If baseball were like football...

TwentySeven

What I'm interested in today is how would baseball be different if the schedule was more like the football schedule - one game a week and all that.

The most obvious thing is that there would no value in #2 starters - each time would sign an ace and maybe a backup starter but there would be no reason to go after a full five man rotation...

Rosters would have to be smaller - 25 is a bit much for one game a week. I think fifteen, with a 25 man inactive roster (25 man roster = the real life 40 man roster) is fair - 9 starters (or eight starters in the NL), two starters, two relievers, two bench players, and one discretionary spot in the NL.

I think the divisions would have to be realigned to be similar to the one that already exists in the NFL.

The statistics would be far less valuable because of the small samples...

You wouldn't worry as much about which players are greater injury risks, you would go after the best pitcher available...

The minor leagues would probably be worthless; teams would draft the best college player they can and send him right to the MLB.

What else would change?

IMO ...

I think Baseball should be re-aligned anyway ... more like how the NFL is re-aligned. 2 leagues of 4 divisions of 4 teams each.

But, if the schedules are reduced to that of the NFL ....

1. There would be 16 games in addition to maybe one bye week

2. There may not be any interleague play

3. Each team would need to adapt their playing schedule ... to say one game at home and one game away against each divisional rival (for 6 total games out of the 16 ... if 2 and 2, it would be 12 games)

4. As said above, there would be no need for that many starters .. I would have two starters on the team.

5. A total of 8 HRs and 12 RBIs per year would be considered great.

6. A new playoff system would need to be used ... if there were 2 leagues of 4 divisions of 4 teams each, there would be 4 divisional winners in each league and I would have 2 wild card teams per league as well, where the top two teams have a one week bye

7. Baseball tickets would be more expensive than they are now just to be able to make a profit

8. The players' salaries won't be as much since baseball won't be able to make as much money as now

9. The quality of the baseball players or quantity of baseball players who are just money hungry won't be playing the game and will be doing something else with their lives such as actually contributing to society in a positive manner instead of acting like old kids :) (which means the quality and drama of baseball may decrease and people may lose interest in the game since the season won't last as long as it does now)

The term "any given sunday" would apply to baseball and the better team may not always win (as seen in the first round of the playoffs at times).

Then baseball would suck.
I agree. One of the great things about baseball is that it's not at all like football or basketball or soccer or rugby or tennis or golf or whatever... it's baseball. TS, stop giving me nightmares! :)

Archived