang who stepped on the base; however, Alou was called safe. Instant replay showed that Wang had stepped on the bag several seconds before Alou reached it and Alou was clearly out, and that's how Grady Little thought as he argued the call until he was ejected by the first-base umpire.

Takashi Saito entered the tie game and gave up two hits but managed to hold the tie, and the Dodgers rewarded his effort by scoring two runs for a lead which wouldn't be relinquished by Eddie Guardado and Huston Street.

Brandon Morrow Makes Debut

Tomorrow, Brandon Morrow will make his major league debut in an attempt to give the Dodgers a sweep over the Diamondbacks. He will pitch against Angel Guzman.

Trade Rumors

The Dodgers have been connected to several of the mid-level pitchers who are rumored to be available for trade. A likely trade package would include Dan Johnson and Jonny Gomes, who are two very good hitters, which has made the Dodgers reluctant to pull the strings on a trade. "We don't want to be too hasty, we've got some good pitching talent like Brandon Morrow, and we don't really know when Randy Wolf will be coming back" said Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta.

Game 27

Morrow Pounded in Debut as Dodgers Blown Out 17-9

Posada Sprains Ankle

Los Angeles, CA. In his major league debut, Brandon Morrow could barely get any outs, and none of the relievers who followed could either. Morrow gave up hits to 10 of the 21 batters he faced. He was pounded, throwing 51 pitches through 3 innings before being pulled from the game. Following the game, he was optioned back down to AAA Las Vegas.

In the first inning, Ryan Church hit his second homer of the season to cut the D-Backs lead to just 1 run; however the D-Backs would score again... and again... to push the game into a blowout.

In the sixth inning, Jorge Posada sprained his ankle running out a double; Rene Rivera was placed in the game. However, the sprain was categorized as "minor", and following the off-day, Posada will probably only have to miss one to two starts.

Bryan Bullington and Andy Sisco were also hit hard, and Bullington has been optioned down to AAA again.

RHP B. Bullington and B. Morrow optioned to AAA Las Vegas; T. Lincecum and R. Wagner recalled to Los Angeles

Following their poor performances, Bryan Bullington and Brandon Morrow were both optioned to AAA to put some fresh arms in the Dodgers bullpen. Lincecum will pitch the next game against Atlanta as Chuck James' turn in the rotation will be skipped, and Ryan Wagner joins the pen as the latest fresh arm.

Trade Rumors

As the back end of the Dodgers rotation got pounded again, the Dodgers once more got linked in another major trade rumor, and the latest seems to have some credibility behind it. The latest theory links the Dodgers to right hander Gil Meche of the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals are in last place with several aging players and intend to trade Meche for top prospects or young talent to help rebuild their core for the future. They brought in Meche over the offseason in the hopes that he would only need to supplement their rotation, but their rotation has struggled and their hope is that they can bring in enough young talent to make up for the loss of Meche. Meche is 4-1 with a 3.31 ERA in 32 and 2/3 innings, and has struck out 20 batters while walking just 7.

Latest rumors suggest that two of the pitchers who got shelled in the Dodgers game could also be on their ways out. Though most rumors are centered around the Dodgers dealing their extra talent, outfielder Jonny Gomes and first baseman Dan Johnson, the latest rumors suggest that they could also be looking to deal Andy Sisco or Bryan Bullington.

Rehab Updates

Jonny Gomes for AA Jacksonville: 2-4

B. J. Upton for A Island Empire: 4-10, 1 RBI, 1 SB; No errors in 3 games in CF

Next Game

Tim Lincecum (LAD) @ Adam Wainwright (ATL)

Game 28

Dodgers Home Page

Dodgers Injuries

Dodgers Lineups

Dodgers 25-man Roster

Dodgers Salaries

Dodgers First Half Schedule

Dodgers Second Half Schedule

Dodgers Player Stats

-----

MLB Home Page

MLB Injuries

MLB League Leaders

MLB Standings

MLB Team Stats

---Yeah, that last game sucked a lot.

espnzn0.png

Dodgers Coming to Deal with Marlins on RHP Lowe?

Los Angeles, CA. ESPN can exclusively report that Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta has entered "serious talks" with Marlins GM Larry Beinfest over pitcher Derek Lowe. Lowe entered the season as an elite pitcher, but the last place Marlins want to jettison their older talent for prospects while the Dodgers want to bring in a pitcher to help curb the struggles in their rotation.

An unnamed insider in the Dodgers organization reported to ESPN that the Dodgers were in "heated discussions" during todays off-day for the Dodgers, and the teams are "close to an agreement" over the right hander. Lowe is signed through 2008 and is owed $19.5 million dollars over duration of his contract. Though Lowe doesn't possess a no-trade clause in his contract, the unnamed insider said that if they trade for Lowe, "an extra option year will be added to the contract" which would allow for a potential extra year in Lowe's contract.

On the other end, the Dodgers have reportedly agreed to send Dan Johnson, Jonny Gomes, and an unnamed minor league starting pitcher and reliever in exchange for Lowe. However, the trade has been held up so far by negotiations over the amount of money the Marlins will absorb - the latest deal would have them sending over a prospect of their own so that the Dodgers can absorb more money.

Lowe has struggled so far this season, going 1-5 with a 4.71 ERA in 36 1/3 innings. He's struck out 27 while walking 12. The 33 year old righty pitched two seasons in Los Angeles before the Fantasy Draft sent him to Florida, but he could be making a return.

Earlier in the season, the Dodgers were rumored to be going after Gil Meche of St. Louis and John Maine of Chicago.

To follow this story with up-to-the-minute news, go to ESPN's Insider Blog.

-This isn't final! Don't count Gil Meche out, he was in my first dynasty and I could just as well bring him to LA too.

-Yeah, I want to trade a bunch of players away because I have too many good minor leaguers.

-PLEASE LEAVE SOME COMMENTS! I think I can hear an echo here! I mean really, I know you guys are watching! :p

Melky Magic Helps Dodgers Overcome Lincecum's Struggles

Lincecum to remain in rotation

Atlanta, Georgia. When Tim Lincecum got sent down only a week ago, the Dodgers intended to keep him in the minors until he could show that he could pitch successfully again. Unfortunately, struggles in the back end of the rotation meant that the Dodgers had to call him up again after only one outing at Triple-A. However, this time out, he gave the Dodgers all he had, and helped them on their way to a win. Lincecum struggled through six and a third innings, but kept the game close enough. Adam Wainwright also struggled for the Braves, and the teams turned over the game to the bullpen in the seventh and eight innings.

The Dodgers bullpen was strong, yielding only 1 hit in two and two thirds of an inning while giving up no runs.

Adam Wainwright left the game after seven innings, and after Scott Baker breezed through the eighth, the scene was set for Melky Cabrera. Melky in to pinch hit for Takashi Saito... Jeremy Affeldt, the Braves' shutdown closer (who had yet to yield a run on the season) in, throwing 95 MPH, and higher. Fastball on the outside corner. And then... A fastball, right down the pipe.

Melky Cabrera creamed the shot into right field and rounded the bases to give the Dodgers a 5-4 lead that would be held by Huston Street for his tenth save and the Dodgers' 20th win.

Grady Little Quotes

Grady Little: "If you look at the box score line, Tim [Lincecum] wasn't all that great, but if you were watching the game, you would have seen that he was on-and-off. In one inning he was a whole 'nother pitcher from the next. He had a few flashes of brilliance where he looked untouchable, and we think that we can get him to repeat that success."

Derek Lowe Update

Rumors continued to swirl around the much expected Derek Lowe trade. A trade was rumored to have been agreed upon today, but no deal was announced by either team and the commissioners office remained silent about any information they received.

Next Up

Clay Hensley looks to remain in the rotation, appearing against Chad Gaudin.

Game 29

-School has started, so games less often.

-COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

Archived