good rebuilding team??

shinderhizzle84

The Giants, I think. Not many superstars, except Lincecum. If you can find a taker for Zito, you would have the money to work with. So definitely the Giants IMO.

but just in case we see a new shinderhizzle dynasty on the boards in the coming days, we wont hold it against you :lol:

I actually think the Oakland A's are an interesting team. That team is just loaded with prospects all over the place.

And you can deal the excess pitching prospects for a big bat (like say a Prince Fielder type). I can easily see that team contending in the AL West as early as 2010.

yeah kc might be good, but i think it would be difficult for me to watch my team lose so much, especially because i almost always sim the first one or two years, depending on how good/bad the team is.

I've made a couple with the bucs, i really love their jerseys--but i almost always fail with them. might go with the reds, actually. I had a dynasty with them a while ago, but i deleted it as of late to make a marlins one, but that hasn't worked out too well for me, unfortunately.

I mean, i know that part of the rebuilding process is waiting patiently for your team to stop sucking so bad and start winning more, but i don't want to be sucking TOO bad, you know what i mean??? lol.

I figured that you may want a team with no established stars and low payroll. Most teams have at least one star, but the low payroll teams are exactly the teams that were mentioned. Im biased towrds the Tribe and Reds, because of my home state. The Tribe, however, are up in payroll and superstars.

So to sum it up, the Giants and A's out west, the Buccs in the east. If you can trade a few of the high priced players in Baltimore for a couple of cant miss prospects, Id say hop on that bandwagon. The Birds have a nice core of young talents as well, and Markakis is a cant miss.

hey guys, thanks for the advice.

i'm definitely highly considering the A's or the Bucs, but here's my question:

with mvp 08, what are some trades that you guys would suggest with both teams??? I'm just seeing because whichever group of trades i find more to my liking is the team i will end up playing with.

I actually came up with an idea for a Prince Fielder trade to the Oakland A's.. Here's what I think might be a possible trade, this is more of a real-life trade rather than a video game trade though.

A's trade the ff:

Huston Street

Justin Duchscherer

Ryan Sweeney or Travis Buck

Greg Smith or Dana Eveland

Vin Mazzaro

for Prince Fielder and Alcides Escobar.

I'll break down some of the trade pieces..

Huston Street: Gives the Brewers a closer. Given all their bullpen woes this season, I'd think they would like to have Street.

Justin Duchscherer: Gives the Brewers a good starting pitcher option. Doosh led the majors in ERA for some time last season, but he did get hurt come August I think. With both Sheets and CC likely to leave the Brewers, they could use another starting pitcher.

Ryan Sweeney or Travis Buck: Both are ML ready outfielders, although I think the Brewers will be more interested in Sweeney. He'd be a younger, cheaper option for CF compared to exercising Mike Cameron's $10M option..

Greg Smith or Dana Eveland: Smith is a crafty left-hander who gets by with throwing pitches that have a lot of movement. Eveland, on the other hand, is a left-handed sinker baller. Both Smith and Eveland, I think, project to either a 3rd or 4th starter.

Mazzaro: Hard-throwing right hander.. Probably a year away from the majors.. Oakland can throw him into this deal given their surplus of young pitching.

I don't think I need to explain the impact of Prince Fielder, while Alcides Escobar gives them a shortstop prospect who looks to be one year away from cracking the bigs, so he can be their starting SS in 2010. Bobby Crosby's contract expires after 2009 so there wouldn't be a logjam at SS.

Then you can have Fielder play DH, move Jack Cust back to left field.. Move Carlos Gonzalez to CF (if you trade Sweeney). Come 2010, Crosby and Cust come off the books, and you can call up Aaron Cunningham to play left field and the aforementioned Escobar to take over SS. I think Adrian Cardenas would be ready to take over 2nd base by around that time.

I'll try to think up of some moves for the Pirates as well.

Very nicely done McLean, probable, but not likey though.

Escobar is a no trade as far as the Brewers FO are concerned. Shapiro asked for Escobar and the Brewers said no. So Shaps went with LaPorta. I think LaPorta was the first option, but he was probably using it as a decoy....anyway, it was no dice. I like Escobar, and I wanted him over LaPorta to begin with. But I digress.

Lets see the Buccs scenario. Im liking this.

Is it me, or are the A's turning out pitchers like clockwork? Their ability to turn draft picks into top MLB pitchers is off the charts. They rebuild while they reload...lol

I don't understand the logic of trading 4 or 5 good contributors for one great one.

To me, the A's would not be fun since they've already trading all of their tradable parts, except Chavez, for young prospects. They've already done the work for you.

The Giants players are too old or over-rated to get anyone to give up prospects for them. Zito's contract makes him untradable.

Texas might be an interesting club.

I don't understand the logic of trading 4 or 5 good contributors for one great one.

To me, the A's would not be fun since they've already trading all of their tradable parts, except Chavez, for young prospects. They've already done the work for you.

The Giants players are too old or over-rated to get anyone to give up prospects for them. Zito's contract makes him untradable.

Texas might be an interesting club.

I see your points, but the Giants are the perfect club to rebuild from the ground up. If it wasnt for Zito hamstringing the organization, they would have a buttload of bucks to play with. B onds is off the books, right? The Giants have alot of money to spend, regardless of Zitos contract, and if Zito doesnt want to rework it, cut his a$$. They can buy his contract out for less money than they would if they decided to keep him. I think they would be in their legal right, since Zito is in breech of contract. The Giants didnt get the player they signed.

hey thanks for all the ideas, guys! I don't believe it, I've made a hot thread!!! lol.

But seriously, I was considering texas a while back, now don't hate me for this (lol), but there's something about the rangers that turns me off--i think it's cuz bush used to own them, lmfao.

But seriously, I probably won't do the pirates or the rays, now that i think about it, just because they're in a ridiculously tough division. Same with the Reds. Giants, A's and Texas are a good choice, bc, at least in my eyes, the AL West is pretty easy, aside from the Angels. If you can get control of the Halos, nobody in that division is stopping you.

The NL West, is...well, even though they've got the dodgers, it's still seriously lacking imo. So I might give Texas a whirl, since the inception of this thread i've already made two dynasties, one with the A's and another with the Giants, but i deleted both, seeing as they were basically only test runs. With the A's, i finished the first year with a B- manager rating, only to find the beginning of the next season began with my manager rating being a big fat F. San fran i actually did quite well on, midway through the second season my manager rating was an A-, even though my MLB team was like, the second or third worst team in the league, all three of my minor league teams were just owning. I had traded Zito for Bill Hall, mainly because I felt that i needed a good 3rd baseman and that he seemed to be the only younger guy that i could get at that moment (beginning of season one).

Anybody got any advice for trading Zito??? Advice, meaning, good people to trade for and what not, lol. thanks.

I wouldnt own something Bush owned either :lol:

Glad to see you figured it out. I cant stand the Rangers, frankly, because they cant win in Arlington. Never been able to. I think its because of the heat down there. The stadium they have is open, and the air cant be cooled. In Houston, they have a really nice temp. controlled atmosphere, and its a really nice place to play IMO. The Rangers play in a bandbox, but so do the Stros.

lol but if you think about it, the game doesn't take heat into consideration, lol.

:D

lol my semi-friend who's ridiculously liberal dressed up as bush today at school for halloween, and kept on saying "i'm going to tax this classroom" and "i'm going to tax this bus" and, pointing at the football team, "You young boys have been automatically signed up for the new United States draft."

it was hilarious, yet incredibly annoying.

I see your points, but the Giants are the perfect club to rebuild from the ground up. If it wasnt for Zito hamstringing the organization, they would have a buttload of bucks to play with. B onds is off the books, right? The Giants have alot of money to spend, regardless of Zitos contract, and if Zito doesnt want to rework it, cut his a$$. They can buy his contract out for less money than they would if they decided to keep him. I think they would be in their legal right, since Zito is in breech of contract. The Giants didnt get the player they signed.

On this game at least, SFG has some decent young pitching (Cain, Lowry, Sanchez), with a phenom in Lincecum.

But other than that they're aged, and the prospects aren't too highly rated. You're essentially going to have to rebuild them through free agency, which isn;t my preferred method.

Not that I expect anyone to adopt "my method", but I prefer tradining more talented players for a couple of solid players. You take a hit at one position where the star was traded, but overall it's a "team updgrade". Players like David Dejesus, Ross Gload, etc and the "type" are solid enough players, easy on the budget and put up numbers that validate their cost. I do understand that not everyone is going to see appeal in paying with David DeJesus when the Uptons and Gomez's and Gonzales' of the world are out there (or the Jay Brice's, Ryan Braun's etc).

Baltimore is another team that could be intersting, especially is one wants to mettle with the big boys.

The Cardinals are another team that one could use, and trade guys like Carpenter, Glaus, Ludwick, etc for younger players and upgrade the team "overall". One oculd also get silly and trade Albert for 2-3 really good prospects. It's downright blasphemy, but could be done.

I would imagine most gamers like to play with a combination of stars, role players, and young talent. Finding the "hidden gems" has always been the fun for me ... the guy that has a salary of $500K but will put up the same numbers as a $3M veteran. Maybe that's the Baseball Propsectus part of me.

Most folks seemingly go after the stars first, and I understand that. I usually spend my first season trading aging stars for solid mid-level players with lower contracts, but still perform at a decent level ... and free up cap room. Then I add a realistic star or two to the team, and continue form there. If you use a team with a limited budget, it's a continual process that keeps the game challening and fun.

There is also the potential to exploit some of the bad "trading block" moves that some teams make in this game. Some teams put guys on the block that they'd never put in real life. But, you play the game with an understanding that it is a game.

I'm always interested in a frnachise/dynasty where one rebuilds a team. I like to se the various way people accompish it. But, few seem to have the patience to actually go through with it ... but that's another topic.

yeah the cards actually might be interesting...haha, lol.

see, the thing is, i'm kind of a leecher in the sense that i like to look up online for those "hidden gems" to see which ones are the best in the game, lmfao.

also, it should be noted that i'm playing w/ the mvp 08 mod and budgets off, which i forgot to mention, lmfao. The reason i want a rebuilding team is to challenge myself--i tend to get too frustrated too easily, and if i had budgets on as well as a crappy team, let's just say i'd get a little too angry, lol.

so yeah, big/small contracts don't matter at all to me....i just want to have somewhat of a challenge instead of just picking like, the yanks or mets, who can virtually sign anybody and have no limitations whatsoever, bc that would be waaay too easy, you know?

My problem with the O's is that they're in too tough of a division, lmfao. The only team i would consider being in that division is the jays, or the rays, lol. Jays bc all my family lives in toronto, so obviously i feel a little bit of a connection to that team seeing as my first ever game at the age of 3 was a jay's game, where a YOUNG roy halladay faced off another YOUNG ken griffey jr and the seattle mariners, lol. it was good stuff, i remember playing the demo for mlb 98 or w/e, lol.

But back to the discussion of rebuilding franchises!!!!

I actually came up with an idea for a Prince Fielder trade to the Oakland A's.. Here's what I think might be a possible trade, this is more of a real-life trade rather than a video game trade though.

A's trade the ff:

Huston Street

Justin Duchscherer

Ryan Sweeney or Travis Buck

Greg Smith or Dana Eveland

Vin Mazzaro

for Prince Fielder and Alcides Escobar.

I'll break down some of the trade pieces..

Huston Street: Gives the Brewers a closer. Given all their bullpen woes this season, I'd think they would like to have Street.

Justin Duchscherer: Gives the Brewers a good starting pitcher option. Doosh led the majors in ERA for some time last season, but he did get hurt come August I think. With both Sheets and CC likely to leave the Brewers, they could use another starting pitcher.

Ryan Sweeney or Travis Buck: Both are ML ready outfielders, although I think the Brewers will be more interested in Sweeney. He'd be a younger, cheaper option for CF compared to exercising Mike Cameron's $10M option..

Greg Smith or Dana Eveland: Smith is a crafty left-hander who gets by with throwing pitches that have a lot of movement. Eveland, on the other hand, is a left-handed sinker baller. Both Smith and Eveland, I think, project to either a 3rd or 4th starter.

Mazzaro: Hard-throwing right hander.. Probably a year away from the majors.. Oakland can throw him into this deal given their surplus of young pitching.

I don't think I need to explain the impact of Prince Fielder, while Alcides Escobar gives them a shortstop prospect who looks to be one year away from cracking the bigs, so he can be their starting SS in 2010. Bobby Crosby's contract expires after 2009 so there wouldn't be a logjam at SS.

Then you can have Fielder play DH, move Jack Cust back to left field.. Move Carlos Gonzalez to CF (if you trade Sweeney). Come 2010, Crosby and Cust come off the books, and you can call up Aaron Cunningham to play left field and the aforementioned Escobar to take over SS. I think Adrian Cardenas would be ready to take over 2nd base by around that time.

I'll try to think up of some moves for the Pirates as well.

tried this out, but i guess i'm missing something...i don't ever remember mvp letting you trade more than 3 ppl per side, and when i tried to break it up, so that the top 3 listed went for fielder and the bottom 3 went for escobar, it said that the brewers would go over the 100 player limit, so therefore the trade was invalid.

The trade looks like a good one, you've got some planning already done (lol), but idk exactly how you want that one to work out, lol.

I managed to break up that deal into Fielder for Street/Doosh/Sweeney and Escobar for Smith/Mazzaro and they went through.

I did this trade in the offseason prior to the 2009 season (which I will be presenting here soon but I'll be using the Indians).

Maybe you can cut somebody insignificant from the Brewers. An A ball player who won't figure to make the bigs maybe.. Or something like that..

I managed to break up that deal into Fielder for Street/Doosh/Sweeney and Escobar for Smith/Mazzaro and they went through.

I did this trade in the offseason prior to the 2009 season (which I will be presenting here soon but I'll be using the Indians).

Maybe you can cut somebody insignificant from the Brewers. An A ball player who won't figure to make the bigs maybe.. Or something like that..

yeah, i just tried that trade after cutting the worst single A player on their roster, and it still didn't work. They declined the trade :(

Anyhow, i don't NEED prince. I can definitely make do with another player somewhat of his calibre.

Archived