Ability to put custom HTML in posts?

RaysFTW

Great. So we can type all in HTML and say things like "<p>" instead of just... pushing the enter button.

HTML would be convenient if you want to embed something like a video, but it would probably involve javascript, and you'd have to decide if you want that.

Well, <p> is a standard tag. To be honest, I'd agree with kraw, basic HTML can be very insecure and would leave the site open to all sorts of vulnerabilities if allowed in posts. A limited amount of tags I could see - for example, things like <hr> for a horizontal line can already be used - but allowing script-wide HTML would bring in more problems than benefits.

It's up to Trues at the end of the day. I like the idea, but I can't see it happening. Sorry Kazmir.

Just as what was pretty much said above, I don't think it is advisable to add custom HTML tags in the posts.

Most users may have good intentions but there may be some users that would take advantage of this and hack the site or more likely spam (and hijack) threads. Javascript definitely should never be allowed since users can redirect the post to another site.

The interface that is currently available is good enough. It's simple to use, especially for someone who doesn't know HTML and doesn't take a long time to use. Imagine how long it would take to type an HTML post. And as ABC and others alluded to, some of the HTML tags are unnecessary such as the Paragraph "<p>" tag.

Not only that, but if you allowed users to enter their own HTML tags and the users don't correctly close ending HTML tags for example, then the rest of the page may not correctly display. And then, either the post's author or the admins would have to correct the situation. If this was to happen, there may have to be code to check to see if the users' HTML code is valid.

Some more buttons could be added to the Message toolbar in addition with the font type and color but that is all that should be modified if anything. The best thing is for this site to control what tags are used and not used instead of the users.

Just like Mark said, it's up to the owner of the site but before anything is done, just make sure it's secure. But, if you say other places do this already successfully and nothing happens, then it may be something to tinker with. Just wanted to share my opinion. Good luck with whatever happens.

Archived